Family Of Man In Skytrain Scuffle Threatened

Lite Beer

I hope that they do release that CCTV footage. I find it very difficult to believe that this guy was attacked by security without asking for it in some way.

Good thing the US TSA was not in charge at the BTS. the guy would already be in prison, period. Common sense should have prevailed in everyone's case. It looks llike a case of irish ire.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i read about this I think of what would have happened in Canada, if he didnot comply with a quards request. Here is what I think would have happened especially if he tried to force his way through with the balloons. He would have probably been tasered. Then balloons and him taken to local police station and his wife and child would have had to arrange bail. He would have had to go to court and probably have a criminal record at the end of it all. He and his family should apologize to the quard, the BTS and pay the quard for lost wages , pain and suffering.

A public apology would help alot.

Same Same in the USA except he'd also lose his 2nd Amendment right to own a gun.

If it was the UK the guard would have been sacked and also prosecuted by the police. The foreigner would have been granted UK citizenship and £1m of taxpayers cash by way of compensation. The liberals would be gnashing their teeth and wringing their hands in anguish over the mental trauma they imagine the foreigner would be suffering and the British public would be saying the foreigner got what he deserved.

• Like 1

When i read about this I think of what would have happened in Canada, if he didnot comply with a quards request. Here is what I think would have happened especially if he tried to force his way through with the balloons. He would have probably been tasered. Then balloons and him taken to local police station and his wife and child would have had to arrange bail. He would have had to go to court and probably have a criminal record at the end of it all. He and his family should apologize to the quard, the BTS and pay the quard for lost wages , pain and suffering.

New York and he probably would have been shot...

New York doesn't have security guards they have Transit police who have arresting powers, semantics possibly but still a bit different circumstances.. My impression of the initial video was that there was something behind the incident not being shown and it was not representative of what really happened. Having said that this over some balloons? Really?? Isn't there something a bit more important to loose your temper and getting clubbed over then balloons?? rolleyes.gif

Edited by WarpSpeed

This is a very simple case of an undertrained Thai security guard assaulting a foreigner! What discugsts me the most is that it was over some baloons and he was taking his very younge daughter home from a birthday party. I am a thai lawyer and Thai people do not condone this kind of behaviour despite what some despicable people might have posted on this site. I will be taking a very personal interest in this case and will be happy to take the victim case to court without charge. if the victim is reading you can contact me my office is on Petchaburi Rd betwwen atrium and Thantakit. Shame on any of you who condone such voilence!

If it was the UK the guard would have been sacked and also prosecuted by the police. The foreigner would have been granted UK citizenship and £1m of taxpayers cash by way of compensation. The liberals would be gnashing their teeth and wringing their hands in anguish over the mental trauma they imagine the foreigner would be suffering and the British public would be saying the foreigner got what he deserved.

That's all grand but isn't granting them citizenship cruel and unusual enough punishment in itself? Can't you just get the compensation without the unnecessary harassment of forced citizenship?? hit-the-fan.gif

This is a very simple case of an undertrained Thai security guard assaulting a foreigner! What discugsts me the most is that it was over some baloons and he was taking his very younge daughter home from a birthday party. I am a thai lawyer and Thai people do not condone this kind of behaviour despite what some despicable people might have posted on this site. I will be taking a very personal interest in this case and will be happy to take the victim case to court without charge. if the victim is reading you can contact me my office is on Petchaburi Rd betwwen atrium and Thantakit. Shame on any of you who condone such voilence!

You managed to spell violence the same way as an Irishman would pronounce it. You`ll do just fine as his counsel.wai.gif

I am a foreigner but not a farang......but whenever I am bored, I ove to go to thaivisa and see farangs bash their own fellow farangs! There seem to be no solidarity among them.

As far as I'm concerned, this has nothing to do with whether the teacher was a farang or not, or if it had been a Thai.

Whether the teacher involved was a farang or a Thai, many of us saw the same out-of-control, aggressive, maniac behavior on the video. And I believe many of us would have the same opinion of it no matter who was the person involved.

I saw the aggressive behaviour of a man who had already been clubbed in the face by a supposed safety officer.

I'm sure you are the reincarnation of Mohandas Ghandi though, and would continue to wai and kowtow after being hit in the face with a baton.

Edited by ydraw

Prejudice, racism and xenophobia can probably be found almost everywhere. It is more prevalent in some cultures, subcultures, and other groupings, in some places more than others, and in some individuals more than others, wherever they currently reside.

It doesn't matter who is right or wrong in this whole thing. There are only two points that matter in this case:

1 - If it was a Thai person it wouldn't have been on the news.

2 - The guy shouldn't have received any death threats over something so stupid if at all.

Both points just show how xenophobic Thai people are.

Actually I think your post shows more about your extreme views of Thais than how any assumptions on your part of the news, what matters in this incident and what one caller has done represents Thais as a whole.

Most of it seems to be on this forum. To stigmatize all Irishmen as hotheaded or Thais as xenophobic and uncivilized doesn't strike me as even-handed and rational. One poster suggests that Thais (as a people) store up a mass of resentments against foreigners which all comes out in a murderous rush to the head. Others draw attention to the 'lower class' of the guard. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading Mein Kampf or The Protocols of Zion.

• Like 1

You managed to spell violence the same way as an Irishman would pronounce it. You`ll do just fine as his counsel.wai.gif

so because of my english skills you say I can't represent an individual in Thailand properly is that right? Its because of people like you that foreigner have problem in Thailand! I think you lonely person!

It was a lighthearted joke, but your excitable, over the top reaction to it here would suggest that the Irishman would probably be better represented by someone calmer than yourself. It`s because of angry Thais like you that foreigners have problems in Thailand.

so because of my english skills you say I can't represent an individual in Thailand properly is that right? Its because of people like you that foreigner have problem in Thailand! I think you lonely person!

It was a lighthearted joke, but your excitable, over the top reaction to it here would suggest that the Irishman would probably be better represented by someone calmer than yourself. It`s because of angry Thais like you that foreigners have problems in Thailand.

hehe.. ok, but why would someone make a light hearted joke about a father being beaten up in front of a seven year old daughter, forgive me for not understanding your humour.. did I miss the punchline..? please teach me more about your comedy, it went right past my head last time!

Guard's on trains in the UK don't carry tasers or a big stick, they rely on the "big guy" to throw people off the train!

It doesn't matter who is right or wrong in this whole thing. There are only two points that matter in this case:

2 - The guy shouldn't have received any death threats over something so stupid if at all.

Wasn't it Andrew Drummond who reported it after the family contacted him ? I very much doubt it would have made the Thai news if he hadn't reported it and video posted on you-tube.

The death threat we know as much about as the actual incident before the video started.

Your last sentence. Pot, kettle, etc.

Edited by arthurwait

He and his wife have seen the tapes, they say they want them released, because it will help their side of the story. They wouldn't urge BTS to release the tapes if the Irish guy had swung first.

The guy and his wife are hardly impartial or reliable judges or reporters of what the full tape may or may not show, or what the rest of us would conclude if we were to view it...

And, from my direct experience with BTS (where I've had to go and view their surveillance video myself), in this kind of a police case, the guy and his wife would be entitled to get a copy of the video from BTS.

What the guy and his wife are being reported to have said in the news media and what they're actually doing in dealing with the BTS may or may not be the same thing.

Lastly, who "swung" first to use your phrase is hardly the definitive issue here... The guy could well, after a verbal dispute, have tried to bull his way past the guard, and any number of other scenarios where the guard might have "swung" in self defense. But on that point, it's all speculation, because none of us know for now.

You are uninformed, it turns out, I know from a good source,

that most of what is being reported that the family have been saying is quite right,

and the BTS and Security company it hired are daily changing their story,

trying to save face, and / or hush up a public relations disaster....

and are not being above board with the whole story.

And most clearly under informed posters have been singularly, cruel and biased to the family.

This didn't happen in NYC or London or anywhere else but Bangkok.

There is a reason the CCTV tape is not so far released,

it will likely look VERY bad for BTS's security company a sub-contracter.

Loss of face for a man is bad, but for a company it is just as bad,

and effects the bottom line; we can wonder what actions might

be taken to protect that bottom line. Something the BTS need not worry about.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 2

Wasn't it Andrew Drummond who reported it after the family contacted him ? I very much doubt it would have made the Thai news if he hadn't reported it and video posted on you-tube.

The death threat we know as much about as the actual incident before the video started.

Your last sentence. Pot, kettle, etc.

The death threats are real.

Evenmoney wrote -hehe.. ok, but why would someone make a light hearted joke about a father being beaten up in front of a seven year old daughter, forgive me for not understanding your humour.. did I miss the punchline..? please teach me more about your comedy, it went right past my head last time!

The joke was about the Irish accent and not about the assault, as you well know. You`re not half as smart as you like to think you are. I do believe you think you`ve lost face judging by your petty reply.

Edited by Roj

that most of what is being reported that the family have been saying is quite right,

Good for your good source... But for a lot of us, just seeing the conduct of the guy AFTER he encountered the security guard, regardless of what happened in that encounter that occurred pre the posted video, is enough for many of us to judge the teacher guy was very wrong.

Even if I got knocked in the head totally without provocation by a BTS security guard (which I seriously doubt was the case in this instance), the proper recourse would have been to file a complaint with BTS and/or the Thai police. Not to turn into a raving maniac who has to be collared by his more composed friend while he's trying to kick at the BTS station staff.

And, of course, I believe it's pretty well established that the reason all this occurred in the first place was the teacher guy was turned away by the BTS guard because the teacher was carrying the balloons. The teacher could have chosen to avoid a confrontation and take a taxi or do something else instead. But he clearly chose confrontation instead, even as admitted by his English-language TV news video interview as posted earlier in this thread.

Evenmoney wrote -hehe.. ok, but why would someone make a light hearted joke about a father being beaten up in front of a seven year old daughter, forgive me for not understanding your humour.. did I miss the punchline..? please teach me more about your comedy, it went right past my head last time!

The joke was about the Irish accent and not about the assault, as you well know. You`re not half as smart as you like to think you are. I do believe you think you`ve lost face judging by your petty reply.

Why would you assume that, I have been online since posting that reply waiting for a debate! So you assume that because I took offence to the joke reagrding the victims family I have no sence of humour..? Well I don't care where you come from or what constitutes you as an individual but a reply isn't needed to your arguement. Ive won this round already! better luck next time.

From what I see in the beginning of the video the teacher was denied entrance to the BTS station , but then he forces himself inside with the balloons and the security guards around him warns him he can not do that.

And his friend also try to calm him down but the irishman will not listen to him or the guards.

Thanks to him a guard lost his job , just because of some silly balloons. No sympathy from me.

whats that .... no reply... does logic and analytical thinking astound you... ??? Yes its a rare commidity in Thailand.. and thats a result of our under developed education system .. but dont make the mistake of thinking that all thais are not educated and can't hold a debate on the contrary I have tried to engage you in debate and trounced you and your racist veiws!

Why would you assume that, I have been online since posting that reply waiting for a debate! So you assume that because I took offence to the joke reagrding the victims family I have no sence of humour..? Well I don't care where you come from or what constitutes you as an individual but a reply isn't needed to your arguement. Ive won this round already! better luck next time.

Good for your good source... But for a lot of us, just seeing the conduct of the guy AFTER he encountered the security guard, regardless of what happened in that encounter that occurred pre the posted video, is enough for many of us to judge the teacher guy was very wrong.

Even if I got knocked in the head totally without provocation by a BTS security guard (which I seriously doubt was the case in this instance), the proper recourse would have been to file a complaint with BTS and/or the Thai police. Not to turn into a raving maniac who has to be collared by his more composed friend while he's trying to kick at the BTS station staff.

And, of course, I believe it's pretty well established that the reason all this occurred in the first place was the teacher guy was turned away by the BTS guard because the teacher was carrying the balloons. The teacher could have chosen to avoid a confrontation and take a taxi or do something else instead. But he clearly chose confrontation instead, even as admitted by his English-language TV news video interview as posted earlier in this thread.

Head wounds do not always leave people completely compas mentis.

• Like 1

If you are white and in Thailand, at all times you should walk around nervously in a quivering mess worried about possibly offending a Thai person and if it should ever happen, you should immediately fall to the ground in tears grovelling, begging for forgiveness and apologising for the fact that you are white in this wonderful country. If these steps are followed, you can nervously go about your day knowing that your family will be safe.

Rubbish.

All people need to do is behave themselves and act in a reasonable manner, not go at it like a bull in a china shop.

This guy obviously still has problems with his Western aggression and failed to leave it at home where it belongs.

The Thai people are taught to respect authority, which is sadly lacking in the so-called first world and this sort of behaviour can often be alien to them with unpredictable consequences.

This idiot sowed the wind and shall reap the whirlwind and is now suffering the fallout of his actions.

What Westerners should realise is that the Thais are doing them a favour by letting them stay in Thailand for the long term and we have no statutory rights here. Because of this we should learn to tow the line and not push our luck. Right or wrong, that’s the way it is. This is not about race, but about our status within Thai society. In that respect we should keep our heads down and avoid confrontations whenever possible. Just swallow that old pride, bite the lip and walk away.

There is no reason for this sorts of arrogant and belligerent behaviour in Thailand, it`s just not wanted here.

• Like 1

Why wasn't the caller hunted down and charged by the DSI immediately? This is the way it should be. The worst part of the entire incident is not balloons and security guards/foreign person clashing over communication issues. It's a telephone threat to a family with an or else. This is what Thai law enforcement should be concerned with.

• Like 1

From what I see in the beginning of the video the teacher was denied entrance to the BTS station , but then he forces himself inside with the balloons and the security guards around him warns him he can not do that.

And his friend also try to calm him down but the irishman will not listen to him or the guards.

Thanks to him a guard lost his job , just because of some silly balloons. No sympathy from me.

What kind of guard beats up a father in front of as 6 year old girl!! a guard who should be in prison!!!

When this incident occurred my wife asked me what happened. I laughed and said that a farang got in a fight with a BTS security guard over taking balloons onto the skytrain and got hit in the head with a stick. Then I said, "I am sure if it were you in his shoes you would have end up riding the train with the balloons anyways," which is true as my wife is a very polite person and always seems to have the "rules" in Thailand bent for her. Politeness goes a very far way in Thailand. The rules are often malleable. Never lose your temper.

A whole load of off topic posts, bickering posts and some just totally racist posts have been deleted.

I would highly recommend to everyone that they take a step back, take a deep breath and THINK before posting. Read the forum rules a few times if you are unsure if your post breaks rules. Go have a coffee or a beer, whatever your choice, but the belligerent attitudes, the racist comments will stop.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Suspensions are waiting for those who fail to heed my warning here

• Like 1

Through this whole sad event, I am trying to understand the value Thais place on human life, relative to human dignity.

Having apologized to the beating victim, fired the assaulting guard, sent flowers to the beating victim, refused to disclose the CCTV video that recorded the event, the BTS seems to be admitting to an "oh, sh*t!" event ... that maybe, the assault with potentially deadly force might have been triggered by a verbal confrontation only, as alleged by the beating victim.

Assuming that is the case, a surprising number of Thai readers still believe an assault with potentially deadly force is warranted ... seemingly accepting the risk to this man's life was equivalent to the loss of face in a verbal confrontation.

Now that this has ecalated to the next level ... do the Thais who believe an assault with potentially deadly force was warranted, as above, also believe threats to the beating victim's family is also warranted? Is this consistent with Thai values and views of justice?

How far does this go? Does a loss of face warrant threatening the physical safety of the wife and child, as well? ... tribal justice?!

Edited by swillowbee
  • Like 1