Surge Protection And Adapters

Mark Wolfe

Looking at the large surge protectors in Internet cafes, I wonder about when I come to Thailand next month what, if anything, to do about this for my laptop at home.

My understanding is that even simply charging the battery with the computer off is a risk.

What do people there do?

Also, my charger for my battery for my digital camera says not to use a power adapter. What do I make of this?

Thanks

Mark

What is the input voltage rating of your battery charger? If it does not range up to 230 or 240v you would need to use a transformer to lower the voltage to the 120v or whatever the input is. You could do this regardless of any warnings. Just be sure it is a transformer rather than a resistive only type converters (lightweight cans). Better still would be to buy a new charger here where it will almost always cover 100-240v range.

I would not be overly concerned about surge protection. If you feel at risk without it buy a good UPS and plug the laptop into that.

FYI: people use laptops every day without problems here - the power is not that bad.

Hi Mark

Check your camera charger, if the rating plate says something like 'input 100-240V' it will work just fine without a converter, same for your laptop.

I have a simple surge arrestor plug that fits between the wall socket and the laptop power cord, it also provides protection to the phone line. Got it in Pantip, I forget how much it was but it wasn't expensive, gives a little peace of mind.

It is important to note that these surge arrestors only work correctly with a properly grounded 3 prong outlet.

As to your AV stuff, leave it in the US, it will invariably be NTSC and 110V only, not worth shipping (Thailand is PAL 220V).

As to your AV stuff, leave it in the US, it will invariably be NTSC and 110V only, not worth shipping (Thailand is PAL 220V).

I will have to check, but my impression is that I can switch to PAL. If that is true, then I should only need a power converter, yes?

If your kit can handle PAL yes, you'll only need a power converter (easily obtainable here). A lot of multi-standard kit is also multi voltage so you may not need the converter. Look on the rating plate for allowable voltages.

PLEASE be aware that the power outlets in Thailand are the same style as in the US, many people assume that the power coming out is the same too, bangs, smoke and tears often result :o