Yingluck Gets By With A Little Help

Lite Beer

I could have done but it wouldn't have made any sense.You seem not to have understood (or pretended not to understand) there is no line to draw as was rather patiently explained in my last post.Anyway to humour you the practical impact of a political party which had polled low numbers - say 10% - heading a government would be that its tenure would be fragile.When this happens it usually means a new election has to be called in a reasonable space of time.But the fundamental point is that all democracies have clear rules for elections/formation of governments.A government which emerges, after following these rules )ie not a junta or other illegal entity, is described as having a mandate.

But, in Thailand, a party could get a strong majority of seats with as little as 20% of the vote. Would you consider that a "mandate"?

Yes

Edited by jayboy

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then Abhisit also had a 'mandate' and anybody has a 'mandate' no matter if they only received a paltry percent of the vote from the people. Not exactly something to brag about or be proud of. Even trying to use the term 'landslide' is laughable when a minority of people voted for you and your party.

I could have done but it wouldn't have made any sense.You seem not to have understood (or pretended not to understand) there is no line to draw as was rather patiently explained in my last post.Anyway to humour you the practical impact of a political party which had polled low numbers - say 10% - heading a government would be that its tenure would be fragile.When this happens it usually means a new election has to be called in a reasonable space of time.But the fundamental point is that all democracies have clear rules for elections/formation of governments.A government which emerges, after following these rules )ie not a junta or other illegal entity, is described as having a mandate.

But, in Thailand, a party could get a strong majority of seats with as little as 20% of the vote. Would you consider that a "mandate"?

Yes

And as easily call it "Gerrymandering" a control of the legislature.

Yes

And as easily call it "Gerrymandering" a control of the legislature.

And to be clear do you believe the current government has a mandate?

And given the number of members either facing serious charges, or using their position to avoid them, is using the term "criminal conspiracy".

Tiansford said, "The election was declared a landslide by every analyst & paper I saw a report from with the natural exception of TANN and The Nation. Then the PTP - with 53 % of the seats already - formed a government with coalition partners. Those are the numbers and the events."

OZ you lost the argument. Get over it. Name calling does not help.

Firstly I wasn't involved in an argument, with you or anybody else

Secondly i was making an accurate statement about a government which AKAIK containsan unprecedented number of members facing and/or avoiding criminal charges, up to and including a PM who perjures herself and avoids the charge because a police officer changes the definition of perjury.

Thirdly no names were mentioned or alluded to

Fourthly as i have indicated before I have interest in wasting my time arguing with someone who slips off at a tangent whenever something inconvenient is presented, and then declares a line of discussion off topic despite that subject being self-raised.

I always thought that the OZ reference was to Australia not OZ like in the Wizard of OZ. So you think there is even a remote chance that the government will arrest itself and the PM? You said and I quote, "Fourthly as i have indicated before I have interest in wasting my time arguing with someone who slips off at a tangent whenever something inconvenient is presented" I guess that's me. I am glad to know you have interest in wasting your time with me. Warm fuzzy feeling. Since I don't see this government arresting itself. And I don't think we live in OZ. All you are doing is name calling. How long have you been carping about the same old stuff?

Thank you for proving my point.clap2.gif

• Like 2

And given the number of members either facing serious charges, or using their position to avoid them, is using the term "criminal conspiracy".

Tiansford said, "The election was declared a landslide by every analyst & paper I saw a report from with the natural exception of TANN and The Nation. Then the PTP - with 53 % of the seats already - formed a government with coalition partners. Those are the numbers and the events."

I always thought that the OZ reference was to Australia not OZ like in the Wizard of OZ. So you think there is even a remote chance that the government will arrest itself and the PM? You said and I quote, "Fourthly as i have indicated before I have interest in wasting my time arguing with someone who slips off at a tangent whenever something inconvenient is presented" I guess that's me. I am glad to know you have interest in wasting your time with me. Warm fuzzy feeling. Since I don't see this government arresting itself. And I don't think we live in OZ. All you are doing is name calling. How long have you been carping about the same old stuff?

Your point being the only one who agrees with you is the Wizard of OZ?

land·slide/ˈlan(d)ˌslīd/

Noun:

The sliding down of a mass of earth or rock from a mountain or cliff.

An overwhelming majority of votes for one party in an election: "winning the election by a landslide".

I wonder if they would say 'mandate' and 'landslide' had it been Abhisit instead with that minority of the votes?

It's ridiculous, like a pack of rabid dogs trying to bring Yingluck down.

The consequences of Yingluck losing power, such as she has, could be disastrous. Get off her case about stupid things like English fluency.

There are far more important things at stake here.

True. But it would be good if the the things at stake WERE being sorted!!!

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Ok, she's an attractive woman and speaks ok English. That's the dessert, where's the main course?

That she inherited a country in the midst of a world economic crisis, on the verge of war with Cambodia and at the time of the worst flooding experienced in Thailand in more than a century. Seems that she has held up rather well as the war was prevented, the nation cared for during the floods, and she has managed to deliver benefits to the poor in a world where other countries are reducing benefits.

At the tail end of economic crisis. A war started for the sole benefit of making the Dem's look bad. And flooding caused by mismanagement of the dams (although to be fair that was Barnharn's fault)

And benefits have actually been reduced ie free school uniforms etc. OK minimum wage up in 7 provinces BUT goods prices up in 77. Looking after the poor .... right!

Ok, she's an attractive woman and speaks ok English. That's the dessert, where's the main course?

That she inherited a country in the midst of a world economic crisis, on the verge of war with Cambodia and at the time of the worst flooding experienced in Thailand in more than a century. Seems that she has held up rather well as the war was prevented, the nation cared for during the floods, and she has managed to deliver benefits to the poor in a world where other countries are reducing benefits.

At the tail end of economic crisis. A war started for the sole benefit of making the Dem's look bad. And flooding caused by mismanagement of the dams (although to be fair that was Barnharn's fault)

And benefits have actually been reduced ie free school uniforms etc. OK minimum wage up in 7 provinces BUT goods prices up in 77. Looking after the poor .... right!

And lose your job.

And lose your job.

http://www.thaivisa....-wage-increase/

Don't know what country you live in but there is no unemployment in Thailand.

Your point being the only one who agrees with you is the Wizard of OZ?

Cutting out one of my replies to a conversation is impolite at best, probably self-serving and futile as I now include it.

"Firstly I wasn't involved in an argument, with you or anybody else

Secondly i was making an accurate statement about a government which AKAIK containsan unprecedented number of members facing and/or avoiding criminal charges, up to and including a PM who perjures herself and avoids the charge because a police officer changes the definition of perjury.

Thirdly no names were mentioned or alluded to

Fourthly as i have indicated before I have interest in wasting my time arguing with someone who slips off at a tangent whenever something inconvenient is presented, and then declares a line of discussion off topic despite that subject being self-raised."

Don't know what universe you're living in, but in this universe there is unemployment in Thailand.

I get 10 job offers a week. There are help wanted posters everywhere. There are thousands of Burmese working in Thailand because the Thais don't want the jobs. The Aussies are trying to hire Thai construction workers. Your statement is not supported by the facts.

Don't know what universe you're living in, but in this universe there is unemployment in Thailand.

I get 10 job offers a week. There are help wanted posters everywhere. There are thousands of Burmese working in Thailand because the Thais don't want the jobs. The Aussies are trying to hire Thai construction workers. Your statement is not supported by the facts.

So there mustn't be any unemployment in Australia if they're trying to hire Thai construction workers.

So there mustn't be any unemployment in Australia if they're trying to hire Thai construction workers.

BANGKOK, 3 May 2012 (NNT) - Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Labor Mrs. Songsri Boonba has revealed Australia is seeking skilled labor from Thailand to work in that country’s construction industry under a government-to-government contract.

Over 20,000 workers have been requested by Australia,

Now apologize like the gentleman Aussie we all know you aspire to be.

BANGKOK, 3 May 2012 (NNT) - Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Labor Mrs. Songsri Boonba has revealed Australia is seeking skilled labor from Thailand to work in that country’s construction industry under a government-to-government contract.

Over 20,000 workers have been requested by Australia,

Now apologize like the gentleman Aussie we all know you aspire to be.

I didn't say that they weren't trying to hire Thais.

You're using Burmese as a reason for their being no unemployment in Thailand. Based on that, and Australia wanting to hire Thais, that there mustn't be unemployment in Australia either.

Anyone who wants a job in Thailand can find one. There are many jobs for Thai workers inside and outside of Thailand as evidenced by the Australian offer to hire 20,000 Thais. Your claim that there is unemployment is false.

Anyone who wants a job in Thailand can find one. There are many jobs for Thai workers inside and outside of Thailand as evidenced by the Australian offer to hire 20,000 Thais. Your claim that there is unemployment is false.

That could be said about a number of countries WITH unemployment.

In Thailand, there ARE people that are unemployed.

The unemployment rate in Thailand is less than 1%. Why are you trying to make a case for unemployment being a problem in Thailand. Under 1% is not a problem. Wake up. Look at the information. And admit that unemployment is not a problem in Thailand. Hanging on to 1% makes you look foolish.

The unemployment rate in Thailand is less than 1%. Why are you trying to make a case for unemployment being a problem in Thailand. Under 1% is not a problem. Wake up. Look at the information. And admit that unemployment is not a problem in Thailand. Hanging on to 1% makes you look foolish.

Thank you. There is unemployment in Thailand.

Thank you. There is unemployment in Thailand.

99% of the people in Thailand are employed. Anyone who wants a job in Thailand has one. What pray tell is your point? Are you really calling me a liar for 1%? That is bizarre and it makes it impossible to debate with a person who has lost sight of reality, meaning and relevance. Sorry "Why bother", you won't bait me any more. I realized the meaning of your nickname. Whybother respoding. OK I get it.

• Like 1

99% of the people in Thailand are employed. Anyone who wants a job in Thailand has one. What pray tell is your point? Are you really calling me a liar for 1%? That is bizarre and it makes it impossible to debate with a person who has lost sight of reality, meaning and relevance. Sorry "Why bother", you won't bait me any more. I realized the meaning of your nickname. Whybother respoding. OK I get it.

You said there was NO unemployment. Now you're saying there IS unemployment.

No one called you a liar, but you were incorrect, which I pointed out.

KerryK

With some of your replies I often wonder what planet you live on or what bridge you live under. To state that 99% of Thais are employed is nonsensical and spurious to say the least. As you so often ask others. Where is YOUR proof of this statement?

Edited by thaicbr

Well I can follow what you say about learning enough to be proficient in their field. But wasn't her field one that would include public speaking. If you want to believe some of the posters here she would have to speak perfect English because that is the language of business.

In the US, she studied for a Masters of Public Administration (MPA) with a specialty in Management Information Systems (MIS) at Kentucky State University. Based on the course information on their website, public speaking would not appear to have been part of her studies.

The relevant course description is as follows:

The Master of Public Administration program is designed to serve both in service students (those with work experience) and pre service students (those without work experience), and focuses on problem-solving methods. The academic component is supported by a variety of applied research activities. Each of the research activities is designed to provide the student with research skills, as well as a body of knowledge and information needed by practicing public administrators.

A professional core of knowledge is expected of each Master of Public Administration candidate. It includes perspectives on public administration, quantitative methods, research methods and policy analysis, public sector economics, organization theory, computer applications, public personnel management, public sector economics, and budgeting in government agencies.

Speciatly Areas: Management Information Systems

This specialty area is designed for students interested in jobs in the Management Information Systems (MIS) field. It emphasizes systems analysis and design, and utilization of current applications software. The following courses are offered:

Required Course:

PUA 682 Seminar on Management Information Systems

Optional Courses (choice of two of the following):

PUA 680 Management Information Systems Administration

PUA 681 Applied Advanced Statistical Methods

PUA 683 Decision Support Systems

I see no requirement for public speaking in any of that.

KerryK

With some of your replies I often wonder what planet you live on or what bridge you live under. To state that 99% of Thais are employed is nonsensical and spurious to say the least. As you so often ask others. Where is YOUR proof of this statement?

I lied. Actually 99.6 % employed. Me nonsensical and spurious? Where is your apology?

post-20120-0-55445000-1337335464_thumb.j

Edited by kerryk

Three I assume intelligent posters above are debating the Thai rate of unemployment. It has been low for years. Now even lower. Why would you not know? 1,2,3 % who cares it is low. What did you think the unemployment rate in Thailand was high? 10 or 20 percent? Gee. Are you all that economically challenged?

Edited by kerryk
  • Like 1

I lied. Actually 99.6 % employed. Me nonsensical and spurious? Where is your apology?

From Thailand Unemployment Rate:

The labour force is defined as the number of people employed plus the number unemployed but seeking work. The nonlabour force includes those who are not looking for work, those who are institutionalised and those serving in the military.

So your statement

99% of the people in Thailand are employed.

is technically incorrect because not everyone in Thailand is part of the labour force.

There are plenty of Thai people who are not looking for work because they don't want to work.