Bangkok BTS Apologises For Guard's Clash With Irish Passenger

webfact

I think people are missing the point here. The reason the guard accosted this Irishman was because the balloon were filled with acetylene gas instead of the more expensive Helium Gas. Acetylene gas is highly explosive but is very cheap to generate. Calcium carbine and a little H20 generated the gas. It is the balloon distributors that should be slammed!!! The Guard did not have a choice. His duty was to protect the public. The Irishman was protecting his kid and he also had no choice. It is the only type of balloon gas available.

I remember seeing an anti-smoking campaign event where an acetylene gas filled giant balloon caught fire and injured several persons. I believe this happened somewhere near China town (Yaowaraj). Should have been a lesson.

Anyway, the guard should have known that acetylene balloons can burn but will not cause a huge explosion. That only happens when you put the gas in a tube and ignite it. I know - I just to play with calcium carbine cannons.

He had a choice he was with his daughter.....he should of choose to walk away and catch a cab or take the bus.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Helium not hydrogen is the way forward.

Good point!! The balloons had to have been filled with helium, which is an inert gas. Guards totally in the wrong for stopping him. Wonder if anyone tried explaining this to the guards, or if they have even thought about it?

Had to have been filled with helium? How do you know that? No one knows if it was helium. in a country where the quality of medical gas is not even assured, you are going to assume that some guy walking around with balloons has helium in them? What part of no balloons allowed on the system do you not understand? The argument the man used is that he was let on previously, so he should be let on again. Brilliant logic. That is the same as saying, because one was able to do 70kmh in a 20kmh school zone, one should be able to keep on doing that.

Yes it is wrong there was an altercation, but the man was a fool for getting into a fight with the staff. He's got no one to blame but himself and he will find that the courts will side with the guards. How does anyone expect the guards were going to prevent this man from bringing the balloons into the system? In a world where terrorists use children to carry bombs, and where terrorists will assume the attire and appearance of "safe" people, no one knows what a terrorist or a nutter looks like anymore. The classic was Timmy McVeigh. Clean cut, and non threatening and yet he made a building go kaboom slaughtering hundreds. In Iraq, normal looking women walk into markets and go kaboom. In Spain, normal looking people got on the subway and it went kaboom. In Tokyo, normal looking people let off poisonous gas in the subway system.

And on TV anyone, even if not normal looking, is allowed to post. Quote:// the man was a fool for getting into a fight with the staff. He's got no one to blame but himself and he will find that the courts will side with the guards.//Unqoute. And you know all this how? The man was a fool, he is the only one to blame and you know beforehand how the court will judge. Amazing. But you must have been on site to beging with? And you can foresee how the Thai court will see this? Wow, this time you outdid yourself and that cannot have been easy.

The balloons had to have been filled with helium, which is an inert gas.

The balloons were filled with air. At 0:54 in the video the balloons are released and fall to the ground...no helium, no hydrogen, plain atmospheric air!

There is no way you or the Security Guard could know that.

The balloons were not filled with Hydrogen or Helium because, as you say, they fell to the ground when released; but that is definitely no evidence that they were filled with Air - there are a LOT of gases which are heavier than Air which are extremely combustible or toxic.

I think BTS is being very irresponsible with Security now though - they suspend one set of Guards for letting the clown get on a train earlier but also suspend Guards at Promphong for trying to do their duty.

I suspect in any future incident the Guards will just look the other way and pretend they see nothing - a great approach to Security Khun Anan!

Patrick

This is a point that I tried to make earlier....the guards are not at fault in this case because they are also giving mixed messages..(SINCE GRADE SCHOOL)..in this case it is very obvious that the system is broken. The fault lays solely with ANAT, It was also obvious that the reaction time for police reinforcements to a situation that could of gone really bad....what if they were pushing and shoving up on the dock....and the little girl was pushed on to the tracks just as a train pulled in. There are so many Managerial issues in which the focus should be on ANAT's A@# for the confusion. Insted of lining the guards up to empress the local captian, they should be holding drills at the less populated platforms for these types of situations. I SAY BLAIM THE MANAGER Khun Anat >.......Better yet.....lets Reshuffle.......everyone join in, get your reshuffle on....Put your right hand in and you shuffle it about.......you put your other maid in and kick your chauffeur out....make the misstress do the hookie shuffle and that's what it's all about...

The Irishman added not only did he sustain an injury and have to miss days of work, the incident also hurt his daughter's feeling who was at the scene.

He said the fact that BTS has sent flowers to apologize for the scandal could not make up for it.

1) Miss days off work? The guy should NEVER be allowed to work as a teacher again anywhere in the world. He clearly teaches that the laws don't matter.

2) His daughters feeling were hurt? So why didn't he take a cab and not subject his daughter to such beligerence?

3) The BTS sent flowers and this loser still carries on and on. What a prat.

It was nice that the BTS appologiesed however not nessacary. Did he apoligise to the Gaurds he got fired? NOT

Why were the guard{s} removed? Ok maybe the one who hit him just until investigations are finished but the others?

Does anyone know where this security gaurd lives? I want to buy him a beer. Because this loser decides he is above the law and cannot afford a taxi 3 or 4 Thai people are now without pay-checks. What a moron !!!!!!!!

Language barrier? I think both his wife and daughter could translate however it seems he has been here long enough to even understand pigeon English "No Ballons"

I agree with many here that losers like him give us decent farangs a bad name and I also ask Thai's not to blame all of us for these type of reprobates.

HOW THE HELLL CAN HE STILL HAVE A JOB TEACHING ???????

NOTHING BUT NET..........swiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish! ........."Basket ball term" for those soccer fans....this means....right on the money.

OK.....I've had enough of this hot air!! I want to spend my time in Thailand complaining about things that I can't do anything about, such as being double charged, called farang and political issues!! and now this guy come's along from \ kids party and starts world war 3 with a balloon, I mean, jeez!! What am I supposed to do now????

It's outrageous!! I have been in 470 BTS in the world and every single one of them has a sign outside saying........welcome to the BTS, no balloons allowed!!......and this guy,THIS GUY........he just marches right in with highly dangerous balloons and starts a fight with those poor innocent guards!!

DOES HE NOT KNOW THAT BALLOONS ARE A WELL KNOWN WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION!!!..........that was the first phone call to George W after the Iraq invasion......." Mr President, we can't find any nukes or chemical weapons, but we did find 2 dozen pink party balloons"......that find justified the entire Iraq war........

I think this guy should get life in jail.........he's obviously deranged and highly dangerous, and very clever too.......using his 6 year old cute little daughter as a decoy for his diabolical plan.......the guard shot have hit him harder. He's a very naughty boy.

The balloons were filled with air and not with an inflammable gas because they fell to ground at one point in the video and didn't disappear into the sky.

So what he was told NO!. NUF SAID!.

Rule 1 in Thailand.........don't lose your temper

No one can excuse the assault with a metal detector, but we all must take responsibility for ourselves here. This guy should have known better than to lose his rag............it always, always ends badly.

Whilst I totally agree that it is a bad idea to lose your temper ANYWHERE, I am constantly amused by the so called Thai experts who keep quoting this so called number one rule specifically about Thailand.

Tell it to the Thais mate!

I regularly see Thais going ballistic at each other even when sober, and God help us when they're drunk! You're lucky if they don't kill each other!

Then start watching Thai soap operas and see if you can find one where the Thais are not going ballistic at each other!

So keep giving us all this sound advice, but as I say, go tell it to the Thais also.

OK.......I'll keep my temper in check and tell you in my most reasonable calm voice.

You are not Thai............it does matter if you are in the right or wrong in an argument with a Thai, if you become aggressive with them you better expect every Thai in the area to launch in and beat you to a pulp.

It's not a question of right or wrong........that's the way it is.

Consider it like a married couple.......you would never get involved in a fight between them as they will both turn on you and give you a kicking.

The same thing applies here..............so I don't need to tell it to the Thais, I would tell it to anyone in Thailand, especially people who are visiting for the first time.

Don't lose your temper, and don't fight in Thailand. I would suggest that my advice is far far more sound that your entreaty that I go tell it to the Thais.

edited for clarity

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

Never ever argue, much less push or hit, with a security guard in Thailand or ANYWHERE in the world. It is not likely to turn out well. Common Sense 101. Lucky for him the guard didn't have a gun. Even if there had been a flashing sign in English saying no baloons i suspect the guy would have thought oh no it doesn't apply to me.

If the baloons were so very important then take a dam_n taxi.

• Like 1

Behind each Thai smile is an angry Thai.

Not keeping low profile in such a racist third world country is stupid (carrying that pink phallus like object I would have taken the taxi anyway), but hitting somebody on his head is ciriminal, especially if done by a guard who should be appropriately trained.

For our teachers sake stupidity is not criminal. And lack of etiquette and consideration for others does not warrant being hit on ones head.

And now I will complain to BTS security about the bikes at rush hour in the trainslicklips.gif.

F'n A let's all complain..... infact let's make it a PAAAAAAAAAAAAAARTY intheclub.gif I want to complain about having to stand next to stinky backpackers....or the fat farrang.....I prefer to stand or sit next to the HoT little THAI CHICKS..( 18 or over of course ) ...bless their warm little bodies. ROCK ON COMPLAINERS....

Its BTS Staff Fault they should behave well with their customers and also security guard assault should be taken as a crime towards the passenger they should improve there service. I agree with comment of theblether & Thaialndajarn of post #3,4 and 5... if they say Balloons are dangerous then how they allow a cigarette lighter on BTS trains? what type of law is that highly unacceptable, Customer service counts first to be taken and the BTS should had that time tell the security guard to stop misbehave and should not taken harshly the balloons from passenger without his permission, While both side keep control on there anger, The case goes on BTS as the security guard assault was a very wrong step.

Do you reckon he was heading for a clearing?

Things are so, so bad here in Ireland maybe he was hoping to fly home by the balloons and save the airfare???

NOW THAT WAS FUNNY......I could just see the headlines.......IRISH TRIES TO COMMIT SUICIDE after he was saddened by a struggle on the Skytrain, by jumping from a BTS Station with stolen baloons from his daughters birthday party TO HIS DISMAY He ENDS UP BACK HOME IN IRELAND!. BLOODY ELL drunk.gif

To me the Irish guy is way out of order,all that commotion, & violence in front of his young daughter,over a few balloons .A breatherlyser reading would have been interesting.

This sort of loutish behavior may be acceptable in Ireland, but certainly not in Thailand.I am very surprised BTS apologised.

1. I did not see any actual violence. Pushing and shoving ..yes.

2. Don't assume because he is Irish a breathalyser would be necessary.

3. Ireland may be down but we are not out. We don't behave as you suggest in Ireland. Evident by the violent protests in France, Greece, Spain and others. We aven't despite taking a horrendous hammering that would shake other countries to their core.

4. Guards in Ireland have a brain and they use it. We don't harrass visitors to our country. We go out of our way to please and accomodate our guests. We are famous world wide for our hospitality.

4. Guards in Ireland have a brain and they use it. We don't harrass visitors to our country. We go out of our way to please and accomodate our guests. We are famous world wide for our hospitalit

giggle.gif

Edited by sirchai

Have I missed something, this thread is still going strong?

I thought the BTS had already apologized, fired the guard guilty of assault & reprimanded the other guards? Oh, they did.

So why are people still spouting all manner of BS about balloons, the Irish and drunk ferangs?!

It's pretty bloody obvious that BTS lawyers wouldn't allow them to make a formal apology if they had a leg to stand on in arguing that this wasn't entirely the fault of their employees.

Even more damning is the fact that they have CCTV footage of the entire incident which they won't release, also fairly bloody obviously at the advice of their lawyers because to release it would further incriminate their staff.

Moving along....

You have to understand that this thread appears to be going along the lines of the infamous April 1st thread last year regarding 50 year farangs not being allowed with marry Thai women....even faced with the truth and being told it was a joke, Certain TV members refused to believe it and carried on ranting and raving....

What do you mean it was an April Fool? huh.png .........I brought my wedding forward so that I wouldn't be barred from marrying my Thai lady!!!

Goddammitttttt!!!!! annoyed.gif

even though it has been stated from the start, and countless times after that, that the witness filming this only started filming after she noticed the guy being, apparently unprovoked, severely smacked over the head with something hard.

That has never been "stated", not even implied, and in fact the person who took the Video has, to my knowledge, not yet even been traced.

He / She almost certainly started taking the Video once she saw this lumpen Farang moron abusing BTS Security Staff who were simply trying to obey their instructions not to allow Balloons onto the BTS System.

Patrick

Patrick, such harsh words about the Irishman, yet what you base it on is so easily shown to be wrong.

She [the witness] did not start taking the video after she saw anyone abusing the BTS staff. The quote from

Mr. Drummonds site (www.andrew-drummond.com/view-story.php?sid=527) is '

Gee Gee added: “I took a video of the last couple of minutes because I was so surprised at the behaviour of the guard.'

That statement has been available since before this thread started. In addition, it has been repeated ad nauseam by other posters here. Now what does that say about you, do you think?

Edited by thaiphoon
  • Like 1

Good point!! The balloons had to have been filled with helium, which is an inert gas. Guards totally in the wrong for stopping him. Wonder if anyone tried explaining this to the guards, or if they have even thought about it?

Helium is as you say "inert" not explosive. Trying to explain this to the average security guard in Thailand may work if you smile enough and say na krap a lot, even if he/she does not understand the science, even if you explain it in clear Thai.

To shed some light on this, lets use a real example of a person that works with vanilla and chocolate soft serve ice cream every day at IKEA, Bangna.

I asked for "chocolate ice cream' very clear Thai language. The lady then asked me "vanilla"? I asked for chocolate second time, she responded "vanilla chocolate mix"

Then I got pissed and told her in Thai; chocolate is chocolate. chocolate is not vanilla, chocolate is not vanilla chocolate mix. Then I looked at the celling and said พระเจ้า God (prajaow)

Then she succeeded in making a chocolate cone.

You cant make this stuff up.

And there MANY MANY more incidents/experiences akin to this and not limited to lower level employees, but to uni grads in offices, banks, etc etc.

Edited by atyclb

snip>

In a world where terrorists use children to carry bombs, and where terrorists will assume the attire and appearance of "safe" people, no one knows what a terrorist or a nutter looks like anymore. The classic was Timmy McVeigh. Clean cut, and non threatening and yet he made a building go kaboom slaughtering hundreds. In Iraq, normal looking women walk into markets and go kaboom. In Spain, normal looking people got on the subway and it went kaboom. In Tokyo, normal looking people let off poisonous gas in the subway system.

where are all the crazy looking terrosists tho, that's what I wanna know!

Just wait until you piss someone off......you'll understand when it all blows up in your face. Anyone your standing next can turn into a terrorist if they get pissed off enough...I would guess we will see it happen in Bangkok one day with them using the Skytrain or the Subway.. The ability for them to detect something here is very slim. I am just glad I don't have to use the skytrain much anymore...everytime I get on it...I have to look at everyone around me and everyone getting on the train...which is totally impossible nor would I even know what to look for....like you. But I would like to send you to the Middle East maybe you can find your answer there..

yeah, maybe you missed that it was a joke and i wasn't actually really looking for an answer.

but if you want to buy me a ticket to the middle east and put me up, be my guest, dubai would be nice for a holiday, thanks buddy.

"Guards did not speak enough English", that's crap, this is not England, the guy doesn't speak enough Thai.

It is so totally wrong to expect a guard to speak enough English. His job trained him to stop balloons, that's what he was doing. If you are told you can't take them, seek advice or authority, don't behave as if you are the authority, you are not. . . . You are a visitor here, if you don't understand Thailand and the Thais, shut up and learn, or shut up and go home.

• Like 1

The Irish person tried to bully his way past the Security Guards. You can clearly see him throw a kick at the Security Guards. This action in the USA would have prompted the Security Guards to physically restrain him. The Thai Security Guards did not then physically restrain him. The Security Guards showed great restraint in not then clubbing him. He would likely have been clubbed then in the USA. He is clearly shown to be assaulting the Security Guards. The Security Guards were not laying a finger on the person, when he attacked them. This is a case of an Irish hot head, not wanting to obey the rules. The fact that he got away with going on the BTS with balloons previously, does not then mean that he can forever after disregard the rules. To draw an analogy its like parking on an expired meter, being lucky enough not to get a parking ticket, and thinking that for ever after you can park on an expired meter, and not get a parking ticket. He deserves deportation back to the Emerald Isle. Also, he should pay compensation for the assault against the Security Guards. Their is no excuse for his childish behavior!

And all the other idiots who can't stop complaining, moaning, seem to be so unhappy with so much in Thailand, especially with the Thais; go home, if its so much whatever . . . Just go away and let the rest of us who like the Thais the way they are, get on with enjoying this lovely place. I'm sick of seeing Argo situations, road rage and misunderstandings which are totally visitor created, by visitor who are suggesting the Thais need to change and do it their way. The thais have their own ways of doing stuff and it works for them.

• Like 1

Had to have been filled with helium? How do you know that?

Exactly. The sign says no BALLOONS and does specify what kind of gas they are filled with. The foreigner was in the wrong and it does not matter what he got away with earlier in the day. Some arrogant foreigners seem to feel that they are entitled to not follow rules in Thailand because of their white skin.

hah yeah rules / thailand didn't realise the two went hand in hand myself , I'll keep an eye out for thai's flouting their own laws / rules next time I'm there giggle.gif

Edited by miksguevara

Had to have been filled with helium? How do you know that? No one knows if it was helium. in a country where the quality of medical gas is not even assured, you are going to assume that some guy walking around with balloons has helium in them? What part of no balloons allowed on the system do you not understand? The argument the man used is that he was let on previously, so he should be let on again. Brilliant logic. That is the same as saying, because one was able to do 70kmh in a 20kmh school zone, one should be able to keep on doing that.

Yes it is wrong there was an altercation, but the man was a fool for getting into a fight with the staff. He's got no one to blame but himself and he will find that the courts will side with the guards. How does anyone expect the guards were going to prevent this man from bringing the balloons into the system? In a world where terrorists use children to carry bombs, and where terrorists will assume the attire and appearance of "safe" people, no one knows what a terrorist or a nutter looks like anymore. The classic was Timmy McVeigh. Clean cut, and non threatening and yet he made a building go kaboom slaughtering hundreds. In Iraq, normal looking women walk into markets and go kaboom. In Spain, normal looking people got on the subway and it went kaboom. In Tokyo, normal looking people let off poisonous gas in the subway system.

There are no terrorists in Thailand remember.Chalerm said so.

The balloons were filled with air. At 0:54 in the video the balloons are released and fall to the ground...no helium, no hydrogen, plain atmospheric air!

Stop letting facts get in the way of potentially terrorist hydrogen filled balloons.

The balloons were not filled with Hydrogen or Helium because, as you say, they fell to the ground when released; but that is definitely no evidence that they were filled with Air - there are a LOT of gases which are heavier than Air which are extremely combustible or toxic.

I'd also be very interested to know what dangerous gases are both cheaper, heavier and more readily available than air, making them a viable alternative to air when filling up balloons.

Why are balloons becoming the object of such fear and derision?!

oxy+acetylene is very explosive...and heavier than air... and readily available (though, obviously, not moreso than air). In my youthful "experimenting" phase I had a close call...perfect blue cone /extinguish/fill ballon: Holding fist-sized OA balloon under arm against my side while I filled another, wearing goose down vest...static elec. ...BOOM!!... rafters shop shook reigning down dust, feathers everywhere (and 100 bleeding pin pricks where driven into my side). Couldn't hear out of right ear for a week. Someone nearby used same (prob. little bigger) to destroy phone booth. Half dozen on air-tight crowded train wouldn't be pretty. To the ignorant rules often seem "stoopid" and they feel they know better than the experts who are paid to do research and assess the big picture and make the rules/best decision for the "greater good" (little graduate has to suffer a bit of fleeting sadness for the benefit of the greater good).

The Irish guy is totally in the wrong. The train management should work at having better enforcement consistency.

• Like 1

From the video it clearly shows the farang as arrogant and aggressive...if the balloons meant so much to his daughter, the least a sensible father could do stop creating a scene and take a cab back...maybe this farang thinks he is still in Vietnam...

Were the Irish in Vietnam?
  • Like 1

I think BTS is being very irresponsible with Security now though - they suspend one set of Guards for letting the clown get on a train earlier but also suspend Guards at Promphong for trying to do their duty.

I suspect in any future incident the Guards will just look the other way and pretend they see nothing - a great approach to Security Khun Anan!

Patrick

Can you please provide a link that shows there are a `lot of gases which are heavier than air which are extremely combustible or toxic please.

I think that anyone who's lived here more than a few months knows getting irate in a situation like that in Thailand, in public, is not going to come out in your favor.  No offense to the security guards, but they weren't hired for having the mental capacity to make judgement calls in cases like that, deciding that Behan's balloons weren't most likely NOT going to be used in a terroristic manner, especially given the fact his daughter was right there with him.

They are told "no flammables" and then follow the rules, regardless.  I know, I've been stopped for trying to carry rubber cement once and another time engine cleaner.  Once just took the bus home because I was only a few stops away.  The other, I beg and pleaded, in Thai, to let me on, the canisters were sealed, etc...  No joy!  Frustrated, I just left the cans on his little table and walked into the station.

I feel sorry for Behan, but from the video, he was getting hostile with them, and they were following the rules, technically.

But I want to pose a question: Why not just confiscate people's lighters (and matches) ??   Or at a minimum, follow the rules completely,  Nothing quite as flammable as a cigarette lighter!  Makes it tough to set other flammable materials on fire with out a fire source.

How about patting everyone down before entrance to check for flammables??  Strip searches??

Funny thing about this incident is that the MRT checks my bag every time, but I've never had my bag checked on the BTS, granted I don't use it that often.

So, just to be clear, the guards are so concerned about the safety of the passengers they refuse entrance to someone carrying balloons, but let anyone with a bag on their back carry whatever they want onto the trains??  And don't stop people from bringing highly flammable lighters as well??

I think all these security measures are just another example of how the "powers that be" want to give the public the appearance of safety, when in reality they only inconvenience, unnecessarily, the public they are trying to protect, and doing that without really adding any additional security.   And this is not a problem exclusive to this country, but have become pervasive throughout the world.

You are absolutely spot on with your analysis. There is never anything to be gained by raising ones voice with a Thai. Especially in public, in front of a crowd. As a foreigner we could never understand the concept of "face". Personally, I do not give a rats ass what people think of me. But, that is not the attitude in LOS. Despite all the wonderful qualities they have, they are very stubborn, willful, and prideful people. Raising ones voice with a Thai rarely accomplishes anything, and will often inflame a situation. Better to speak quietly, but firmly. According to this video, the fareng was pretty obnoxious. Not saying he deserved the treatment he got, but he could have handled himself with a little bit more dignity.

Can anyone show me an example of anywhere in the world where a balloon caused a stampede which resulted in injury and loss of life? Maybe we should all wear rubber suits and helmets at all times to prevent the possibility of an injury resulting from a trip or a bump.

Unquote

Good law making dictates that contingencies are covered before the events occur. I'm sure there have been stampedes induced by panic and whilst I don't know of one, I don't read all the world's news every day, nor retain what I've read for ever.

But that is irrelevant. The BTS rules say NO BALLOONS. Why are posters ignoring that point? If a security guard says 'Don't take it on', he has an expectation that the instruction will be followed, and he has a right, under the law, to enforce the instruction. Why that rule is in place is not important because travelers are not permitted to take them on the BTS. END OF STORY.

What amazes me is that we have non Thais posting here in favour of breaching established rules that they would never consider breaching back home, wherever home is.

I think we should start a move here, a petition, to have the guard reinstated, if he was fired as BTS management say. More likely he has been moved though until the heat is off.

Edited by F4UCorsair
  • Like 1