World 10 Longest Flights

yermanee

I did the Singapore - Newark flight a few times and that was 17-19 hours depending on which route you flew.. it was a great flight.. got rid of having to go East Coast USA to LA or SF so really saved time and on flight this long you actually did get some sleep.. of course in those days i was flying J class which helped.. believe similiar flights now by SIA are all J class.

cheers

There are more than those which are mentioned in the article. In the 70's and 80's I used to do London-Tokyo regularly via Anchorage or Moscow. The quickest you could do it was 17 and a half hours and on a bad day it would be in excess of 24. Just to add to the fun I used to get to my final destination of Hiroshima on the Bullet Train about 6 hours after reaching Tokyo. Hey Ho; such fun remembered !

Recently I returned to Florida flying Thai to LA and then a multitude of Delta flights that were constantly changing planes, destinations, schedules etc. bujt they got me there in less than a day and I'm crippled[ they had to take me to a hotel for an assisted hosing down and change passifier.gif . As screwed up as Delta is there is an efficient rerouting system.

coffee1.gif Yes, I did the Singapore Airlines Singapore to New York flight quite a few years ago...the one that did a short (about 2 hour as I recall) stopover in Frankfurt...but the same aircraft all the way. Not sure if they still have that flight...but the Singapore to Newark flight sounds similar.

The worst part was flying over Siberia with nothing but trees and snow to be seen for hours. And I had a window seat, too.

Will never do that again. I was young then and thought I could handle the flight. Now, in my 60's, I wouldn't even think about such a flight again. As it was, in my 40's, it basicaly wore me out.

That must have been somewhere around 1990 I guess...and was close to the limit of the range of most international passenger aircraft at that time.

licklips.gif

There are more than those which are mentioned in the article. In the 70's and 80's I used to do London-Tokyo regularly via Anchorage or Moscow. The quickest you could do it was 17 and a half hours and on a bad day it would be in excess of 24. Just to add to the fun I used to get to my final destination of Hiroshima on the Bullet Train about 6 hours after reaching Tokyo. Hey Ho; such fun remembered !

Obviously there are other longish flights.

The article however is for direct flights USA/Asia.

Did the high speed trains (TGV) a couple of times i.e. Paris/Brussels or Cologne. Great fun !!!

Yermaneejap.gif

Long flights don't bother me as long as I can walk around and watch movies. It's all the layovers and extra flights out of the middle of the US that kill me. You are doing well to get to BKK in under 30 hours.

Edited by ubonrthai
  • Like 1

Interesting....#2, Newark to Singapore is a further distance (over 10,000 miles) than #1, LA to Sing (9,500 miles) but Newark is half an hour longer. Is that because they go the other way around the planet and deal with different prevailing winds?

Longest I've endured was the Hong Kong to Toronto leg... about 15 hours. Brutal as it was...little Chinese lady beside me got up constantly (between tiger balm sessions) and then in Toronto they did everything short of a strip search. Not what you want to deal with after travelling for a good 21+ hours (BKK --> HK, layover, HK --> YYZ). I must have fit a profile...or maybe I looked baked on drugs because I hadn't slept in a couple of days. bah.gif

Interesting....#2, Newark to Singapore is a further distance (over 10,000 miles) than #1, LA to Sing (9,500 miles) but Newark is half an hour longer. Is that because they go the other way around the planet and deal with different prevailing winds?

Longest I've endured was the Hong Kong to Toronto leg... about 15 hours. Brutal as it was...little Chinese lady beside me got up constantly (between tiger balm sessions) and then in Toronto they did everything short of a strip search. Not what you want to deal with after travelling for a good 21+ hours (BKK --> HK, layover, HK --> YYZ). I must have fit a profile...or maybe I looked baked on drugs because I hadn't slept in a couple of days. bah.gif

The LA-Sing route is longer because the Newark-Sing flight takes the polar route. When Thai still had the direct JFK-BKK (violin.gif ) flight, it would go due north, over Vermont and Quebec.

Seven more days and I'm on TG 795, LAX-BKK but having it #3 on the list is no joy.

Did Bangkok to JFK direct nonstop on Thai Airways flying the Airbus A340 before the route was cancelled (flew in Dec 2006) . 18 Hours very long. Spent most of the time at the Galley at the back as in those days I was flying economy!

Very interesting route they went over the top of the world.

Edited by maprao

Did London to Cairns via Sydney and Brisbane in one go once. The total time in the air was 30 hours and my layovers added in a further 6 hours. This is still beaten by:

Bus - Buenos Aires to Rio Gallegos - 39 hours

Train - Moscow to Irkutsk - 5 days

The train I can cope with, but I have travelled an excessive amount of miles in my time on buses (almost all of South and Central America is achieved in buses) and I swear they are the work of Satan. Planes are better because you get more miles done with every painfully boring minute spent stuck in them.

Sadly, TG 794/795: BKK-LAX-BKK is to be discontinued in May; the last of the direct TG Thailand-USA flights. They claim that it does not run efficiently using current aircraft. It may be reinstated once the Boeing 777 comes into their fleet.

Current plans are the new BKK-LAX route will be thru Inchon.

I miss the old TG non-stop flights BKK-JFK-BKK. It was worth every baht to be able to get to Thailand without a stop. I now do the CX flights via HKG and since I'm in Chiang Mai that means 3 flights each way. the length of time on the plane doesn't matter. It's the layovers that suck.

I will be doing the HKG to Toronto direct flight in June, and back again 3 weeks later. (nonstop). I do not sleep on planes but end up watching every movie they have.

I have done the 14 hour Australia/USA many times, but my longest flight was 24 hours Melbourne to London.

longest flight i had. stuck in the middle seat between a fat central european sex tourist who had never heard of shower and a sub continental gentlemen who believed curry was a toothpaste and shower was a once yearly hindu festival of which he had not attended for a few years.

• Like 1

longest flight i had. stuck in the middle seat between a fat central european sex tourist who had never heard of shower and a sub continental gentlemen who believed curry was a toothpaste and shower was a once yearly hindu festival of which he had not attended for a few years.

And the other two were sitting there thinking who is this anally retentative judgemental git sitting in between us...how do you know the central european was a sex tourist ?....did he tell you ?

And the other two were sitting there thinking who is this anally retentative judgemental git sitting in between us...how do you know the central european was a sex tourist ?....did he tell you ?

i can only presume so, he asked me if i was going to pattaya too, and if i was we could share a taxi.

yes i am bit anally retentative and highly judgemental.

coffee1.gif Yes, I did the Singapore Airlines Singapore to New York flight quite a few years ago...the one that did a short (about 2 hour as I recall) stopover in Frankfurt...but the same aircraft all the way. Not sure if they still have that flight...but the Singapore to Newark flight sounds similar.

The worst part was flying over Siberia with nothing but trees and snow to be seen for hours. And I had a window seat, too.

Will never do that again. I was young then and thought I could handle the flight. Now, in my 60's, I wouldn't even think about such a flight again. As it was, in my 40's, it basicaly wore me out.

That must have been somewhere around 1990 I guess...and was close to the limit of the range of most international passenger aircraft at that time.

licklips.gif

SQ still operates SIN - FRA - JFK to this day. I believe this is the first US bound flight that leaves FRA every morning for the U.S. at something like 8:30 a.m.

However, SIN - FRA does not even come close to Siberia. It goes up via India/Pakistan/Middle East/Eastern Europe as always.

I took a similar flight, actually BKK-HKG-YVR-YYZ, which took 24 hours on a CP ticket many years ago. Now, when I have to go to the Canadian or US East Coast, I stop over in either North American West Coast or Europe for a few days. That's healthier than dealing with the long flight and the jet lag.

I have taken the BKK-LAX-BKK flight several times, with the return leg taking 18 hours (depending on winds). My schedule alternated between watching movies, eating/drinking, and sleeping. This was good after the exhausting business trip to the US. Of course, this was in J class, I wouldn't want to try this in eco.

interesting topic which raises a interesting question maybe....anyone ever tried to add up hours spent, during ones life, in air travel.

Trip to airport,lounge time, layovers and delays, waiting for luggage, customs etc etc...

Probably years for some of us!..scary...

...of course nowadays it is probably less than time spent f..ing around looking at a screen. lol