Motorcycle Rules Of The Road And Laws

This past month I have been stopped 3 times a week by police saying that I cannot drive in any lane other then the left lane on my motorbike. They say 1000 baht fine and pay at station then accept 100 baht and a handshake. Today I was stopped again and he said same thing. I said I drive now 60 km if I go in left lane I would never arrive...he said left lane...I said it would be dangerous to drive the speed limit in left lane....he said again left lane...... They always let the Thai folks go and single me out. Who the heck wants to pay a few hundred thousand baht on a bike to only drive it in the left lane..... This is on Petkasem road between nakon pathom and Bankhae...

Is there a place where I can see the actual bylaw?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the police this is the law. But there are some people here claiming it is not. I really don't care i just pay the police off. The most left lane is far to dangerous to drive in. Especially if your bike is bigger and faster. Most cars cant keep up with me in normal traffic (things change if they go over 140)

Just pay up its one of those stupid laws or don't stop (some people just dont stop)

I don't have the bylaw...but I know it actually is the law.

I kinda though that also vaguely remember reading this somewhere about 10 yrs ago. This is the first time in my 10+ years here that it has become an issue..... Oh well as you say pay the piper...

I don't have the bylaw...but I know it actually is the law.

The police are lying through their teeth actually.

There is NOTHING in the Thai Land Traffic Act that states motorcycles are required to stay in the left-most lane.

Sections 33 and 34 of the Land Traffic act state that ALL vehicles should stay left except when overtaking, road is less than 6m wide, road is one way, left lane is a bus lane, it is necessary to be in correct lane when approaching a junction, etc etc.

If you have some free time and want to have some fun, next time the brown mafia tries to scam money out of you for not being in the left lane challenge them to show you what law you have broken. They can't and will eventually send you on your way as they see other victims roll by. Of course if you're in a hurry it's faster to just grease 'em and go.

Please note that there are many areas where police have put up signs stating motorcycles should stay left. Similarly, some flyover and bridges are off limits to bikes and others aren't. You have to look for the signs. At the end of the day you have to remember that time is money and everything in Thailand is negotiable jap.gif

Happy Trails!

T

• Like 1

if all vehicles must keep left except when overtaking the answer is in the words of the law itself ......

excuse me officer ,Lets not be silly ,you can clearly know i was in this lane because i was overtaking slower traffic

it would be completely wreckless of me to overtake them on the inside since drivers can turn left at any time and that would

cause a terrible accident ,you should give 100thb to me for my excellent driving ,quick ,drop it in my helmet when no one is looking

I printed out that section of the Thai Land Traffic Act in both English and Thai and used to carry it in my wallet to great effect. But I have no more patience for the brown mafia so these days I just don't stop smile.png

Perhaps you could upload this specific act for us ?

I took a drivers license for motorbike in Korat just a few months ago.

I looked at their information video and did the computerized test, both in English.

There was nothing saying you should keep outside files with your motorbike

As said before the same rules apply for cars and bikes, keep left and overtake to the right.

This is still not how it works in reality...

Section 35 of the Land Traffic Act says that " The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle......shall keep to the kerbside of the roadway as close as possible". So that's why all the trucks and buses are in the left hand lane !! rolleyes.gif Full act here http://www.thailawon...-2522-1979.html

Oops, missed that one. But you omitted the next paragraph, stating that this does only apply to roads with one lane and without a bus lane

"If such a roadway is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left-hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left-hand side lane or close to the bus lane, as the case may be."

Section 35 of the Land Traffic Act says that " The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle......shall keep to the kerbside of the roadway as close as possible". So that's why all the trucks and buses are in the left hand lane !! rolleyes.gif Full act here http://www.thailawon...-2522-1979.html

Oops, missed that one. But you omitted the next paragraph, stating that this does only apply to roads with one lane and without a bus lane

"If such a roadway is divided into two or more traffic lanes in the same direction or has a bus lane specifically arranged on the left-hand side, the driver shall drive the vehicle in the outermost left-hand side lane or close to the bus lane, as the case may be."

Yes, was not exactly sure what that meant.

I thought about asking a traffic cop next time I am stopped, but I know the answer already

100 baht.

Conclusion:

For single lane road, cop is right. for speedways with two or more lanes the cop is wrong, don't pay!

I ageee that it is dangerous to drive on the roadside with speed. It's like a circus, anything can happen there.

Have seen lots more over the past 3-4 weeks in BKK. It's definitely some sort of money making initiative. Before this month I haven't seen them for ages.

100b, if it's not clear to do a ride by, or there's more cops a bit further down so can't do a ride off.

I just smile, give 'em 100b and leave it at that, arguing isn't worth my time or energy for a lousy 100b. If it's clear and there's an opportunity to ride by, I'm there.

Edited by strollling

It's amazing what lengths and how many lives the brown mafia will put at risk to stop an innocent biker in the middle or right hand lane.

Not too long ago i had an officer run out across two lanes of traffic to stop me in the right hand lane, lucky for me some cars and a bus nearly hit him, anyway i didn’t really have the chance to safely stop for him without being hit up the arse by another motorist. It was at the point of passing him he signaled another officer to risk their life and run across the same two lanes to stop me, this act of desperation pi55ed me off a little and as i wasn't in an area i usually visit so i decided to nip past him.

I've had officers jumping out from parked busses and left-hand lane roadblocks trying to stop me while driving past the parked bus or roadblock in the middle lane, it's not like i was going to wait behind the bus or roadblock all day, what do they expect me to do??

I try not to stop for them unless it's close to my home or place of work where i can usually tell them my job and they let me go.

As mentioned earlier all vehicles should keep to the left unless overtaking.

You see, the police are clever. They set up their road blocks(in BKK anyway) far down the street so you can't see them if you were waiting at the lights. They also try to make sure there are no right turns anywhere nearby, so you can't use that excuse. So when you speed away from the lights you will most likely not be in the left lane. You simply cannot argue that you were overtaking as there are probably no cars etc anywhere near you. Now before you all say that that wouldn't matter anyway, in my experience it does. They once set up a road block on rama IV too near a bend, I was going around the outside of a truck and then i saw them. 4-5 police jump out, so i have no choice but to stop. i pointed out that i was overtaking the truck and he looked at the truck and said i was right and could go. Lucky as i didnt have my license with me. Another time i was in the right lane about to make a U-turn, they stopped me and when i pointed out the U-turn sign, he smiled and told me to go. Needless to say they never set up a road block near that U-turn sign again.

I now know where they set up their road blocks and if i have to drive that way then i just keep left and they always let me drive through while stopping everyone else not in the left lane. Most police in Bkk have to do their morning traffic duties outside schools and junctions etc once they finish that they have a little break and set up the road blocks about 10am -12pm after lunch they do the 1-3 shift and later the night shift. Luckily they don't do this everyday, but usually mid month and the end of the month.

The only times i had to pay them the 100-200Baht was when i actually did break the traffic laws and i would rather pay that than pay 2-3 times as much down the police station.

What I love about this forum is that “probably” all people who say that the police have it wrong probably cannot read Thai. Still they can use strong words like the police are liars... while depending on partly unofficial translations of the Thai law.

What I love about this forum is that “probably” all people who say that the police have it wrong probably cannot read Thai. Still they can use strong words like the police are liars... while depending on partly unofficial translations of the Thai law.

what I love about this forum is when people slag off other posters BUT do not actually post ANY information to repute what they say.

I do remember some time ago that a Thai newspaper did an editorial about this subject and came to the same conclusion as the majority of posters. That bikes do not have to stay to the left hand lane. they can overtake slower moving traffic.

Edited by thaicbr

Section 35 of the Land Traffic Act says that " The driver of a truck, passenger vehicle, motorcycle......shall keep to the kerbside of the roadway as close as possible". So that's why all the trucks and buses are in the left hand lane !! rolleyes.gif

Full act here http://www.thailawon...-2522-1979.html

'm

Buses' in the left lane cheesy.gif Me and my bike in the left lane cheesy.gif Only on opposite day.

At the risk of being branded an 'a*****e, I must say that ,in my humble opinion,

the phrase,'Motorcycle Rules of The Road....'

as conceived in Thailand is something of an Oxymoron '.

neh ?

What I love about this forum is that "probably" all people who say that the police have it wrong probably cannot read Thai. Still they can use strong words like the police are liars... while depending on partly unofficial translations of the Thai law.

what I love about this forum is when people slag off other posters BUT do not actually post ANY information to repute what they say.

I do remember some time ago that a Thai newspaper did an editorial about this subject and came to the same conclusion as the majority of posters. That bikes do not have to stay to the left hand lane. they can overtake slower moving traffic.

Than please share that information with us? Point to the correct information regarding this issue...

P.S. I not say that anybody is wrong, I would only love to see this in "official" writing before I call anybody a liar

Edited by Richard-BKK

What I love about this forum is that "probably" all people who say that the police have it wrong probably cannot read Thai. Still they can use strong words like the police are liars... while depending on partly unofficial translations of the Thai law.

Than please share that information with us? Point to the correct information regarding this issue...

P.S. I not say that anybody is wrong, I would only love to see this in "official" writing before I call anybody a liar

your the one saying its wrong. You find the info. lazy bastard :D

your the one saying its wrong. You find the info. lazy bastard biggrin.png

Sorry friend, I did NOT say that the people who say that the police are wrong are right or wrong... I only wonder how they know with so much certainty that they are right as they “probably” cannot read Thai language....

• Like 1

there IS a law that states vehicles must keep as left as possible

as usual ,its not whats in the law thats important

rather its how the Royal Thai Police choose to enforce that law thats important

there is also a law against :

prostitution

trading on public footpaths

after market pipes

urination on the side of the road

engine modifications

speeding

u -turning in some places

driving on sidewalks

the list could go on forever

most things are left up to the police discretion of enforcement / punishment / taking a % of the profits / taxing everyone who does it instead of actually stopping it etc

I posted the link to the translation by Thailawonline but think it goes without saying this is not an official translation, I'm not sure there is such a thing, and was only posted for information purposes.

Yes I could have posted the Thai version but that would be against forum rules (English only except in Thai language forum). I do read Thai to a reasonable extent, but thought the link posted would have contained a decent translation. Was amiss not to state "unofficial translation- info only" when posting said link.