Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard - Police Launch Investigation

webfact

In what country is it alright to disregard public transit rules and do whatever you want? His balloons could have been filled with ricin for all we knew. Guys like this think it's 1912 and the British Empire is alive and well and that they can push around the "natives" or create their own rules. Then they act all surprised when security does what it's supposed to do and they hit the brick wall of authority.

It's not like he wasn't given a perfectly reasonable opportunity to give up those balloons which were probably a whole 30 baht to purchase.

Every time i've been on the BTS or MRT the personnel have always been reasonable and not rude at all.

I'd say this is the foreigners fault for sure.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More prejudiced generalised claptrap. We have not seen the video,of the previous altercation, so we don't know what happened. Why must you rush to condemn without the facts? Indeed, being an Irishman, I mean "a guy like that", he was PROBABLY blind drunk and carrying a thermonuclear device in one of the balloons, and his daughter was REALLY a toxic world-dominating dwarf, and his friend, World Armwrestling Champion. There is no end to what one can imagine and speculate, if one is blind enough to overlook the fact that he was carrying some colored balloons, not ricin, not acetylene, not hydrogen, not anthrax, in fact it appears, nothing harmful at all. Btw, ricin can be carried and delivered without the use of balloons, so please don't pretend to know anything about it, and spout off as though you have even a faint inkling of the subject matter. Some of the comments here really make me wonder what paranoid imaginary realm your heads dwell in. Keep taking the medication. PLEASE.

• Like 1

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this case the actions of this Irish gentleman, a respected teacher caused at least 3 people to loose their jobs and three families to go hungry.

Let's hope they haven't really lost their jobs and it's just posturing by BTS management. I think we should start a petition to have them reinstated. Maybe if enough people post here the word will just get back as the story of the incident has to taxi drivers etc.

I think it a bit soon to be supporting security since we have not seen video of what happened before or after the Youtube video BUT clearly in this video if the station staff shown in the video remained this calm and cool while under assault by the passenger before and after, they should be commended for their restraint.

An amazing way to twist the facts to support your agenda. Are you a politician?

"Restraint" or waiting for the rest of the gang to show up and beat the crap out of the Irish guy again like the victim states?

Bring on the tapes...

In what country is it alright to disregard public transit rules and do whatever you want? His balloons could have been filled with ricin for all we knew. Guys like this think it's 1912 and the British Empire is alive and well and that they can push around the "natives" or create their own rules. Then they act all surprised when security does what it's supposed to do and they hit the brick wall of authority.

It's not like he wasn't given a perfectly reasonable opportunity to give up those balloons which were probably a whole 30 baht to purchase.

Every time i've been on the BTS or MRT the personnel have always been reasonable and not rude at all.

Oh g*d....WMD's in childrens balloons....mate, Did you bypass your meds cabinet this morning ?

If you are so sure it was the foreigners faults.....

Why havent the police charged him with anything ? even a minor charge of vandalism for putting the trash bin in ICU

Why have the BTS company come out and publically apologised (and even sent flowers) to the guy concerned ?

Why have the BTS company fired the guard concerned ?

Edited by Soutpeel

Oh g*d....WMD's in childrens balloons....mate, Did you bypass your meds cabinet this morning ?

Why havent the police charged him with anything ? even a minor charge of vandalism for putting the trash bin in ICU

Why have the BTS company come out and publically apologised (and even sent flowers) to the guy concerned ?

Anyone using common sense and not making this into an emotional issue knows the guy was without doubt in the wrong. Does this mean security wasn't also wrong, of course not and that should be obvious unless you are getting too emotional over this and/or making this a Thai vs. farang issue. But what we currently have is a video of a guy acting in an illegal, violent and inexcusable fashion. There is nothing that anyone has offered (including the foreigner) that could have happened prior to this tape rolling that can justify his actions on this tape from forcing his way into the station to assaulting non-threatening staff and creating a disturbance for all other passengers on the train and likely scaring the poop out of his daughter and other kids in the area and of course causing himself lasting repercussions and embarrassment all of which could have been avoided if he simply followed the rules of the transit station when told of them and did was 99.99% of civilized society would do and comply with the rules.

I am sorry this incident happened too and am sorry the guy got hurt, I guess now I am at fault. The guard(s) have not been arrested so I guess they are not at fault. The guy said he did wrong and should have acted differently, I guess that makes him 100% at fault and responsible for what happened. Do you see how silly this sounds?

In this day and age it certainly can be a danger having loud bangs aboard a crowded train or on a crowded platform next to oncoming trains numerous stories above the ground. Have you considered airlines don't allow balloons on planes? But again, this is a absolute moot point because the rules to ride the BTS are the rules and if you cannot obey them don't ride. If the rules say no guns or no gum then you obey the rules.

I am really baffled how anyone can be seen as credible and not have an agenda when they cannot agree with these simple civilized, legal and sociably expected things.

PS. I believe the flowers were sent in behalf of the little girl and the BTS has also tried to blame this on lack of english communication skills by their staff but this Thai English teacher has already made clear he understood the guard when they told him the rule. This, along with having been on the train earlier with the balloons, is what set off his initial outburst.

Lets not try fault or blame BTS for their handling of the situation or see it as an admission of complete guilt in the aftermath as it has been nothing less but a stand up response.

Also, keep in mind this guy refused to file charges against the guards and said he doesn't want any of them fired. He only wants to go after the company(s). Should we read into that that the guards did absolutely nothing wrong? Of course not.

Edited by Nisa

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this case the actions of this Irish gentleman, a respected teacher caused at least 3 people to loose their jobs and three families to go hungry.

Let's hope they haven't really lost their jobs and it's just posturing by BTS management. I think we should start a petition to have them reinstated. Maybe if enough people post here the word will just get back as the story of the incident has to taxi drivers etc.

I think it a bit soon to be supporting security since we have not seen video of what happened before or after the Youtube video BUT clearly in this video if the station staff shown in the video remained this calm and cool while under assault by the passenger before and after, they should be commended for their restraint.

An amazing way to twist the facts to support your agenda. Are you a politician?

"Restraint" or waiting for the rest of the gang to show up and beat the crap out of the Irish guy again like the victim states?

Bring on the tapes...

If that is what they were doing then they should not be commended as I made very clear in my post by using the word "if" but then again if they waited for backup to make sure they increased the odds of their safety and others involved in order to enforce the rules and prevent this violent behaving guy from boarding the train, this would be good training and something police officers do every day.

No matter how anyone wants to spin this, this guy was extremely wrong in his actions and should not have handled things the way he did (by his own admission) but it certainly doesn't excuse any wrong doing by security that we don't see on this particular tape.

Edited by Nisa

Anyone using common sense and not making this into an emotional issue knows the guy was without doubt in the wrong. Does this mean security wasn't also wrong, of course not and that should be obvious unless you are getting too emotional over this and/or making this a Thai vs. farang issue. But what we currently have is a video of a guy acting in an illegal, violent and inexcusable fashion. There is nothing that anyone has offered (including the foreigner) that could have happened prior to this tape rolling that can justify his actions on this tape from forcing his way into the station to assaulting non-threatening staff and creating a disturbance for all other passengers on the train and likely scaring the poop out of his daughter and other kids in the area and of course causing himself lasting repercussions and embarrassment all of which could have been avoided if he simply followed the rules of the transit station when told of them and did was 99.99% of civilized society would do and comply with the rules.

I am sorry this incident happened too and am sorry the guy got hurt, I guess now I am at fault. The guard(s) have not been arrested so I guess they are not at fault. The guy said he did wrong and should have acted differently, I guess that makes him 100% at fault and responsible for what happened. Do you see how silly this sounds?

In this day and age it certainly can be a danger having loud bangs aboard a crowded train or on a crowded platform next to oncoming trains numerous stories above the ground. Have you considered airlines don't allow balloons on planes? But again, this is a absolute moot point because the rules to ride the BTS are the rules and if you cannot obey them don't ride. If the rules say no guns or no gum then you obey the rules.

I am really baffled how anyone can be seen as credible and not have an agenda when they cannot agree with these simple civilized, legal and sociably expected things.

PS. I believe the flowers were sent in behalf of the little girl and the BTS has also tried to blame this on lack of english communication skills by their staff but this Thai English teacher has already made clear he understood the guard when they told him the rule. This, along with having been on the train earlier with the balloons, is what set off his initial outburst.

Lets not try fault or blame BTS for their handling of the situation or see it as an admission of complete guilt in the aftermath as it has been nothing less but a stand up response.

Also, keep in mind this guy refused to file charges against the guards and said he doesn't want any of them fired. He only wants to go after the company(s). Should we read into that that the guards did absolutely nothing wrong? Of course not.

What are you bleating about now? He's an Irish IT Teacher, as you well know. After all, you've been stalking this thread 24-7.

If that is what they were doing then they should not be commended as I made very clear in my post by using the word "if" but then again if they waited for backup to make sure they increased the odds of their safety and others involved in order to enforce the rules and prevent this violent behaving guy from boarding the train, this would be good training and something police officers do every day.

No matter how anyone wants to spin this, this guy was extremely wrong in his actions and should not have handled things the way he did (by his own admission) but it certainly doesn't excuse any wrong doing by security that we don't see on this particular tape.

The only person that stands out trying to blatently spin the whole event based on the small portion that the video shows is you, which is why you use the same negative language to describe the Irish guy and the same praising language every time you refer to the guard. Instead of saying the victim or the Irish guy it's always "the wreckless criminal and his criminal behaviour" reinforcing your opinion and judgement several times every sentance.

Also please stop making the same point again and again and again and again. You've made it several times every hour for the last two days, we get it. Please give it a rest.

• Like 1

What are you bleating about now? He's an Irish IT Teacher, as you well know. After all, you've been stalking this thread 24-7.

I stand corrected as I thought he was teaching English in Thailand. Not that it makes any real bearing on anything within the post you are referring but do appreciate your enlightening me even though you chose to do it in a non-adult fashion.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

The only person that stands out trying to blatently spin the whole event based on the small portion that the video shows is you, which is why you use the same negative language to describe the Irish guy and the same praising language every time you refer to the guard. Instead of saying the victim or the Irish guy it's always "the wreckless criminal and his criminal behaviour" reinforcing your opinion and judgement several times every sentance.

Also please stop making the same point again and again and again and again. You've made it several times every hour for the last two days, we get it. Please give it a rest.

"Nisa" is like the Duracell bunny...just keeps going and going

• Like 1

Well as I stated a number of times, the only video we have seen is the criminal behavior of the Irish guy while also making clear this doesn't justify any assault or wrong doing by staff or security that we haven't been able to witness in video form yet. I would't have to respond with the same thing time and time again to responses to me, such as this, if responders read what I wrote the first time and weren't pretending I was saying anything different.

Absolutely no biased on my part what-so-ever when it comes to Thais vs. foreigners (or Irish men) but when addressing folks who can't admit this guy is clearly in the wrong then that that is what I address and not the security or Thais the poster already believes is at fault.

Edited by Nisa

Guys like this think it's 1912 and the British Empire is alive and well and that they can push around the "natives" or create their own rules.

Is there not a thread with the news articles only so we don't have to trawl through pages and pages of complete rubbish, like the above.

P.S You do know that the Irish are not British don't you?

I stand corrected as I thought he was teaching English in Thailand. Not that it makes any real bearing on anything within the post you are referring but do appreciate your enlightening me even though you chose to do it in a non-adult fashion.

When you display some adult thoughts and logic I will treat you accordingly..........deal?

this is the biggest thread about nothing i've ever seen

i guess people seem to get their kicks out of making it a thai/farang thing, rather than just a security worker/member of the public thing.

Edited by nurofiend

Guys like this think it's 1912 and the British Empire is alive and well and that they can push around the "natives" or create their own rules.

Is there not a thread with the news articles only so we don't have to trawl through pages and pages of complete rubbish, like the above.

P.S You do know that the Irish are not British don't you?

Sums up the intelligence of some on here. Was going to comment too but it's like pi**ing in the wind mate!

Really, i don't understand the people supporting Mr. Behan behaviour..

There are thousands and thousands of people using the BTS everyday,and except some soap-haters, everyone acts politely.

Can you imagine if everyone of them, start to carry balloons,filled with air, hydrogen or cat piss ut to individual choice, whisky bottles, furniture, cats and dogs and maybe knives and bamboo sticks..

Next they will have to hire the Mossad to provide a decent up-to -standard security.

The prices for the rides will increase esponentially, but for the ones who can afford it, will be a unforgettable experience, like war , more or less..

Really, i don't understand the people supporting Mr. Behan behaviour..

There are thousands and thousands of people using the BTS everyday,and except some soap-haters, everyone acts politely.

Can you imagine if everyone of them, start to carry balloons,filled with air, hydrogen or cat piss ut to individual choice, whisky bottles, furniture, cats and dogs and maybe knives and bamboo sticks..

Next they will have to hire the Mossad to provide a decent up-to -standard security.

The prices for the rides will increase esponentially, but for the ones who can afford it, will be a unforgettable experience, like war , more or less..

what, in the hell are you on about?

srsly, some of the posts i read, make me lose my faith in humanity!

Well as I stated a number of times, the only video we have seen is the criminal behavior of the Irish guy while

If its criminal behaviour, this infers a crime has been committed and he has in fact broken the law....why hasnt this deviant, obviously mentally disturbed and violent individual been charged with something or even been arrested by the BiB ?....as far as I am aware he hasnt even been charged for vandalism or even putting a trash bin in ICU...

I wait with baited breath for your next round of excuses..

I think we are losing track of what actually happened here. The Guard with his nightstick or similar damaging inflicting device aimed at the guys head whether the westerner was in the wrong or not. A nightstick blow to the head could be fatal. Now did the balloon and in front of his daughter necessitate deadly force?????? I think not.

If the westerner was out of line a quick swipe to the legs or body would have been sufficient. It is disgusting and shows the type of person that security firms employ with regards to restraint and intelligence and lack of training.

I do not condone the westerners actions however as per usual Thai's show lack of restraint when it comes to a confrontation. 10 on 1 for example that regularly occurs for example a mis understanding in a bar issue that often results in a westerner being beaten to a pulp if not killed. They are basically cowards....and my dislike for the lower end of thai society is growing by the day.

Edited by negreanu

Absolutely no biased on my part what-so-ever when it comes to Thais vs. foreigners

SERIOUSLY????!!!!

Of all the people on this board, there is no way you can get away with a comment like that.

If you are just going to bare face lie (with such a whopper) then there really is no talking to you.

This unfortunately, shows your ignorance of Asian ways, culture and language. In Hong Kong, where the spoken language is Cantonese, foreigners are referred to as Gweilo (literal translation: devil man. Females are referred to as Gweipoh - devil woman). In Malaysia and Singapore, Hokkien speakers use the term Ang Mo Kwai - literal translation - red haired devil). China historically referred to westerners as Barbarians. By contrast, farang comes from farang-se, meaning France.

I stand to be corrected.

p/s: Brits call the Americans Yanks and the French, frogs. Americans (use to) call Africans Negroes or Niggers. Aussies call the Brits Pom and the New Zealanders Kiwis, the Italians / Greeks <deleted> and the Chinese Chinks. Hmmm.... I guess the Thais have a long way to go before they can catch up.

Perhaps you should read my post again. Where did I state that Thailand is the only racist Asian community? We all know the racial slurs. In fact all asians are quite racist, even within their own sub-cultures with asians from one country hating their neighbors. Western cultures have come further than eastern cultures with regards to racial tolerance and stereotyping. If for no other reason, the PC effect is so great in some countries that I you were to refer to another workmate using any of the terms you described above, it would be an immediate firing offense.

True, you did not state that Thailand is the only racist Asian community. However, most Asian AND Western communities are equally racist so it's irrelevant.

The woman in the video is not his wife (unless that information has changed).

The video again shows AFTER HE WAS HIT IN THE HEAD- I don't know his state of mind in the video, and neither do you.

Regardless of his state of mind, his subsequent actions as shown on the video is unacceptable

Yes, this does not show foreigners in a good light, although it is possible that even if it were found he was blameless, many people would not change their opinion, as I suspect you wouldn't.

My opinion is that his actions are unacceptable and indefensible, regardless of what happened before. So, yes, I won't change my opinion

I don't honestly know what would rectify this situation. Would you like him thrown in jail? Would that really improve Thai opinions of foreigners? I'm honestly asking.

An apology to the BTS guards (for trying to do their jobs) would go a long way towards showing everyone, Thais and foreigners alike, how magnanimous farangs can be

You seem not to have a lot of faith in Thai people, if you think all of them think the same way, and do not have differing viewpoints. Could it be they would make their own minds up on this one case? Maybe they see that this was only one foreigner, who does not represent everyone, even if he is to blame?

The average Thai on the street is not very widely travelled or exposed to much beyond their horizons. Thus, they can be very easily swayed and influenced and can easily conclude (rightly or wrongly) that this individual is representative. Let's face it, a lot of farangs behave very badly in Thailand and you can't blame the average Thai for not having a high opinion of them

You also seem very hostile to someone who disagrees with you and wasn't trying to goad you (at least before you started off at me). Issues?

Sorry if I came across as being hostile, that was not my intention. However, I can't see how you can defend someone that was behaving so badly, regardless of the circumstances. I would bet my bottom dollar that he would not dare behave like this in his own country so the obvious conclusion is that he feels he is superior and have the right to throw his weight around

My response in blue.

The woman in the video is not his wife (unless that information has changed).

The video again shows AFTER HE WAS HIT IN THE HEAD- I don't know his state of mind in the video, and neither do you.

Regardless of his state of mind, his subsequent actions as shown on the video is unacceptable

Yes, this does not show foreigners in a good light, although it is possible that even if it were found he was blameless, many people would not change their opinion, as I suspect you wouldn't.

My opinion is that his actions are unacceptable and indefensible, regardless of what happened before. So, yes, I won't change my opinion

I don't honestly know what would rectify this situation. Would you like him thrown in jail? Would that really improve Thai opinions of foreigners? I'm honestly asking.

An apology to the BTS guards (for trying to do their jobs) would go a long way towards showing everyone, Thais and foreigners alike, how magnanimous farangs can be

You seem not to have a lot of faith in Thai people, if you think all of them think the same way, and do not have differing viewpoints. Could it be they would make their own minds up on this one case? Maybe they see that this was only one foreigner, who does not represent everyone, even if he is to blame?

The average Thai on the street is not very widely travelled or exposed to much beyond their horizons. Thus, they can be very easily swayed and influenced and can easily conclude (rightly or wrongly) that this individual is representative. Let's face it, a lot of farangs behave very badly in Thailand and you can't blame the average Thai for not having a high opinion of them

You also seem very hostile to someone who disagrees with you and wasn't trying to goad you (at least before you started off at me). Issues?

Sorry if I came across as being hostile, that was not my intention. However, I can't see how you can defend someone that was behaving so badly, regardless of the circumstances. I would bet my bottom dollar that he would not dare behave like this in his own country so the obvious conclusion is that he feels he is superior and have the right to throw his weight around

My response in blue.

If he had been hit hard enough for a concussion, we can't take much exception to his actions. Head injuries are unpredictable. Regardless the security way over reacted. As noted by the BTS APOLOGIZING, as seen in another thread.

If he had been hit hard enough for a concussion, we can't take much exception to his actions. Head injuries are unpredictable. Regardless the security way over reacted. As noted by the BTS APOLOGIZING, as seen in another thread.

After reading some of these posts on this subject suspect you could hit these posters very hard over the head with a very blunt object and they would sustain no damage to their heads, never mind concussion...

Flames and off topic nonsense removed.

Do not alter a reply when replying to a post please learn to use the quoted reply options,

please see the following rule:

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

way over the top if you ask me, the guy was out with his daughter maybe at a kids function or something and she got some balloons made up, ever try taking away a kids balloons or the like - very distressing, whats with the balloon rule on the BTS anyway ? sounds rather stupid if you ask me, ok maybe at rush hour they may take up some room but in the middle of the day what's the problem, a little big of common sense might have resolved this issue

Newsweird said, And yes you do have the legal right to attack the guard when he keeps touching you and trying to steal from you when pitching an unwritten and non-posted policy different than other stations.

No you don't have that right. He is a security guard doing his job. If he says 'jump', you don't ask 'how high'. You jump and ask 'is this high enough'.

Whether a sign prohibiting balloons on the BTS is visible or not is irrelevant. The security guard says it's a violation so don't do it. Take it up with the authorities later, but don't take on the guard. That's madness as this guy found out. That the BTS management has apologized is no more than a bit of defusing going on.

Visible sign..what sign?Up till yesterday there wasn't and hasn't been any such sign at Phrom Phong BTS..fullstop!!

That's why it is irrelevant.

There are no signs saying that you can't piss on the platform.

If the guard told you that you shouldn't do it, would you listen to him or just push past to do it anyway.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

A more accurate comparison would be that the guard clubbed the person peeing before saying anything.

Edited by TAWP

Well as I stated a number of times, the only video we have seen is the criminal behavior of the Irish guy while

If its criminal behaviour, this infers a crime has been committed and he has in fact broken the law....why hasnt this deviant, obviously mentally disturbed and violent individual been charged with something or even been arrested by the BiB ?....as far as I am aware he hasnt even been charged for vandalism or even putting a trash bin in ICU...

I wait with baited breath for your next round of excuses..

I believe that the police investigation must conclude before charges can be brought.

way over the top if you ask me, the guy was out with his daughter maybe at a kids function or something and she got some balloons made up, ever try taking away a kids balloons or the like - very distressing, whats with the balloon rule on the BTS anyway ? sounds rather stupid if you ask me, ok maybe at rush hour they may take up some room but in the middle of the day what's the problem, a little big of common sense might have resolved this issue

Read the thread please. Thai balloons are often inflated with flammable explosive gas. They also pop creating the potential to cause panic.