Cost To Transfer Green Book To New Owner For Imported Bike?

I'm just wondering how much it costs to transfer an imported bike's green book to a new owner?

The guy I bought my hornet from used a local insurance agent to do the transfer. I went to see her and she told me it would around 6,500THB. I told her that was very expensive and she said this is because it's a "bike bike"

I was expecting her to add a little money for herself and that's fine, I don't expect anything for free - however I thought it would only be a couple of thousand bike to transfer the green book across.

She said it would be about a month because the bike registration is based in Bangkok and the documents need to go there. This is a bit strange because the previous owner lives around the corner for me, so surely it would have been transferred to the local Suratthani/Samui office when he had his named added last year?

Any information would be appreciated.

official price is 100thb for every 10,000thb declared sale value ;)

I have seen a transfer last week of a bike ,sold for 60k and declared at 20k ,200thb sales tax paid and no questions asked

she is ripping you off for sure unless you paid 650,000 for the old hornet :D

The green book is legit. Just need to transfer it to my name. I'll go to the local transport office tomorrow and do it myself. I thought she was going to charge me a thousand baht or two for doing it - which would have been worth it to save me the hassle as I work everyday.

If the bike is registered in Bangkok it will take you longer to do the transfer and you need some extra documents. Also, you might not be able to transfer the bike at all if the greenbook is not right. Which is probably what the women suspected (as most people would just do the transfer themselves if the greenbook was ok) and was planning on using the 6500 to make people "overlook" the problems with the documents.

Edited by madjbs

Hmmmm... I'm a little concerned about this. I've done some checking and the green book isn't straight. The engine number/frame number match the green book which is fine. The number of cylinders match. The age of the bike matches.

However, the book is recycled. It's from a CBR250RR. I can tell this because the frame number belongs to this bike and not a hornet.

I'm not sure what to do with this. The guy I bought it from registered the green book in his name last year with no problem, as did the two owners before him.

Do I risk going to the local transport office and doing this myself?

It will depend on the individual office if they will transfer it easily or not, some will some won't. People do get dodgy books transferred at the stricter offices but it takes time, contacts and money, and one day they will stop letting it happen. Looks like the women you asked knew what she was talking about after all....

For what it's worth, I would avoid any bike with a dodgy book unless it was very very cheap, you might end up loosing it, or worse at some point in the future.

Edited by madjbs

It can be done either way. The local office can do it, but they will have to change the province of registration which is a longer process and involves extra checks on the bike. My guess is your office won't allow this bike to be registered/transferred, which is why the women you asked said she would have to send the documents to the Bangkok office to get it transferred, which would allow it to keep it's Bangkok registration. You won't be able to send the documents off to Bangkok by yourself, it needs someone to be there to do it and the bike is supposed to be there too, officially at least.

Edited by madjbs

Well then she would be doing it through the Surat Thani office. I have heard that provincial offices do have to wait for documents from Bangkok or something like that, and that it can take a long time even for legit bikes. I have only done it the other way around, from the provinces back to Bangkok, which supposedly is quicker. You could try doing it yourself, you need all the usual documents plus an extra Letter of Attorney from the previous owner allowing you to change the province and the actual form for changing the province. Alternatively, just ask a different agent, or better still avoid bikes with dodgy books. Any bike with a grey book is seriously devalued these days, you would be crazy to pay over 150,000 for anything with one in my opinion.

Edited by madjbs

Someone here, not me, came up with a nice little safeguard in situations like this or for that matter any purchase of second-hand bikes... pay the money after the title has been changed and you have in your hand the green book with everything changed to your name.

Someone here, not me, came up with a nice little safeguard in situations like this or for that matter any purchase of second-hand bikes... pay the money after the title has been changed and you have in your hand the green book with everything changed to your name.

thats the safest way,bring all the cash to the DLT and do the deal there

(all the better if hes thai )

if the bike is legit he should have no problems with it

What about if the book can't be processed at that office and needs to be sent to Bangkok with estimated processing time of 30 days.

Im my experience ,they will not process a transfer in ANY office without having a quick look at the bike ,

usually just take a scraping of the engine numbers on a piece of masking tape and stick it to a form

and make sure it hasnt changed colour etc

they are supposed to check brakes and lights and indicators but most places dont bother

i would just go to the DLT and give it a try. Mostly in the end they doesnt check anything expect the matching number bike - book. There have been many posts were ppl woried about something before going to the DLT i think 95% woried for nothing.... In the end there is still the option to go to another DLT and there are many :P

i would just go to the DLT and give it a try. Mostly in the end they doesnt check anything expect the matching number bike - book. There have been many posts were ppl woried about something before going to the DLT i think 95% woried for nothing.... In the end there is still the option to go to another DLT and there are many tongue.png

but this is a dodgy bike/book

most of the others were worried about such things as whether their racing exhaust would be allowed to stay on the bike etc

i would just go to the DLT and give it a try. Mostly in the end they doesnt check anything expect the matching number bike - book. There have been many posts were ppl woried about something before going to the DLT i think 95% woried for nothing.... In the end there is still the option to go to another DLT and there are many tongue.png

This ^ ^

Just take everything you have with you, they will soon tell you if you need anything else. Just don't take the bike or leave it round the corner somewhere.

I will add though, if you think the green book is illegal then 6500B sounds a good deal to make all your problems go away.

I will add though, if you think the green book is illegal then 6500B sounds a good deal to make all your problems go away.

Agree, agents/offices can do a transfer of ownership, even from foreign provinces, without "presenting" the bike at the DLT.

Only a copy of the frame number on masking tape (and a small amount of tea money) is needed..jap.gif

Well, 6.5 K is not cheap...but..if you don't have the connections (and a dodgy book), pay it.

Hmm, it seems "angryfarang" wasn't too successful to transfer ownership...or is it the previous owner?

http://classifieds.t...ike-159874.html

Yep, I can confirm....these dodgy books suck really

Quite the detective aren't you... clap2.gif Actually this is my old hornet I'm now selling (with proper green book)

The hornet I'm trying to transfer ownership on is my new one, http://www.bahtsold.com/en/view/honda-250-hornet-95720

A dodgy book in Chiang Mai will get you nowhere. They have a list of all imported bikes with model numbers and descriptions and the serial number sequences that go with it year by year. They will also take two or three photos of the bike before sending the paperwork off to where the bike is registered, and that's if there's no question about the book. I know this because I've been there. If the girl says she can do it for 6500 baht, I wouldn't question it, just do it. No doubt you already paid for the bike so you're stuck with it one way or the other.

Edited by Sojourner

A dodgy book in Chiang Mai will get you nowhere. They have a list of all imported bikes with model numbers and descriptions and the serial number sequences that go with it year by year. They will also take two or three photos of the bike before sending the paperwork off to where the bike is registered, and that's if there's no question about the book. I know this because I've been there. If the girl says she can do it for 6500 baht, I wouldn't question it, just do it. No doubt you already paid for the bike so you're stuck with it one way or the other.

a dodgy bike in bkk is even worse than one in another province IMO

far more likely to have problems and when they do ,its the most expensive place to get them sorted out

people up in esarn have been riding dodgy bikes for years and not been hassled at all

even if you get stopped up there ,the cops arent so greedy