Toyota Fortuna

carmine

Hi, i'm buying a Fortuna and considering getting sat nav. I am aware that the standard equipment toyota use can be changed to english but does it also automatically update road changes? secondly can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much it costs?

Thanks

Are the map updates really free?!

I'm seriously pissed off at Toyota for screwing their customers by charging 30k just for map updates.

I've got a 2007 Camry DVD-Navigator, factory DVD and navigation system, freakin map is 3 years old, no new airport on the map.

Kindly confirm and provide details if they are now free.

I'm seriously pissed off at Toyota for screwing their customers by charging 30k just for map updates.

I've got a 2007 Camry DVD-Navigator, factory DVD and navigation system, freakin map is 3 years old, no new airport on the map.

Even if free it will be out of date why not download a unlocked version onto a sd card and use then forget Toyota.

Yep. I can't recall the actual date of the policy change, but IIRC it was late in 2010 or early 2011.

It was people power that forced their hand BTW - wanting 30K just to have Suvharnabhumi on the map lead to an online-driven petition by thousands of Thai Camry owners....

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

MoonRiver, thanks for the info! Possible for you to direct me or provide links to the policy change? I want to go to Toyota armed with information should the dealer or technicians decide to rip me off.

Honestly, this is the best piece of news I've heard about this car since we bought it.

Carmine, road updates do not happen automatically. You'll need to understand more on how GPS systems work, factory fitted in cars are no different than the portable ones (in practice). You will need to get the maps updated as the actual roads get added or removed. If you are asking about the update costs for the map on a factory fitted system, get a written quote from Toyota! Never get anything verbally, it's how I got screwed in the first place.

John 1, rizla, factory units on the Toyota (at least on the 2007 Camry), are fitted with DVD maps. It actually has 2 CD systems, one for music the other for the Navigation. No SD, or external memory units. I know other manufacturers opted to go with Garmin system (factory fitted Honda for example), so their maps are on SD cards.

MoonRiver, thanks for the info! Possible for you to direct me or provide links to the policy change? I want to go to Toyota armed with information should the dealer or technicians decide to rip me off.

Honestly, this is the best piece of news I've heard about this car since we bought it.

Carmine, road updates do not happen automatically. You'll need to understand more on how GPS systems work, factory fitted in cars are no different than the portable ones (in practice). You will need to get the maps updated as the actual roads get added or removed. If you are asking about the update costs for the map on a factory fitted system, get a written quote from Toyota! Never get anything verbally, it's how I got screwed in the first place.

John 1, rizla, factory units on the Toyota (at least on the 2007 Camry), are fitted with DVD maps. It actually has 2 CD systems, one for music the other for the Navigation. No SD, or external memory units. I know other manufacturers opted to go with Garmin system (factory fitted Honda for example), so their maps are on SD cards.

Is it possible to download maps to a DVD worth researching. I would by pass Toyota if there is any choice even if they give for free which I doubt for you 5 year old Camry.

John 1, map updates by ESRI on Garmin systems are about 500 to 1000 baht per version. I have a old Garmin portable GPS (5 years old) that I just recently updated. I don't mind paying that amount, which I find acceptable, after all someone has to do the work. This is legitimate, not pirated, therefore all warranties are included.

I think Toyota dropped the ball on this, imagine that you bought a car with factory fitted GPS and Toyota saying that it doesn't support it anymore because it is 5 years old..."Too old... you buy new car ok?" How would you feel?

Most maps are encrypted to prevent piracy, and I read from forums that some have tried to download the pirated version of the DVD only to get their system locked up... don't know how true this is but it's believable.

John 1, map updates by ESRI on Garmin systems are about 500 to 1000 baht per version. I have a old Garmin portable GPS (5 years old) that I just recently updated. I don't mind paying that amount, which I find acceptable, after all someone has to do the work. This is legitimate, not pirated, therefore all warranties are included.

I think Toyota dropped the ball on this, imagine that you bought a car with factory fitted GPS and Toyota saying that it doesn't support it anymore because it is 5 years old..."Too old... you buy new car ok?" How would you feel?

Most maps are encrypted to prevent piracy, and I read from forums that some have tried to download the pirated version of the DVD only to get their system locked up... don't know how true this is but it's believable.

I suggest you ask for info on Gps forum. As for Toyota ask them if they have updated map for there unit's last time I asked they said no. There is only one option use Toyota or download pirate copy which I have and work's fine. No shop will sell you updated map for Toyota system as they are tied in with Toyota. This is my experience with the Fortuner.