Recommended Wife-Friendly Bar Or Nightclub In Bangkok?

tubehero

Hi Mango1969, I am also interested in the Huntsman but have never been there. What kind of music is played in that place?

Their house band is a PH band that plays typically current and recent pop and dance type tunes.

They also have a long happy hour, 3 - 9 pm daily, with buy one and get one specials on their house drinks...

But it's in the basement of the Landmark, a bit darker and more insulated...and certainly a different kind of people watching, probably most commonly some older tourist types and their GFs of the day/evening.

But that said, it's a comfortable place, pretty good food and easy for talking prior to 9 pm when the band starts. After that, not so easy to carry on a conversation, though the music is generally regarded as pretty good.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For something completely different try Sundowners at Imperial Queens Park on Soi 22

All Farang band. Kind of an odd collection of older guys but they would easily one of the better bands in Bangkok....mostly classic and 80's rock when I was there......

Sounds like the band name kind of befits the demographics of the band... laugh.png

Don't hesitate to take your wife to some of the bars at Soi Cowboy. Preferably a place with a good show (Long gun).

She may resist for one moment, but don't take it seriously: women love this stuff. She can't go there with a friend or alone, obviously. So you can give her a special experience she can later talk about.

I have done it with many "good" girls from Thailand and other countries, and they were all quite excited and found it a real experience. And the bars there are totally harmless.

I had a "good" Thai girl persuade me to do that one time, so we went together... Ended up chatting and drinking inside with a couple of the female bar staff.

After a half hour or so, my "good" girl date, who had been talking in Thai to one of the bar girls there while I chatted with the other, suddenly got up and stomped out. Later, the "good" girl claimed to me that the BG she'd been chatting with told her I was a regular customer there who regularly barfined one or the other of them... When in fact, I didn't know nor had I ever met before either of those BGs, nor was I ever a regular customer there or anywhere else nearby.

So needless to say, after that experience, I wouldn't be much on taking a wife or GF around those parts.

Is Isaan Tawan Daeng an option? http://www.afana.org/tawan.htm

A great night out of fun, Thai style with comedy and cabaret shows on stage, singers, bands and more than a few ladyboy dancers and performers usually. But a farang couple by themselves, especially if not a longer term resident of Thailand and/or a Thai speaker, might find themselves a bit out of water there.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Is Isaan Tawan Daeng an option? http://www.afana.org/tawan.htm

A great night out of fun, Thai style with comedy and cabaret shows on stage, singers, bands and more than a few ladyboy dancers and performers usually. But a farang couple by themselves, especially if not a longer term resident of Thailand and/or a Thai speaker, might find themselves a bit out of water there.

I used to go to Isan Tawan Daeng regularly but IMHO, it has gone downhill in the last few years, becoming more Gay/Ladyboy oriented. That said; a good time can still be had there. I usually recommend that first timers bring some ear protection such as a bit of cotton as sound levels there can border on painful. Your chances of getting a good table are better if you arrive before 10pm, weekend nights especially.

The staff always seem to go out of their way to make western guests comfortable and when things really get going, it's almost impossible not to interact with neighboring tables. They do tend to bring un-ordered items such as fruit plates and dishes of nuts to the table. These are NOT complimentary: eat any and it's yours. Carefully checking your bill before paying is also a good idea.

Also ... if romantic is more the go ... LongTable near the junction of Asoke and Sukhumvit Rds.

http://www.longtablebangkok.com/

Took my sister (middle 50's) there, she had a Brandy Alexandria and loved it.

Great view towards Bangkok, not Hi-So, not pushy, nice music, great views, nice mix of people.

Because it's not crowded, not so much people watching, more an atmosphere type of place.

Long Table has a nightly happy hour where they have buy one, get one free on a limited list of drinks from 5 to 7:30 pm daily. They also have a 399++ baht deal that allows you to choose three appetizer type items from their menu. Pleasant atmosphere and a very nice view of BKK from the 25th floor of the Column Building along Asoke Road.

The original design there came from the same people who did the Bed Supperclub, so it's a kind of take your shoes off and sit on large cushions kind of place.

Thanks for that info on the 2 for 1 offer ... didn't know that.

It's always been a 'after' event place so never been there before 9pm.

Surprising that it's by the same crowd that did the Bed Supper Club.

though I've never been there, just see the inside shots with little appeal for me.

Do you recommend it, BSC?

The already mentioned Saxophone, V9 or Tawan Daeng are great.

Let me ad the Barbican in Soi Tanya. Good food, changing specials and music.

For the slightly "spicy & adventerous"- evening: Black Pagoda at Patpong 2 offer great music, a relaxed atmosphere and a newly opened pool (billards)- section.

• 4 weeks later...

Even as a sponsor of this forum - I go to Fat Gutz on Thonglor between Soi 10 & 12 on a Saturday night for an hour or so. Keith Nolans Love Gone Wrong Band are supurb.. it is a tiny bar - but great atmosphere Second the Sundowner's bar in Imperial Queens Park on Sukhumvit 22 - has Wildside performing Thu Fri and Sat.. I agree they are the best farang Rock band in Bangkok - it is not on the radar of many locals - very few people in there; but for classy entertainment cant beat it. Now quite shamelessly try Checkinn99 - click the advert at the intro of this forum and it opens the face book - in there you will find a number of music clips / photo albums. It is rather a unique place and one for regulars definitely wife friendly.- but one you would easily walk past or ignore from the street. between Sukhumvit 5&7. If you are there on a Sat or Sunday evening (after about 8.30) say hi to me. Chris

• Like 2

Don't hesitate to take your wife to some of the bars at Soi Cowboy. Preferably a place with a good show (Long gun).

She may resist for one moment, but don't take it seriously: women love this stuff. She can't go there with a friend or alone, obviously. So you can give her a special experience she can later talk about.

I have done it with many "good" girls from Thailand and other countries, and they were all quite excited and found it a real experience. And the bars there are totally harmless.

Completely agree.

on a couple of occasions i have been asked to take different groups of girls to see a show in Boystown or a show in Cowboy.

The women i know are VERY curious. And why shouldn't they be

Edited by nocturn

The new, open air bar/restaurant area in what used to be the parking lot on Sukhumvit between soi's 12 & 14 (next to Times Sq.) where Sunrise Tacos and Insomnia are is a very nice place to sit and people watch. Great happy hour prices (3-6pm, bottled Carlsburg B39,.. 6pm-9pm, most drinks B69) and a variety of dining specials.

Take note; as you enter, the right side tables are Sunrise's menu, left side, the Diner's menu.

lol, nothing more romantic than people watching between Nana and Asoke. A real aphrodisac.

Even as a sponsor of this forum - I go to Fat Gutz on Thonglor between Soi 10 & 12 on a Saturday night for an hour or so. Keith Nolans Love Gone Wrong Band are supurb.. it is a tiny bar - but great atmosphere Second the Sundowner's bar in Imperial Queens Park on Sukhumvit 22 - has Wildside performing Thu Fri and Sat.. I agree they are the best farang Rock band in Bangkok - it is not on the radar of many locals - very few people in there; but for classy entertainment cant beat it. Now quite shamelessly try Checkinn99 - click the advert at the intro of this forum and it opens the face book - in there you will find a number of music clips / photo albums. It is rather a unique place and one for regulars definitely wife friendly.- but one you would easily walk past or ignore from the street. between Sukhumvit 5&7. If you are there on a Sat or Sunday evening (after about 8.30) say hi to me. Chris

what difference would it make if you are a sponsor here there or anywhere?

The new, open air bar/restaurant area in what used to be the parking lot on Sukhumvit between soi's 12 & 14 (next to Times Sq.) where Sunrise Tacos and Insomnia are is a very nice place to sit and people watch. Great happy hour prices (3-6pm, bottled Carlsburg B39,.. 6pm-9pm, most drinks B69) and a variety of dining specials.

Take note; as you enter, the right side tables are Sunrise's menu, left side, the Diner's menu.

The place you're referring to is the V8 Diner, the somewhat garishly decorated restaurant nextdoor to Sunrise Tacos there.

That said, their relatively new outdoors dining/drinking area where the former grocery store's parking lot used to be is indeed quite pleasant, especially in the evenings.

They have a whole collection of 69 baht happy hour drinks from noon to 9 pm daily including bottles of San Miguel Light and Carlsberg and Baccardi Breezer, among others. And they lately also have a special 3 - 6 pm price of 39 baht on just Carlsberg bottles, as this poster indicated. Also, their regular price on glasses of house red or white wine is 99 baht at all times.

Small tables for drinking, larger tables for eating a meal, a long decorative fountain that sometimes is turned on. Staff there are pretty friendly and helpful, though lately they've been employing a number of students from upcountry who seem to speak almost no English and don't know, as my wife and I discovered last night, what either "white wine" or "mustard" is, even when translated into/spoken in Thai.

Those things aside, it's a perfectly pleasant and affordable place for a meal and/or drinks and doing a bit of Suk Road people watching.

Just don't order their pizza. Revolting is an understatement.

what difference would it make if you are a sponsor here there or anywhere?

Hi nocturne... absolutely right! My preferences still remain the same (and should have used my personal ID) ... I try to make time on a Saturday night to get to Fatgutz (Blues is not everyone's taste - and also need to take into account the tastes your partner).. I do try to avoid places where I am not being visually distracted when I am taking my partner out.. A good time for me - is not always one my wife will enjoy.

Is it just me, or the majority of posters advised for bars with live bands while OP stated he's looking for music "not too loud"?

I've never seen live bands being not too loud in Thailand.

If you're looking for a more quiet time, I'll go with the rest of the posters who recommend places like Long Table. Many higher-range hotels have very enjoyable bars in Bangkok.

pretty good band at the Sundowner Lounge in the Imperial Queen's Park Hotel - about 200+ yards in on Soi 22 of sukumvit - main floor just thru the lobby on the right.... not a lot of people watching except hotel guests walking thru the lobby.... but the band is Wildside... playing old classic rock stuff and pretty decent sound - all falung band... totally wife bringing friendly... one of the surprises of music around town as the hotel hasn't had a band in there for years so not everyone knows about it yet...

• 2 weeks later...

The nice things, re the OP's inquiry, about the side by side outdoor eating areas of the V-8 Diner and Sunrise Tacos along Sukhumvit Road are:

--perfectly wife friendly.

--outdoors with easy views to folks going along the main road

--despite what one poster said above, nothing seedy or Nana-esque at all about that area.

--sometimes music, mostly not... but usually not loud or difficult to have a conversation.

--reasonable prices and decent food offerings.

--a pleasant place to sit outdoors on a BKK evening, provided the weather's OK.

Saxophone, Brown Sugar, and various of the other places are all great...but they're indoors... So it's really not quite the same kind of "people watching."

I'm trying to think of other places around the area where one can eat/drink outdoors and still see a lot of BKK's varied pedestrian street life go by...

For example, there are a bunch of nice eateries with outdoor patio areas on Suk Soi 11-1... in the area of Cheap Charlie's... But they're on a side soi and so pretty much the only foot traffic is customers coming and going... Although, Cheap Charlie's outdoor bar along Soi 11 itself would be such a place...lots of people coming and going there, and fine for a husband and wife couple. Just a bit more spartan than V-8 or Sunrise Tacos.

BTW, stopped by the Huntsman Pub in the basement of the Landmark Hotel last Saturday for some drinks and snacks before an evening out...

It was around dinner time and before the band started later in the evening. So there were only a handful of customers and very quiet, with just some guys watching sports on one of their TVs... Nice comfortable place, air con, smoking and non smoking areas, good happy hour...

But given it's in the basement and there are not even any windows to the outside, the people watching element is pretty much lacking. But it is a good place for a comfortable talk and drinks/meal, especially during the day and evenings prior to the band.

<snip>

Although, Cheap Charlie's outdoor bar along Soi 11 itself would be such a place...lots of people coming and going there, and fine for a husband and wife couple. Just a bit more spartan than V-8 or Sunrise Tacos.

TallGuyJohninBKK, maybe you can explain the success of Cheap Charlie's ?

I look at it, and walk past EVERY time with no desire to stand up and drink beer etc.

EDIT:- ... Or any poster explain ...

Edited by David48

Re the question above, I've never been a customer of CCs, although it's near my neighborhood and I'm passing by there often.

When I do pass by, they usually seem to have some chairs spread out around his little bar-let in the side soi there, so customers can sit down in couples and groups... And some people are standing around the bar also.

As for its popularity, of course, it got the name in the past because of the inexpensive drinks, made it into the various guide books, etc etc... I'm not sure if the drinks there are meaningfully less expensive anymore... A current customer would have to speak to that...

But, re the OP's comment about people watching, Soi 11 is a lively soi with a lot of BKK nightlife going on and thru there... And a perch at CC's certainly would make for an interesting place to watch the world go by for a while.

• Like 1

I used to go to Isan Tawan Daeng regularly but IMHO, it has gone downhill in the last few years, becoming more Gay/Ladyboy oriented. That said; a good time can still be had there.

Last time I was in that area, there were actually two different Tawan Daeng nightclubs directly across the street from each other on Soi Pattanakarn -- the Isaan Tawandaeng you mention with it's cabaret stage show focus and ladyboy element, and then the more Thai country music oriented Tawandaeng on the other side of the road. The Isaan place was always fun, but I always preferred the other nightclub, which usually had very good Carabao style country bands and singers, table dancing and good food and drinks... And never had any bill padded there.

i ate once at the v8 diner and was beyond disappointed at the food. I remember noticing they had a farang dude working and got excited.

The food was kind of bleh in the early going...when it was just an indoors restaurant. But since then and after they added the large outdoors dining area, IMHO, they've improved their menu and the quality of their food...

And I've never seen a farang guy working there any time recently.... The working managers and the staff are all Thai. Though I'm not sure what difference a Thai vs farang manager is supposed to make.

What about places like the Londoner, they're wife friendly and decent, spacious bars. Been a while since I been in there. Most of the pubs around Sukhumvit are ok really. Sometimes I like a pub, a drink no girls hanging about

Londoner... Dubliner.... Robin Hood, Molly Malone's in Soi Convent off Silom Rd... there's a new pub place on Suk Soi 11 as well that supposedly is good, though I haven't tried it yet...

All suitable for a GF or wife for food and drinks.

The Australian on Soi 11 is "ok" with a band...and the cocktail/wine bar place opposite. There's also a new place called Zaks which I haven't been too yet.

There's some serious money being spent down the Soi in an attempt to attract the "hi-so" crowd...dunno whether it will work or just attract the a few well-heeled wrong 'uns. whistling.gif

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL