Some People!

kawapower

Just back from PTT man in front of me ask's for petrol, no words just wave of his hand, can not open the seat so girl does for him, 75bht of fuel, gives the girl 500bht and with his hand waves as if to say keep the change!! I say to him "mate you have given her 500bht" he looks at me with a blank stare then looks at the change the girl is holding and fumbles away 400 bht leaving the girl the rest, I look at him as if to say "you all there mate" nothing but a blank stare, gets on his bike and once he has figured out how to start it he drives away. amazing Thailand!!! no thanks, <Snip!> people!!!

Edited by metisdead
Drop the disguised profanities!

proabably a first timer on holiday, maybe never been on a scooter? before in his life

and just rented one

i see people giving crazy tips al the time ,taxis often get told to keep the change from 1000 thb

notes for a short ride

thats what screws it up for the people that live here

al farangs then get tarred with the same brush (rich and stupid ) :)

There are some strange ones around..last night coming back from dinner with gf we got stopped by dishevelled farang begging.. this wasn't a beggar standing at side hoping for a handout rather a big guy standing in our way.. scared the daylights out of gf and I must admit when he deliberately stepped in front of me blocking my path i thought " here we go".

There are some strange ones around..last night coming back from dinner with gf we got stopped by dishevelled farang begging.. this wasn't a beggar standing at side hoping for a handout rather a big guy standing in our way.. scared the daylights out of gf and I must admit when he deliberately stepped in front of me blocking my path i thought " here we go".

What happened next?

theres a few farang i see begging around bts stations looking very rough ,a few guys are ambitious though ,one plays a guitar and another sells homemade wallets on the foothpath outside patpong

(i have no idea how they get hassled by the cops or imigration )

even more who come over to you in bars hoping you wil buy them a few a few drinks because they dont get paid til the end of tha month etc D

i wonder what the thais think when they see farang beggars .........:)

What happened next?

Said no thanks side stepped off curb around him, gf ran across other side of road ( she was quite spooked by him) and went on our way and into 7-11... as i went into 7-11 looked back and he was still standing there looking at us. Gf said later if she had been by herself she probably would have given money .. I was just taken aback by fact he deliberately and aggressively positioned him self right in my path . Gf said he looked like on yaba (sp ??)

What happened next?

Said no thanks side stepped off curb around him, gf ran across other side of road ( she was quite spooked by him) and went on our way and into 7-11... as i went into 7-11 looked back and he was still standing there looking at us. Gf said later if she had been by herself she probably would have given money .. I was just taken aback by fact he deliberately and aggressively positioned him self right in my path . Gf said he looked like on yaba (sp ??)

I actually did toy in my mind whilst in 7-11 re calling police and telling them there was some farang vagrant/ beggar acting aggressively on soi 24 however when we came out he wasn't to be seen... it was creepy and almost something akin to being in rough areas of Detroit.

Once had a falang well dressed ask me for 100bht for petrol as he had left his house without his money, I politely said no!! begging is big business all over the world, in the UK there was a programme about a guy who worked in a big office, after work he would do a quick change into his begging gear and earn lots of money, obviously an entrepreneur of the highest order!!

What happened next?

I actually did toy in my mind whilst in 7-11 re calling police and telling them there was some farang vagrant/ beggar acting aggressively on soi 24 however when we came out he wasn't to be seen... it was creepy and almost something akin to being in rough areas of Detroit.

You think Detroit is rough, try Flint. Haha

I agree though, he was probably a tourist who couldn't be bothered to learn any Thai ways.

Wow, such crazy stories! Farangs giving too much tip. Farangs playing guitar. Farangs begging. Maybe they even not took a shower today and drink beer at daylight. Thai immigration should really react now before its too late!

Still cant believe it :)

You guys are sure the ones who say "Go looking for work and earn some money yourself" if someone ask you for help in your home country.

I once was stranded somewhere in Mexico City without money. I still remember how people looked at me when i asked for some small money to make a phone call at my uncle (who is living there).

I know many people in my home country who are begging. Often these people are very nice guys and have interesting things to tell you. Not everyone relies on the system of work, money and ruthlessness.

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose :)

PS:

Of course there are also some farang a_holes here. I don't deny this fact.

Still cant believe it smile.png

You guys are sure the ones who say "Go looking for work and earn some money yourself" if someone ask you for help in your home country.

I once was stranded somewhere in Mexico City without money. I still remember how people looked at me when i asked for some small money to make a phone call at my uncle (who is living there).

I know many people in my home country who are begging. Often these people are very nice guys and have interesting things to tell you. Not everyone relies on the system of work, money and ruthlessness.

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose smile.png

PS:

i didnt say i had a problem with the farang who begs at tourist areas or the one who plays guitar for donations

its just amazing that they can do it without being deported or hassled by the police

if theyre sitting begging with a 7-11 cup and look like havent shaced or showered for weeks ,theres a good probability

they dont have visas and work permits also :D

PS:

i didnt say i had a problem with the farang who begs at tourist areas or the one who plays guitar for donations

its just amazing that they can do it without being deported or hassled by the police

if theyre sitting begging with a 7-11 cup and look like havent shaced or showered for weeks ,theres a good probability

they dont have visas and work permits also biggrin.png

Maybe they are collecting money for using a washing-machine and applying for a visa ;)

Don't know the laws about begging in LOS. Maybe everyone can do it? Or do i need a work permit to do it? But i pay full respect to such guys. If they really try to life without having money, just begging. This takes balls. But i am a hopeless romantic. I even feed the straying cats in my village :)

"We" have a chap like this in South-Pattaya; a lightly bearded guy, approx. age 35-40 (guess), always wearing a floppy hat with the string under his chin. He has all his wordly possessions in a series of plastic bags, which he carries everywhere he goes. He spends most days sitting in a vacant Police-Seat (the kind with a big model of a Police-helmet as a suns-shade; on the corner of Sukhumvit <> Soi Kow-Noi.

I once saw him in the nearby 7/11 and the guy looked positively hungry, so I gave him Bt. 100.- - He rushed back into the store to buy some food. My wife also had a similar experience, where she bought him some hot-dogs, which he eagerly and gratefully accepted.

He's been around for many months and I am curious as to his status and where he sleeps at night etc. When I asked him once where he was from, he answered with an Eastern European accent "America" - and when I asked him whereabouts in the States, he came back with Massachusetts but he could not actually pronounced this properly, so I have my doubts . . . .

I wonder what his story is.

"We" have a chap like this in South-Pattaya; a lightly bearded guy, approx. age 35-40 (guess), always wearing a floppy hat with the string under his chin. He has all his wordly possessions in a series of plastic bags, which he carries everywhere he goes. He spends most days sitting in a vacant Police-Seat (the kind with a big model of a Police-helmet as a suns-shade; on the corner of Sukhumvit <> Soi Kow-Noi.

I once saw him in the nearby 7/11 and the guy looked positively hungry, so I gave him Bt. 100.- - He rushed back into the store to buy some food. My wife also had a similar experience, where she bought him some hot-dogs, which he eagerly and gratefully accepted.

He's been around for many months and I am curious as to his status and where he sleeps at night etc. When I asked him once where he was from, he answered with an Eastern European accent "America" - and when I asked him whereabouts in the States, he came back with Massachusetts but he could not actually pronounced this properly, so I have my doubts . . . .

I wonder what his story is.

Shouldn't that be Khao Talo ?

Amazing.....the guy gets THB 100 and instead of finding a cheaper food-stall, he buys some snack in the 7/11.

I've seen him a couple of times now and he is real bright example of how life shouldn't be. Just wondering, like Jaap, on what status he is here.

theres a guy in silom who sells handmade bracelets and wallets on the footpath every night ,do they give out work permits for street grafting thesedays? :)

theres an australian guy on khao san rd,skinhead covered in spider web tattoos ,looks like an extra from a prison movie ,he hangs about the currency changing booths with various stories about being ripped off by police and trying to borrow cash for a bus ticket to airport

hes been doing the same routine for months ,always clean shaven and fresh looking so he already probably lives somewhere around there in a cheap guesthouse ,doesnt sleep on the streets by the looks of him anyway ,maybe he just collects beer money like that :)

Beggars really pizz me off. A Thai guy the other day couldn't have been more than 45 years old, not disabled and didn't seem to be mental but was begging. Lazy.

When I think of the poor people I have met who work hard and do loads of jobs just to get by and live on next to nothing it makes me wonder why these people can't.

As for over tipping the petrol pump attendant, she could have got an extra days wages there, I bet she is thanking you for that.

Beggars really pizz me off. A Thai guy the other day couldn't have been more than 45 years old, not disabled and didn't seem to be mental but was begging. Lazy.

When I think of the poor people I have met who work hard and do loads of jobs just to get by and live on next to nothing it makes me wonder why these people can't.

As for over tipping the petrol pump attendant, she could have got an extra days wages there, I bet she is thanking you for that.

theres a guy in a petrol station i go to sometimes and he always says "tip.tip ,tip?" when hes put the gas in

i usually tell him if he goes to a cold country ,never eat yellow snow

• Like 1

I am sure the girl was very honest as she held the change looked at me as if to say is he all there, a dis-honest girl would have put the change quickly away, there are many good honest people here she was obviously one of them!!

What happened next?

I'd have knee'd him in the crunchies and politely told him to <Snip!> off and go home

Edited by metisdead
Drop the disguised profanities,

One post skirting around another posters identity has been removed. Please see the following rule that could lead to a permanent suspension of posting rights.

19) Not to post other members' personal details, photos or web site details. Doing so will result in an instant ban.

I am sure the girl was very honest as she held the change looked at me as if to say is he all there, a dis-honest girl would have put the change quickly away, there are many good honest people here she was obviously one of them!!

Honesty is offering the change, not refusing a tip however large.

Have you considered that the guy knew exactly what he was doing and resented your intrusion into what he saw as a random act of generosity?

What happened next?

I'd have knee'd him in the crunchies and politely told him to <Snip!> off and go home

To be honest smedly he was in front of me too quickly and first reaction was to back away and also get gf around the other side of him... probably what disturbed me the most was the menace that this guy oozed.. almost maleavolent air about him.

PS:

wantan you dont have the contact name and number for the person who lent you the peso's do you ?... Im going to put a contract out on the $ucker