Registering Us Marriage In Thailand

My wife and I were married in Miami nine years ago and we want to get it registered in Thailand before we move there after my retirement in another five years. Has anyone married a Thai national in the U.S. and then registered the marriage in Thailand? What is the procedure and what documents are required? Do we need to visit the U.S. Embassy? Is it better to do it in a large tourist center, like BKK or Pattaya, or is it just as easy to do at Amphur in Isaan? We would certainly benefit from you sharing your experiences with us.

Normally the procedure is as follows: You need to go to your embassy and have the marriage certificate certified as true. Next you have it transalted by a transaltion agency into Thai. When that is done, the documents and translation need to be certified by the Thai Foreign Ministry, Consular Department. When that is all done, you can go to any amphur in Thailand to have the marriage recorded in Thailand. Yes, it is easier to do that in an area where they are used to foreign marriages, instead of a small place.

In case of the US embassy other rules may apply because of US federal law. So contact hem if they can legalise the document.

It might be possible to do the legalisation in the US, with the Thai embassy certifying the wedding certificate. Contact the Thai embassy or a Thai General Consulate about this.

Normally the procedure is as follows: You need to go to your embassy and have the marriage certificate certified as true. Next you have it transalted by a transaltion agency into Thai. When that is done, the documents and translation need to be certified by the Thai Foreign Ministry, Consular Department. When that is all done, you can go to any amphur in Thailand to have the marriage recorded in Thailand. Yes, it is easier to do that in an area where they are used to foreign marriages, instead of a small place.

In case of the US embassy other rules may apply because of US federal law. So contact hem if they can legalise the document.

It might be possible to do the legalisation in the US, with the Thai embassy certifying the wedding certificate. Contact the Thai embassy or a Thai General Consulate about this.

My comment is based on reports on the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did this process of getting my marriage registered in Thailand. Here is my US Embassy affidavit experience.

First, make an appointment with US Embassy using the appointment system that you can find on their WEB site. Print out appointment confirmation page. Obtain a blank affidavit form (found on their WEB site) and fill out blank affidavit with the appropriate information and add “For the purpose to register my marriage in Thailand, I, <full name>, declare that I married <spouse full name> at <City, State, USA> on <date>.” Do NOT sign the affidavit!

Go to the US Embassy at appointment time/date. You will need to show your US passport at the front door. Need to give them your cell phone and any other electronic devices (key fob, etc). I also gave them my Thai drivers license to go with my belongings to prove they were mine but I don't think that is needed. Go inside to the US citizen services area. Stand in line in front of window 3 for queuing. Hand them your affidavit and the print out of the appointment which they will look at and hand back with a queue number. Then proceed to cashier for payment of affidavit which is $50 USD. They take US Dollar, Thai Baht (1600) or Credit Card. Credit Card will be charged in the US so best to have US Credit Card. They prefer US Cash if possible. After payment, hand affidavit, passport and payment receipt to window 6 and wait in sitting area. I had my marriage certificate with me but they didn't require it. For me, after about 50 minutes, I was told to initial and sign the affidavit which I did in blue ink. I then walked back to the front area and obtained my cell phone and other belongings.

I then turned right out of the Embassy and walked to a translation center. The place I went to charged 400 Baht for each page of translation, 1000 Baht service charge to deliver, process and pick up the affidavit from the Minister of Foreign Affairs and 400 Baht MFA legalization fee for a total of 1898 Baht (with VAT added). They wanted my name and address as shown on my work permit and house book for proper translation purpose. I didn’t have either with me so I told them I would scan them and send the information to them via email. They said they would translate the document in the afternoon and send me it via email for confirmation before sending it to the MFA. Paid the 1898 Baht, got a receipt and left.

Went home and scanned in the Work Permit pages that had my name and the company name. I also scanned in the blue house book page with the Thai address. I cropped the scanned image to just the information required and emailed it to the translation service. The agency sent the affidavit to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and it was returned 3 days later.

Edited by Silurian
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I just did this process of getting my marriage registered in Thailand. Here is my US Embassy affidavit experience.

First, make an appointment with US Embassy using the appointment system that you can find on their WEB site. Print out appointment confirmation page. Obtain a blank affidavit form (found on their WEB site) and fill out blank affidavit with the appropriate information and add “For the purpose to register my marriage in Thailand, I, <full name>, declare that I married <spouse full name> at <City, State, USA> on <date>.” Do NOT sign the affidavit!

Go to the US Embassy at appointment time/date. You will need to show your US passport at the front door. Need to give them your cell phone and any other electronic devices (key fob, etc). I also gave them my Thai drivers license to go with my belongings to prove they were mine but I don't think that is needed. Go inside to the US citizen services area. Stand in line in front of window 3 for queuing. Hand them your affidavit and the print out of the appointment which they will look at and hand back with a queue number. Then proceed to cashier for payment of affidavit which is $50 USD. They take US Dollar, Thai Baht (1600) or Credit Card. Credit Card will be charged in the US so best to have US Credit Card. They prefer US Cash if possible. After payment, hand affidavit, passport and payment receipt to window 6 and wait in sitting area. I had my marriage certificate with me but they didn't require it. For me, after about 50 minutes, I was told to initial and sign the affidavit which I did in blue ink. I then walked back to the front area and obtained my cell phone and other belongings.

I then turned right out of the Embassy and walked to a translation center. The place I went to charged 400 Baht for each page of translation, 1000 Baht service charge to deliver, process and pick up the affidavit from the Minister of Foreign Affairs and 400 Baht MFA legalization fee for a total of 1898 Baht (with VAT added). They wanted my name and address as shown on my work permit and house book for proper translation purpose. I didn’t have either with me so I told them I would scan them and send the information to them via email. They said they would translate the document in the afternoon and send me it via email for confirmation before sending it to the MFA. Paid the 1898 Baht, got a receipt and left.

Went home and scanned in the Work Permit pages that had my name and the company name. I also scanned in the blue house book page with the Thai address. I cropped the scanned image to just the information required and emailed it to the translation service. The agency sent the affidavit to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and it was returned 3 days later.

I just returned and this advice worked like a charm. Although the local Amphur in Sahatsakhan didn't know what to do with this paperwork, the Amphur in Bang Lamung knew exactly what to do and there were no problems. Here is a tidbit for other U.S. citizens...the U.S. embassy does not authenticate your marriage certificate, so the affidavit is you only option. Thanks again, Silurian!

Out of curosity what is the benefit of registering your marriage in Thailand when already married overseas?

It makes the Thai government aware that you are married and makes it easier to obtain proof of teh marriage (in Thai language)..

If you want to have an extension of stay based on being married to a Thai national immigration now requires that the foreign marriage is registered at the amphur.