Bangkok BTS Apologises For Guard's Clash With Irish Passenger

webfact

BTS apologises for guard's clash with Irish passenger

30178547-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS), the operator of the Skytrain, yesterday apologised to a foreign passenger who claimed he was attacked by a security guard for breaching a rule banning gas-filled balloons on the rail system.

The apology followed the filing of police complaints by both sides in the March 16 altercation at Prompong Station.

"We have already removed the guard who were involved from the BTS system," BTS executive Anat Arbhabhirama said yesterday.

He added that negligent officials - who he said were the source of the passenger's dissatisfaction - would also face a disciplinary probe and harsh disciplinary action.

Irish teacher John Behan did not stop when security guards at Prompong Station told him he could not take balloons onto the train, saying he had boarded the Skytrain several times that day with the balloons, which had been given to his 7-year-old daughter as graduation presents.

The girl had celebrated her graduation from kindergarten earlier in the day.

"Balloons are inflammable. We strictly don't allow passengers to bring along gas-filled balloons," Anat said.

According to Anat, Behan argued heatedly with the security guards, pushing one in the chest and kicking the chief of the station. In self-defence, a security guard hit the passenger with a scanner.

"The chief of the station then tried to provide first aid, but the passenger refused and tried to walk up the platform. Then, the scene turned chaotic again," Anat said.

He said BTS would take additional measures to ensure that such an incident never happened again.

Anat said BTS would cooperate with the investigation into a complaint filed by Behan. In his complaint, Behan said he was attacked while his young daughter was watching.

Earlier in the day, Anat said BTS had lodged a complaint against Behan over damage to its property and attempts to assault its staff.

He said police would investigate and determine who was in the wrong.

Anat said he believed there might have been a problem with communication, as station staff were not fluent in English.

In a message posted on the Internet, Behan's wife Patcharamas Phusri said the incident took place on March 16, the day her daughter celebrated her graduation from a kindergarten.

"The balloons are gifts from her teachers and other parents on her graduation day. They have much sentimental value to her," Patcharamas said in the message. "My husband, his coworkers, our daughter and my mom took the Sktrain with the balloons before they ended up having problems at the Prompong station." An informed source yesterday disclosed that many security guards at Siam Station were transferred for their failure to prevent Behan from carrying the floating balloons into a train.

In her post, Patcharamas said she was not present during the confrontation, but rushed to the scene as soon as she was notified that her husband was involved in an altercation.

"When I arrived, I found my husband was bleeding," she said.

She claimed the BTS security guards attacked her husband after they had already taken the balloons away.

Both sides have lodged complaints with Thonglor police station.

The police station's superintendent, Colonel Ratsak Raksalam, said investigators would question more witnesses, possibly including the one who posted a video of the incident on the Internet.

"The clips we have obtained from Skytrain have no audio," he said.

According to him, police have not yet pressed charges against anyone as they are still waiting for physical examination certificates issued by a doctor.

"The doctor at the Police Hospital will determine the level of Behan's injuries," Ratsak said, explaining that this would determine the severity of any possible charges.

Ratsak said that from what he had learned so far, he believed both Behan and BTS security guard Prasarn Thawongklang were trying to do their "duty".

"Behan was doing his duty as a father, but Prasarn was carrying out his duty as a security guard of the Skytrain," the police officer said. "If a balloon explodes in a train compartment, other passengers may think a bomb has gone off and panic. A stampede could follow, and many people can be injured in such scenario."

According to Ratsak, a physical assault is punishable by a fine and/or a jail term.

"If the assault does not really cause physical harm, the maximum fine is Bt1,000 and the jail term would be no more than one month," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-23

related topic:

Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard - Police Launch Investigation

http://www.thaivisa....-investigation/

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which begs thr most obvious question, how can anyone be allowed to sell inflammable gas in balloons. Helium not hydrogen is the way forward.

Had a kids party where a few went bang. Wondered how helium could go bang and realised the resident balloon guy had a hydrogen canister next to the barbecue.

• Like 2

I think that anyone who's lived here more than a few months knows getting irate in a situation like that in Thailand, in public, is not going to come out in your favor. No offense to the security guards, but they weren't hired for having the mental capacity to make judgement calls in cases like that, deciding that Behan's balloons weren't most likely NOT going to be used in a terroristic manner, especially given the fact his daughter was right there with him.

They are told "no flammables" and then follow the rules, regardless. I know, I've been stopped for trying to carry rubber cement once and another time engine cleaner. Once just took the bus home because I was only a few stops away. The other, I beg and pleaded, in Thai, to let me on, the canisters were sealed, etc... No joy! Frustrated, I just left the cans on his little table and walked into the station.

I feel sorry for Behan, but from the video, he was getting hostile with them, and they were following the rules, technically.

But I want to pose a question: Why not just confiscate people's lighters (and matches) ?? Or at a minimum, follow the rules completely, Nothing quite as flammable as a cigarette lighter! Makes it tough to set other flammable materials on fire with out a fire source.

How about patting everyone down before entrance to check for flammables?? Strip searches??

Funny thing about this incident is that the MRT checks my bag every time, but I've never had my bag checked on the BTS, granted I don't use it that often.

So, just to be clear, the guards are so concerned about the safety of the passengers they refuse entrance to someone carrying balloons, but let anyone with a bag on their back carry whatever they want onto the trains?? And don't stop people from bringing highly flammable lighters as well??

I think all these security measures are just another example of how the "powers that be" want to give the public the appearance of safety, when in reality they only inconvenience, unnecessarily, the public they are trying to protect, and doing that without really adding any additional security. And this is not a problem exclusive to this country, but have become pervasive throughout the world.

• Like 2

Helium not hydrogen is the way forward.

Good point!! The balloons had to have been filled with helium, which is an inert gas. Guards totally in the wrong for stopping him. Wonder if anyone tried explaining this to the guards, or if they have even thought about it?

• Like 1

Good point!! The balloons had to have been filled with helium, which is an inert gas. Guards totally in the wrong for stopping him. Wonder if anyone tried explaining this to the guards, or if they have even thought about it?

Had to have been filled with helium? How do you know that? No one knows if it was helium. in a country where the quality of medical gas is not even assured, you are going to assume that some guy walking around with balloons has helium in them? What part of no balloons allowed on the system do you not understand? The argument the man used is that he was let on previously, so he should be let on again. Brilliant logic. That is the same as saying, because one was able to do 70kmh in a 20kmh school zone, one should be able to keep on doing that.

Yes it is wrong there was an altercation, but the man was a fool for getting into a fight with the staff. He's got no one to blame but himself and he will find that the courts will side with the guards. How does anyone expect the guards were going to prevent this man from bringing the balloons into the system? In a world where terrorists use children to carry bombs, and where terrorists will assume the attire and appearance of "safe" people, no one knows what a terrorist or a nutter looks like anymore. The classic was Timmy McVeigh. Clean cut, and non threatening and yet he made a building go kaboom slaughtering hundreds. In Iraq, normal looking women walk into markets and go kaboom. In Spain, normal looking people got on the subway and it went kaboom. In Tokyo, normal looking people let off poisonous gas in the subway system.

where are all the crazy looking terrosists tho, that's what I wanna know!

"Balloons are inflammable. We strictly don't allow passengers to bring along gas-filled balloons," Anat said.

Do not have all the information, but the balloons look air filled to me. Would it be considered okay to bring air filled balloons then, I wonder. Several issues arise from this incident here,

1. Foreigner that has been living here for a while now (assumption), trying to muscle his way through the system and BTS rules. Respect the rules of where you're at.

2. BTS does not have/enforce a standardized system. A lot if left to the discretion of the workers.

3. As for the assault, nothing is clear until someone credible steps forward or the CCTV footage is viewed. We do not know for sure who instigated the violence resulting in the apparent pushing, kicking and clubbing. So I would reserve my comments, I would however note that for a guard to club a passenger, that passenger better be either armed or excessively violent.

Edited by RedNIvar
  • Like 1

They have been told to stop people taking balloons on board. This is a BTS directive that the guards are expected to comply with. You don`t know their job. I`m afraid this is is a case of damned if you do and damned if you don`t.
  • Like 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP-0ZoKpBMY

Youtube link of the incident..

Dumb fool think he's above the law by insisting in bringing in the balloon when it is clearly prohibited

Not sure anything is clearlu prohibited in Thailand. He's wrong but having the incident end with a beating shoes a slight lack of skills on the part of the guard. But then I dont expect the conersation started with "excuse me" rather " hey u"

Earlier in the day, Anat said BTS had lodged a complaint against Behan over damage to its property and attempts to assault its staff.

BTS didn't waste in time covering its a_rse!!

Yeah, I spotted that one too. Made me angry. Lodged how? Is there some indisputable timestamp or is it just "written" and "witnessed"? Of course it will be concrete by the time the lawyers and such have finished with it.

That is always my worry here. Best keep your mouth shut and say "Khaw Thawt Khrap". In reality what happened was wrong, but it wouldn't have been wrong if he had followed his apology with the words "Taxi, meter". Much simpler.

Dumb fool think he's above the law by insisting in bringing in the balloon when it is clearly prohibited

On the other, ongoing thread, one poster went to that station and was not not able to find any such signs. Up until this incident, I wasn't aware of any such restriction. I have seen balloons on the BTS. I have never seen these signs. Try riding it during Chula's graduation!

The one good thing that has possibly come from this incident is that many more people are aware of the restriction. Now, whether everyone will take heed, time will tell. After all, this is Thailand and Chula will have more graduations...

Edited by Curt1591
  • Like 1

His behaviour just brings the rest of us foreigners down even further in the eyes of all Thai's here. Thanks a lot you asshol_e. Go back home and leave your superior attitude there where it belongs.

Agreed. Too many of these 'holier than thou' types in Asia at the moment. Hopefully they'll go home when their economy picks up.

• Like 1

I didn't realize that balloons could pose such a threat in Thailand. The government assured us that lebonese guys storing explosives and planning bombings was nothing to be alarmed about and there is no terrorist threat in Thailand. Then on the other hand we have a father and daughter with a couple of party balloons and they are a huge threat to national security.

Has anyone seen the disaster just waiting to happen in Big C? I don't mean to cause alarm or scare anyone but next time your in Big C have a look over towards the smallgoods section and you will see a couple of attractive innocent looking Bangkok Smallgoods and CP sales girls. These girls give these dangerous balloons to children who then disperse throughout the store. Can you imagine the sheer panic and disaster if these balloons were co ordinated 1DCF3A-simultaneously.jpg to simultaneously pop.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 2

According to the video/testimonies (unverified) posted, they claim that the farang did a choking grip on the guard's neck. That's when the guard clubbed him with the metal detector and gave him a bloodied face.

The BTS stations have a video surveillance system covering the ticket counter and gate areas...where all this occurred. The authorities should be able to see a full video record (unlike the partial posting here on ThaiVisa) of the encounter, from beginning to end... No audio though...

That ought to pretty clearly show what led to the guy getting hit in the head. I haven't seen it, of course. But I'd tend to doubt that the BTS security guard hit the guy in the head without some considerable provocation. The guy's behavior on the partial video posted here is certainly suggestive of that.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK