What And Where Should You Buy To Make Thai-Style Sticky Rice?

tubehero

Dear all,

I want to ask what and where you should buy to make Thai-style sticky rice, apart from the rice itself?

As I'm going to leave Bangkok, I want to buy necessary tools so that I can make sticky rice at home.

My sincere thanks,

We use one of the rice cookers that has a hinged top and a steam escape valve. Rice goes in the plastic basket provided with the cooker and is steamed. Great for warming it up when it is a leftover as well.

I prefer this method as I often can taste a flavor from the traditional method using the woven basket that I don't like.

The basket and pot shown in the above thread would certainly be a cheaper original acquisition cost.

Hi Stoneboy, I have clicked on the link you gave and read the instruction.

There is one detail that I don't understand. It said: "Secondly place the rice in the conical shaped basket and place over the aluminum pot which is full of boiling water. Ensure rice is cooked through before serving."

Now, does it mean that the rice is cooked in the aluminum pot? I am confused. If there is only boiling water in the aluminum pot, how can it be enough to cook the rice?

Thank you.

Hi Stoneboy, I clicked on the link you gave and there is one detail that I don't understand.

It said: "Secondly place the rice in the conical shaped basket and place over the aluminum pot which is full of boiling water. Ensure rice is cooked through before serving."

Does it mean that the rice is cooked on the aluminum pot? If there is only boiling water in the aluminum pot, how can it be enough to cook the rice?

Sticky rice is steamed, not boiled. Traditionally it's cooked in a conical basket over boiling water. However, the basket is an absolute pain to clean afterwards. Plus you need to monitor the water to make sure it's boiling steadily and doesn't dry out.

I have an aluminium basket that fits on top of my rice cooker which I find much more convenient.

1. Soak the rice in water for 3-6 hours.

2. Put a couple of inches of water in the rice cooker and turn it on.

3. Line the basket with a single layer of muslin. (A clean handkerchief will do just as well.)

4. Drain the rice and put it in an even layer on the muslin.

5. Put the basket on the rice cooker and cover with the rice cooker lid.

The rice will be cooked in about 30 minutes. If you're not going to eat it immediately, tip it out and break it up to release the steam. Otherwise it will go soggy.

This is my steamer. It sits on top of my rice cooker, and I then cover it with the original rice cooker lid. I bought mine in a local hardware shop in Ayutthaya, though I'm pretty sure that any supermarket will have one. (That's assuming that you're in Thailand. If not, your local Chinatown would be the best bet.)

post-55840-0-48265400-1332044180_thumb.j

^ Yes that is the idea. It's not hard to wash a piece of cloth.

Also the rice grains can't fall through the large holes in the steamer.

A lot of rice cookers come with these steamer trays.

Edited by gusG

This method only requires a pot (to boil the water in), a splatter screen (to put the sticky rice on), and a large bowl (to trap the steam). Results have been excellent.

Hmmm. Can't post a link but if you search for "shesimmers" and "sticky rice" you'll find it.

This method only requires a pot (to boil the water in), a splatter screen (to put the sticky rice on), and a large bowl (to trap the steam). Results have been excellent.

Hmmm. Can't post a link but if you search for "shesimmers" and "sticky rice" you'll find it.

The link is http://www.shesimmers.com/2010/09/thai-recipe-easiest-way-to-cook-sticky.html.

I've tried Leela's method three times and found it didn't work for me. (Normally she's extremely reliable.) The timing was very unpredicatable. On one of the occasions it took over an hour to cook the rice. Also, the splatter screen wasn't easy to clean. (I wonder whether her splatter screen might be nylon, so easier to clean. Mine is steel.)