Falang Go Home . . .

Checker

Ian - I'd assumed you had a retirement visa?

But I know what you mean. Having a retirement visa which allows me to stay here for 1 year - why the hell do I have to travel to the Immigration office every 90 days to get another stamp?

To look on the bright side, I've absolutely no doubt its easier for Westerners to be allowed to stay in Thailand (albeit the visa needing to be renewed) than it is for a Thai to move to the UK.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Thais telling falang go home(leave thailand) "? A large number Thais i have met and speak English wish THEY could leave their country.

No doubt that many of these people have never actually lived overseas, view the west as somehow the land of Milk and Honey.

So of course it is an objective opinion.

And if they did ever get the chance to go live there, they'd no doubt wish they were back in Thailand cause they can't get the food that they want.

Actually, in my experience thats not so. I, and my wife have many thai friends who have visited several countries in europe and have also travelled to the US and Canada, My wife has also visited the UK, Germany, Holland, Singapore and China, She would have no problem relocating and often complains that things here are getting worse all the time. I also get the impression from talking to our Thai friends who have traveled regularly that they are also not too happy with the direction their country is taking.

But I know what you mean. Having a retirement visa which allows me to stay here for 1 year - why the hell do I have to travel to the Immigration office every 90 days to get another stamp?

To look on the bright side, I've absolutely no doubt its easier for Westerners to be allowed to stay in Thailand (albeit the visa needing to be renewed) than it is for a Thai to move to the UK.

Actually, I go to Thailand each year on a triple entry tourist visa. That means every 60 days I have to go out of the country. As I only WANT to stay in Thailand 5 months the triple entry works perfectly for me. it's cheaper than a retirement visa and has none of the hassle. And, I can always make my 2 visits to Mae Sai into mini-holidays if I want to.. But, here in Chiang Mai we are only a 4 or 5 hour bus ride to the border. There are many places in Thailand where it takes much longer to do a border run. Two trips in 5 months is not that bad, but I still can't understand the reasoning behind forcing people to spend their money in a foreign country when it serves no purpose. It could all be done in a couple of hours waiting at any immigration office... and much cheaper. And, the tourists money would stay in Thailand.

Actually, I go to Thailand each year on a triple entry tourist visa. That means every 60 days I have to go out of the country. As I only WANT to stay in Thailand 5 months the triple entry works perfectly for me. it's cheaper than a retirement visa and has none of the hassle. And, I can always make my 2 visits to Mae Sai into mini-holidays if I want to.. But, here in Chiang Mai we are only a 4 or 5 hour bus ride to the border. There are many places in Thailand where it takes much longer to do a border run. Two trips in 5 months is not that bad, but I still can't understand the reasoning behind forcing people to spend their money in a foreign country when it serves no purpose. It could all be done in a couple of hours waiting at any immigration office... and much cheaper. And, the tourists money would stay in Thailand.

I suspect the issue here is that you are not really a Tourist Ian, at least not the way the Government see's it. You are in fact retired here for half of the year, that places you in somewhat of a loophole.

It's the same for those younger than retirement age who are not married and wish to live here.

Many of us do not fit into the neat boxes which categorise us in the eyes of Thai Immigration, we therefor have to jump through a less than ideal hoop and its frustrating to have to do so.

BUT, the flip side of this is that we are fortunate that our stays here are not monitored more closely. For those of use who choose to be here full time or for more than 3 months a year, we are lucky we can obtain these perpetual tourist visa's, or retirement visa etc and not have to pay tax on income received from overseas (i.e. pensions, rotational work outside of Thailand, i.e. oil industry).

I suspect that some in the government may be well aware of these tax loop holes and the fact that they could be receiving more income from tax, however they may also be well aware that any change in policy is likely to result in a huge exodus of expats to neighbouring countries.

From this perspective I suspect we are welcome and not told to ‘go home’ !

Considering the amount of money I leave behind in Thailand each year they should be thankful for my stay. Just because it's cheaper for me to live in Thailand during Canada's winter doesn't mean I'm not helping Thailand. It's Canada's loss and Thailand's gain. Through excessive taxes over 40 years of being a working stiff i earned every penny of the three pensions I get in Canada. And, so far I'm not a big drag on Canada's medical system either.

I love threads like this. It gives the people who feel that Thais want them to go home the opportunity to gain a little insight into what it must be like to be an immigrant in their home country...

Not really. There are many rights allocated to immigrants in the USA that are not had here by farang. Overall, I would consider Thailand's government fairly unaccommodating to immigrants.

What happens is that many farang have not gotten laid in their home countries since the 1970's so when they come to Thailand the fact that they can get a gf on their first day makes Thailand just the World's most wonderful, flawless country.

For those less desperate, Thailand is another place on the map and a very flawed one at that.

I think you are guilty of over-simplification; many foreigners are not here because of easy bargirls (mainly that is a tourist activity) but choose to be here for innumerable other reasons. You obviously are not one of those who have "not gotten laid since the 70s". So why are you here? Edited by pastitche

I'm always getting told to go home........apparently I blether too much huh.png

And usually by bar staff - not just in Thailand. Yes?

It happens every night at quitting time...

"Drink up ladies and gentlemen. The bar is closing in 30 minutes."

Now if you are a Scot or an Irishman that is time to order 2 more rounds.

Exactly. You'll not often see an Englishman buying a round...

• Like 2

And, considering that this topic is about Thais telling me to go home... well I am taking their advice. I'm leaving in 6 days back to the land of the wet and cold. At least I won't be bothered in the afternoon like today, by a pretty woman knocking on my door and trying to seduce me. They just KNOW I'm an easy pushover for fluttering eyelashes and a cute tush barely covered in tight jean shorts. There are a FEW things I'm going to miss for the next 7 months.

• Like 1

And, considering that this topic is about Thais telling me to go home... well I am taking their advice. I'm leaving in 6 days back to the land of the wet and cold. At least I won't be bothered in the afternoon like today, by a pretty woman knocking on my door and trying to seduce me. They just KNOW I'm an easy pushover for fluttering eyelashes and a cute tush barely covered in tight jean shorts. There are a FEW things I'm going to miss for the next 7 months.

You really have no idea at all just how pathetic you sound.

• Like 1

We all get told to go home on pretty much a daily basis, right here on TV. cool.png

And all the other idiots who can't stop complaining, moaning, seem to be so unhappy with so much in Thailand, especially with the Thais; go home, if its so much whatever . . . Just go away and let the rest of us who like the Thais the way they are, get on with enjoying this lovely place. I'm sick of seeing Argo situations, road rage and misunderstandings which are totally visitor created, by visitor who are suggesting the Thais need to change and do it their way. The thais have their own ways of doing stuff and it works for them.

• Like 2

Ian,

please send me a half a mile of icy road, some snow for my garden and a few cubic meters of icecold clean air to lessen my homesickness for a few hours.

After having lived where Ian does for a number of years let me assure you absolutely the only thing a person would miss is large groups of Thai women knocking on ones door.

After having lived where Ian does for a number of years let me assure you absolutely the only thing a person would miss is large groups of Thai women knocking on ones door.

he lives in pattaya? :o

he lives in pattaya? ohmy.png

Wrong there. But I was talking about where he lives in Canada anyway.

Only 2? Understandable if it is refering to the Blether; hard to drink while blethering!

At the local market a few weeks ago. Waiting for girlfriend, moseyed over to a table of knives and such, hands in pocket, looking. Woman said, "You buy?" I smiled and said, "No, thank you, just looking."

She picked up the knife Rambo used in his last movie, shook it at me and said, "No looking. Only buy. Go home."

Clear enough.

"Thais telling falang go home(leave thailand) "? A large number Thais i have met and speak English wish THEY could leave their country.

No doubt that many of these people have never actually lived overseas, view the west as somehow the land of Milk and Honey.

And if they did ever get the chance to go live there, they'd no doubt wish they were back in Thailand cause they can't get the food that they want.

BINGOOO

I don't recall a Thai person EVER explicitly telling me to go home. However, it is common to encounter Thais who ASSUME I am going to go home soon, and after when learning I'm not, look like they're not processing the information.

I have the same experience, I have yet to meet a Thai who wants me to go home, but because the majority of foreigners they meet are tourist I get asked when I am going home, the Thai people I meet are usually surprised when I say I live here, they then ask all the questions about what I do, if I love Thailand, if the women are pretty and a few other questions, of course there are the Thais who are confused about why anyone who is not Thai would want to live here, then after talking about being married to a Thai and about others working in Thailand brings some clarification and eases the confusion.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Edited by TomTao

I have taken my wife to Cambodia Malaysia,Burma and Indonesia and she has had a problem with the food in every one of those countries. I would love to take her back to meet my brothers and sisters and see where I grew up. But the truth is she would have a hard time even though I know my sisters would be falling all over themselves to show her a good time. I suppose if I could find a real Thai restaurant it would help a lot.

But just isn't going to happen with the paranoia going on in the states.

I've lived and worked in four countries outside Australia, Cambodia, Indonesia, Japan and Fiji, and I've never felt welcome in any. I guess it's because they feel foreigners are there taking their jobs, in spite of my time there being government and union approved, and having work permits.

Japanese were probably the worst in blatantly not wanting foreigners there.

If you're in work that they obviously can't do, like English teaching, then it may be different.

I've lived and worked in four countries outside Australia, Cambodia, Indonesia, Japan and Fiji, and I've never felt welcome in any. I guess it's because they feel foreigners are there taking their jobs, in spite of my time there being government and union approved, and having work permits.

If you're in work that they obviously can't do, like English teaching, then it may be different.

Well there was that little thing about being occupied after WW II and a million Japanese women dating or going home with GI's. Then there was the White Australia policy that probably started the Japanese anger that led to WW II in the first place.

Well there was that little thing about being occupied after WW II and a million Japanese women dating or going home with GI's. Then there was the White Australia policy that probably started the Japanese anger that led to WW II in the first place.

Not by the memoires of Mister Churchill, he pointed to the US who forced Japan go to war, and he blames them also for the dawnfall of the Weimar republic who's brought Mr. Hitler to power.

allofftopic.gif of course