Family Of Man In Skytrain Scuffle Threatened

Lite Beer

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since some of you clearly are reading impaired, let me repeat for those who didn't catch it the first time.

I've never expressed one word of antagonism against the guy...here or elsewhere. And I certainly don't feel any. I also think anyone engaging in threats or Thai vs. Farang talk needs to seriously look at themselves.

But I have simply said..the guy, as shown on the video and pretty much regardless of what transpired before, acted like a jerk in public, and probably instigated a confrontation that he easily could have avoided.

If you want to talk about causing harm, look to the guy who caused the confrontation in the first place, those who may have publicized it in a sensationalistic way, and those who have engaged in wild talk, threats and racist and/or nationalistic comments -- none of which has come from me.

Maybe some of you feel the guy getting hit in the head, under what circumstances none of us know for certain, gave him a free ticket to go after anyone and everyone around in a wild tirade. I don't. He should have called the police if he was wronged.

You don't have to like or agree with that opinion. But it's a very simple and clear one. And holding that opinion in no way is demonizing the teacher or wishing him any ill.

I was not trying to have a go at you. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I was just stating that peoples opinions in general are based on incomplete knowledge and emotion. If the BTS footage is released I would suspect many (not implying you) will not change their opinions whatever the footage shows. People often get an idea in their head and are unwilling to change their minds due to their previous emotions of the issue. They sometimes see what they want to see based on their previous opinion. A very unfortunate thing for Mr. Behan. I myself try not to judge him as I don't know him. He was a man who lost his temper whatever the circumstances leading up to it. No one was really hurt except for him. Now many posters on forums across many websites are labeling with there own agendas in mind, with no knowledge of this man's personality. I really feel sorry for this guy.

Agree with the gist of nisa and tallguy's posts. Irish guys behaviour certainly poor (regardless of what happened previously and he has admitted this.) And security guards behaviour more than likely poor as well (without having seen the full video.)

Quite amazing the amount of posts and drama on this pretty unexciting event (are some of you full time TV posters?)

flyingsporran said, back about page 5,

The CCTV shows the blows being struck - both during the first attack and the second. A lot more powerful than the teacher shadow kicking and being held back by his friend. CCTV footage from another station show JB and daughter happily progressing with their balloons.

Now I'd take that to mean he has seen the CCTV footage, a perfectly reasonable assumption, but he bobs and weaves when asked if he has, in fact, seen the footage, and has given a couple of evasive responses, but no direct YES or NO, despite being asked the question several times.

I've been to his website, and I see emotive, sensationalist writing ('shadow kicking' being an example). That, coupled with obvious misrepresentations, and the refusal to answer a simple question, and the guy calls himself a "freelance reporter"??? In light of those failings, I ask whether we could believe anything he has written, and my own response would be "NO".

Edited by F4UCorsair

I find it very unfortunate some of these discussions have disintegrated into Thai vs. Farang or Farang vs. Thai kind of B.S.

I have my opinion now of what the teacher did during the period shown in the video. I have no opinion of what transpired beforehand, as yet, because I haven't seen anything that authoritatively shows that period, i.e., the full BTS CCTV footage.

But my opinions now, and if I ever see the full BTS video, would be exactly the same regardless of the nationalities of the two principal parties involved. Farang teacher, Thai guard, Thai teacher, farang guard, makes zero difference to me. It's what each of them did and how they acted that matters, not their race or nationality.

Since some of you clearly are reading impaired, let me repeat for those who didn't catch it the first time.

I've never expressed one word of antagonism against the guy...here or elsewhere. And I certainly don't feel any. I also think anyone engaging in threats or Thai vs. Farang talk needs to seriously look at themselves.

But I have simply said..the guy, as shown on the video and pretty much regardless of what transpired before, acted like a jerk in public, and probably instigated a confrontation that he easily could have avoided.

If you want to talk about causing harm, look to the guy who caused the confrontation in the first place, those who may have publicized it in a sensationalistic way, and those who have engaged in wild talk, threats and racist and/or nationalistic comments -- none of which has come from me.

Maybe some of you feel the guy getting hit in the head, under what circumstances none of us know for certain, gave him a free ticket to go after anyone and everyone around in a wild tirade. I don't. He should have called the police if he was wronged.

You don't have to like or agree with that opinion. But it's a very simple and clear one. And holding that opinion in no way is demonizing the teacher or wishing him any ill.

I was not trying to have a go at you. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I was just stating that peoples opinions in general are based on incomplete knowledge and emotion. If the BTS footage is released I would suspect many (not implying you) will not change their opinions whatever the footage shows. People often get an idea in their head and are unwilling to change their minds due to their previous emotions of the issue. They sometimes see what they want to see based on their previous opinion. A very unfortunate thing for Mr. Behan. I myself try not to judge him as I don't know him. He was a man who lost his temper whatever the circumstances leading up to it. No one was really hurt except for him. Now many posters on forums across many websites are labeling with there own agendas in mind, with no knowledge of this man's personality. I really feel sorry for this guy.

So do I - as long as he's not trying to claim compensation. dry.png

I loved the compilation phosphorescent. I thought Falling Down was one of the great movies I've seen, and we've all felt like that on occasions, but unlike Mr Behan, we don't follow through.

Tall Guy John said, Maybe some of you feel the guy getting hit in the head, under what circumstances none of us know for certain, gave him a free ticket to go after anyone and everyone around in a wild tirade. I don't. He should have called the police if he was wronged.

I agree, and I believe the Tourist Police are very helpful, so it would have been a sensible thing to do, but I think what was 'sensible' was transcended at an early stage.

Edited by F4UCorsair
  • Like 2

I find it very unfortunate some of these discussions have disintegrated into Thai vs. Farang or Farang vs. Thai kind of B.S.

Agreed, but unfortunately that seems to be what has happened.

"Patcharamas Phusri, 36, said a Thai man speaking English called the language school where her husband worked on Friday afternoon to say that if her husband remained in Thailand, the couple would be harmed."

It really doesn't matter your culture, religion, race or where you came from. People around the world generally have the same goals, dreams, and problems in their lives, and deserve the same basic rights and respect. Some, as the guy who made this phone call don't seem to realise this.

Yes...and it could all have easily been avoided (the furor over the incident itself and all the negative fallout from it)...

Don't pick a fight or engage in one here, except in life-threatening situations where there's no other choice.

And if someone has wronged you, walk away and complain to the proper authorities.

Good advice to live and stay safe by in Thailand.

I'm not sure what he wants because he says he didn't press charges and doesn't want charges filed against the security guy and also doesn't want him to lose his job but did file a complaint with police at the security company and BTS but also apparently has found the steps BTS has taken since the incident insufficient ... unless more has come out since his last interview.

And if someone has wronged you, walk away and complain to the proper authorities.

But, if you want to remain and stay safe in Thailand, even this suggestion must be given a pass.

Thai job seekers should have TOEIC of 800 & IQ if 180, if they want to apply for a job at BTS.

Problem solved.

I don't think they guards work for BTS but rather a company they contract with but I could be wrong. However, there is a very good article about "Driving a BTS" in yesterday's Bangkok Post. Nothing to do with fighting and what not but kind of insightful on a number of levels about the BTS, Thai Society and qualifications for the job.

Group 4

Hardly worth claiming compensation in Thailand for a blow on the head. This isn't America.

• Like 1

Wow! This thread has got a major amount of interest for what was really just another minor scuffle in Thailand.

I haven't read every post, but there seems to be a lot of interest in seeing the security camera footage. I'm not sure why. I got curious and did a search on youtube. The video I saw showed the whole thing from well before the guy got smacked in the head. The one I saw started when he was still outside the turnstile and the security guy was just starting to tell him something - apparently balloon related.

Well before the smack in the head, the balloon man had become clearly belligerent and had barged through the turnstile aggressively and pushed past security, making a dash for the stairs to the train when the security guy followed/chased him and smacked him. I understand the smack. What else could he do. It was his job to stop the guy from getting on the train and the balloon man was twice his size and heading away fast. Doesn't make the smack right, but it's understandable. It was a reaction, not a planned strategy.

And why are the security guys always described as "under-trained" or "untrained". If we need to apply adjectives, underpaid would probably be the most fitting.

Neither the smackee nor the smacker come off clean in this incident. They both lost their cool. The Irish guy got belligerent and aggressive (storming the turnstile) first.

The only one I feel sorry for is the security guard who apparently lost his job. This is unfair and too high of a price to pay for an impulsive act of frustration against yet another one of those aggressive, belligerent and constantly angry westerners that we have far too many of in Thailand now.

• Like 2

I realize this is Thailand and things can work differently but was just looking at the OP and it occurred to me that shouldn't it have been the school making the police report? I don't think in most places in the west you could file a police (crime) report by starting out that somebody else told me somebody called them and threatened me. Also, why would the school, where the husband works, tell the wife? So, I am guessing the conversation at the police station went something like my husband told me that somebody told him that somebody called .... kind of like a triple hearsay thing going on.

While I don't doubt that there are many cowardly idiots out there who would make such a phone call, it just struck me as odd is all that there was nothing about statements from the school about the phone call and even stranger (than calling in the first place) somebody would threaten the Thai wife with needing to leave her own country seeing how she wasn't even at the BTS but it does take all kinds and who knows what was going through the troubled head of the caller.

Edited by Nisa

Wow! This thread has got a major amount of interest for what was really just another minor scuffle in Thailand.

I haven't read every post, but there seems to be a lot of interest in seeing the security camera footage. I'm not sure why. I got curious and did a search on youtube. The video I saw showed the whole thing from well before the guy got smacked in the head. The one I saw started when he was still outside the turnstile and the security guy was just starting to tell him something - apparently balloon related.

Well before the smack in the head, the balloon man had become clearly belligerent and had barged through the turnstile aggressively and pushed past security, making a dash for the stairs to the train when the security guy followed/chased him and smacked him. I understand the smack. What else could he do. It was his job to stop the guy from getting on the train and the balloon man was twice his size and heading away fast. Doesn't make the smack right, but it's understandable. It was a reaction, not a planned strategy.

And why are the security guys always described as "under-trained" or "untrained". If we need to apply adjectives, underpaid would probably be the most fitting.

Neither the smackee nor the smacker come off clean in this incident. They both lost their cool. The Irish guy got belligerent and aggressive (storming the turnstile) first.

The only one I feel sorry for is the security guard who apparently lost his job. This is unfair and too high of a price to pay for an impulsive act of frustration against yet another one of those aggressive, belligerent and constantly angry westerners that we have far too many of in Thailand now.

You could post the Youtube link then...since u have seen it

I am assuming you saw the video that is titled or reports to show the foreigner getting assaulted when in fact it doesn't. It does however show the foreigner assaulting staff. If you look at him when he enters the turn style it is clear he has an injury around his eye before entering. Part of the issue with watching the video a number of times is it really becomes clear at how out of control this guy was and making it impossible to think of anything that could have happened prior to excuse such behavior ... though it certainly doesn't condone any staff that may have assaulted him with what amounts to a weapon before and/or after the video ... at least not here in Thailand.

Edited by Nisa

Yes...and it could all have easily been avoided (the furor over the incident itself and all the negative fallout from it)...

Don't pick a fight or engage in one here, except in life-threatening situations where there's no other choice.

Good advice to live and stay safe by anywhere.

-Initial falang motive to make it through turnstile with balloons

-Falang denied and told to axe balloons (or barroons, whichever you prefer)

-Falang flips out and does something stupid (not surprisingly in his case); if that stupid was something physical or not we may never know, but it was something stupid (he admitted as much)

-Falang gets bashed on the head

-Falang motive intensifies, now he REALLY wants to make it through the turnstile with those barroons -- daughter secondary at this point to getting those barroons through.

-Falang pulls some more stupid moves, and throws in some Jean Claude Van Dam maneuvers adding to his forever increasing repertoire of stupid moves.

-Falang goes on TV and tells us all he was wrong, but he is really just a great guy.... in fact, you should buy a beer for him next time you see him. Falang's face is now known all over the country.... even his hero Jean Claude would not have approved of this move.

A great one to watch is "Midnight Express." I am not really saying anything there, just that if you admittedly do something stupid in a country not your own, consider yourself lucky if all you have is a few marks.

PS, I don't want stark raving mad people able to make it through the BTS turnstiles. In fact, isn't this exactly the type of behavior somebody may exhibit if they are trying to do some serious damage??

Whoever made the call obviously knew where he taught. Maybe one of the parents of his students?

I for one have no idea why this guy is allowed to continue teaching after he clearly showed a disregard for Thai law. He should be fired end of story. I would not want my son or daughter being taught by a hot headed guy with no respect for law.

Maybe that's why he received the threats.

Fortunately you are not in any position to hold any power over anyone else.

Someone being fired for an altercation on their free time would not only be over the top but also illegal.

• Like 1

I have tried using only the eye witness reports I have read, including John's own words, to create a mental picture of what made a seemingly regular guy end up being the angry guy in the You Tube video. Here is my take, long form obviously. Feel free to make corrections or add detail.

From what I can make out, John Behan is met by a female transit guard who tells him that he cannot take all of the balloons on the train. The message is given to him directly and also translated to him by his daughter who has better Thai language skills. John gets angry about this. (I can sympathize, when Thai regulations are randomly enforced and the goal posts always seem to be moving, I get frustrated too)

But here is the part where John broke with accepted Thai behavior, he externalized his frustration. He kicked a trashcan, and I can only assume he shouted as well (usually the two go together right?). What John did not realize was that another security guard was watching this and he read John's outburst as threatening. And it is this guard's response which is the most shocking part of the whole situation (it is the part that no one can believe). Out of the blue he clocked John in the eye with his metal detector, with enough force to blacken and lacerate his eye socket. From the accounts I have read, CCTV confirms this scenario, but we will have to see it for ourselves won't we?

The part that I don't understand from the below supposed eye witness, is where he is told that he can take half the balloons. Surely if he is told this it makes a mockery of the rule and it is understandable how someone could not take it serious.

Ok, for all you cyber judges and (Wana)be hard men, this is what ACTUALLY happened (this from someone who witnessed the whole thing):

The guy was told by a guard that balloons were not allowed on. He countered that they (him and his daugther) had arrived via BTS just earlier with the same balloons and it hadn't been a problem. Guard tells him he can take half but not all. Guy decides that's BS and proceeds through turnstile (NOT barging past any guards!). Guard chases and smashes him in the face with a METAL DETECTOR (NOT the baton!)

He was also hit later on the back of the head by another guard! All of this in front of his horrified and terrified 4 yr old daughter. Oh, and the woman was NOT his wife/gf but a Thai bystander who was communicating her disgust at what she had just witnessed.

Now, for those that think this was some form of divine justice, then that's your perogative. I just hope you don't have to experience something as horrific whilst in the company of a small child also.

Some on here really do need to exercise some self-control themselves and refrain from jumping to stupid conclusion about others, based on nothing more than your own arrogance and prejudice!

Oh, and when the Police arrived they told them they wouldn't be arresting any Thais and that if he didn't just leave then HE would be arrested! Didn't even interview the guard.

I'm sure plenty of you will think that's also acceptable practice and procedure too huh?!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/541965-does-anyone-know/page__st__75

Post #87

I have no idea regarding the accuracy or sources of the account of events that you've provided. But apart from your added editorializing and psychoanalyzing of the teacher, I just wondering...

Is this below, as put in your recital, the normal behavior of a "seemingly regular guy" when confronted with a pretty ho-hum kind of daily life frustration???

From what I can make out, John Behan is met by a female transit guard who tells him that he cannot take all of the balloons on the train. The message is given to him directly and also translated to him by his daughter who has better Thai language skills. John gets angry about this. (I can sympathize, when Thai regulations are randomly enforced and the goal posts always seem to be moving, I get frustrated too)

But here is the part where John broke with accepted Thai behavior, he externalized his frustration. He kicked a trashcan, and I can only assume he shouted as well (usually the two go together right?). What John did not realize was that another security guard was watching this and he read John's outburst as threatening.

I have tried using only the eye witness reports I have read, including John's own words, to create a mental picture of what made a seemingly regular guy end up being the angry guy in the You Tube video. Here is my take, long form obviously. Feel free to make corrections or add detail.

But here is the part where John broke with accepted Thai behavior, he externalized his frustration. He kicked a trashcan, and I can only assume he shouted as well (usually the two go together right?). What John did not realize was that another security guard was watching this and he read John's outburst as threatening. And it is this guard's response which is the most shocking part of the whole situation (it is the part that no one can believe). Out of the blue he clocked John in the eye with his metal detector, with enough force to blacken and lacerate his eye socket. From the accounts I have read, CCTV confirms this scenario, but we will have to see it for ourselves won't we?

When attacked with force, and especially when attacked without warning; humans enter into a state of mind known as 'fight or flight', it is characterized with surges of adrenalin and usually heightened reflexes and senses, and often extraordinary strength. Unfortunately when coupled with a blow to the head, the heightened awareness may just give way to disorientation and panic.

So there we have John, surging with adrenalin full of conflicting emotions like anger at the guard, fear for his daughter, a desire to leave, a desire to eliminate the threat, pain in his head. And in response to all this stimuli, John makes a fateful choice and dashes for the turnstiles. After some frantic attempts he manages to get through. At the same time a bystander who has seen the unjustified attack (her opinion) starts making a video that might help John at a later date to get some justice. (She assumed poorly)

How was this witness to know that for the next minute or so John is going to look like a madman as he fights his way through guards, makes a kick in the air and has to be restrained by his friend. Even John himself has said he was shocked when he saw the video later on and he was sorry he had acted in such a way. But John makes it to the stairwell and his friend even gives a thumbs-up to signify something like “OK it's all done, everyone calm down and we'll be on our way.”

But it wasn't all done, John gets jumped again by several guards at once and is punched and hit once again on the head, this time resulting in 5 stitches. About the rest of it I am unclear, but I guess that was the end of the assaults.

Did John make good choices? No I don't think he did. But by the sounds of it he was he may well have intended to make his way to the taxis, or handed over some balloons. His demonstration of anger indicates that he recognized that he had to do something like that, else wise he would have pushed passed the guard and left that trash can in peace. But John didn't get to make that decision with a clear mind because a security guard decided to escalate a minor situation into a national racially charged event by using potentially deadly force without any prior attempt to restrain and subdue.

Did John still have a choice to make after he was hit in the head? Yes he did, was he in coherent and lucid state of mind following the blow to the head? We may never know.

According to this scenerio, the video on the internet is in the middle of the two arse kickings? It seems to me, from his actions on the video, that the second one was probably somewhat justified by his behavior and that no one really knows what caused the first guard to go postal without seeing the actual CCTV footage. I find it difficult to believe that the guard just hauled off and whomped him for disobeying his orders and ignoring the rules, but one could see how it would piss the guard off.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I have no idea regarding the accuracy or sources of the account of events that you've provided. But apart from your added editorializing and psychoanalyzing of the teacher, I just wondering...

Is this below, as put in your recital, the normal behavior of a "seemingly regular guy" when confronted with a pretty ho-hum kind of daily life frustration???

But here is the part where John broke with accepted Thai behavior, he externalized his frustration. He kicked a trashcan, and I can only assume he shouted as well (usually the two go together right?). What John did not realize was that another security guard was watching this and he read John's outburst as threatening.

I am known as a very mild mannered guy, but I have been moved to show my anger over situations in Thailand, especially when I think I am being jacked around by a loosely interpretted regulation. Inconsistency can bring out frustration in normal people.

According to this scenerio, the video on the internet is in the middle of the two arse kickings? It seems to me, from his actions on the video, that the second one was probably somewhat justified by his behavior and that no one really knows what caused the first guard to go postal without seeing the actual CCTV footage. I find it difficult to believe that the guard just hauled off and whomped him for disobeying his orders and ignoring his orders, but one could see how it would piss the guard off.

Yes I have to agree that the second beating was unavoidable after the display that was caught on video. At least when you know how things go down in Thailand.

It's rough out there