Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard - Police Launch Investigation

webfact

Edit- maybe I'm not being objective enough, in thinking the letter was written by a Thai or is legit- sorry, it's late. I'll try to do better..

We will never know and it really is not the least bit relevant as one unknown online posters person's opinion doesn't represent the views of any society. However it is curious.

But the more I look at that letter it seem apparent it is somebody trying to stir things up. There is too much knowledgeable grammar and vocabulary in the post to then have what looks like purposeful edits to not look like a fluent English speaker.

writer knows the differnance between then vs. than - its vs it's - 's to show possession and a number of things including phrases and words to not understand the basic writing mistakes in the letter to make it sound like typical broken English in some places.

Sorry to shatter your illusion going on in your little ole head). This is written below the letter:

Your Pissed Thais

อันที่จริงผมไม่เคย เขียนจดหมายไปด่าใครที่ไม่รู้จักมาก่อน แต่มันอดใจไม่ไหวจริงๆ หลังจากที่ได้ดูข่าว เลยขอเขียนไประบายสักหน่อย อย่างน้อยทางโรงเรียนจะได้ทราบว่า คนไทยส่วนหนึ่งไม่พอใจมากกับการกระทำของฝรั่งคนดังกล่าว

The jist of it is that he wants to express that he and other Thais are 'pissed' about this affair. Still a foreigners mischief making?

Okay, maybe this person was a Thai ... just as he may not be. While this certainly shifts me opinion of leaning towards his/her being a foreigner, it clearly is not proof unless you believe only Thais can write English and Farangs are incapable of writing Thai.

I simply was expressing a view which I clearly stated was a view and that we would in all likely hood never know for sure either way.

By the way, are you capable of expressing thoughts and opinions without getting so emotional over a topic? Or would it be helpful to speak to you in your terms and ask if "your little ole head" can handle that? Would that really be called for? Are we this insecure, petty and emotionally involved in if this unknown and overly emotional poster on another site is Thai or Foreign? It was simply a curious thought but if he is an idiot farang or idiot Thai does it really matter and what purpose does it even serve posting it here?

Edited by Nisa

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was struck by the fact that whoever shot this video seemed to have an inkling or foreknowledge that trouble was going to brew. He/she was ready with camera rolling at the turnstile even before the trouble started. Anyway, the video makes it clear that the white man was arrogant and was seeking trouble with his violent behaviour. Let him get violent in his own country and get his ass kicked and more. Thais should simply ignore this incident and throw such violent foreigners into the clanger where they can regain their composure.

You are ignoring the facts.

The video starts after the man is bludgeoned by the guard.

Is it a FACT that the man was BLUDGEONED by the guard? I can't seem to get this "fact" verified.

Sorry, I can't see much racism displayed in any of the posts, apart from those which are anti-foreigner. Just because you happen to disagree with some practices or points of view of a country does not make you a racist. Please point out any posts which are neutral or for the guy who was beaten which display racism (there may be the odd one or two, please find a non-stupid post).

I don't think myself superior to Thais, just morons.

Edit- actually this includes Thais who happen to be morons, but this does not make me racist, as there are morons all over the world.

Edited by jbauer

I almost clicked on "like" for Nisa's last post... almost...

However, Unadulterated- if it was trying to provoke a response, why would a (written in English, but still Thai) newspaper give it such a headline? If they are trying to get a positive response for themselves, they would have reversed it into "Thai guards assaulted by Farang" or something...

To JB auer - strange that the individual in question, Mr. J B ehan shares the same first two initials and even the same number of letters after the B - you're not him by any chance?

Or maybe, you're his friend shown in the video?

Or just a troll?

• Like 1

All I can see on this Video is, that the Farang assault the security Guard, hit him in the face, so his hat fell off, and when the second security guards appears, he get kicked by the other Farang.

imo, the Farang had not the correct ticket and didn't wanted to accept the punishment for that !

Why is it twisted against the Thai here ? it's clear visible, who assaulted who: Farang assaulted Thai !

this kind of news and comments sucks.

You'll read plenty more on this vein if you look at western sites like this.

Give a farang a beating because their's no sign stating "ballon's are offencive weapon's and totally prohibited by law".

Here's a snippet of Thai opinion (or racism if you wish, you decide that yourselves) I thought some may be interested in. This is a letter taken from Pantip that the author claims to have sent to the school he works at. I'm particularly fascinated with his take on the 'poor little man', is he referring to the poor little innocent guy who smashed him in the face with the metal detector ?

One can only pray the majority of Thais have a more Global view towards non-Thais!

To whom it may concern,

I'm writing this letter to echo my opinion toward Mr. John Behan, one of your incapable teacher at NSIS, who recently has just been involved in fighting incident with one of BTS's security guard at Prompong Station a couple days ago.

I'm extremely disgusted by Mr. Behan's behavior. As he is being a teacher and moreover as he is from those so called "civilized world" he should has known better that everybody has to follow the rules, and there are rules when you enter into public transportation's area such as Sky Train. He showed his reckless and arrogance toward one another (what if those balloons blown off while train is full packed with passengers?) and worse, he deliberately kicked and insulted that poor little man. That guard might overreacted a bit and should never injured him in the first place but tell me, who in the right mind would not hit back if they got beaten up like that? And bear in mind that as he is a security person he has every right to do whatever it takes to ensure that everybody is safe.

You foreigners came here taking an advantage of our currency expecting that everyone will treat you like a King. Few of us who is a money slave might just did that but please don't count that kind of shitty persons as a majority, do not get wrong impression of our women only because you hook up with some cheap prostitute you bought from Patpong. Fact is, there are still lots of Thais people who has dignity. We don't have any problems with Farangs, only if they are sensible & humble person.

Make no mistake my friend, it's Mr. Behan's FAULT to broke the rules. There is no other way to look at this thing. And instead of apologizing to that poor security guard he decided to do what? Press charges against him!? This is an ultimately disgrace. When I heard that he is about to get punished by his own company and might even lose his job then I talked to myself, is this for real? These punishment is no other than to save faces for BTS and G4S (security company) it's once again, an indication of "Farang is God, Farang can do no wrong, What Farang does and says is always right" in Thailand

I'm totally pissed I'm telling you this. I will not just sit here and watch while you guys hurting my fellow Thais physically and mentally. I am fed up with this sense of injustice. I will spread this massage throughout. I wish no other thing than to see MR. Behan gets punishment he deserves, equally to what happened to that poor man, which is getting fired from this school. If he can't contain himself and act properly, how can he teach other kids to do the right thing in the future? What would our society be if our kids be taught by this man?

And by the way, please show him this letter so he can read it through. If he feel offended and take it personal, then tell him to call a police. I'm more than willing to make this matter a nationwide or even better, a worldwide.

Your Pissed Thais

In case this letter is genuine, it would be good for farangs to know how some Thais really think of them.

p/s: however, it's still nowhere near how some farangs think of Thais.

Edited by Gweiloman

Edit- maybe I'm not being objective enough, in thinking the letter was written by a Thai or is legit- sorry, it's late. I'll try to do better..

We will never know and it really is not the least bit relevant as one unknown online posters person's opinion doesn't represent the views of any society. However it is curious.

But the more I look at that letter it seem apparent it is somebody trying to stir things up. There is too much knowledgeable grammar and vocabulary in the post to then have what looks like purposeful edits to not look like a fluent English speaker.

writer knows the differnance between then vs. than - its vs it's - 's to show possession and a number of things including phrases and words to not understand the basic writing mistakes in the letter to make it sound like typical broken English in some places.

Sorry to shatter your illusion going on in your little ole head). This is written below the letter:

Your Pissed Thais

อันที่จริงผมไม่เคย เขียนจดหมายไปด่าใครที่ไม่รู้จักมาก่อน แต่มันอดใจไม่ไหวจริงๆ หลังจากที่ได้ดูข่าว เลยขอเขียนไประบายสักหน่อย อย่างน้อยทางโรงเรียนจะได้ทราบว่า คนไทยส่วนหนึ่งไม่พอใจมากกับการกระทำของฝรั่งคนดังกล่าว

The jist of it is that he wants to express that he and other Thais are 'pissed' about this affair. Still a foreigners mischief making?

Okay, maybe this person was a Thai ... just as he may not be. While this certainly shifts me opinion of leaning towards his/her being a foreigner, it clearly is not proof unless you believe only Thais can write English and Farangs are incapable of writing Thai.

I simply was expressing a view which I clearly stated was a view and that we would in all likely hood never know for sure either way.

By the way, are you capable of expressing thoughts and opinions without getting so emotional over a topic? Or would it be helpful to speak to you in your terms and ask if "your little ole head" can handle that? Would that really be called for are we this insecure, petty and emotionally involved in if this unknown and overly emotional poster on another site is Thai or Foreign? It was simply a curious thought but if he is an idiot farang or idiot Thai does it really matter and what purpose does it even serve posting it here?

Nisa can't you just accept that in this case the farang is not the pure evil you have been brought up to believe, and maybe the guard was well out of order for smashing his head in. Seems to me you are trying to dismiss every fact that comes in to support the farang. I might be wrong, but some people might start calling you a bias racist....

oh gweiloman will you still have the same opinion if the cctv shows it was the security guards fault?????????

I live here, and if some security guard tell me i can't carry balloons on the BTS, fair enough, i will comply.

I would behave the same in Italy, and i don't care if somebody else is breaking the law, respect for the law is IMHO the base for a peaceful society.

Ditto on that...

Let's not get sidetracked on issues of who wrote some letter or what kinds of gases are used to fill balloons... The central issue here is the conduct of the farang teacher and the BTS station staff and security involved in the altercation, and what led to those events.

AFAIK, none of us have seen what occurred prior to the start of the video in this thread... But a lot of us can see enough in the video that was posted to conclude the farang teacher's behavior was wrong and unacceptable -- pretty much no matter what happened before.

If he was with little or no provocation attacked by a guard, file a police complaint. If they wouldn't let him take the balloons on the Skytrain...take a cab... If he felt wronged by BTS, file a complaint with BTS management. But please don't start a trash can kicking brawl and all the rest that occurred on the video. Please show some composure and self-control.

As for the security guard, I'm not surprised if he gets disciplined by BTS... But that doesn't make what the teacher did right by any means. BTS guards are not police and I don't believe they have police powers. Nor do I suspect it's in their job description or normal duties to start whacking customers in the head with their metal detectors....even if provoked. That alone probably would be enough to draw some discipline...

But in the video that we've seen thus far, the BTS staff appear to be acting calmly and with restraint... While the teacher guy looks to be a maniac on a tear.... I'd certainly like to know and see what transpired beforehand.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Your Pissed Thais

By the way, are you capable of expressing thoughts and opinions without getting so emotional over a topic? Or would it be helpful to speak to you in your terms and ask if "your little ole head" can handle that? Would that really be called for are we this insecure, petty and emotionally involved in if this unknown and overly emotional poster on another site is Thai or Foreign? It was simply a curious thought but if he is an idiot farang or idiot Thai does it really matter and what purpose does it even serve posting it here?

Nisa can't you just accept that in this case the farang is not the pure evil you have been brought up to believe, and maybe the guard was well out of order for smashing his head in. Seems to me you are trying to dismiss every fact that comes in to support the farang. I might be wrong, but some people might start calling you a bias racist....

oh gweiloman will you still have the same opinion if the cctv shows it was the security guards fault?????????

Which opinion are you referring to?

Gweiloman- no, I'm not associated with Mr. Beehan at all, to my knowledge. My nick comes from the popular TV series 24, because I enjoy watching it with my wife, and because I am unimaginative.

I am also not a troll, again to my knowledge. Maybe I have been displaying inadvertant troll-like behavior.

Like you, maybe?

Gweiloman- no, I'm not associated with Mr. Beehan at all, to my knowledge. My nick comes from the popular TV series 24, because I enjoy watching it with my wife, and because I am unimaginative.

I am also not a troll, again to my knowledge. Maybe I have been displaying inadvertant troll-like behavior.

Like you, maybe?

This is my 295th post, none of which were even troll-like. You've had, what, 22 posts? All of this subject?

p/s: I've watched 8 seasons of 24, and none of your posts even remotely remind me of Jack Bauer / Kiefer Sutherland

Edited by Gweiloman

The video starts after the man is bludgeoned by the guard.

Is it a FACT that the man was BLUDGEONED by the guard? I can't seem to get this "fact" verified.

LOL, I think "BLUDGEONED" is a bit over the top but I think the facts appear to be in that he was struck by a security officer. What appears to be in dispute, regarding the beginning of the incident, is if it was in response to his (foreigner) acting out and kicking a garbage can or if it was the result of his attacking security.

As for the incident on the platform, I haven't seen both accounts on this yet but assume the same dispute would be argued at this point as well as if the guards legally have the authority to use force to prevent somebody from illegally entering the train.

Bottom line it seems that that both sides have been clear in admitting the guard struck him after he became irate and kicked the trash can.

Edited by Nisa

A trite response. Its not indignation, its an observation on the language used, and the race-based us-versus-them mindset. This guy is a person, and classifying him as "foreign" brings with it a whole load of irrelevant baggage. Being foreign does not make him inherently good or bad.

Another post referring to the "foreigner", rather than the "individual". If this isn't racism and xenophobia, what would you call it?

Would you prefer the Thai description of white-skinned foreigners, farang? Pretty hard to play the indignant racist card in Thailand, don't you think? rolleyes.gif

I completely agree. My point was that Thais are quite racist. So as our western values prevent us from applying such stereotypes, Thais openly do it all the time, either consciously or unconsciously.

• Like 1

Being a foreigner in Thailand I certainly don't believe farangs are evil and certainly wasn't brought up to believe this. What fact am I dismissing?

After seeing the video, I can think of no excuse to void this foreigner's criminal behavior. As I stated many times before, the guard should not have hit the foreigner with an object (weapon) because I highly doubt whatever the situation was that the guard felt his life was threatened and although use of force in a similar situation might be permitted in the west, it generally is not in Thailand. The guard should without a doubt be punished for his actions and if he really did strike this guy with what amounts to a weapon without the guy hitting him first then he should be charged with a crime and depending on other circumstances he maybe should also be charged with a crime even if the foreigner hit him first. However, none of us have seen this video yet but what we have seen is the foreign guy attacking BTS staff who are not in the least bit being threatening all while the foreign guy continues to disregard rules and force his way into the BTS when he has and is being told he has prohibited items.

Basically in my mind we have clear cut evidence that the farang was wrong and good speculation that one or more Thai security was wrong. If and when the other video's come out we may have just as much evidence to easily condemn others for their behaviors as is the case with the determined want to be balloon riding passenger.

I guess if this view appears racist to some then that is something they need to deal with and possibly check their own backyard.

Edited by Nisa

A trite response. Its not indignation, its an observation on the language used, and the race-based us-versus-them mindset. This guy is a person, and classifying him as "foreign" brings with it a whole load of irrelevant baggage. Being foreign does not make him inherently good or bad.

Another post referring to the "foreigner", rather than the "individual". If this isn't racism and xenophobia, what would you call it?

Would you prefer the Thai description of white-skinned foreigners, farang? Pretty hard to play the indignant racist card in Thailand, don't you think? rolleyes.gif

I completely agree. My point was that Thais are quite racist. So as our western values prevent us from applying such stereotypes, Thais openly do it all the time, either consciously or unconsciously.

This unfortunately, shows your ignorance of Asian ways, culture and language. In Hong Kong, where the spoken language is Cantonese, foreigners are referred to as Gweilo (literal translation: devil man. Females are referred to as Gweipoh - devil woman). In Malaysia and Singapore, Hokkien speakers use the term Ang Mo Kwai - literal translation - red haired devil). China historically referred to westerners as Barbarians. By contrast, farang comes from farang-se, meaning France.

I stand to be corrected.

p/s: Brits call the Americans Yanks and the French, frogs. Americans (use to) call Africans Negroes or Niggers. Aussies call the Brits Pom and the New Zealanders Kiwis, the Italians / Greeks <deleted> and the Chinese Chinks. Hmmm.... I guess the Thais have a long way to go before they can catch up.

Edited by Gweiloman

Being a foreigner in Thailand I certainly don't believe farangs are evil and certainly wasn't brought up to believe this. What fact am I dismissing?

After seeing the video, I can think of no excuse to void this foreigners criminal behavior. As I stated many times before, the guard should not have hit the foreigner with an object (weapon) because I highly doubt whatever the situation was that the guard felt his life was threatened and although use of force in a similar situation might be permitted in the west, it generally is not in Thailand. The guard should without a doubt be punished for his actions and if he really did strike this guy with what amounts to a weapon without the guy hitting him first then he should be charged with a crime and depending on other circumstances he maybe should also be charged with a crime even if the foreigner hit him first. However, none of us have seen this video yet but what we have seen is the foreign guy attacking BTS staff who are not in the least bit being threatening all while the foreign guy continues to disregard rules and force his way into the BTS when he has and is being told he has prohibited items.

Basically in my mind we have clear cut evidence that the farang was wrong and good speculation that one or more Thai security was wrong. If and when the other video's come out we may have just as much evidence to easily condemn others for their behaviors as is the case with the determined what to be passenger.

I guess if this view appears racist to you then so be it.

As mentioned in an earlier post, if any foreigner tried this in the US, UK, Europe or Australia, he/she would, at the very least, have spent the night in jail. Just thought I would mention this to put things in perspective.

Erm... yes, you have many more posts, but that doesn't not make you a troll... genuinely, I might not be thinking of the same definition of troll that you are. If you give me the correct definition, I will litsten. Maybe I am a troll? Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt, of course...

When did I say I was Jack Bauer? I happen to like the show, that's all- I am relatively sure I'm not a fictional TV character in an entertaining, if flawed, series. When have you ever given the impression of being like him?

Actually, I feel he was usually a reasonable character who wanted the truth to come out before conclusions were jumped to, like in series 2 when he gets the Cyprus tape. Are you implying I am not as tough as him? Well, no, I'm fairly normal, as I expect you are. What are you suggesting? It's quite an unusual line of argument..

BTW, last I heard, you may want to check on Kiefer Sutherland's political or social viewpoints, as they might not be what you think they are (disregarding the fact he is only an actor, albeit a talented one). Even so, much as I admire his acting, what has he said in real life that makes me sound like his opposite?

Edit- I wasn't actually trying to sound like a fictional character, anywhere in my posts. This really is the dumbest thing someone has ever tried to insult me over...

I'M RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!! WHERE IS THE BOMB?!?

I stand corrected.

Edited by jbauer

Erm... yes, you have many more posts, but that doesn't not make you a troll... genuinely, I might not be thinking of the same definition of troll that you are. If you give me the correct definition, I will litsten. Maybe I am a troll? Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt, of course...

When did I say I was Jack Bauer? I happen to like the show, that's all- I am relatively sure I'm not a fictional TV character in an entertaining, if flawed, series. When have you ever given the impression of being like him?

Actually, I feel he was usually a reasonable character who wanted the truth to come out before conclusions were jumped to, like in series 2 when he gets the Cyprus tape. Are you implying I am not as tough as him? Well, no, I'm fairly normal, as I expect you are. What are you suggesting? It's quite an unusual line of argument..

BTW, last I heard, you may want to check on Kiefer Sutherland's political or social viewpoints, as they might not be what you think they are (disregarding the fact he is only an actor, albeit a talented one). Even so, much as I admire his acting, what has he said in real life that makes me sound like his opposite?

Edit- I wasn't actually trying to sound like a fictional character, anywhere in my posts. This really is the dumbest thing someone has ever tried to insult me over...

I'M RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!! WHERE IS THE BOMB?!?

I stand corrected.

Ignoring all this blether about 24 and Jack Bauer and Kiefer Sutherland, you are trying to defend an action by an out of control Mr. John Behan. The video clearly shows his behaviour, that of his friend, his wife/partner and those of the two male and one female security guards. Regardless of what happened before hand, his behaviour is unacceptable, a blemish to the already questionable name and status of many farangs in Thailand and will just make life harder for all of us foreigners here in Thailand.

• Like 1

This unfortunately, shows your ignorance of Asian ways, culture and language. In Hong Kong, where the spoken language is Cantonese, foreigners are referred to as Gweilo (literal translation: devil man. Females are referred to as Gweipoh - devil woman). In Malaysia and Singapore, Hokkien speakers use the term Ang Mo Kwai - literal translation - red haired devil). China historically referred to westerners as Barbarians. By contrast, farang comes from farang-se, meaning France.

I stand to be corrected.

p/s: Brits call the Americans Yanks and the French, frogs. Americans (use to) call Africans Negroes or Niggers. Aussies call the Brits Pom and the New Zealanders Kiwis, the Italians / Greeks <deleted> and the Chinese Chinks. Hmmm.... I guess the Thais have a long way to go before they can catch up.

Perhaps you should read my post again. Where did I state that Thailand is the only racist Asian community? We all know the racial slurs. In fact all asians are quite racist, even within their own sub-cultures with asians from one country hating their neighbors. Western cultures have come further than eastern cultures with regards to racial tolerance and stereotyping. If for no other reason, the PC effect is so great in some countries that I you were to refer to another workmate using any of the terms you described above, it would be an immediate firing offense.

After seeing the video, I can think of no excuse to void this foreigners criminal behavior. As I stated many times before, the guard should not have hit the foreigner with an object (weapon) because I highly doubt whatever the situation was that the guard felt his life was threatened and although use of force in a similar situation might be permitted in the west, it generally is not in Thailand. The guard should without a doubt be punished for his actions and if he really did strike this guy with what amounts to a weapon without the guy hitting him first then he should be charged with a crime and depending on other circumstances he maybe should also be charged with a crime even if the foreigner hit him first. However, none of us have seen this video yet but what we have seen is the foreign guy attacking BTS staff who are not in the least bit being threatening all while the foreign guy continues to disregard rules and force his way into the BTS when he has and is being told he has prohibited items.

Basically in my mind we have clear cut evidence that the farang was wrong and good speculation that one or more Thai security was wrong. If and when the other video's come out we may have just as much evidence to easily condemn others for their behaviors as is the case with the determined what to be passenger.

I guess if this view appears racist to you then so be it.

As mentioned in an earlier post, if any foreigner tried this in the US, UK, Europe or Australia, he/she would, at the very least, have spent the night in jail. Just thought I would mention this to put things in perspective.

As I mentioned before, I highly doubt this person would have behaved this way if he was back home too under similar circumstances.

And before I get called a racists and to follow what appears to be the de facto rule of of not mentioning any fault of the foreign passenger with at minimum equal blame to the Thai staff ... I am also guessing a Thai would have been treated differently by security in this situation.

The woman in the video is not his wife (unless that information has changed).

The video again shows AFTER HE WAS HIT IN THE HEAD- I don't know his state of mind in the video, and neither do you.

Yes, this does not show foreigners in a good light, although it is possible that even if it were found he was blameless, many people would not change their opinion, as I suspect you wouldn't.

I don't honestly know what would rectify this situation. Would you like him thrown in jail? Would that really improve Thai opinions of foreigners? I'm honestly asking.

You seem not to have a lot of faith in Thai people, if you think all of them think the same way, and do not have differing viewpoints. Could it be they would make their own minds up on this one case? Maybe they see that this was only one foreigner, who does not represent everyone, even if he is to blame?

You also seem very hostile to someone who disagrees with you and wasn't trying to goad you (at least before you started off at me). Issues?

Yes, this does not show foreigners in a good light, although it is possible that even if it were found he was blameless, many people would not change their opinion, as I suspect you wouldn't.

I don't honestly know what would rectify this situation. Would you like him thrown in jail? Would that really improve Thai opinions of foreigners? I'm honestly asking.

I know the question was not directed at me but IMO there is nothing that can be done from this incident to improve Thai opinions of foreigners or foreigner's opinions of Thais because this incident has nothing to do with either. If people accepted that then that alone would improve relations. Despite if security or the foreigner are racists, it should have nothing to do with overall opinion of either group ... this is one incident about a guy who refused to follow rulers and got overly emotional and then all hell broke loose.

When people stop taking these news stories and using them to condemn entire groups of people then opinions will change ... in other words, the problem is all within ourselves.

There are too many of us foreigners who never experience the problems others do here and there are too many foreigners who love and respect Thailand and too many Thais who love (literally if you visit Nana or Cowboy) and respect foreigners that come here to need to go down the road of racism. Just like almost anywhere in the world racism exists here but as in most places now it is up to yourself if you want it to control you and determine your happiness in life and overall view of others.

The only way to improve opinions is to impove our own.

• Like 1

Ignoring all this blether about 24 and Jack Bauer and Kiefer Sutherland, you are trying to defend an action by an out of control Mr. John Behan. The video clearly shows his behaviour, that of his friend, his wife/partner and those of the two male and one female security guards. Regardless of what happened before hand, his behaviour is unacceptable, a blemish to the already questionable name and status of many farangs in Thailand and will just make life harder for all of us foreigners here in Thailand.

I've asked a number of times for folks who defend John's actions to give me a scenario of what could have transpired before to justify the behavior we see of him on the tape and I have yet to get a response. I don't know Thai law as I do US law so can only reference US Law but I can think of nothing that could have occurred before the video that would prevent his being charged with a number of crimes in the states but would love for somebody to provide some plausible scenario where he could be excused for his actions legally. The closest I can come up with is a claim of some sort of brain injury that led him to be temporarily insane.

And to TRY to prevent being called labelled racist and Thai apologist .... the above is not to say that Thai people at the station did nothing wrong and shouldn't be punished for any wrong doing they have done nor does it in any way shape or form excuse any wrong doing by Thai people before or after the video. The opinions I have of John's actions are in no way an indication of how I feel about foreigners, including myself, and I am not so ignorant to believe this guy represents all foreigners.

Edited by Nisa

Nisa, I did give that a like, for what it's worth. I don't think I have been derogatory to any race in my posts, and in terms of race relations, I was responding to another poster. It's just that we have different viewpoints within this case of individuals.

I'm grateful that this forum made me aware of the existence of vicious gangs of BTS security guards who randomly and for no apparent reason ambush unsuspecting and defenceless foreigners and beat the living daylight out of them.

When I recall the numerous occasions where these little buggers helped me at the turnstile or opened the barrier with a smile for my bulky luggage I'm beginning to realize that I was just inches away from a jolly good whacking.

Riding on the BTS will never be the same again.

• Like 2

Good one, MikeOboe57 :) In future make sure a cameraman always accompanies you and do not ever kick trash cans if they ask you not to carry balloons. It's far simpler not to carry balloons. Hell, I am thinking since those balloons were so dear to him couldn't he have just shrugged when the guard said "No" and walked out and taken a cab ? Oh well in thatcase youtube would have had one less video and Thai Visa would have saved 28 pages, 700 posts and growing.

We will never know and it really is not the least bit relevant as one unknown online poster's opinion doesn't represent the views of any society. However it is curious.

The letter is quite similar in sentiment to what I've seen written by Thais on some of the Thai forums.