Family Of Man In Skytrain Scuffle Threatened

Lite Beer

I think to be fair you need to consider that this is one man trying his best to offer an independent news source , not an omnipotent being able to simultaneously monitor content on his website and this one!

The post in question has only recently been made, and the poster has confused the issue by giving his name as "reporter" so when the comment is referenced, it appears to be questioning something AD wrote, which is incorrect...

You have a point; fair enough. I suppose my issue is this: I am one of those "on the fence" until the CCTV video is made public, but I can recognize that Mr. Behan's life has probably been made very miserable by this; he's apparently received death threats, his job may be jeopardized, he risks being forced to leave the country, and his family may even be split up. I cannot blame the reporter for reporting and doing his job...but for one man to face this much hostility for losing his temper--which I have done myself--I find disturbing. I want to blame the reporter...but I know I cannot justify this.

Totally agree; damning the actions of any involved without a full release of the evidence at hand, namely the BTS CCTV footage, is pointless.

I'm sure with hindsight, Mr Behan would have preferred that this incident was not aired by the media, but unfortunately it has been and has left him open to the wild speculation we've seen on this and other websites.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a poll would be better. This topic has been covered from every different angle me thinks.

1. He's wrong (the farang)

2. He's right (the farang)

3. Sitting on the fence waiting for the CCTV.

How about he is absolutely wrong and behaved in an inexcusable manner but that doesn't excuse any wrong doing that may (likely?) have been committed by station staff, on video we haven't seen yet.

I take it you're not sitting on the fence then? You are hypocritical in the extreme, composing the most biased posts I have read while then attacking others for writing biased articles.

"he is absolutely wrong and behaved in an inexcusable manner" In your own words that's a fair description of your conduct on this and the related threads.

Yea, I am real biased all right ... including being "most biased posts" you have seen.

At last, I find myself in full agreement with you. Thankyou Nisa.

It's all too serious. My Thai girlfriend and her young and old Thai women freinds all laugh like hell when she calls me monkey. Or toot ling dumb. Someone needs to mediate officially and give the Thai back his job and the irishman back his life.

• Like 1

It's all too serious. My Thai girlfriend and her young and old Thai women freinds all laugh like hell when she calls me monkey. Or toot ling dumb. Someone needs to mediate officially and give the Thai back his job and the irishman back his life.

When folks stop pushing this to be a racial thing because of Thai Pack Mentality (or whatever) or Farang Superiority (or whatever) complexes then this actually might happen .. if both sides can make apologies and admit their actions should have been handled much differently and if all made amends to this this poor little girl who witnessed it all ... the only victim in all this that truly seems to be innocent without much of any doubt.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

As I understand it, the man had already been on the system, in trains with the balloons. So, he goes past lets say a dozen security guards who don't say boo, then the next one says "cannot" - or even worse, "you can only take some".

What may have happened with other guards at other times and places is pretty irrelevant. The BTS has its policy against the balloons, whether you or anyone else likes it or not, and this guard was enforcing that policy. As an analogy, the fact you might get away with speeding in your car every day for a week before some policeman finally pulls you over for speeding doesn't give you any excuse or legal defense.

I really don't think there is anyone, Thai or farang, who would not in that situation respond immediately and automatically with a "<deleted>?" (or your nearest language equivalent).

If that's all he responded with, verbally giving a <deleted>, then obviously this whole situation wouldn't have occurred as it did. Instead, in the video portion we've seen thus far, he's behaving like a crazed maniac who has to be collared by his farang companion and is still kicking at a female BTS station staff member. He totally lost any self control and composure. And all this over balloons.

If BTS wants its rules enforced, it needs to enforce them uniformly, and at all times. Anything else is not "rules" it just dictatorship at the whim of the least trained employee.

Over and above all else however, is there is NO defense for a violent assault on a member of the public. That is simple brutality, and not "security" or enforcing the 'rules".

Already addressed above. The BTS has its policy and the guard was enforcing that policy. Whether the guard overreacted to whatever original actions the teacher made (prior to the video clip everyone has seen) remains to be seen and judged. There are been accounts suggesting the teacher was pretty combative in the early going, but obviously we haven't seen either what he or the guard did in that earlier period.

You're making a lot of unsupported assumptions in calling the guard's response a violent assault on a member of the public. It could equally well have been self defense on the guard's part or responding to some provocation by the teacher. We know what the teacher did after that, but neither of us know what exactly happened before and leading up to that.

It saddens me to see so many farangs who think the only way to survive in Thailand is to be totally craven in all their interactions with Thais.

The correct and appropriate response the teacher should have made in the original encounter with the guard would have been to lodge a complaint with BTS and/or with Thai police. And if he was turned away from the BTS by the guard, instead of trying to press the issue further, to simply take some other form of transport that day... Or leave the balloons behind and make a normal trip with his daughter.

He had so many other alternatives available to him. But it pretty clearly seems he chose the worst and wrong responses on several levels.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

Everyone has to take their lumps in the financial market place, as well as the other thumbs and bumps on the ole noggin. Based on the video I looked at, it kind of looked like that teacher was a bit out of control. Its always the first one who looses their temper loses!

When folks stop pushing this to be a racial thing because of Thai Pack Mentality (or whatever) or Farang Superiority (or whatever) complexes then this actually might happen .. if both sides can make apologies and admit their actions should have been handled much differently and if all made amends to this this poor little girl who witnessed it all ... the only victim in all this that truly seems to be innocent without much of any doubt.

And unfortunately the internet forum society hold more blame to this incident than the incident itself. And it seems this little girl is more grown up than many posters seem to be. Everything is nothing more than speculation, except for the few people who witnessed this, or have seen the BTS video. I have not seen a single post on any forum from any actual witness that feel that the Irish guy was in the wrong. I tend to believe actual witnesses over speculators, who seem intent on using this incident to fulfil their agendas whatever they are. This guy seems to be stuck in the middle of a race hatred/intolerence war over a small misunderstanding that happens all over the world every day. I for one feel sorry for him whether he is in the right or wrong.

• Like 1

I have not seen a single post on any forum from any actual witness that feel that the Irish guy was in the wrong.

Perhaps that's because there were a limited number of witnesses to what occurred that day.

And more to the point, the BTS staff and contract guards who were there that day pretty likely are not sharing their opinions on public and English language web forums, nor would the BTS want them to be doing so, I'd expect.

I have not seen a single post on any forum from any actual witness that feel that the Irish guy was in the wrong.

Perhaps that's because there were a limited number of witnesses to what occurred that day.

And more to the point, the BTS staff and contract guards who were there that day pretty likely are not sharing their opinions on public and English language web forums, nor would the BTS want them to be doing so, I'd expect.

I guess the guy admitting himself he did wrong (but glossing over this point at the same time) doesn't count as having as much credibility as an anonymous web posting wink.png

And unfortunately the internet forum society hold more blame to this incident than the incident itself. And it seems this little girl is more grown up than many posters seem to be. Everything is nothing more than speculation, except for the few people who witnessed this, or have seen the BTS video. I have not seen a single post on any forum from any actual witness that feel that the Irish guy was in the wrong. I tend to believe actual witnesses over speculators, who seem intent on using this incident to fulfil their agendas whatever they are. This guy seems to be stuck in the middle of a race hatred/intolerence war over a small misunderstanding that happens all over the world every day. I for one feel sorry for him whether he is in the right or wrong.

Nisa, liking this post doesn't excuse your actions prior to it. Do you understand the content of Nacho's post?

"I have not seen a single post on any forum from any actual witness that feel that the Irish guy was in the wrong. I tend to believe actual witnesses over speculators, who seem intent on using this incident to fulfil their agendas whatever they are."

Minutes ago you wrote - "he is absolutely wrong and behaved in an inexcusable manner" You are the epitome of a speculator using this incident to fulfill your own agenda. You have cast assertions on the behavior of Mr Behan since the topic started, questioned anyone attempting to give an unbiased opinion on the subject and generally made it into yet another Thai vs Ferang, Thai is right, Ferang is wrong debate, facts be damned.

You have continually made it clear your views and I find it sickening to watch you twisting every post to meet your own agenda. Should anything come of the threats made to Mr Behan's family I hope you feel the significant weight of guilt on your shoulders for mercilessly pushing your agenda on this thread for days on end. Please, for goodness sake, give it a rest.

True but like I said the few posts I have read from any witnesses seem to be on the Irish guys side. In any case his life has been turned upside down over a minor altercation. As for the security guards, they might be in the middle of this but the focus doesn't seem to be on them. The security guards: A lost job, not really too big of a deal. There are plenty other jobs out there with possibly better pay. The Irish guy: Possibility of a lost job, not too big of a deal. Threats to the safety of his family, a big deal. He seems to have gotten the Sh**y end of the stick.

• Like 1

Nisa, liking this post doesn't excuse your actions prior to it. Do you understand the content of Nacho's post?

"I have not seen a single post on any forum from any actual witness that feel that the Irish guy was in the wrong. I tend to believe actual witnesses over speculators, who seem intent on using this incident to fulfil their agendas whatever they are."

Minutes ago you wrote - "he is absolutely wrong and behaved in an inexcusable manner" You are the epitome of a speculator using this incident to fulfill your own agenda. You have cast assertions on the behavior of Mr Behan since the topic started, questioned anyone attempting to give an unbiased opinion on the subject and generally made it into yet another Thai vs Ferang, Thai is right, Ferang is wrong debate, facts be damned.

You have continually made it clear your views and I find it sickening to watch you twisting every post to meet your own agenda. Should anything come of the threats made to Mr Behan's family I hope you feel the significant weight of guilt on your shoulders for mercilessly pushing your agenda on this thread for days on end. Please, for goodness sake, give it a rest.

In the whole story i tend to think that wrong lies on both sides.

That said, i think most of the people on this board ,being in the same situation, would have taken the child and the balloons, turned their heels and hired a taxi to go home,at the cost of 200 Baht if not less.

That said, i mostly agree with Nisa's posts except for the huge quantity of them.:)

Moreover, the posters who mock the BTS guards, or the Thais in general, are IMHO more dangerous for Mr. Behan , we are in Thailand after all.

• Like 2

That said, i think most of the people on this board ,being in the same situation, would have taken the child and the balloons, turned their heels and hired a taxi to go home,at the cost of 200 Baht if not less.

That said, i mostly agree with Nisa's posts except for the huge quantity of them.smile.png

Moreover, the posters who mock the BTS guards, or the Thais in general, are IMHO more dangerous for Mr. Behan , we are in Thailand after all.

Finally some criticism I can accept as being reasonable and accurate. clap2.gif

no security guard has the right to club the guy on the head....

no passenger has the right to disobey rules and barge his way through a security check point. The 'clubbing' on the head was a result of his own belligerence in my eyes.

This would never happen to me or anyone else who observes life's rules and regulations, regardless of where they might be in the world.

I really don't think there is anyone, Thai or farang, who would not in that situation respond immediately and automatically with a "<deleted>?" (or your nearest language equivalent).

If that's all he responded with, verbally giving a <deleted>, then obviously this whole situation wouldn't have occurred as it did. Instead, in the video portion we've seen thus far, he's behaving like a crazed maniac who has to be collared by his farang companion and is still kicking at a female BTS station staff member. He totally lost any self control and composure. And all this over balloons.

It is somewhat amusing that you, and others, consistently gloss over the fact that the portion of the incident shown on the clip is AFTER he was beaten around the head.

The attitude of some on this board, that the guy in some way "deserved it" is frankly quite sickening.

Thai job seekers should have TOEIC of 800 & IQ if 180, if they want to apply for a job at BTS.

Problem solved.

I don't think they guards work for BTS but rather a company they contract with but I could be wrong. However, there is a very good article about "Driving a BTS" in yesterday's Bangkok Post. Nothing to do with fighting and what not but kind of insightful on a number of levels about the BTS, Thai Society and qualifications for the job.

It is somewhat amusing that you, and others, consistently gloss over the fact that the portion of the incident shown on the clip is AFTER he was beaten around the head.

I've never glossed over that fact (that he was hit in the head prior to the start of the public video) and in fact have specifically noted that any number of times in my posts here.

But the main point in that regard is, and neither you nor I know this, what exactly happened with the exchange between the guy and the guard that resulted in the guy getting hit in the head.

I've never said the guard is blameless... He may have overreacted or he may not have, depending on what transpired before...

But we certainly know and can see what the teacher guy did afterward. And that behavior is what I've addressed my comments to.

That said, i mostly agree with Nisa's posts except for the huge quantity of them.smile.png

Finally some criticism I can accept as being reasonable and accurate. clap2.gif

I agree with this too.. wrongs on both sides.. and i would have taken a taxi too

I've never glossed over that fact and in fact have specifically noted that any number of times in my posts here.

But the main point is, and neither you nor I know this, what exactly happened with the exchange between the guy and the guard that resulted in the guy getting hit in the head.

I've never said the guard is blameless... He may have overreacted or he may not have, depending on what transpired before...

But we certainly know and can see what the teacher guy did afterward. And that behavior is what I've addressed my comments to.

So you've addressed your comments to the actions of someone reacting to something that you have no knowledge of?

Read back your posts with that in mind John and ask yourself how you can be so damning of his actions when you don't know what has caused them. The fact is you do have knowledge of what happened, it was in the original thread's title, you chose to ignore this because you had no video evidence.

the effort you two are putting into criminalizing Behan and stirring up emotion on this thread is truly inspiring.

It's a great shame you couldn't find a worthy cause to vent on and so picked on this poor guy, it wasn't enough he'd been brained by a guard & beaten up, let's launch a hate campaign and totally ruin his life...? Why?

I'm not going to requote your entire ridiculous post, but I've done nothing of the kind regarding Mr. Behan, other than to say he clearly acted like a jerk in public based on the public video that we've all seen.

What exactly led to his tirade none of us know... But even if he was entirely without blame, which he himself has admitted was not the case, then the proper response would have been to call the police... not to start (and/or continue) a brawl.

It's pretty clear he himself recognizes in hindsight he handled the situation the wrong way. But some posters here seem unwilling to recognize that, even though he already has.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, its extremely unlikely to be a TV poster that has sent him a death threat. I could be wrong, but I suspect its a Thai that has read the report in a Thai language newspaper and/or seen the youtube clip.

The person who posted the youtube clip is largely to blame for stirring up hatred - if he had not, this would never have escalated the way it has. It would have been better if he had sent the footage to Behan, who could have taken it up quietly with BTS.

the effort you two are putting into criminalizing Behan and stirring up emotion on this thread is truly inspiring.

It's a great shame you couldn't find a worthy cause to vent on and so picked on this poor guy, it wasn't enough he'd been brained by a guard & beaten up, let's launch a hate campaign and totally ruin his life...? Why?

I'm not going to requote your entire ridiculous post, but I've done nothing of the kind regarding Mr. Behan, other than to say he clearly acted like a jerk in public based on the public video that we've all seen.

What exactly led to his tirade none of us know... But even if he was entirely without blame, which he himself has admitted was not the case, then the proper response would have been to call the police... not to start (and/or continue) a brawl.

It's pretty clear he himself recognizes in hindsight he handled the situation the wrong way. But some posters here seem unwilling to recognize that, even though he already has.

I think everyone knows including Mr. Behan that he made a poor choice. Just like everyone makes poor choices every day of their lives. The problem is, one small poor choice that 99% of people have incomplete knowledge about to judge, has escalated into threats to Mr. Behan and his family. Truly disgusting the world we live in is sometimes.

• Like 1

Since some of you clearly are reading impaired, let me repeat for those who didn't catch it the first time.

I've never expressed one word of antagonism against the guy...here or elsewhere. And I certainly don't feel any. I also think anyone engaging in threats or Thai vs. Farang talk needs to seriously look at themselves.

But I have simply said..the guy, as shown on the video and pretty much regardless of what transpired before, acted like a jerk in public, and probably instigated a confrontation that he easily could have avoided.

If you want to talk about causing harm, look to the guy who caused the confrontation in the first place, those who may have publicized it in a sensationalistic way, and those who have engaged in wild talk, threats and racist and/or nationalistic comments -- none of which has come from me.

Maybe some of you feel the guy getting hit in the head, under what circumstances none of us know for certain, gave him a free ticket to go after anyone and everyone around in a wild tirade. I don't. He should have called the police if he was wronged.

You don't have to like or agree with that opinion. But it's a very simple and clear one. And holding that opinion in no way is demonizing the teacher or wishing him any ill.