Tourist Police In Chiang Mai: Anybody Knows If They Realy Care...?

pisico

Do the Tourist Police in Chiang Mai really cares to help Farangs?

I rent an apartment from a westerner in Chiang Mai and last Monday (May 26) at around noon, while taking a shower I heard the door bell ring. Soaking wet as I was I asked myself who could be as none of my friends had called alerting me to their visit. I continued on with my shower. Ten minutes later, I had finished showering and was on the hall way on my way to the bedroom I heard a key being inserted into both locks. I had the security hasp on and the intruder could not come in. When I peeked through the opening of the door I was shocked to see my landlord key in hand trying to come in. I quizzed him on the reason he was attempting to trespass and invade my privacy. I reminded him that we had a 24 hour clause notice in our contract and that my rent was more than 15 days from being due. He responded that he had the right to come in any time he chose or wanted. What are you trying to do, I asked again.

I can come in whenever I want. was his adamant reply and blurted before leaving: You will hear from me!

Obviously my wife (who was not at home when this happened) was outraged and in fear for her safety.

Needless to say that less than an hour later I had replaced the deadbolt and placed a steel bell on the door knob secured by a hefty high security padlock.

I intend to file a complaint (to create precedent) or a police report. Obviously the regular police is ill prepared in this city to protect Farangs. Someone suggested the Tourist Police.

I read that only 2 of the six members of such police are officers. English still seems to be their handicap to handle problems involving foreigners.

My questions are:

1- Has anyone, after contacting the Tourist Police in Chiang Mai, had any positive response to their plight?

2- Do they usually give lip service and no follow up action after the complaint/report is filed?

3- What is the closest police station to the Kad Suan Keao (Central Plaza) on Huay Keao Rd. and the Chiang Mai Orchid hotel?

I will appreciate any input and/or information regarding their experience with the tourist police in Chiang Mai.

Maybe they are truly interested in helping Farangs and to the limit of their capabilities, they could be of assistance to me (and others) who could some day be in this situation.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Please, PM me if you want more detailed info on the trespasser and/or specific advise.

Edited by pisico

"Soaking wet as I was I asked myself who could be as none of my friends had called alerting me to their visit. I continued on with my shower".

You only check who is at the door if they have phoned in advance?

What if it was an emergency?

Doubt very much if the Tourist Police or the BIB would be interested, but you have the right to file a complaint. What would you want them to do afterwards?

Edited by uptheos

Sounds like a misunderstanding to me and an overreaction maybe he did not see you around and thought you had left the country and he was just checking his property .

Have you sat down with your landlord and spoke about it talking is normally the best solution first if you can't solve anything the you should go to the police imho.

• Like 1

Sounds like a misunderstanding to me and an overreaction maybe he did not see you around and thought you had left the country and he was just checking his property .

Have you sat down with your landlord and spoke about it talking is normally the best solution first if you can't solve anything the you should go to the police imho.

I myself may have a misunderstanding. Is you rent due in 15 days? Or, is your rent already 15 days late?

Exception of entering a premise is different other countries with very defined tenancy laws, and even if previously agreed upon it's more flexible. You just have to roll with it the best you can.

I have told my landlord that I will be moving when I find a more suitable house, and I am in no hurry what's ever, but twice this week people showed up unannounced to view my house. I was leaving for dinner Tuesday night and 3 couples on 3 bikes show up, where I assume one Thai lady was acting as a referring agent, walk in the yard past the gate and asked to view the house. Even though they were polite, and I was polite in saying I was already late leaving to meet something, they showed a lot of disappointment and frustration at being there and not being able to see my rather messy little house. Yesterday, myself again leaving late for a meeting, 2 farangs about my age show up with a real estate agent and chat for a few minutes outside my gate. I was dressing and had decided to allow them in quickly if they ask, but before they left they agreed to come back and view the house on the weekend. Too bad no one will be home and there is no one they can get a key from. Both of those expats could have easily viewed the house if a little common sense was used (I'm not shy with giving people my cell number)

usually the contract will state something to to effect of after the 3rd of the month you pay a late fee and after the 7th or 10th(check you contract) you are in breach and relinquish all rights to the apt. As much as you want to fight this, i have to assume that you are the root cause of the whole issue.

but in the end, I think 'rakchiangmai' has got it to a tee. The landlord probably is assuming that due to your late/non payment, you may try to run. Your best bet is to try to have a conversation with the owner. Involving the police/law will work against you as you still have not paid.

My apologies Awk, I am a sad respondent that seems incapable of understanding the fairly simple text... please forgive me?

usually the contract will state something to to effect of after the 3rd of the month you pay a late fee and after the 7th or 10th(check you contract) you are in breach and relinquish all rights to the apt. As much as you want to fight this, i have to assume that you are the root cause of the whole issue.

but in the end, I think 'rakchiangmai' has got it to a tee. The landlord probably is assuming that due to your late/non payment, you may try to run. Your best bet is to try to have a conversation with the owner. Involving the police/law will work against you as you still have not paid.

1) Why ask the op if he as a contract? The op already said he has a contract ("we had a 24 hour notice in our contract").

2) Why ask the op if the contract says the landlord can enter without notice? The op said "we had a 24 hour notice in our contract".

3) Why assume the landlord might not have seen the op around and would think him to have left the country? Certainly the reaction from the landlord as quoted by the op gives little indication that this was the reason for landlord trying to enter the apartment.

4) Why assume the op has left the country due to his "late/non payment"? The op said the rent is "more than 15 days from being due".

5) Assuming the op engaged in some sort of special behaviour that should give the landlord reason to enter? Well, that's just classic TV. ;-)

I'm not sure if it's humorous or sad that most of the respondents seem incapable of understanding the fairly simple text written by the op before responding with less than useful information.

Unfortunately I'll have to side with the people thinking the police will care nothing about this. Myself I don't appreciate nosy landlords and would look for a different place to stay, at the same time being a bit worried about getting my deposit back.

Okay, nobody seems to have played devil's advocate yet...

Put yourself in the landlord's shoes for a moment. Rang the bell, no answer, waited 10 minutes, tried to let himself in.

Then he was "confronted" by you. From your wording it sounds like you got a little aggressive. Now the landlord is in a tricky situation - first, he's embarrassed about getting "caught" and second, he's facing an aggressor.

Most people in that situation would go on the defensive and his (over?) reaction likely because he was caught embarrassed, off guard and on the back foot. Quite understandable really.

Note, I am not defending him - what he tried to do was plain wrong. Nor am I criticising you - I might have reacted the same way. I'm just saying it seems to me, the situation could've been handled very differently and you may even have a clue as to why he was trying to enter.

Like I said - I might have reacted the same way depending what kind of mood he found me in - but knowing myself I think I would have more likely bit my lip, smiled, said "Sorry to keep you waiting I was in the shower", and politely asked him what he wanted...

I think you can probably see how that might have gone down differently to "quizzing" him about "trespass" and "invasion".

Edited by bobl

I think it's all an unfortunate misunderstanding. Involving the police would be the wrong action, not just because it is unlikely they even file such a case, but because it would further escalate the conflict.

Landlords actually do have the right to enter rented premises for important reasons. The sound of a shower/water without anyone answering the door can easily be construed as such a reason.

This isn't Germany. The laws in Thailand are clearly pro-landlord. It is better to work this out using diplomacy.

Cheers, CMExpat

I can understand your problem. He obviously had no reason if that is all he could come up with is it is his rights. Perhaps a different approach would have averted the trouble

As for the answer to your question it would seem no one has any experience just negative views of the Thai Police and Tourist Police.

I myself have had no experience but a friend who lives in the building went to them and there was not a lot they could do for him. He would have got the same response from Police any where. One did offer to do some thing for money.

At any rate I digress he has from time to time had ligament complaints in his eyes any how. He would threaten the manager that he was going to the Tourist Police and half the time the manager would back down.

Point is the manager was scared of them so they must have some clout. Most of it was silly things that some old men can blow up into mountains.

You might want to just locate them and ask them your self. I know it could all be a exercise in futility or you might learn some thing.

Agree that it would be a good idea to contact the landlord, point out the language in the lease agreement about 24 hr notice being required for entry and ask why the landlord was entering.

If that landlord owns other units in the same building, then a little talk with the condo manager might be helpful. Condo mgr probably won't be able to do anything, but he should know in case this landlord tries this with other tenants. Perhaps the landlord is starting to "lose it" mentally.

In any event, re-keying the locks or using a secondary lock is always the best practice when moving into a new rental. You just don't know who may have gotten keys from the previous residents.