U.S. jobless claims reach lowest level since April 2008

News_Editor

U.S. jobless claims reach lowest level since April 2008

2012-03-30 07:37:53 GMT+7 (ICT)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (BNO NEWS) -- Initial claims for unemployment insurance in the United States dropped to 359,000 in the week ending March 24, which is the country's lowest in four years, the U.S. Labor Department (DOL) reported on Thursday.

The DOL report showed that the weekly numbers, which represent a decrease of about 5,000 when compared to the previous week, is the lowest since April 2008. In addition, the week's release also reflects the annual revision to the weekly unemployment claims seasonal adjustment factors from 2007 forward.

The 4-week moving average was 365,000, a decrease of 3,500 from the previous week's revised average of 382,500, the report said, also showing that the number of unemployed with unemployment insurance for the week ending March 17 was 2.6 percent, a decrease of 0.1 percent compared to the previous week.

There was also a decrease of 41,000 in the number of workers who claimed benefits under regular state unemployment programs, totaling 3,340,000 during the week ending March 17, according to the latest DOL report. The 4-week moving average was 3,387,750, a decrease of 21,750 from the preceding week's revised average of 3,409,500.

In the unadjusted, advance number of actual initial claims under state programs, the DOL report only showed a slight decrease of 33, as it totaled 319,349 in the week ending March 24. There were 357,457 initial claims in the comparable week in 2011.

The highest insured unemployment rates in the week ending March 17 were in Alaska (6.0), Pennsylvania (4.6), Rhode Island (4.4), Montana (4.3), Oregon (4.3), Wisconsin (4.3), New Jersey (4.2), Puerto Rico (4.2), Idaho (4.1), Connecticut (4.0), Illinois (4.0), and Michigan (4.0).

The largest increases in initial claims for the week ending March 17 were in Florida (+1,876), Hawaii (+469), Mississippi (+405), New Mexico (+292), and Iowa (+278), while the largest decreases were in New York (-3,103), Texas (-1,787), Pennsylvania (-1,606), California (-1,603), and Ohio (-1,419).

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-03-30

Obama would be nowhere without the use of smoke and mirrors

" Same old, same old from the BLS: with initial claims expected to print at 350K, we get a number that is just better, or 348K - supposedly the best since February 2008, however one which will be revised to about 351K next week, hence a miss, in line with the perpetual +3K upward statistical bias each and every week demonstrated by the BLS, which is no longer even funny. To be sure, last week's 351K was just raised to 353K, just so that headlines can announce a 5K drop in claims week over week. Continuing claims printed at 3.352MM, down from an upward revised 3.361MM. And yes, initial claims are lowest since February 2008... Until one adds the continuing claims, EUCs and Extended Claims as seen in the chart below. The 99 week cliff saw a total of 18K drop from total rolls: these are now 1MM lower compared to a year ago.

Combined initial, continuing, EUC and Extended Claims. Not the lowest since February 2008."

Edited by midas
  • Like 1

...and the official unemployment rate stands at 8.3% with the long term unemployed and underemployed being nearer 16%.

Yep, he's doing a cracker jack job. Three years in and still nothing happening.

See my signature below and think before you vote.

• Like 1

...and the official unemployment rate stands at 8.3% with the long term unemployed and underemployed being nearer 16%.

What makes you think people voted for Obama to prove they weren't racists? They voted for Obama because he was tons better than McCain/Palin.
  • Like 1

What makes you think people voted for Obama to prove they weren't racists? They voted for Obama because he was tons better than McCain/Palin.

Do you honestly believe he obtained all those independent voters because of his vast resume and worldly career in business? Part of his vote was McCain but a large portion were voters that drank the Kool Aid and voted for the half of him that is a minority just to prove they weren't racists.

I never did worry about his race. I worried because of his background and the fact that he is nothing more than a sleazy politician from the Chicago political underworld.

I'm even more worried now after seeing what he has done in the past three years. The good thing with this election is he won't be able to hide his record as he did in 2008.

He has a mixed record. It is a reasonable record to run on, especially with economic news trending positively. He got Bin Laden, Bush didn't. No, I actually don't think white people voted for Obama to prove they aren't racists. They could have not voted for him and lied about it if they just wanted to impress their friends. Obama is heavily favored now but things could still go wrong for him, such as a war with Iran.

Edited by Jingthing

The Ron Paul contingent have been very quiet. Might be because the old loon has sort of been pushed aside. LOL.

The democratic senate have gone without any budget at all for something like 3 years, so not sure about their coherent fiscal policy, but at least Ron Paul seems to be out of the picture, so there is some good news. tongue.png

• Like 1

The Ron Paul contingent have been very quiet. Might be because the old loon has sort of been pushed aside. LOL.

The democratic senate have gone without any budget at all for something like 3 years, so not sure about their coherent fiscal policy, but at least Ron Paul seems to be out of the picture, so there is some good news. tongue.png

It might be worth pointing out the 2013 budget submitted by Obama has been voted down in the House by a vote of 414-0. Since there are not 414 Republicans it would seem the Representatives from his own party have little faith in his budgetary skills as well.

He had a previous budget proposal voted down in the Senate by a vote of 97-0.

The Senate has not passed a budget for nearly 1100 days. Tiger Woods has won two golf tournaments since the Democratic controlled Senate has passed a budget.

Nope. Nothing to see here. Move along to the next election...just don't pay any attention to the facts.

• Like 1

Actually, his economic policies are the most sane of all his policies - the trouble is having set off on a Keynesian road to ruin the choices are stark, it's either cold turkey for a long time, or just postpone the inevitable complete collapse until it happens off your watch. I wonder which path a politician would choose?

He has a mixed record. It is a reasonable record to run on, especially with economic news trending positively. He got Bin Laden, Bush didn't. No, I actually don't think white people voted for Obama to prove they aren't racists. They could have not voted for him and lied about it if they just wanted to impress their friends. Obama is heavily favored now but things could still go wrong for him, such as a war with Iran.

Let me point out a couple of things in your post.

In the first place, Obama did not "get" Osama. The US Military got Osama after he was located and run to ground by the CIA and US Military over a ten year period. All Obama can take credit for is getting out of the way and letting the professionals run with the ball and, despite what Biden claims, the raid was NOT the most "audacious" military action in the last 500 years. I doubt it would rank in the top 1,000 most audacious military actions since the year 1512. Biden's recent boast did more to marginalize the operation than to glorify Obama.

Secondly, Obama is not heavily favored right now. He has a slim 1-2 point lead in some polls and a slim 1-2 point deficit in others. It's anybody's game and I think may come down to the Vice Presidential candidate the Republicans pick. Romney will be the Republican candidate and his running mate may be crucial.

• Like 1

He's creaming Romney in the swing states. Obama gave the GO order on Bin Laden with the knowledge there was a good chance he wasn't even there. If that operation had turned out to be a fiasco, which it well could have, Obama would have paid big. So he deserves FULL credit with interest, dude, and you know it too.

He's creaming Romney in the swing states. Obama gave the GO order on Bin Laden with the knowledge there was a good chance he wasn't even there. If that operation had turned out to be a fiasco, which it well could have, Obama would have paid big. So he deserves FULL credit with interest, dude, and you know it too.

did you hear some of the questions from the Supreme Court justices

on the health care bill? There was Nancy Pelosi saying a couple of weeks ago

it was rock solidgiggle.gif

its toast and Obama couldn't even get that right

did you hear some of the questions from the Supreme Court justices

on the health care bill? There was Nancy Pelosi saying a couple of weeks ago

it was rock solidgiggle.gif

its toast and Obama couldn't even get that right

The bill might go down. The concept was Romney's idea. If it goes down, it's time to run on what should have been done in the first place -- single payer health care. That's 100 percent constitutional.

I've seldom found the prospect of war more attractive. cowboy.gif

I agree with all you said

I am also pretty sure everyone commenting on this thread thus far does not live in the USA...I do

My sig says it all wink.png

Who cares? Americans are Americans. Its disgusting to come on an expat forum to imply expat Americans don't have a full stake in America's politics and future.

Maybe that garbage will wash on loveitorleavitredneckheaven.com, but not here, partner!

Edited by Jingthing

If Americans think a follower of a cult wearing protective undergarments adorned with masonic symbols is the holder of a clear fiscal policy, then they are in for a shock. When Mitt's great grandfather fled to Mexico so that he could retain his 4 wives and not have to recognize the authority of the US government the bad seed was sown. Former Gov. Romney was obliged to adopt some policies that were the antithesis of core Republican values. Die hard elephant riders might just find that Mitt will have sold his soul to the highest bidder to get to the White House and they will get some nice Massachusetts style social spending, debt and misery.

I agree with all you said

I am also pretty sure everyone commenting on this thread thus far does not live in the USA...I do

My sig says it all wink.png

LOL, coming from a guy that loves his Israel bashing mideast threads

• Like 1

Speak of the devil. I agree with this. Because of that, I'm not sure whether to cheer for Obamacare to win or lose in the court. Losing might be winning in the long run. I like Obamacare but I LOVE single payer. So does Obama. He compromised and tried to do a ROMNEY and see what's happening:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/supreme-court-could-open-door-for-single-payer-health-care/2012/03/29/gIQAyNJtjS_story.html

I’m talking about a single-payer health-care system. If the Supreme Court strikes down Obamacare, a single-payer system will go from being politically impossible to being, in the long run, fiscally inevitable.

BTW do you & your crew really need to turn every <deleted> thread into an Israel thread?

Have you noticed hardly anyone likes to even post here anymore?

Exactly. Its boring trying to explain and wake people up who have had their head buried in the sand for their whole life.

• Like 1

Speak of the devil. I agree with this. Because of that, I'm not sure whether to cheer for Obamacare to win or lose in the court. Losing might be winning in the long run. I like Obamacare but I LOVE single payer. So does Obama. He compromised and tried to do a ROMNEY and see what's happening:

http://www.washingto...JtjS_story.html

I’m talking about a single-payer health-care system. If the Supreme Court strikes down Obamacare, a single-payer system will go from being politically impossible to being, in the long run, fiscally inevitable.

Total collapse, in the long run, is fiscally inevitable.