Just Cleaned My Instant Water Heater/Shower Unit

VocalNeal

On a whim I thought I would clean my water heater. It's a Panasonic 4500 watt unit and is about 5+ years old.

I thought maybe after a while it had some calcium build up that may be restricting the water flow slightly. So I bought some vinegar, disconnected the inlet hose, removed the shower head, let the water drain out, blew out the remaining water as best I could, tied the outlet hose in a loose knot around the inlet tap to keep it upright and filled the system with vinegar through the outlet hose until it came out of the inlet.(I had to hold the outlet hose a bit higher than the inlet to get the vinegar to flow) and left it for a few hours. Then I connected the inlet and replaced the shower head.

Result: Well the flow hasn't improved but it definitely did something to the heat transfer and now the heater is much more efficient. How do i know? Well mine has electronic heat control and now at my normal morning shower temperature the control light comes on denoting that is is regulating the temperature. I have not seen this for as long as I can remember and did not realize it was not coming on until now.

I'm in BKK and do not know what parts of Thailand have hard water, but it should work in most places. So for 20 bahts worth of vinegar and a few minutes work I would recommend that anyone with an older water heater do this. It is not difficult, requires no tools and does yield results

Sounds interesting.

My unit is about 6 years old and could do with a clean out. Do you think the vinegar will work on the shower head also?

Unfortunately on my unit the shower head can't be taken apart and the little holes are getting clogged as well as squirting water all over the place.

Sounds interesting.

My unit is about 6 years old and could do with a clean out. Do you think the vinegar will work on the shower head also?

Unfortunately on my unit the shower head can't be taken apart and the little holes are getting clogged as well as squirting water all over the place.

I cleaned the (plastic) shower head with that acid stuff from Tesco Express. In the cleaning section in a bright orange or purple bottle sometimes with a rubber clove attached. I had some already for cleaning the tiles. I just held the shower head horizontal and dribbled some acid onto the holes.

Vinegar or Coke works as well. Just but a large 1 litre coke and dunk the shower head into a container full of Coke.