Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard - Police Launch Investigation

webfact

the problem was caused by misunderstanding, misunderstanding worsens when they dont speak the same language

According to the foreigner he understood right from the start (when they told him) that the balloons were not allowed and this is what set off his temper. I am not sure language was as much of an issue as culture (for lack of a better word). I highly doubt this guy would have behaved this way in his home country under the same circumstances (right down to not obeying security and still entering with the balloons) and am going to guess (having not seen a tape) that if what the foreigner states happened prior to the youtube video is true that the Thai security guard probably would not have walloped him for his making a scene as he did and kicking a trash can if he was Thai.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the problem was caused by misunderstanding, misunderstanding worsens when they dont speak the same language

According to the foreigner he understood right from the start (when they told him) that the balloons were not allowed and this is what set off his temper. I am not sure language was as much of an issue as culture (for lack of a better word). I highly doubt this guy would have behaved this way in his home country under the same circumstances (right down to not obeying security and still entering with the balloons) and am going to guess (having not seen a tape) that if what the foreigner states happened prior to the youtube video is true that the Thai security guard probably would not have walloped him for his making a scene as he did and kicking a trash can if he was Thai.

And whats your excuse for the pack of security guards that mobbed him after the event and gave him another beating as he was already on the platform and about to depart the scene?

• Like 1

I never said the guy was a saint- he obviously made some bad calls, though I feel many here seem to think they would be above these actions in the same situation (these people obviously have never been frustrated with inane rules, or been impatient, or indeed been hit on the head before).

Well gee... that's a relief... Because it sure seemed like you were arguing for sainthood in your prior posts...

But as to your main comment above, a lot of us who have lived here for years deal with inane or ridiculous rules and situations on a regular basis... This is, after all, Thailand.

But somehow, we manage to keep our composure and our calm, and remember we're kind of guests in a foreign country where the rules are made by others.

And somehow, amazingly, most of us manage to get thru our sometimes frustrating days without going off the deep end and kicking and shouting and throwing a tantrum at those around us...

It makes for a much more pleasant life... And likely will extend the duration of one's life in Thailand...unlike the other approach taken by your saint.

PS - And yes, I would NOT have done what your friend did... not here in Thailand... not in my home country... I would and have been "above those actions" in similar situations. Because I value my health, and prefer to not end up in a jail or hospital or morgue somewhere.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Another post referring to the "foreigner", rather than the "individual". If this isn't racism and xenophobia, what would you call it?

Would you prefer the Thai description of white-skinned foreigners, farang? Pretty hard to play the indignant racist card in Thailand, don't you think? rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

And whats your excuse for the pack of security guards that mobbed him after the event and gave him another beating as he was already on the platform and about to depart the scene?

Didn't see that happen and according the guy (foreigner) he did see that BTS video and it doesn't show his getting beat on the platform but if it did happen the way he said then exactly what I said above would hold true IMO and don't believe that would have happened if he was Thai.

Edited by Nisa

Another post referring to the "foreigner", rather than the "individual". If this isn't racism and xenophobia, what would you call it?

Factual and an easy description to use to prevent any confusion of who is being talked about as well as being the description used in the OP headline. Foreigner is certainly not a racist word.

A trite response. Its not indignation, its an observation on the language used, and the race-based us-versus-them mindset. This guy is a person, and classifying him as "foreign" brings with it a whole load of irrelevant baggage. Being foreign does not make him inherently good or bad.

Would you prefer the Thai description of white-skinned foreigners, farang? Pretty hard to play the indignant racist card in Thailand, don't you think? rolleyes.gif

I was struck by the fact that whoever shot this video seemed to have an inkling or foreknowledge that trouble was going to brew. He/she was ready with camera rolling at the turnstile even before the trouble started. Anyway, the video makes it clear that the white man was arrogant and was seeking trouble with his violent behaviour. Let him get violent in his own country and get his ass kicked and more. Thais should simply ignore this incident and throw such violent foreigners into the clanger where they can regain their composure.

You are ignoring the facts.

The video starts after the man is bludgeoned by the guard.

It is when you use it.

Factual and an easy description to use to prevent any confusion of who is being talked about as well as being the description used in the OP headline. Foreigner is certainly not a racist word.

It's interesting that he wants the CCTV released but the BTS doesn't. That says it all.

I'm not sure what it says... I had my wallet stolen on a BTS train a year or so back... And needed to end up checking the videotape from the station area to make sure I hadn't dropped my wallet by mistake as I was going thru the gate...

The only way the BTS security folks would show me the video tape was after I went to the Police Station, filed a police report on the theft, and brought them back a copy... After that, they quite willingly sat me down in their video department and we went thru a half dozen different video scenes of the period when I was going thru the station that day.

Here's a snippet of Thai opinion (or racism if you wish, you decide that yourselves) I thought some may be interested in. This is a letter taken from Pantip that the author claims to have sent to the school he works at. I'm particularly fascinated with his take on the 'poor little man', is he referring to the poor little innocent guy who smashed him in the face with the metal detector ?

One can only pray the majority of Thais have a more Global view towards non-Thais!

To whom it may concern,

I'm writing this letter to echo my opinion toward Mr. John Behan, one of your incapable teacher at NSIS, who recently has just been involved in fighting incident with one of BTS's security guard at Prompong Station a couple days ago.

I'm extremely disgusted by Mr. Behan's behavior. As he is being a teacher and moreover as he is from those so called "civilized world" he should has known better that everybody has to follow the rules, and there are rules when you enter into public transportation's area such as Sky Train. He showed his reckless and arrogance toward one another (what if those balloons blown off while train is full packed with passengers?) and worse, he deliberately kicked and insulted that poor little man. That guard might overreacted a bit and should never injured him in the first place but tell me, who in the right mind would not hit back if they got beaten up like that? And bear in mind that as he is a security person he has every right to do whatever it takes to ensure that everybody is safe.

You foreigners came here taking an advantage of our currency expecting that everyone will treat you like a King. Few of us who is a money slave might just did that but please don't count that kind of shitty persons as a majority, do not get wrong impression of our women only because you hook up with some cheap prostitute you bought from Patpong. Fact is, there are still lots of Thais people who has dignity. We don't have any problems with Farangs, only if they are sensible & humble person.

Make no mistake my friend, it's Mr. Behan's FAULT to broke the rules. There is no other way to look at this thing. And instead of apologizing to that poor security guard he decided to do what? Press charges against him!? This is an ultimately disgrace. When I heard that he is about to get punished by his own company and might even lose his job then I talked to myself, is this for real? These punishment is no other than to save faces for BTS and G4S (security company) it's once again, an indication of "Farang is God, Farang can do no wrong, What Farang does and says is always right" in Thailand

I'm totally pissed I'm telling you this. I will not just sit here and watch while you guys hurting my fellow Thais physically and mentally. I am fed up with this sense of injustice. I will spread this massage throughout. I wish no other thing than to see MR. Behan gets punishment he deserves, equally to what happened to that poor man, which is getting fired from this school. If he can't contain himself and act properly, how can he teach other kids to do the right thing in the future? What would our society be if our kids be taught by this man?

And by the way, please show him this letter so he can read it through. If he feel offended and take it personal, then tell him to call a police. I'm more than willing to make this matter a nationwide or even better, a worldwide.

Your Pissed Thais

I'm not going to comment on the letter above, though it's interesting, and unfortunate, to read it...

But I will say this... in my country, teachers are expected to set an example by their behavior for young people, both inside the classroom and outside... And I say that coming from a family-full of public (government school) teachers.

Of course, this is Thailand, not my home country. So perhaps the prevailing expectations for farang teachers working here are not the same as I'm accustomed to.

Maybe some occupational training in anger management is in order here. I'm sure there's a class for it somewhere here.

• Like 2

Here's a snippet of Thai opinion (or racism if you wish, you decide that yourselves) I thought some may be interested in. This is a letter taken from Pantip that the author claims to have sent to the school he works at. I'm particularly fascinated with his take on the 'poor little man', is he referring to the poor little innocent guy who smashed him in the face with the metal detector ?

One can only pray the majority of Thais have a more Global view towards non-Thais!

To whom it may concern,

<snip>

Your Pissed Thais

Is the purpose of this anonymous letter from a "pissed thai" who writes in English to a school that is probably (not sure on this) run by Thais to simply incite people here? I really cannot see the relevance of what I am guessing is an over the top view (I didn't read it because it is not a poster here and has no relevance and because you indicate it is racist) from an admittedly overly emotional individual posting on another site.

Edit: Okay, I couldn't resist and skimmed through the letter and am fairly confident it is not written by a Thai for a number of reasons but one line really sticks out ...

And bear in mind that as he is a security person he has every right to do whatever it takes to ensure that everybody is safe.

Thais don't generally view security people this way and don't believe they have the authority to strike people or get physical. This is a Western belief and standard. While we are surprised that security doesn't usually get involved in things here they would in the west, Thais expect this and understand they are mostly for show and to open doors and stuff ... even the police here don't have anywhere near the authority to use force as they do in the west.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

TallGuy, when did I ever say the man was Jesus? When did I say the guard was the Thai Oswald Mosely? And more reasonably, when did I say the man was wholly correct and the guard wholly incorrect (notwithstanding that the action he took- hitting anyone in the face- is wholly incorrect). I may be wrong, but I don't think I have been anything less than objective through this whole thing. If you find anything to the contrary, or if you are sad enough to dredge through my posts to pinpoint such an example, I will say I am sorry.

However, I will say that the Thai person's letter to the school, above, doesn't exactly refute any of the charges I keep hearing that Thais stick together in the face of who is right or wrong. A generalisation, I know, and I do know some Thais who would not do this, but from what I keep hearing...

Look, I am doing the exact same thing as that writer (and many people here)- I am making assumptions without evidence and letting my lower reasoning do all the work!

Edit- maybe I'm not being objective enough, in thinking the letter was written by a Thai or is legit- sorry, it's late. I'll try to do better..

Edited by jbauer

To whom it may concern,

<snip>

Your Pissed Thais

Is the purpose of this anonymous letter from a "pissed thai" who writes in English to a school that is probably (not sure on this) run by Thais to simply incite people here? I really cannot see the relevance of what I am guessing is an over the top view (I didn't read it because it is not a poster here and has no relevance and because you indicate it is racist) from an admittedly overly emotional individual posting on another site.

Edit: Okay, I couldn't resist and skimmed through the letter and am fairly confident it is not written by a Thai for a number of reasons but one line really sticks out ...

And bear in mind that as he is a security person he has every right to do whatever it takes to ensure that everybody is safe.

Thais don't generally view security people this way and don't believe they have the authority to strike people or get physical. This is a Western belief and standard. While we are surprised that security doesn't usually get involved in things here they would in the west, Thais expect this and understand they are mostly for show and to open doors and stuff ... even the police here don't have anywhere near the authority to use force as they do in the west.

You truly take my breath away! Unfrigginbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

... the beating victim might only find vindication after the full video evidence is disclosed.

... filing a civil suit against the BTS and the security sub-contractor, the victim will then compel the BTS to release copies of their CCTV security videos as evidence for the plaintiffs, which might then be released on the Internet.

... the international court of public opinion will make a call ... and the Thai court of public opinion will make its call.

Didn't see that happen and according the guy (foreigner) he did see that BTS video and it doesn't show his getting beat on the platform but if it did happen the way he said then exactly what I said above would hold true IMO and don't believe that would have happened if he was Thai.

Here is the exact quote from the drummond article Nisa, he says it different than you (not surprisingly)

"You cannot see the punches in the CCTV footage but you can see as cleary as day a guard hitting me over the head with a baton. That is the wound at the top of my head for which I received. After that we all left the station.

http://www.andrew-dr...ory.php?sid=529

Edited by canuckamuck

Edit- maybe I'm not being objective enough, in thinking the letter was written by a Thai or is legit- sorry, it's late. I'll try to do better..

We will never know and it really is not the least bit relevant as one unknown online poster's opinion doesn't represent the views of any society. However it is curious.

But the more I look at that letter it seem apparent it is somebody trying to stir things up. There is too much knowledgeable grammar and vocabulary in the post to then have what looks like purposeful edits to not look like a fluent English speaker.

writer knows the differnance between then vs. than - its vs it's - 's to show possession and a number of things including phrases and words to not understand the basic writing mistakes in the letter to make it sound like typical broken English in some places.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

I dont believe this letter is written by a Thai.

Still I can understand that some Thais will react negatively , when a foreign teacher gets involved in a fight, especially in a public place like the BTS.

I will not be surprised if he is losing his job after this incident....

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

"He has received good support from his school but has been advised to alter his journey home frequently and perhaps wear a hat when travelling."

I dont believe this letter is written by a Thai.

Still I can understand that some Thais will react negatively , when a foreign teacher gets involved in a fight, especially in a public place like the BTS.

I will not be surprised if he is losing his job after this incident....

WoW I can't believe how many people have posted about this subject since I last looked. What is hard to take in is the amount of horrible comments still coming in about the father. He has been on TV and said he made mistakes, but didn't deserve the beating he got. He wants people to see the cctv so they can judge for them selves. Have the BTS or the poor little soldier done this? No, they want to say sorry and hope it goes away.

I can't believe people still commenting on the youtube video as we know it shows nothing really. Do these people read the initial post? For the people who are too lazy too look, the youtube starts after he has had a beating. I can't believe people are disgusted in the way he is acting. Imagine you just got hit around the head with a metal detector, hmm ??? Maybe a little concussed? Confused? Angry? How would you react?

I think people on this site need to get a grip! Facts are coming out if you like them or not. If you keep writing nonsense in the days to come you will just look stupid and a racist. This is not about thai v's farang, but a clear misunderstanding that went wrong. When the cctv is out we can all see for our selves.

Oh please please can the bells stop putting technical information up about explosive gases, a six year old told me today it was obviously air!!!

• Like 1

Ah..another 'I'm more important than you' farang'. Any takers for him being a Brit?

Turns out he was one of those "nice" Irish people, you know the ones that refer to us as Brits in a derogatory way. Typical a load of people liked your post because it had a pop at British peolple, probably still wearing their Gunness hats after celebrating the plastic paddies day.

so what you're saying is that all irish people refer to brits in a derogatory way?

yet you say 'nice' irish people... in quotations.. suggesting that irish people are not nice, so it turns out you're one of those brits that refer to the irish in a derogatory way

unless of course your saying not all irish refer to brits in a derogatory way and you know this man well enough so that you can say he is 'one of those irish' that do?

Here is the exact quote from the drummond article Nisa, he says it different than you (not surprisingly)

"You cannot see the punches in the CCTV footage but you can see as cleary as day a guard hitting me over the head with a baton. That is the wound at the top of my head for which I received. After that we all left the station.

http://www.andrew-dr...ory.php?sid=529

Am only going by the the video of the guy being interviewed on Thai TV (it is now posted online) where he stated you cannot see the attack (maybe he said punches?) on the platform but can see the guards surrounding (word to that affect) him. It certainly is possible in his TV interview he was only referring to not seeing punches but given the conflicting reports, I'll wait for more to come out before I believe, based on experience, what is posted on Drummond's site.

If I can re-find the video online I will post the link but it too was on a Thai website and the video is all in Thai except for his interview. I can't remember how I found it before after seeing it one TV ... I may have wen to the TV's web page but just don't remember now.

I'm guessing if he got hit in the head with a club it was by the security guy in the upper platform who blows his whistle if you step over the yellow line. If I recall right, they do have batons but I think there is only one per platform. None of the people he was attacking before going up the stairs appeared to have a club.

Edited by Nisa

We will never know and it really is not the least bit relevant as one unknown online posters person's opinion doesn't represent the views of any society. However it is curious.

But the more I look at that letter it seem apparent it is somebody trying to stir things up. There is too much knowledgeable grammar and vocabulary in the post to then have what looks like purposeful edits to not look like a fluent English speaker.

writer knows the differnance between then vs. than - its vs it's - 's to show possession and a number of things including phrases and words to not understand the basic writing mistakes in the letter to make it sound like typical broken English in some places.

Sorry to shatter your illusion going on in your little ole head). This is written below the letter:

Your Pissed Thais

อันที่จริงผมไม่เคย เขียนจดหมายไปด่าใครที่ไม่รู้จักมาก่อน แต่มันอดใจไม่ไหวจริงๆ หลังจากที่ได้ดูข่าว เลยขอเขียนไประบายสักหน่อย อย่างน้อยทางโรงเรียนจะได้ทราบว่า คนไทยส่วนหนึ่งไม่พอใจมากกับการกระทำของฝรั่งคนดังกล่าว

The jist of it is that he wants to express that he and other Thais are 'pissed' about this affair. Still a foreigners mischief making?

Am only going by the the video of the guy being interviewed on Thai TV (it is now posted online) where he stated you cannot see the attack (maybe he said punches?) on the platform but can see the guards surrounding (word to that affect) him. It certainly is possible in his TV interview he was only referring to not seeing punches but given the conflicting reports, I'll wait for more to come out before I believe, based on experience, what is posted on Drummond's site.

If I can re-find the video online I will post the link but it too was on a Thai website and the video is all in Thai except for his interview. I can't remember how I found it before after seeing it one TV ... I may have wen to the TV's web page but just don't remember now.

I'm guessing if he got hit in the head with a club it was by the security guy in the upper platform who blows his whistle if you step over the yellow line. If I recall right, they do have batons but I think there is only one per platform. None of the people he was attacking before going up the stairs appeared to have a club.

Yeah you are probably right, I am sure Andrew Drummond misquoted him, you better wait till he speaks agian and maybe he will change his story to fit your needs.

After seeing the interview with Mr. Behan ( the Irish guy ) i changed my opinion a little.

First, i commend his Thai wife for supporting him, and that for sure means he is a good husband and a good father.

Still i think he was very stubborn to start a fight for the balloons !

Anyway, this story has gone far beyond the little scuffle, I think all foreigners who live in Thailand need to meditate a little bit..

My point, the Thais have this thing called "National Pride ".. You can think what you want about it, personally i admire it, and i wish we had more of it in my own country.

I live here, and if some security guard tell me i can't carry ballooons on the BTS, fair enough, i will comply.

I would behave the same in Italy, and i don't care if somebody else is breaking the law, respect for the law is IMHO the base for a peaceful society.

Sorry for poor English, i think i express my point, and i am NOT a Thai apologist at all costs !

• Like 1

WoW I can't believe how many people have posted about this subject since I last looked. What is hard to take in is the amount of horrible comments still coming in about the father. He has been on TV and said he made mistakes, but didn't deserve the beating he got. He wants people to see the cctv so they can judge for them selves. Have the BTS or the poor little soldier done this? No, they want to say sorry and hope it goes away.

I can't believe people still commenting on the youtube video as we know it shows nothing really. Do these people read the initial post? For the people who are too lazy too look, the youtube starts after he has had a beating. I can't believe people are disgusted in the way he is acting. Imagine you just got hit around the head with a metal detector, hmm ??? Maybe a little concussed? Confused? Angry? How would you react?

I think people on this site need to get a grip! Facts are coming out if you like them or not. If you keep writing nonsense in the days to come you will just look stupid and a racist. This is not about thai v's farang, but a clear misunderstanding that went wrong. When the cctv is out we can all see for our selves.

Oh please please can the bells stop putting technical information up about explosive gases, a six year old told me today it was obviously air!!!

Gan on R !! licklips.gif

Yeah you are probably right, I am sure Andrew Drummond misquoted him, you better wait till he speaks agian and maybe he will change his story to fit your needs.

Why do I need to wait to see him speak? He already has as I have stated and I watched the words come out of his mouth. The video of his Thai News interview is online. Given your additional information, I simply stated I would now reserve judgement about this detail until more comes out. But it certainly is your right to disagree with this kind of logic. I am just aware that interviews be they on video or in print can be edited or taken out of context and people are also capable of misspeaking especially about an incident like this where there appears to be 3 different incident and areas where things took place.

Edited by Nisa