Snake Swallowing A (Squealing) Frog Next To The House

jko

Heard the familiar cries of a frog meeting its end, and went outside to see this 2-metre snake trying to swallow a large lunch. Looks like he'd already had a first course, judging by the swelling not far behind the head

I'd actually disturbed him in some undergrowth fringing the house the day before - he hissed loudly before sliding away at surprising speed. Will be interested if anybody can identify him. Since the frog continued to cry out for over 10 minutes I suppose (hope!) he is not poisonous, as venom would have taken effect before then?

Description: Mottled dark and pale green. Dark brown triangle on top of the head, fading to yellow/orange and extending into dorsal stripe. Cream coloured cheeks and underbelly.

post-91025-0-52488400-1332678335_thumb.j

I had the same snake near the front door of my house...also with a big lump from something it had just eaten, I was of the oppinion it would just go on its way after a while and decided to let it be but a visiting gf stamped on its head and thew it out onto the street.

I had the same snake near the front door of my house...also with a big lump from something it had just eaten, I was of the oppinion it would just go on its way after a while and decided to let it be but a visiting gf stamped on its head and thew it out onto the street.

The same snake? From the OP's photo it seems to have recovered quite nicely...

<duck>

none of the above... it's a Painted Bronzeback (Dendrelaphis pictus)

quite harmless... thumbsup.gif

Thanks Goshawk yes, you're spot on - and for members who might encounter another of the same, there are good images plus a Wikipedia entry here:

http://www.flickr.co...fig/5936014793/

http://www.flickr.co...van/4150908630/

http://en.wikipedia....relaphis_pictus

Killing any snake really serves no purpose - unless it's for food as hungry villagers might do.

Snakes do not rush out to attack people (like some dogs) and will only bite if you step on one, or stupidly put your hand into a place (e.g. under a log) where they might be resting. Same goes for scorpions and giant centipedes. They all have their rightful place in the food chain/eco system, and in many cases we are invading their territory, not vice-versa.

I restrict my killing to mozzies.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, Goshawk. I knew it wasn't venomous and didn't look quite like a Keelback, even though it did have a pretty head.

Thanks Goshawk yes, you're spot on - and for members who might encounter another of the same, there are good images plus a Wikipedia entry here:

http://www.flickr.co...fig/5936014793/

http://www.flickr.co...van/4150908630/

http://en.wikipedia....relaphis_pictus

Killing any snake really serves no purpose - unless it's for food as hungry villagers might do.

Snakes do not rush out to attack people (like some dogs) and will only bite if you step on one, or stupidly put your hand into a place (e.g. under a log) where they might be resting. Same goes for scorpions and giant centipedes. They all have their rightful place in the food chain/eco system, and in many cases we are invading their territory, not vice-versa.

I restrict my killing to mozzies.

I'm not having that!!........

Things were going rosy in the Garden of Eden until that snake turned up..................and it's been downhill ever since. huh.png

Edited by theblether

Wife always kills snakes "very danger!" ..I let 'em be ...killing 'em seems a bit well..

that said... had one ( as in pics) drop on my head whilst doing something in our old bamboo shed, slide down my back and disappeared...works better than Senapods....

.Snake pics posted once before...

post-36430-0-17276100-1332803154_thumb.j

post-36430-0-65621700-1332803220_thumb.j

Wife always kills snakes "very danger!" ..I let 'em be ...killing 'em seems a bit well..

that said... had one ( as in pics) drop on my head whilst doing something in our old bamboo shed, slide down my back and disappeared...works better than Senapods....

great photo of the tree snake eating a tokay.... that is why they are attracted houses, they know what lives in the roof. Sad the wife and so many others have not bothered to learn about snakes, I could never tolerate a "kill them all " attitude.

I've had a couple of these in my house. Since snakes freak my out I killed them but I'm now starting to wonder if I'm overreacting. How dangerous are these tree snakes to people and how would you remove one from inside a house?

I've had a couple of these in my house. Since snakes freak my out I killed them but I'm now starting to wonder if I'm overreacting. How dangerous are these tree snakes to people and how would you remove one from inside a house?

I’m no expert…I would recommend you first read about and know what the different snakes you may encounter look like….A bit late to mix up a cobra with a common tree snake, when your trying to wave them out with a dishcloth, don’t you think?

I met a snake a few days ago at my home…..didn’t look too bad, got some shots of him…a Golden tree snake, (I looked him up)…Turns out to be very…very aggressive, and poisons, luckily not to humans, it is also said to be the fastest snake, (as far a striking) which it does repeatedly.

All I’m saying is be careful mate.

post-69255-0-31319400-1332929160_thumb.j