Yingluck Gets By With A Little Help

Lite Beer

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geriatrickid-----Did I read you right, "she managed to deliver benefits" like 40% rises in food prices in many vital foods, suggesting she avert a war with Cambodia, Her own minister admitted he made a mistake with the dam water level, not releasing water before the rains arrived. Ha Ha the nation cared for in the flood crises YOU are Joking, 5,000 bht per house---and still waiting. Big % electricity was to blame for deaths.

If you remember at the time so much fuss was put on Thaksins return, and other related matters rather than the crises in the country. The army did a fantastic job for the people, NOT the politicians--and not the police--Thai people and Farrangs worked round the clock. Your government was pathetic, totally opposite to your comments. You amaze me with your posts, better tell some truths, than this rubbish.

I will admit that some good things did happen, the country rallied round. But at the end of the day whatever the P.M. did, she gets paid for doing it, and it's her job to do it.

If I remember well it was Abhisit who had the luminous idea to sell eggs by kilo.

As far as I know Good Old England is the only other country that sells eggs by weight and potatoes by number, but they live on an island and drive at the wrong side too.

Where did you get hat idea from? Eggs are sold by the dozen and potatoes by weight (unfortunately kg rather than lb).

"Did you obtain a French language-based Masters degree at a university in France?"

That is irrelevant to the point I was making, and you know it. My point was that any language unless frequently used gets rusty. After 21 years of disuse I would expect here usage of English to be poor.

The reason I asked was that you were making a comparison of your experience with those of Yingluck. I was just pointing out the dissimilarities, which negates the comparison.

Your other point that, without use, language skills can diminish with time is valid.

It's just that the image projected of her even before she was PM was that she was international business executive who proudly proclaimed to being in charge of a company with 20 million customers. In that sort of scenario, one might think she encounters English on at least an occasional basis, if not daily.

If, instead, she was actually a business executive in title only and acted only as a pretty front for her brother's businesses, with no actual responsibilities, and who only had very limited exposure to the real international business world, I could understand her current language shortcomings.

As usual a post full of non sequiturs. Anterian made a perfectly valid point about loss of language skills over time and you dragged in Yingluck's attendance at a US university. I know nothing of Anterian's history but, if he is from Europe, he would have spent at least a year at a French university to obtain his degree.

She was a business executive in charge of a company with 20 million customers? How many of those customers were English speakers? And why, do you think that she would encounter English on at least an occasional basis?

Just the usual diatribe I have come to expect - full of puff and no substance. You would do well as a Nation opinion writer?

You take things entirely too personal. Or at least it comes across that way in your inflammatory replies.

I asked the question of anterian to see if his circumstances mirrored Yinglucks. He never answered it, but apparently he didn't obtain a Master degree program using French at a French university so their situations were different.

I acknowledged his valid point on diminishing language skills.

Yingluck claimed in an interview (the ABC News one linked earlier) to lead a business with 20 million customers. That's her claim. I'm unaware of how many English speakers were customers of her family's AIS corporation (I'm assuming that's the one she's referring to). As the supposed boss of the nation's largest telecom business, I would think she encounters English at least occasionally in the course of her multitude of corporate headquarter duties.

Edited by Buchholz

Could you give us an example of one of the occasions where he was unable to answer a question and you knew this was because his team had not prepped him?

Yes, one example:

In the infamous press conference after the 2010 crackdown he was asked why the prachatai website was still blocked, and he answered that he thought it was open already, looked around quite astonished to Panitan, the acting government spokesman, and to Kasit, the Foreign Minister. One of them, i think it was Panitan, answered instead.

"Did you obtain a French language-based Masters degree at a university in France?"

That is irrelevant to the point I was making, and you know it. My point was that any language unless frequently used gets rusty. After 21 years of disuse I would expect here usage of English to be poor.

The reason I asked was that you were making a comparison of your experience with those of Yingluck. I was just pointing out the dissimilarities, which negates the comparison.

Your other point that, without use, language skills can diminish with time is valid.

It's just that the image projected of her even before she was PM was that she was international business executive who proudly proclaimed to being in charge of a company with 20 million customers. In that sort of scenario, one might think she encounters English on at least an occasional basis, if not daily.

If, instead, she was actually a business executive in title only and acted only as a pretty front for her brother's businesses, with no actual responsibilities, and who only had very limited exposure to the real international business world, I could understand her current language shortcomings.

As usual a post full of non sequiturs. Anterian made a perfectly valid point about loss of language skills over time and you dragged in Yingluck's attendance at a US university. I know nothing of Anterian's history but, if he is from Europe, he would have spent at least a year at a French university to obtain his degree.

She was a business executive in charge of a company with 20 million customers? How many of those customers were English speakers? And why, do you think that she would encounter English on at least an occasional basis?

Just the usual diatribe I have come to expect - full of puff and no substance. You would do well as a Nation opinion writer?

You take things entirely too personal. Or at least it comes across that way in your inflammatory replies.

I asked the question of anterian to see if his circumstances mirrored Yinglucks. He never answered it, but apparently he didn't obtain a Master degree program using French at a French university so their situations were different.

Yingluck claimed in an interview (the ABC News one linked earlier) to lead a business with 20 million customers. That's her claim. I'm unaware of how many English speakers were customers of her family's AIS corporation (I'm assuming that's the one she's referring to). As the supposed boss of the nation's largest telecom business, I would think she encounters English at least occasionally in the course of her multitude of corporate headquarter duties.

Well I have been told that English is the language of business.

Now I can not say if that is true or not.

But I do recall when she was running for the PM job she resigned her job to run for PM they did not replace her.

Could you give us an example of one of the occasions where he was unable to answer a question and you knew this was because his team had not prepped him?

Yes, one example:

In the infamous press conference after the 2010 crackdown he was asked why the prachatai website was still blocked, and he answered that he thought it was open already, looked around quite astonished to Panitan, the acting government spokesman, and to Kasit, the Foreign Minister. One of them, i think it was Panitan, answered instead.

Thank you, but he seems he answered that question. Anyway, if his answer to the question was incorrect, how is it that you know his incorrect answer was due to his team not prepping him or is that just a conjectural assessment?

I presume it was incorrect then at the time as I note that months and months into Yingluck's government, it remains blocked.

Interesting question. I wanted to check Prachatai, but the government has it blocked cowboy.gif

Yes, one example:

Thank you, but he seems he answered that question. Anyway, if his answer to the question was incorrect, how is it that you know his incorrect answer was due to his team not prepping him or is that just a conjectural assessment?

I presume it was incorrect then at the time as I note that months and months into Yingluck's government, it remains blocked.

Interesting question. I wanted to check Prachatai, but the government has it blocked cowboy.gif

It was quite clear to see by his astonished reaction that he was neither prepped nor did he have the right answer.

And yes, prachatai.com is still blocked, while prachatai3.info isn't, as you can see here:

http://www.prachatai3.info/english/'>http://www.prachatai3.info/english/

http://www.prachatai3.info/

The fact that you "would think" has no validity, you are making a statement that you cannot support; my problem is with the fact that so many posters on here make unsubstantiated and indeed unsubstainable allegations about those people who are not of their political preference. I have no political affiliation for any party in Thailand because I think of it as an emerging democracy which still has a long way to go. But I still believe that universal suffrage will in time produce a solution that is appropriate for Thailand, if not for TV's fascists who do not believe that the less-educated should have a vote because it might have been bought. Would they vote for another party if the reward was higher, or if there was no financial incentive at all? I do not think so.

Thaksin may be a tainted individual but he has been unwittingly,the inspiration for a raising of political awareness amongst Thailand's underprivileged; that I think will be a major factor in the direction of the country that I am committed to. How that will evolve with the current crop of political godfathers is anyone's guess.

Apologies if I sound a bit like Calgaryll

• Like 1

I have the answer to her problems! This from Prachatai in a discussion about Thais' English skills (or lack thereof):

"many Thai university students can be easily put to shame by the English ability of some bar girls and taxi drivers"

It's very true. In my wife's village at Christmas/New Year the best English speakers were invariably girls on holiday from "working" in Pattaya/Phuket etc.

Off to Pattaya you go Yingluck, you'll be fluent in no time flat.

Edit: FYI prachatai is not blocked from outside Thailand apparently.

Edited by sfbandung

I have the answer to her problems! This from Prachatai in a discussion about Thais' English skills (or lack thereof):

"many Thai university students can be easily put to shame by the English ability of some bar girls and taxi drivers"

It's very true. In my wife's village at Christmas/New Year the best English speakers were invariably girls on holiday from "working" in Pattaya/Phuket etc.

I really doubt if those “girls” get vacation in the 2 or 3 week peak season.

I really doubt if those “girls” get vacation in the 2 or 3 week peak season.

They were there. There was a wedding just after New Year. And at several other times I've been there the same has been true.

I was wondering if her alma mater made mention of her in their notable alumni or contributor section or somewhere. Rather surprisingly, they make no mention of the Prime Minister at all.

noresults.png

Why do you not just ask the Alumni Association: [email protected] ?

Bob’s your uncle.

Don't be silly, they might say something positive

She seems to speak pretty gooder 2 me. Of kourse, I only have tree collage degreez. An Associates Degree in Restaurant Management...A Bachelors Degree In Hotel Administration from the University Of Nevada-Las Vegas and a Masters Degree in Public Administration from the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. Now...if I can understand the PM, I think all of you jukies (American euphemism for a rural hick) should be able to understand her. I'm not a supported of the PM nor a dissident of hers. But she sure is pretty. I also think folks from Ireland and Scotland really don't speak English. I don't know what language it is. Maybe some of you Irish or Scots could enlighten me!!! The PM speaks better than you folks in Ireland and Scotland!!! Oh yes, and forget about what language it is in Wales. OMG. Wales is another thing. Lets start a thread about how the folks in the UK speak English. That will take the better part of three years before that thread ends. Just an opinion from Las Vegas, Nevada.

She seems to speak pretty gooder 2 me. Of kourse, I only have tree collage degreez. An Associates Degree in Restaurant Management...A Bachelors Degree In Hotel Administration from the University Of Nevada-Las Vegas and a Masters Degree in Public Administration from the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. Now...if I can understand the PM, I think all of you jukies (American euphemism for a rural hick) should be able to understand her. I'm not a supported of the PM nor a dissident of hers. But she sure is pretty. I also think folks from Ireland and Scotland really don't speak English. I don't know what language it is. Maybe some of you Irish or Scots could enlighten me!!! The PM speaks better than you folks in Ireland and Scotland!!! Oh yes, and forget about what language it is in Wales. OMG. Wales is another thing. Lets start a thread about how the folks in the UK speak English. That will take the better part of three years before that thread ends. Just an opinion from Las Vegas, Nevada.

wonderful new contributor

welcomeani.gifsignthaivisa.gif

A post and an associated reply have been removed from view due to violation of a forum rule:

Per forum rules:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

• Like 1

Yes, one example:

That's hardly comparable to deflecting questions on government policy.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I don't think it negates any comparison, I was simply saying that unless frequently used any foreign language skills deteriorate. How those skill were obtained is totally irrelevant to this statement.

As to her Masters, As I said it was in analytical skills, analysts are rarely public speakers, they are most likely making specialised presentations to board meeting using charts, flow diagrams etc. Furthermore with a Thai board membership she would use the Thai language.

In summary I feel you are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, to support your political bias.

• Like 2

Just for the record I did not reply immediately as I could not connect to TV most of yesterday and the day before, others had the same problem. Today I can connect but the TV server is running very slow.

I don't think it negates any comparison, I was simply saying that unless frequently used any foreign language skills deteriorate. How those skill were obtained is totally irrelevant to this statement.

As to her Masters, As I said it was in analytical skills, analysts are rarely public speakers, they are most likely making specialised presentations to board meeting using charts, flow diagrams etc. Furthermore with a Thai board membership she would use the Thai language.

In summary I feel you are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, to support your political bias.

REMOVED

All the sinothais I have met working in family businesses have spoken very good english, far better than Yinglucks, I guess they paid attention during their overseas education. But these are Bangkok sinothais not the Chang Mai type. Furthermore, all family member have a position in that company if they want. Even the intellectually challenged brother gets a corner office to draw with crayons. In conclusion Yingluck has no corporate abilities, no leadership skills and no independant thought, she is a the hand puppet of a brother whos own moral compass has made him a convicted criminal and fugitive from justice. Luckily they have a team of serious foriegn supporters around them to stage manage their personal and professional lives.

This might give you a clue... http://www.foreignpo...or-money-power/

Edited by Rimmer

REMOVED

All the sinothais I have met working in family businesses have spoken very good english, far better than Yinglucks, I guess they paid attention during their overseas education. But these are Bangkok sinothais not the Chang Mai type. Furthermore, all family member have a position in that company if they want. Even the intellectually challenged brother gets a corner office to draw with crayons. In conclusion Yingluck has no corporate abilities, no leadership skills and no independant thought, she is a the hand puppet of a brother whos own moral compass has made him a convicted criminal and fugitive from justice. Luckily they have a team of serious foriegn supporters around them to stage manage their personal and professional lives.

Thanks for the link, I've seen that before. Bolton makes no sense what so ever.

A post has been removed because the quoted text has been altered:

Please see the following rule:

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

REMOVED

"All the sinothais I have met working in family businesses have spoken very good english" Then all I can say is you are either very lucky or have been here so long you understand Thailish. Now if we were in Hong Kong or Sing or Malaysia I would agree with you, but not in Thailand. Even Abhisit in spite of his childhood has a distinct Thai accent.

[

"All the sinothais I have met working in family businesses have spoken very good english" Then all I can say is you are either very lucky or have been here so long you understand Thailish. Now if we were in Hong Kong or Sing or Malaysia I would agree with you, but not in Thailand. Even Abhisit in spite of his childhood has a distinct Thai accent.

If I may add the same holds true for bigwigs at the MOH. Some of these people received advanced education in the UK, Australia and USA and yet, their English accents are very strong. They stll manage to deliver healthcare services to Thailand in some difficult circumstances.

In respect to MP Abhisit, listen to him when he is under pressure, his Thai accent gets stronger as he is under stress. The classic interview was the BBC one where he went from his Eton tonality to midlevel manager fluster in minutes as the questions became more pointed. Mind you, Abhisit's English skills are still superior to my Thai LOL.

"Yingluck survived the grilling in English with some witty remarks, coy demeanour and pleasant smiles, however"

Many things are best understood when looked at 'comparatively'. Comparing National disaster management effectiveness and leader language proficiencies, put everything in perspective.

Edited by CalgaryII

[

If I may add the same holds true for bigwigs at the MOH. Some of these people received advanced education in the UK, Australia and USA and yet, their English accents are very strong. They stll manage to deliver healthcare services to Thailand in some difficult circumstances.

In respect to MP Abhisit, listen to him when he is under pressure, his Thai accent gets stronger as he is under stress. The classic interview was the BBC one where he went from his Eton tonality to midlevel manager fluster in minutes as the questions became more pointed. Mind you, Abhisit's English skills are still superior to my Thai LOL.

I think the British are more aware and sensitive to accents than other native English speakers, it is one of the indicators we use of social class and status.

I grew up as a wartime Cockney but had the good fortune to go to a Public school, so I ended up with two accents which I can swap between. Nowadays I normally speak unaccented English but under stress I become more Public School, perhaps a subconscious defense mechanism.

A post has been removed because of personal details Please see the following rule:

19) Not to post other members' personal details, photos or web site details. Doing so will result in an instant ban.

• Like 1

wonderful new contributor

welcomeani.gifsignthaivisa.gif

And he has got THREE American degrees!