Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AFL is prepared to block Sydneys nine-year, $10 million offer for Lance Franklin

THE AFL is prepared to block Sydneys nine-year, $10 million offer for Lance Franklin because it could destroy the clubs list if he retires early.

The league will investigate a potential $4 million-plus payout to Franklin that could be included in a single year if the 26-year-old is delisted or walks away after only five seasons.

The AFL will be prepared to save Sydney from itself by blocking the deal or ensuring the Swans significantly alter it.

The AFL confirmed it would investigate the deal, interviewing key Sydney officials to ensure they understand the ramifications if the deal backfires.

“As part of the review process by the AFL’s Legal, Integrity and Compliance Depart-ment, key people involved in the proposed Franklin arrangement — at this stage a non-binding offer of a nine-year deal — will be interviewed in the coming days,’’ the league said in a statement.

See Full Article HEre

Gotta love the media.. Surely anyone involved in the creating of this deal, would have such a clause in the deal should Franklin decide to retire / request a trade.

As Ireland went on the record last night, Franklin came to them not the other way around. He also made it work with Alastair Lynch at Brisbane, so he has form.

It's a 9 year deal worth a shade over $10 million, do the maths, hardly going to 'tear the heart out of the list', especially with future projections on retirements ie Goodesy, McVeigh etc, trades ie Mumford - all of this frees up considerable cash over a number of years.

Morning Gents ;)

Gotta love the media.. Surely anyone involved in the creating of this deal, would have such a clause in the deal should Franklin decide to retire / request a trade.

As Ireland went on the record last night, Franklin came to them not the other way around. He also made it work with Alastair Lynch at Brisbane, so he has form.

It's a 9 year deal worth a shade over $10 million, do the maths, hardly going to 'tear the heart out of the list', especially with future projections on retirements ie Goodesy, McVeigh etc, trades ie Mumford - all of this frees up considerable cash over a number of years.

Morning Gents wink.png

Yeah spot on GS. Don't forget that long term players like Goodes and Mcveigh have part of their salary exempt form the cap because of their length of service.

As for the COLA. I can see some justification for it to be capped for lower to mid range player...contracts under 400k a year.

I do have one concern with the terms of contract, if the rumours are true, that Buddy gets paid put the full contract if he has injury or breaks down. That would mean the money is still coming out of the salary cap but Sydney would be down a player.

However...Tippet and Buddy...play them both 30 metres from goal...that could be two extra flags in the next 5 years...Flags don't come easy at any stage.

Yeah spot on GS. Don't forget that long term players like Goodes and Mcveigh have part of their salary exempt form the cap because of their length of service.

As for the COLA. I can see some justification for it to be capped for lower to mid range player...contracts under 400k a year.

I do have one concern with the terms of contract, if the rumours are true, that Buddy gets paid put the full contract if he has injury or breaks down. That would mean the money is still coming out of the salary cap but Sydney would be down a player.

However...Tippet and Buddy...play them both 30 metres from goal...that could be two extra flags in the next 5 years...Flags don't come easy at any stage.

Indeed part of their contract falls under some 'old geezer' clause that the AFL has, which within 9 years part of Buddy's contract will be subsidized by this same clause, again, lowering the overall burden on the salary cap. Also add to that projected increases in the salary cap and again, the burden is reduced.

The more I look at this, the more it makes sense - financially kosher / halal et al - no nonsense from the boys at Moore Park. I'd also suggest there's some TPP's (Third Party Payments) added in (remember Master Judd and VISY?) to sweeten the deal, not exorbitant, just enough to tip the scales if required.

The interesting side will be the social aspect. It's reported that Buddy's a regular (how they define regular is probably questionable) on the Sydney social scene and is good mates with Kurtley Beale (rugby), who if you've followed his colorful career should throw up a red flag or 3.

Kings Cross is an obvious attraction for every football code in Australia, hell, the Swans Football Club is smack bang in the middle of the Cross (but it's been there for longer than I've been around and is a really nice place truth be told), hopefully he continues to stay under the radar.

Buddy in Red & White? Salivating..

Indeed part of their contract falls under some 'old geezer' clause that the AFL has, which within 9 years part of Buddy's contract will be subsidized by this same clause, again, lowering the overall burden on the salary cap. Also add to that projected increases in the salary cap and again, the burden is reduced.

The more I look at this, the more it makes sense - financially kosher / halal et al - no nonsense from the boys at Moore Park. I'd also suggest there's some TPP's (Third Party Payments) added in (remember Master Judd and VISY?) to sweeten the deal, not exorbitant, just enough to tip the scales if required.

The interesting side will be the social aspect. It's reported that Buddy's a regular (how they define regular is probably questionable) on the Sydney social scene and is good mates with Kurtley Beale (rugby), who if you've followed his colorful career should throw up a red flag or 3.

Kings Cross is an obvious attraction for every football code in Australia, hell, the Swans Football Club is smack bang in the middle of the Cross (but it's been there for longer than I've been around and is a really nice place truth be told), hopefully he continues to stay under the radar.

Buddy in Red & White? Salivating..

Good news is that apparently Sam Reid has been told by Sydney he is not going anywhere...will be around until 2017

Edit: Buddy's behaviour could be an issue. The whole process could backfire if he is treated differently and the rest of the team don't believe he buys into the team culture.

I'm sure Sydney has looked into it and have a plan.

Edited by BookMan

Morning Gents wink.png

The COLA should be divided evenly between all players, at the moment players like Franklin and Tippet would be using up approx. 20% of it on their own. A player like Franklin receiving around 100K allowance to help with his cost of living (utilities food ect) and a 18 yr old recruit with probably 2 bucks in his bank and dragged across the country receives about 5K. The costs are the same for every player but if they choose to live on Sydney harbour then they pay out of their own pocket.

Give everyone the same allowance of say 20K to pay their food and utility bills and there won't be any fuss from the media or public.

Morning Gents Posted Image

The COLA should be divided evenly between all players, at the moment players like Franklin and Tippet would be using up approx. 20% of it on their own. A player like Franklin receiving around 100K allowance to help with his cost of living (utilities food ect) and a 18 yr old recruit with probably 2 bucks in his bank and dragged across the country receives about 5K. The costs are the same for every player but if they choose to live on Sydney harbour then they pay out of their own pocket.

Give everyone the same allowance of say 20K to pay their food and utility bills and there won't be any fuss from the media or public.

Yeah, sorry chooka, it is spread equally, it's called a mandatory 9.8% on top of their contract. A bit like how mandatory employer super contributions work. Numerically it may not be even, but that's the price you pay.

The boys live together as a group of about 4 or 5. Couple of senior players flat with a couple of junior players. If they're on a higher contract they can choose to live wherever they want.

It's actually how I really got into footy, my sister lived in the same apartment complex as Goodesy and Mickey O in Alexandria and I used to kick the footy with them after school.

• Like 1

Surprised? Not really.. Unfortunate? Always disappointing to see it happen..

But the media appear to be making it into something more than it is...

He's not the first and unfortunately won't be the last...

Surprised? Not really.. Unfortunate? Always disappointing to see it happen..

But the media appear to be making it into something more than it is...

He's not the first and unfortunately won't be the last...

It took him this long to get there?

On one level I feel for the guy. He has wasted all those playing years and money and blown the lot, most of it on gambling. Also tossed away the last 4 years of his playing career really, getting drunk and thinking himself too important

Yeah, sorry chooka, it is spread equally, it's called a mandatory 9.8% on top of their contract. A bit like how mandatory employer super contributions work. Numerically it may not be even, but that's the price you pay.

The boys live together as a group of about 4 or 5. Couple of senior players flat with a couple of junior players. If they're on a higher contract they can choose to live wherever they want.

It's actually how I really got into footy, my sister lived in the same apartment complex as Goodesy and Mickey O in Alexandria and I used to kick the footy with them after school.

There must be some good memories there GS. They would have been young players at the time for the Swans I imagine?

Two of the Swans greatest players of the last 20 years, both 300 games + and one club players.

Interesting about Micky O taking over the Swans Academy. I wasn't aware he was good in that line of things. What is your take on that?

Edited by BookMan

There must be some good memories there GS. They would have been young players at the time for the Swans I imagine?

Two of the Swans greatest players of the last 20 years, both 300 games + and one club players.

Interesting about Micky O taking over the Swans Academy. I wasn't aware he was good in that line of things. What is your take on that?

Mate, at the time, I was just kicking this red footy around a cricket oval... It wasn't until later it dawned on me who these boys were. Then I was like 'holy f***' I thought I could kick a footy, I was taught many a lesson from the boys - how to hold the footy, the art of handballing and improving my torpedo. I was just a private school rugby rat at the time but that didn't bother the boys and encouraged me to have a crack at AFL. Good times.

They're legends of the club and have really done so much for indigenous footy along with others (Andrew McLeod).

Mick's coaching the indigenous international rules side this year and has been involved in the AIS-AFL Academy for a few years. I was more surprised that he didn't land an assistants gig after retiring. He's an intelligent footballer and understands the game quite well due in part to his last few years as a player - the way he was rotated gave him the extra few years.

I'd love to see him as the coach in a few years if the opportunity was to arise. Think along the lines of Roosey ;)

• Like 1

Morning Gents wink.png

I understand what you are saying, every player gets an extra 9.8% of their salary as part of COLA. Buddies salary say 1 million per year so he would get 98K per yr from the COLA fund on top. Then you get Billy Blogs from W.A drafted and on a salary of 50K and his 9.8% on top is around 5K. Buddies basic cost of living isn't going to be any different to Billy Bloggs.

Lets say they have 44 on the list why not divide 1 mil by 44 and that gives each player an equal share of living expenses.

Morning Gents Posted Image

I understand what you are saying, every player gets an extra 9.8% of their salary as part of COLA. Buddies salary say 1 million per year so he would get 98K per yr from the COLA fund on top. Then you get Billy Blogs from W.A drafted and on a salary of 50K and his 9.8% on top is around 5K. Buddies basic cost of living isn't going to be any different to Billy Bloggs.

Lets say they have 44 on the list why not divide 1 mil by 44 and that gives each player an equal share of living expenses.

If they split evenly amongst the playing group, the essence of the CoLA is gone.

There's plenty of misconception out there on what it was designed for.

Evenly split, it's not going to attract the big names - which is what it was designed for.

You can survive on 50k a year in Sydney if you're sharing an apartment with 2-3 other team mates. Plenty of people do it - I used to be one of them (not a player of course haha)

But unless you're a superstar - like Franklin - you're not going to be able to command that kind of coin.

Same goes in the business world..

Well the saints have got one signing against the mass exodus. Never played Australian Football but we will need everyone we can get.

International rookie signs on for Saints

12:17pm AEST Wednesday, October 2, 2013

St Kilda Football Club is pleased to announce it has signed American college basketballer Jason Holmes as an International Rookie.

The athletic 23-year-old, originally from Chicago, is a multi-talented sportsman, with a background in American Football, soccer and most recently playing division one college basketball with the Morehead State Eagles in Kentucky.

After impressing at the AFL combine held in Los Angeles in April this year, and training with the Sydney Swans Academy mid-year under Paul Roos, Holmes, who stands at 203 centimetres is a potential ruck/key position prospect for the Saints.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-10-02/international-rookie-signs-on-for-saints

post-122647-0-21075800-1380693063_thumb.

post-122647-0-95880300-1380694104_thumb.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

Mumford has gone to GWS for about $650k x 3 seasons

Hawthorn were offering about 450k apparently

If the Hawks were only offering 450k, no wonder he knocked it back and headed up the M4...

Normally losing a player of Mumford would get a rise out of me. Guess after Buddy, I'm not so phased.

Mummy did himself proud in the red and white... Good luck at GWS - he's going to need it lest they sign a big name...

Would it be improper of the Swans to request a compo pick? Hahaha..

Just makes the Buddy deal all the easier to get through...

If the Hawks were only offering 450k, no wonder he knocked it back and headed up the M4...

Normally losing a player of Mumford would get a rise out of me. Guess after Buddy, I'm not so phased.

Mummy did himself proud in the red and white... Good luck at GWS - he's going to need it lest they sign a big name...

Yeah , they were talking maybe pick 30ish.

I consider Mummy a loss, but as you say, now we have Buddy, it compensates tongue.png

hawks should be happy anyway...we did give them Matt Spangher this year

Edited by BookMan

I consider Mummy a loss, but as you say, now we have Buddy, it compensates tongue.png

I believe the hawks wanted Mumford and the swans pick 14 in compensation for Franklin.

I consider Mummy a loss, but as you say, now we have Buddy, it compensates Posted Image

I believe the hawks wanted Mumford and the swans pick 14 in compensation for Franklin.

Hahaha as a restricted free agent, the hawks are hardly in the position to be offering terms..

The only thing that keeps them in the race is if the AFL sh**s on the Swans proposal.

As for Spangher hahaha yeah sorry about that, I guess we owe them something for that... But I don't think a firsty is it :P

Mitch Morton thinks the CoLA should be 20% - as someone who has benefited from both the Swans and the CoLA - interesting point of view...

That is interesting what Mitch says..

There is a lot of clubs bitching and moaning about Sydney. Fact is, it is very hard to attract decent players to Sydney. One of the only incentives is money. It is a credit to Sydney's backroom staff that they have recruited so well. Basically before Tippet last year the big name recruit (in the current team) was Mumford. <deleted>!

Also, that Sydney kept it secret for one year, regarding Buddy, is also a credit to the club's management. It shows that those who knew are on the same page and didn't go telling their mates. They kept it professional.

The harmonious Sydney board and management cannot last forever. When Colless goes I worry what will happen five years down the track. I hope internal politics does not get in the way of things.

Look at Brisbane. Sack their coach, no immediate replacement. Board in turmoil. 7 players are leaving this year! How many would have left if they kept Voss or at the very least had a decent replacement lined up to start immediately?

And they keep fleeing St Kilda. The exodus continues total now 14.

Ledger takes a risk after frank discussion with Saints

By Jennifer Phelan 5:05pm AEST Wednesday, October 2, 2013

TOM LEDGER admits he's taken a risk by walking out of St Kilda but believes he has plenty to offer another club after realising what it takes to become an elite player.
The 21-year-old asked to be delisted by the Saints last week after a candid chat with coach Scott Watters.
The playing group dispise Watters and I think he has to go before there is no team left.

Free agency coming up and I am sure that a few players will be looking at the mass exodus at St Kilda and players actually requesting to be delisted and will be thinking there is big trouble in the club. They definitely won't be putting their hands up to go to St Kilda.

Edited by chooka

GWS Pursue Saint Sam Fisher

October 2, 2013 - 6:21PM

Defender Sam Fisher who is in contract is being pursued by Greater Western Sydney. The back man had a interrupted season due to injury but this has not deterred those a Greater Western Sydney. Collingwood is also circling Saints captain and star Nick Riewoldt.

Saints coach Scott Watters said he was alarmed to hear the myriad rumours surrounding his football club and declared his senior players were untouchable.

The discussions in industry circles that senior players were leaving in droves or being forced out of St Kilda - which culminated in Collingwood sounding out Riewoldt about a possible move. It is rumoured that up to 18 players could be traded or delisted during the free agency/trade periods. It is rumoured that six players have requested voluntary delisting.

i tried to quote Bookman post 2482 but Thaivisa gremlins struck again.

If the Hawks offered the same offer as Swans then there would have to do a trade. Hawthorn knew Franklin wanted to go to Sydney. It would have been a smart move by the Hawks.

I personally believe that Franklin will not be good for the Swans. I hope I will be proved wrong. I think Mumford's work effort would have been worth keeping. I would rate him above Reid

That is interesting what Mitch says..

There is a lot of clubs bitching and moaning about Sydney. Fact is, it is very hard to attract decent players to Sydney. One of the only incentives is money. It is a credit to Sydney's backroom staff that they have recruited so well. Basically before Tippet last year the big name recruit (in the current team) was Mumford. <deleted>!

Also, that Sydney kept it secret for one year, regarding Buddy, is also a credit to the club's management. It shows that those who knew are on the same page and didn't go telling their mates. They kept it professional.

The harmonious Sydney board and management cannot last forever. When Colless goes I worry what will happen five years down the track. I hope internal politics does not get in the way of things.

Look at Brisbane. Sack their coach, no immediate replacement. Board in turmoil. 7 players are leaving this year! How many would have left if they kept Voss or at the very least had a decent replacement lined up to start immediately?

The fact that it was kept a secret for so long by all concerned is by far the bigger story and I tip my hat to those concerned that it never leaked!

The fact that Mummy was our last major signing before Tippett goes to show that the CoLA works as intended.

I see Brayshaw (Eddies bum buddy) has lashed out as well, he, like Eddie, can suck a bag'o'd****

As for Colless leaving, the Swans certainly won't let what happened to Brisbane happen, nor will the AFL let it happen. The board at Sydney is rock solid - which is evidenced by the Franklin deal.

As for St Kilda, holy shit chooka, that is crazy, such a mass exodus is quite the cause for concern. How is Harvey going down there? Would he be ready for the top job if he got the tap on the shoulder?

Riewoldt to the Pies? Hmmm makes sense that Jesse White had a chat with Malthouse then... I'm not sure how he'd handle being at the Blues, would be a culture shock having Malthouse ramming his preachings down his throat.

Trade week, love it or hate it, no denying it's making it's mark on the game ;)