Snake Identification

Hi Folks

Can somebody identify the following snake

2 mtrs long, about the same size as a broom handle, darkish brown with yellow belly,

I have asked some Thais but they "say" that they don't know

Perhaps they are being "kind" to me.........or not......lol

Many thanks

Thanks Petercool

I have had a look at that site but do not see it

I could post a "pic" but I will probably upset the "snake-lovers" as it is dead

Sorry in advance to them, but in my opinion (poisonous snakes) are indiscriminate with whom they attack, it could be me, you , or perish the thought a child. So I will not take the risk

Take it into the emergency room in Hospital. They all have jars with presereved snakes in them for identifying what snake a person was bit by so they can use the proper anti-venom. BPH for sure because I have seen them all but I think every hospital has them.

Take it into the emergency room in Hospital. They all have jars with presereved snakes in them for identifying what snake a person was bit by so they can use the proper anti-venom. BPH for sure because I have seen them all but I think every hospital has them.

I brought my wife to the ER at BPH after being bitten by a snake. None of the staff showed us and snakes in jars or pictures to try and ID the snake that bit her. They were actually much more concerned with her insurance card being out dated and made us retrieve her current card before they started treating her. Once they had her current card then they wanted to admit here for an expensive stay.

Beware of BPH for anything. They are all about the money.

• Like 1

In the emergency room of BPH and Pattaya International if you just look up on the shelf that surrounds the emerg room you will see the snakes. This is why when you are in any tropical country that has poisones snakes, if you get bit you are supposed to try and catch the snake even if it means getting bit again and bring it to the hospital A snake releases 70% of its venom in the first bite so if you can catch it then they will be able to give you the proper anti-venom.

That's why they keep petrofied snaked in hospitals here. (or would I say pickled snakes?)

In the emergency room of BPH and Pattaya International if you just look up on the shelf that surrounds the emerg room you will see the snakes. This is why when you are in any tropical country that has poisones snakes, if you get bit you are supposed to try and catch the snake even if it means getting bit again and bring it to the hospital A snake releases 70% of its venom in the first bite so if you can catch it then they will be able to give you the proper anti-venom.

That's why they keep petrofied snaked in hospitals here. (or would I say pickled snakes?)

Guess we were too much in shock after being bitten to wander around the ER looking for snakes in bottles. I can assure you that the staff did ask what the snake looked like but gave no indication that there was something we could look at to better ID the snake that bit her.

Your description,smallish ,yellow colouring ,probably on a dark brown skin would suggest a Malaya pit viper (finger rotter) called a stupid snake as after a bite it stays where it is for quite a while.

Large outbreak of them in Pattaya area methinks,not looking forward to monsoon season that brings 'em all out

[A snake releases 70% of its venom in the first bite so if you can catch it then they will be able to give you the proper anti-venom.]

Some snakes give a ' dry bite ', even the most venomous ones so hospitals are cautious as to how much anti venom to pump into the patiant. In South Africa they sometimes play the wait and see game i.e. make sure the snake has injected venom and then once it is established it has they ( doctors ) go full throttle.

This is why when you are in any tropical country that has poisones snakes, if you get bit you are supposed to try and catch the snake even if it means getting bit again and bring it to the hospital A snake releases 70% of its venom in the first bite so if you can catch it then they will be able to give you the proper anti-venom.

Could you provide a link to that information? I ask as it is the exact opposite of what I understood. I have also had a look around a few web sites this morning, and they pretty much uniformly agree NOT to try to catch the snake (and risk a second bite) and that identification is secondary to getting to hospital. The majority of places also say that the first bite is often without venom (a warning dry bite). So, according to my (limited) back ground knowledge, and some reading this morning your post is incorrect, and the advice given is both foolhardy and potentially extremely dangerous.

Hence my request for a link to support your statement.

This is why when you are in any tropical country that has poisones snakes, if you get bit you are supposed to try and catch the snake even if it means getting bit again and bring it to the hospital A snake releases 70% of its venom in the first bite so if you can catch it then they will be able to give you the proper anti-venom.

Could you provide a link to that information? I ask as it is the exact opposite of what I understood. I have also had a look around a few web sites this morning, and they pretty much uniformly agree NOT to try to catch the snake (and risk a second bite) and that identification is secondary to getting to hospital. The majority of places also say that the first bite is often without venom (a warning dry bite). So, according to my (limited) back ground knowledge, and some reading this morning your post is incorrect, and the advice given is both foolhardy and potentially extremely dangerous.

Hence my request for a link to support your statement.

So how do you think they would know what anti-venom to give if you cannot identify the snake or bring it in?

If a person shows up to hospital for snake bite and they are completely coherant then the staff would assume that they are ok however if you show up passed out or staggering, halicinating etc. then they would want to know what kind of snake bit you. There is no "one anti-venom cures all."

When I first moved to Thailand 11 years ago I lived on Koh Change where there is 24 deadly snakes that inhabit the island and had several encounters with them all over and learned quickly from the Thai's about snakes in Thailand.

My first snake encounter was when a female tourist went to go back into her cabin and seen a snake coiled up just at her door-step. She came back and told us all and me and a bunch of Thai's went to check it out. I took a stick about 3 meters long and tried to fling it into the forest but when it fell of the stick it bolted towards me and stopped about 1 meter from me as I had tried to back up quickly and fell on my ass.

After all that (I spoke no Thai at that time) the Thai's told my buddy who translated to me that that was the deadliest snake in Thailand called the "two step snake" and had I been biten, being on Koh Chang I would be deat withing a few minutes. I then started studying snakes here.

Now I live behind the snake farm here in Pattaya and our building gets snakes that have escaped all the time making homes around out water pump just outside the buildings front door. They send the catchers to come and get them and it always turns into a social gathering and now that I speak Thai I know what to do if I'm bit.

I'm not saying it is an easy decision that after you are bit that you try and grab the snake and twist it's head until it dies but any person who knows snakes if they were bit by one of the deadly ones would atempt to catch it however it's mostly Thai's that get bit and they can already identify the snake and explain in Thai to the doctors.

Also I was in Queen Sirikit hospital at the time of the recent floods when they were bringing in literally hundreds of people with snake bites and learned even more durring that time.

One guy I know (huge farang) was once taken by a Python and it was wrapping it's self around him but he was seasoned and managed to slide his arm between the snake and his body (elbow out) because he knew that if a Pythong heres a bone break they do not want the victom and imediately release. He was very lucky.

I have also been hunting for King Cobra many times with my Thai gf's brother and friends and learned even more from them. Hence the name of my Motorcycle Club "Cobra Ryders"

'two step snake' - get bit, take 2 steps, your dead.

Bit of a myth really 'cos that would rarely happen (unless you got bit 2ft away from the edge of a cliff..)

the name is usually associated with Banded Krait.

In the emergency room of BPH and Pattaya International if you just look up on the shelf that surrounds the emerg room you will see the snakes. This is why when you are in any tropical country that has poisones snakes, if you get bit you are supposed to try and catch the snake...

You sure that wasn't the dining room or gift shop where you saw all those bottles of snake?

'two step snake' - get bit, take 2 steps, your dead.

Bit of a myth really 'cos that would rarely happen (unless you got bit 2ft away from the edge of a cliff..)

the name is usually associated with Banded Krait.

When I was stationed in Vietnam the Green Viper was referred to as the 'two stepper'. When transferred to Thailand the Banded Krait was referred to as the 'two stepper'.

Yes the one I encountered was the "red headed Krait" on Koh Chang.

To the guy who keeps asking for links you might be interested in checking this out. http://www.thailandsnakes.com/

There is no 101 dealing with snakes but I have in my mind what to do when I get bit and I will try to keep the snake and bring it to the hospital with me.

Years ago the only Hospital or clinic on Koh Chang was on the East side far away from all the tourist sites and the roads were not so good to travel on so your chances of survival were lower after a deadly snake bite

To the guy who keeps asking for links you might be interested in checking this out. http://www.thailandsnakes.com/

There is no 101 dealing with snakes but I have in my mind what to do when I get bit and I will try to keep the snake and bring it to the hospital with me.

Years ago the only Hospital or clinic on Koh Chang was on the East side far away from all the tourist sites and the roads were not so good to travel on so your chances of survival were lower after a deadly snake bite

I am the guy that keeps asking for the link. The one you provided is nice, but it does not address the question.

I will ask you clearly one more time. Can you provide a link to a creditable site that supports your statement that: "if you get bit you are supposed to try and catch the snake even if it means getting bit again". I am not asking for your extended ramblings, just a site that supports your dangerous contention.

Your "advice" is dangerous, wrong and foolhardy, and is against every practice on what to do if you are bitten by a snake that I can find.

Here are examples from reasonable sites that show your "advice" is simply wrong:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/snakebite/page5_em.htm

"Prevent a second bite or a second victim. Do not try to catch the snake as this can lead to additional victims or bites."

and

"Identify or be able to describe the snake, but only if it can be done without significant risk for a second bite or a second victim"

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetailsKids.aspx?p=335&np=288&id=1647

"Do not try to catch the snake. Other people might get bitten too! "

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw226

"It is important to get a snakebite victim away from the snake as quickly as possible. It is not necessary to identify the snake -- trying to catch or kill the snake will likely result in someone else being bitten. "

http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/australian_snakes.html

"Do not try to catch the snake"

Are those clear enough for you?

I am the guy that keeps asking for the link. The one you provided is nice, but it does not address the question.

I will ask you clearly one more time. Can you provide a link to a creditable site that supports your statement that: "if you get bit you are supposed to try and catch the snake even if it means getting bit again". I am not asking for your extended ramblings, just a site that supports your dangerous contention.

Your "advice" is dangerous, wrong and foolhardy, and is against every practice on what to do if you are bitten by a snake that I can find.

Here are examples from reasonable sites that show your "advice" is simply wrong:

http://www.emedicine...te/page5_em.htm

"Prevent a second bite or a second victim. Do not try to catch the snake as this can lead to additional victims or bites."

and

"Identify or be able to describe the snake, but only if it can be done without significant risk for a second bite or a second victim"

http://www.cyh.com/H...&np=288&id=1647

"Do not try to catch the snake. Other people might get bitten too! "

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/uw226

"It is important to get a snakebite victim away from the snake as quickly as possible. It is not necessary to identify the snake -- trying to catch or kill the snake will likely result in someone else being bitten. "

http://www.outback-a...ian_snakes.html

"Do not try to catch the snake"

Are those clear enough for you?

So if you are "Mr. Snake-bite" himself why would you ask me? For 1 you are ignorant and I wouldn't help you even if I saw you half way down a snakes's belly. And secondly, you deal with it the way you believe and I will deal with it the way I find fit.

How do you think my buddy got the idea to slide his arm between the Python and himself to save his life? From Googling "Snake death prevention 101"? No, he knew by listening to what the locals told him.