Visa To Canada For Thai

My Thai girl friend was refused a 90 day visa to visit me in Canada this summer. We have been living together for 1 year and had a 1 year friendship prior to that.

Reasons for refusal

- lenght of stay in Canada? 90 day visit

-purpose of visit, even though a well documented full itinery was given with maps. A letter to the Embassy was submitted outlinning the circumstances, invitation and my financial support backed up by my financial statements (a substantial amount).

Her current employment, she works full time in the construction trade and graduated as a civil engineer. Her employer gave her a 3 month leave of absence with a return to work date and this was translated and certified for the Canadian embassy.

Her personal assets and financial status. She supports her 2 kids upcountry and does not have much cash but I indicated to my Embassy I was paying for flights, and her expenses while we were in Canada.

I am not just whining but want to know if others have run into this? Our age difference is just under 20 years. The hoops she jumped thru to complete this as they required and be unsuccessful makes me wander if they will allow Thais to visit Canada at all. The other odd thing is they never even requested any interviews from either of us?

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks

They obviously think she's not going to leave after her stay.

- Did you apply for single or multiple entry? Also, 90 days may be too long for just a first time visit if she's never been out of Thailand before. How much travel has she done?

- What did you provide for financial support evidence? Just your bank balances? It's good to show both your T4 and bank account balances. Did you sign an affidavit indicating that you would cover all expenses?

Probably the best evidence for her leaving is her return plane ticket. Did you purchase them and provide a copy in your application? When you apply again, apply for a shorter period of time and purchase the return tickets.

- Did you apply for single or multiple entry? Also, 90 days may be too long for just a first time visit if she's never been out of Thailand before. How much travel has she done?

- What did you provide for financial support evidence? Just your bank balances? It's good to show both your T4 and bank account balances. Did you sign an affidavit indicating that you would cover all expenses?

Probably the best evidence for her leaving is her return plane ticket. Did you purchase them and provide a copy in your application? When you apply again, apply for a shorter period of time and purchase the return tickets.

1) The application was for a single entry and leaving less than 90 days later. I never heard of a graduated visa system in Canada - it's long way and there is lots to see.

2) She has not travelled outside Thailand due to work and family commitments.

3) She submitted a return plane ticket reciept to support proof she was returning.

4) I was willing to guarantee her return if needed.

5) I submitted 2 years income tax statements, 40 years of CPP statements, investment porfolio statements and bank account statements. (about 1 mil CDN)

Why would a person reapply after satisfying ALL of theit requirements. It seems my Canadian gov't has a new cash cow? I understand keeping out undesirables but this is far from the case.

When they don't even bother to interview any of the parties you have to wonder if the care to get the real story.

Edited by gerry53

I'm not a professional, but I've applied for plently of visas for Thais in Canada, USA, and the UK. Canada was the easiest out of the 3. I also just got a few through for their Canadian PR. All they have to do is meet the Canadian residency requirement, pass the test, and they're citizens. Canadian's immigration system is easy enough to navigate. The only time I've had visas refused was with the UK, and yes, it did seem that they were just after the cash.

Canadian visas can be granted for various lengths of time. One I received was 3 weeks, another was 2 years. It's depends on the officer. I've continuously applied for 5+ year visas, was never granted it. The US gives out 10 year visas. I've never seen that with CIC.

1) It may be a long way and a lot to see, but that's not CIC's problem. 90 days is a huge amount of time to be taking off work and leaving your 2 kids behind. You're trying to establish that she has ties in Thailand, not that she can pick up and leave everything for 3 months without a second thought. A more appropiate time frame would be a few weeks for a first trip. Length of proposed stay in Canada is something they do look at.

2) That's a problem.

4) Was willing to? I don't know what that means. So you didn't?

Work on her ties in Thailand other than her kids (which to CIC seems like she can leave for months at a time with no problem). Did you provide a copy of her blue book? Does she have any assets that you can show? What is stopping her from staying indefinately in Canada?

Just looking at your case: 20 year age difference, huge income level difference, has 2 kids that don't live with her and she has no issues leaving behind, been together for 2 years, wants to visit for 3 months; I feel that there's a strong posisbility that she'll come over, you'll get married and apply for PR internally and she won't leave. (which is stupid because the PR processing time is faster if you apply outside of the country) You have to proove otherwise.

Every situation is different. Some of the visas that I got through, the applicants didn't have a house, car, job, etc. in Thailand but still got issued visitors visas. Others didn't have return flight tickets and were still granted visas. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

did you fill out the common-law married form and have it notorized???? are you presently living in thailand??? what kind of visa do you have??

I just got back yesterday from canadian embassy and my gf got a 2 1/2 visa without even an interview on her first attempt.. just took 1 week..

1) The application was for a single entry and leaving less than 90 days later. I never heard of a graduated visa system in Canada - it's long way and there is lots to see.

2) She has not travelled outside Thailand due to work and family commitments.

3) She submitted a return plane ticket reciept to support proof she was returning.

4) I was willing to guarantee her return if needed.

5) I submitted 2 years income tax statements, 40 years of CPP statements, investment porfolio statements and bank account statements. (about 1 mil CDN)

Why would a person reapply after satisfying ALL of theit requirements. It seems my Canadian gov't has a new cash cow? I understand keeping out undesirables but this is far from the case.

When they don't even bother to interview any of the parties you have to wonder if the care to get the real story.

My GF is on her 3rd visa (3 years multiple last time), I've never booked a flight in advance before applying for a visa, I don't think it has much if any influence.

I agree with other poster suggesting that 90 days for a first vist is tad too long.

OP, you will never ever get to go to the interview yourself, If there was one for your GF, you wouldn't have been allowed to be present. Her being refused without interview suggests that there were too many wrong/insufficient details in her application.