How's The Weather

JimmyGreaves

Just have a few chang and chill out!!!! cold.gif

jflundy.

Don't believe anything you read about the weather forecasts.

In over 40 years of flying airplanes for a living all over the western hemisphere I have learned not to trust any forecast extending further that 48 hours.

Case in point. Here in Khao Lak, which is 100 km north of Phuket, (yes Virginia there is a Khao Lak even though the Travel community refuses to acknowlede it ) there has not been a cloud in the sky since Thursday, belying the forcast which called for thunderstorms and heavy rain over the weekend. It had been unusually cool and wet this December here though. :D

Meterology is an art not a science. More an educated guess. Good weather has an 80% correct predictability rate, bad weather less than 20%. In the tropics the weather tends to be more stable and therefore more predictable, especially during the dry seasons. The weatherbrains will then play the same record over and over, injecting some possible veriants. :D

I remember quite a few aviation forecasts for places in the northeast of the US: Generally clear, visibility unlimited, occasionally ceilings less that 10,000 feet, with a chance of ceilings 300 feet or less in thunderstorms with visisblities less than 2 miles. Now that covers all the bases, doesn't it ? :o

I have said that, should I ever want to go back to college I would try for a degree in meterology. Where else could one keep a job, if you're wrong 50 % of the time. :D

Come on over. Chances are good your daughter will get her tan.

Regards, the ol' Captain, happily retired.

Just have a few chang and chill out!!!! cold.gif

jflundy.

Don't believe anything you read about the weather forecasts.

In over 40 years of flying airplanes for a living all over the western hemisphere I have learned not to trust any forecast extending further that 48 hours.

Case in point. Here in Khao Lak, which is 100 km north of Phuket, (yes Virginia there is a Khao Lak even though the Travel community refuses to acknowlede it ) there has not been a cloud in the sky since Thursday, belying the forcast which called for thunderstorms and heavy rain over the weekend. It had been unusually cool and wet this December here though. :D

Meterology is an art not a science. More an educated guess. Good weather has an 80% correct predictability rate, bad weather less than 20%. In the tropics the weather tends to be more stable and therefore more predictable, especially during the dry seasons. The weatherbrains will then play the same record over and over, injecting some possible veriants. :D

I remember quite a few aviation forecasts for places in the northeast of the US: Generally clear, visibility unlimited, occasionally ceilings less that 10,000 feet, with a chance of ceilings 300 feet or less in thunderstorms with visisblities less than 2 miles. Now that covers all the bases, doesn't it ? :o

I have said that, should I ever want to go back to college I would try for a degree in meterology. Where else could one keep a job, if you're wrong 50 % of the time. :D

Come on over. Chances are good your daughter will get her tan.

Regards, the ol' Captain, happily retired.

Yea TAF's are famous for telling you what the is like at the moment.

Everyone's just trying to cover his/her a$$.

Southwest airlines is now being sued for allowing an airplane to land on a snow covered runway.

Up in Alaska 737's are landing on snow covered runways 6-8 months out of the year.

That said weather in Phuket is fine and dandy! Now go put on some sunscreen!