Made My Own Bacon This Week...

Pseudolus

Sorry to be picky but due to the lack of a nitrate, which is what cures the meat, you are only really eating salted pork.

Nitrates are used in the combat of bacteria. By destroying the bacteria the nitrates give the meat the pink colour. The cure can then be left for longer in a cool place, no fridge needed, and the " bacon" taste will be better.

The effects on heallth are not worth worrying about. The salt in the meat is more detrimantal. The nitrate should be added at about 2 gms per kilo of salt.

KNO3 is readily available as the Thai sausage vendors use it to keep their sausages free of bacteria.

I could not find Pink Salt so had to omit it. However, the during really mean drawing out all the water which therefore kills the bacteria. Sure it is not pink when cooked but I can live without that.

I do use nitrites with my bacon, although you don't have to. It's the salt that cures it, the nitrite means it keeps longer and gives it an added 'cured' flavour as well as the attractive pink colour.

To make it, its rubbed in a mix of curing salt, dark brown sugar and black pepper sealed in a bag and kept in the fridge for about 8 days, turning each day. Then its rinsed off under the tap, dried and left uncovered for 24 hours in the fridge. Then just slice and cook. Its not hard, but to make good bacon you need good pork and that can be tough here.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Where did you get the curing salt from? I tried all the supermarkets as well as Makro, but nothing.

Awesome bacon by the way - where do you live as I would like to come round to compare tasting notes (i.e., scoff down a kilo of your bacon 55555)

Potassium Nitrate is available. The Thai word is " din bra seew".As I said before the Thai sausage vendors use it. That is why the sausages always look under cooked. They are actually cooked but get the pink colour from the nitrates.

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

some good ideas in this thread , on making dry cure bacon , i would like to make a large batch , i want to buy some saltpeter , from exquiste foods pattaya can anyone tell me there address or phone number please.

also is there anything else i need for dry cure bacon.

Thanks

Boyce

Royal Exquisite Food Ltd- Drive Sukhumvit towards Sattahip. After you cross to Pattaya Klang you follow the Sukhumvit Road for around 300/400m (after Bus station). Directly before the Ferrari/Lamborghini Showroom you drive inside the Pattaya Plaza. After 100m on the left side is the small Shop. Royal Exquisite Food.

They moved from this site a year or so ago now.

They're now just down the road on Boonsamphan. Follow the road down until it bends to the right and they're on the righthand side just past the new shophouses.

They don't have salt petre, but do sell Nitrite salt. Ask for 'Brine salt', it's about 100 baht a kilo or 1,200 baht for 25kg sack. If dry curing you use about 30g per kilo, so it goes a long way.

Edited by theseahorse

Royal Exquisite Food Ltd- Drive Sukhumvit towards Sattahip. After you cross to Pattaya Klang you follow the Sukhumvit Road for around 300/400m (after Bus station). Directly before the Ferrari/Lamborghini Showroom you drive inside the Pattaya Plaza. After 100m on the left side is the small Shop. Royal Exquisite Food.

They moved from this site a year or so ago now.

They're now just down the road on Boonsamphan. Follow the road down until it bends to the right and they're on the righthand side just past the new shophouses.

They don't have salt petre, but do sell Nitrite salt. Ask for 'Brine salt', it's about 100 baht a kilo or 1,200 baht for 25kg sack. If dry curing you use about 30g per kilo, so it goes a long way.

Hi there do you have any more info on the new address, i'm sending a mate there on thursday to get some brine salt.

also do they sell any other dry cure mix.

Thanks

Boyce

Sorry, don't have an actual address, but if your friend drives down Boonsamphan Rd and keeps going until the road bends to the right he'll see a row of brand new shophouses. After these shop houses, it's the first detached house. They have lot's of coffee machines and german beer in the window.

They don't really sell drycure mixes, they're more of a supplier of German butchery products (as well as German beers and coffee machines). But they do sell Nitrite salt (they call it brine salt)

To drycure just add 30g of nitrite salt and 10g sugar per kilo of meat, rub it in and place in a tray or ziplock bag and leave it in the fridge (turning each day) for 2 days per cm of meat plus 2 extra days (so an average belly thats 4cm thick will take 10 days). Once done rinse it off and leave uncovered in the fridge to dry. Next day, either smoke it or slice it and cook it.

You can also play around adding extra flavours - black pepper, garlic, thyme, etc or change the sugar to honey or molassus. Have fun, create you're own favourite, there's no reason to buy a premade mix if you can get nitrite salt, the stuff is designed to be fool proof.

I have posted this before methinks but.....

just marinate thin sliced belly pork from the wet market with fish sauce in plaaaastic box..tastes great (I think )and no hassle..can use/cook crispy immediately or until finished or after a few days which in our case is very few..lol