Professional Cooking Schools In Bangkok

AngryParent

Good luck on your search.

Le Cordon Bleu for Thai food is 360k baht for a 9 month/540 hour course. Students attend class 3 times a week.

Wandee seems to be a contender for Thai food instruction in Bangkok. I have never been there, just only internet searching and here is an outline of their basic 20 day/150 hour course

Course details:

• Thai cooking standard course (46 items) Main dish 25 dishes / Appetizer 9 dishes /dessert 9 dishes / Herb juice 6 drinks : 9 days

• Fruit and vegetables carving : 5 days

• Flower decoration : 1 day

• Art of Napkins : 1 day

• Banana leaves decoration : 1 day

• Food theory : 1 day

• Garland basic 1 : 1 day

• Cooking Testing : 1 day

total : 20 days

Certificate at completion of this course: Certificate from Ministry of Education, Thailand and course transcript

Thai price 35k baht / Non-Thai 49k baht.

There is also an advanced course - Thai price 35k baht / Non-Thai 59k baht (If a Non-Thai takes both then the price is 99k baht.

Wandee looks good but as you can see, working with food, food theory and testing is is 11 days and carving is 5 days...

http://www.wandeethaicooking.com/about_us

UFM offers courses for Thai/Non-Thai and baking students. No prices listed on their website and I did not see anything mentioned of a certificate.

FYI - Most schools that I have seen on the internet are geared towards the tourists with 1 day or 2 day program. Ask the wife to google culinary school in Thai language as I hope that there are more schools out there than the ones listed in English. If she finds any, please can you post the links here. Thanks!

I like the BlueElephant one, if it is the same BlueElephant that has a top class restaurant in the UK.

However, thanks for the information regarding the 540 hours MOE approved course - the Cordon Bleu. That DOES really sound like a good option, just wish I could get it cheaper i.e. around the BlueElephant price. I wonder if local vocational colleges offer such esp. as it is a Thai Ministry of Education course?

Thanks for that. But anything that does not cost 1,000,000 (million) Baht a course?

Try to read tru the site the million baht cost is the grand diploma inclusive of pastry which is what you are not looking for.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve with the recognized certificate.

If you are looking for a job in hotels or overseas restaurant this certificate is the way to go.

Save some money and make sure this is what she wants to do. Have her go sign up for the free courses and classes at the Lumpini Park school. They teach all sorts of things but I think when it comes to cooking they have classes only for Thai cooking which includes different course for desserts, appetizer and main dishes.

FYI: these are not poor and homeless type people that attend these classes. Their are all sorts of people (mainly women) including young and older and a number of women with farang partners.

It is kind of hard to explain where the classes are located but if you just ask somebody in the park they will direct you. The classes are on the opposite side of the main entrance (bts/mrt) and I believe the school building where you sign up is actually across the street from the classes outside the park.

Edited by Nisa

Thanks for that. But anything that does not cost 1,000,000 (million) Baht a course?

Try to read tru the site the million baht cost is the grand diploma inclusive of pastry which is what you are not looking for.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve with the recognized certificate.

If you are looking for a job in hotels or overseas restaurant this certificate is the way to go.

But when considering that the other courses cost almost 200,000 for the BASIC it does not make sense. She could go to London and do it for less!

But I do like the concept of a 3 month full-time course that is recognized by the Ministry of Education.

Save some money and make sure this is what she wants to do. Have her go sign up for the free courses and classes at the Lumpini Park school. They teach all sorts of things but I think when it comes to cooking they have classes only for Thai cooking which includes different course for desserts, appetizer and main dishes.

FYI: these are not poor and homeless type people that attend these classes. Their are all sorts of people (mainly women) including young and older and a number of women with farang partners.

It is kind of hard to explain where the classes are located but if you just ask somebody in the park they will direct you. The classes are on the opposite side of the main entrance (bts/mrt) and I believe the school building where you sign up is actually across the street from the classes outside the park.

This is starting to sound right - a proper Thai college/school that offers accredited courses.

Thanks!

Edited by AngryParent

This is starting to sound right - a proper Thai college/school that offers accredited courses.

Thanks!

My wife went here for cooking to kill some time and to see if it was something she wanted to explore. She loved it for a week but then started looking in on the salon (hair) classes and wanted to give that a try. Turned out she was really into the hair thing and did the two course they offered there (i think each was 2 months) and then went on to go to one of the very well known schools in Bangkok. Lumpini gave her certificates which can get you a job but she wanted more and what was very cool is when she went to the very well known school she just had to go for a short time (much less money) since she already had so much teaching under her belt. I imagine the cooking school would be the same. She would basically be able to get all the basics and more down at Lumpini and then go to a more well known school to get another certificate but only have to attend the advanced classes there. Now my only regret is she wants to open her own shop ;-)

Not sure of your wife's attitude but tell her to go and at least check it out. As I mentioned before, it is free but it is not what you expect for free. My wife made some good friends there. I guess I should mention that the one part that does reflect it being free is it is outside (no air) but has a roof and fans. It wasn't an issue for my wife but then again she didn't go in the hot season.

• Like 1