Declaring Usd At Swampy Airport As Proof Of Foreign Source

Royrex

Not sure which forum to post in

Background: I used to bring in close to $10,000 USD cash many times thru airport, (not declared) go deposit into thai banks.

Recently I was denied the initial "retirement" extension of stay because Immigation (Changwattana?) wanted letter from bank stating money was from a foreign source. The bank would not give letter because only proof bank had was my USD cash deposits. Now bank says I can not transfer money out of thailand because I can not prove it is foreign sourced.

My thinking is to declare any additional money I bring in, to Airport Customs to have some form on documentation, it is foreign sourced before depositing into a Thai bank. Thereby the bank can give letter required by Immigration. I can get my extension of stay.

There's lots of threads regarding wiring money here. I use Bangkok Bank as they have a branch in New York. Easier to transfer there and is cheaper than doing a wire transfer. I forget the cost, but it's really not that much. $20-25 or so. I don't like carrying around large amounts of money.