Horse Power Of Current Thai Models

macknife

People like bikes of all sizes just like people like cars of all sizes, owning a big bike or big car does not mean you have to be a dick head and drive like a lunatic, I prefer most of the time driving between 80/100kph a nice speed and very safe, now and then I will go to 140kph which is very windy and can be scary, owning a big powerful bike does not mean you have to drive to limits you are uncomfortable with!!!

It has nothing to do with bigger brakes, bigger tires etc or power in reserve, it is a bike I have chosen to own because of the look,the sound and it is just great to drive!!

Thanks for answer. Maybe it sounds a bit like a stupid question, but i am used to small bikes. I never thought there would be a need for a "real" big bike. Its just that after some years driving on thai streets i ask myself what bike is the "safest". There are many things to consider. Hard facts like power, handling, brakes, tires, and so on. And things that are more difficult to describe, like "How does the appearance of the bike influence other highway users to pay more respect".

For eample there is one thing noone can deny: If you own such a big bike, noone will laugh at you if you put on the most expensive safety gear, even if you never drive faster than 120kmh. Try this with a CBR150 and many people will laugh at you. So this is also sure one of the advantages of riding a "big" big bike.

In most statistics the powerful bikes have more serious accidents IIRR. But if i drive carefully and looking ahead, is a big bike safer on the highway? How "big" does it have to be to be "safest"? Crazy questions i know. I don't expect an answer, just wanted to explain my initial thougths smile.png

@monty: Who is Wonton?

Dont be cute, you know you have a reputation for having less than full mental capability on this board. After your most stupid idiotic post about the terrorists and how they best choose place next time where farangs hang out to bomb has myself and others designating you as Wanton soup for Brains. The only saving grace here is the more you post the less you probably will have the chance to meet a mate and replicate your DNA. As such i encourage you to add your wisdom ?? on as many posts as possible.

Dont be cute, you know you have a reputation for having less than full mental capability on this board. After your most stupid idiotic post about the terrorists and how they best choose place next time where farangs hang out to bomb has myself and others designating you as Wanton soup for Brains. The only saving grace here is the more you post the less you probably will have the chance to meet a mate and replicate your DNA. As such i encourage you to add your wisdom ?? on as many posts as possible.

Monty, seems you really need a big big bike to get a grip on life. Welcome on board smile.png

The OP might find this site useful. http://www.bikez.com

I can't help thinking the OP's post is a bit like "I've heard in Thailand that some pieces of string are longer than others. How long is a piece of string?"

Not a bad site but it doesn't even have a CBR150, or any scooters that I know in Thailand except for the PCX and it doesn't show the HP values for most of the bikes i looked at.

What I was really trying to ask for is something that is of benefit to others. For example, someone may want to buy a new Click or old Mio and can't decide, so which between the two has more power, ie faster? Maybe someone can't decide between a CBR250 or a Ninja 250, so which has more HP or power so to speak? Should a PCX125 owner buy a new PCX? What's the HP difference?

I'm no expert on bikes but I'm guessing that a bike in the same class with more HP is faster than the other. eg If a CBR250 has 20HP and a Ninja 250 has 25HP then its faster and justifies its higher price.

So a list of HP values for local bikes could benefit others.

I think the flaw with your premise macknife, is that you're comparing scooters and motorbikes. No one buys a Scoopy or a Click, or any scooter for that matter, to go fast. People will (or should) buy a scooter based on a number of variables, not just 'Omg, the PCX 150 has 1 more horsepower - must buy!'

One of the main considerations should be to buy a scooter that fits them; for example, I feel too hunched over on a Scoopy or a Click, but feel much more comfortable on an PCX, Elegance or Hayate; that being said, the PCX feels too big for me, whereas the Elegance and the Hayate feel nimble enough, while still giving me a comfortable ride. These are, of course, my personal opinions - YMMV.

Of course one more consideration that is much more important than straight out speed - remember we're talking scooters here - is torque. Can your scooter get you from 40 to 60 quick enough to take advantage of that gap? Will your scooter get you and your gf up Doi Suthep without labouring too much?

I guess my point is, top speed itself is a rather useless comparison, as it fails to take into account all the different variables of all there different makes and models. Not to mention that you also do not take into account the different weights of all the bikes you listed, which will of course affect how much speed they can get from their horsepower anyway...

The OP might find this site useful. http://www.bikez.com

I can't help thinking the OP's post is a bit like "I've heard in Thailand that some pieces of string are longer than others. How long is a piece of string?"

Not a bad site but it doesn't even have a CBR150, or any scooters that I know in Thailand except for the PCX and it doesn't show the HP values for most of the bikes i looked at.

What I was really trying to ask for is something that is of benefit to others. For example, someone may want to buy a new Click or old Mio and can't decide, so which between the two has more power, ie faster? Maybe someone can't decide between a CBR250 or a Ninja 250, so which has more HP or power so to speak? Should a PCX125 owner buy a new PCX? What's the HP difference?

I'm no expert on bikes but I'm guessing that a bike in the same class with more HP is faster than the other. eg If a CBR250 has 20HP and a Ninja 250 has 25HP then its faster and justifies its higher price.

So a list of HP values for local bikes could benefit others.

I think the flaw with your premise macknife, is that you're comparing scooters and motorbikes. No one buys a Scoopy or a Click, or any scooter for that matter, to go fast. People will (or should) buy a scooter based on a number of variables, not just 'Omg, the PCX 150 has 1 more horsepower - must buy!'

One of the main considerations should be to buy a scooter that fits them; for example, I feel too hunched over on a Scoopy or a Click, but feel much more comfortable on an PCX, Elegance or Hayate; that being said, the PCX feels too big for me, whereas the Elegance and the Hayate feel nimble enough, while still giving me a comfortable ride. These are, of course, my personal opinions - YMMV.

Of course one more consideration that is much more important than straight out speed - remember we're talking scooters here - is torque. Can your scooter get you from 40 to 60 quick enough to take advantage of that gap? Will your scooter get you and your gf up Doi Suthep without labouring too much?

I guess my point is, top speed itself is a rather useless comparison, as it fails to take into account all the different variables of all there different makes and models. Not to mention that you also do not take into account the different weights of all the bikes you listed, which will of course affect how much speed they can get from their horsepower anyway...

Yes very true, however from what I have read on here people do care alot about speed. If you are quite happy with the specs you talked about on say two bikes then you would want to choose the one thats faster than the other right? Maybe one has better accelleration but less top speed than the other, well thats fine and its our choice which we prefer but right now i don't see anyone posting on any thread here a comparison of current thai models. The new PCX compared to say the old or the new click compared to the old Nouvo or new Mio. At least the HP values would give us all a fair idea.

As far as going up hills, 2 years ago i went to Ko Larn near pattaya, it has a very steep hill in the middle of the island that almost everyone has to use daily. All the bikes there were Airblades and Clicks. I asked the Mocy taxi guys why this was so, and they told me that yamaha bikes can't compare or that they couldnt get up the hill. (I've seen some lately though) Torque? HP? I don't know, but i would like to.

Yes very true, however from what I have read on here people do care alot about speed.

Not people who buy scooters. Power, yes; speed, no. There's a difference.

If you are quite happy with the specs you talked about on say two bikes then you would want to choose the one thats faster than the other right?

Wrong. I would choose based on large number factors, not one of them would be top speed.

Maybe one has better accelleration but less top speed than the other, well thats fine and its our choice which we prefer but right now i don't see anyone posting on any thread here a comparison of current thai models. The new PCX compared to say the old or the new click compared to the old Nouvo or new Mio. At least the HP values would give us all a fair idea.

You don't se anyone posting comparisons of top speed of various scooters is because it's basically irrelevant. Sure, some people are interested to know how fast a particular bike can go, but top speed is rarely - if ever - a consideration when it comes to purchasing a scooter. You can compare different classes of scooters like that; it's like comparing a Honda Jazz to a Toyota Camry.

As far as going up hills, 2 years ago i went to Ko Larn near pattaya, it has a very steep hill in the middle of the island that almost everyone has to use daily. All the bikes there were Airblades and Clicks. I asked the Mocy taxi guys why this was so, and they told me that yamaha bikes can't compare or that they couldnt get up the hill. (I've seen some lately though) Torque? HP? I don't know, but i would like to.

Obviously you don't, or you wouldn't be fixated on top speed like you are. Torque and horsepower are much more relevant considerations than top speed, but bear in mind that more of each does not necessarily mean a higher top speed.

Scooter is a, well, a scooter.

Bike is a bike.

I get to 160-170k when the road dictates (in Singapore).

Then that's enough so I back off, and this is not on the expressway.

Clever = not at all.

Safe = not on your nelly.

Fun= laugh like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-VwPo_oNM

(Triumph Street Triple)

Edited by soihok

Scooter is a, well, a scooter.

Bike is a bike.

Lol, my motorbike riding friends back in Australia never let me get away with saying I ride a motorbike when, in fact, I ride a scooter - no matter how many times I insist that the term 'motorbike' is used for both here!

in thai you have a " mo sai " but that normaly means u ride a wave biggrin.png

What? With a foot brake and all?? I don't have the co-ordination for stuff like that! blink.png

the term "BIG BIKE" gets thrown around a lot ,even for the kawasaki boss or the phantom smile.png

I thought the Wave was a 'big bike'!

in thai you have a " mo sai " but that normaly means u ride a wave biggrin.png

What? With a foot brake and all?? I don't have the co-ordination for stuff like that! blink.png

the term "BIG BIKE" gets thrown around a lot ,even for the kawasaki boss or the phantom smile.png

I thought the Wave was a 'big bike'!

usually most everyone i met in gas stations (thai people ) thought my tiger boxer was a "big bike "

maybe its the manual clutch that does it ;)