Can A Foreign Student Learning Thai Open Bank Account Here ?

Dear all,

An ED visa holder wants to open bank account

Can a foreign student learning Thai open bank account here ?

How easy is it ?

Do I need to bring recommendation letter from Thai language school ?

What kind of account will I get ?

Is there monthly charge ?

Administrative fee ?

Will I get ATM card that be easily used at any ATM machine ?

what's the name of the bank ?

Many thanks

You should be able to open an account at most banks. The usual documentation is a passport and a second form of ID such as a drivers license. Opening balance is around 500 baht, ATM cards are available and there is another charge for that. No other Bank charges for the standard savings account most people obtain.

An indication of the process is available at the attached website.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Pages/Opening%20an%20account%20new.aspx

It has been reported in many threads on Thai Visa.com that those with a Tourist Visa have opened accounts.

Comments suggest that Kasikorn (the green bank) is the most favorable for foreigners based on the success rates.

Thus - with an Ed Visa you should face fewer obstacles than those with a tourist visa.

Posters have pointed out that they may have to travel to more than one branch before being permitted to open an account as each manager or teller interprets or misinterprets the regulations differently. Some who don't know, will simply say no, so its matter of persistence.

You should be able to get an AMT / Debit card (Electron) - About B300 charge. There are no charges for Opening the account beyond the opening balance required.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

The main point is make sure you state SAVINGS ACCOUNT not any other type of account.

This will provide account book, ATM card/debit card.

If you can, take a Thai with you.

If at first you don't succeed , just go to the next one.

If you use the ATM card outside the province it was issued you will be charged a fee.

i.e issued in Bangkok, used in Pattaya there will be an additional transaction fee.

Used in another banks ATM additional fee.

The Bangkok Bank B1st chipped card can only be used in Bangkok Bank B1st machines.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

And remember that when a clerk says that this cannot be done, it means only that he (or she) does not know how to do that. Just walk away and go to another bank.

My experience is that Kasikorn is more "user"-friendly than most other banks, and Bangkokbank is the least. Although you might get lucky in a branch where many foreigners are, such as in Siam Paragon (ground floor).