Cable & Internet Samui

Lovesun

Hi All!

I have been eavesdropping on your forum for a few weeks now, and I want to thank all of you for your very helpful information and tips, from bikes to banks to weather and doctors, you guys know it all!

I will be arriving in Samui in January to live for a few years and was wondering who you guys use as cable and internet providers. Is it quite slow for everyone, or is there a quick option? I will have to do business with Canada and need the fastest connection (as does everyone!)

Sorry to bore everyone with my mundane topic, there has been some really interesting threads latley, some even scary...... I think these are the types of things that are going on all over the world right now, they are not just hitting the south of Thailand. Crazy weather and crime are very serious issues that we all need to do our part and try to make a difference.

Koh Samui is such a wonderful place, everyone who is lucky enough to live there should thank Buddha or whoever you look up to!

Lovesun

Hi All!

I have been eavesdropping on your forum for a few weeks now, and I want to thank all of you for your very helpful information and tips, from bikes to banks to weather and doctors, you guys know it all!

I will be arriving in Samui in January to live for a few years and was wondering who you guys use as cable and internet providers. Is it quite slow for everyone, or is there a quick option? I will have to do business with Canada and need the fastest connection (as does everyone!)

Sorry to bore everyone with my mundane topic, there has been some really interesting threads latley, some even scary...... I think these are the types of things that are going on all over the world right now, they are not just hitting the south of Thailand. Crazy weather and crime are very serious issues that we all need to do our part and try to make a difference.

Koh Samui is such a wonderful place, everyone who is lucky enough to live there should thank Buddha or whoever you look up to!

Lovesun

Provided you have a phone line you can get ADSL through TOT or TT&T and they have different options. The distance from their nearest switch may affect the speed though. We pay ca. Baht 1500/ month for unlimited access with TT&T and although the speed can be up and down, it is generally pretty good. If you want really high speed then you can get an account at the IT Centre in Lamai - which some of our clients have done and for the transmission of big files they go down there to do it. TT&T claim 256kb but we probably average around 180.

I've had ipstar since June, it was a bit flakey to start with but now seems very reliable (maybe the new satellite helped) and quite often keeps contact when my UBC (tv stations) get lost. Not cheap, but I use it to get access to my production machines in Finland via VPN and have no problems there. skype works but has a delay similar to the old days and landlines. I also have tried FTP and no problems there either, sometimes providers block certain ports or access and that could be a problem.