Running Out Of Disc Space - Windows 7(C:)

UbonOz

I have run TreeSize.

What do I do now?

Besides Windows, what are the big folders?

19,111.5MB - Users

Go a bit further into that "Users". Particularly, you will find Music and Picture folders there that you can move.

Also, check the link above about moving User folders.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow,

sounds like you have successfully negotiated a steep learning curve to be able to shrink a non-C drive.

Should be easy to let C gobble up the space you freed up in F. Try opening windows explorer (NOT internet explorer) by clicking 'Start' on on bottom left of screen. Type in 'computer management' and hit <enter> to open. That should bring up a new window. On the bottom right of that window, there should be a rectangular section with a chain of squares (showing how your hard disk has been partitioned). With the mouse, right-click on the ...© drive. An option should be available 'extend volume'. If you (left) click on that, it should ask you something like "do you want to use the unallocated space?" Go for it! AA

By the way, looking at some spec.s for your machine, it should last you into the next world (at least, compared to my machine). For example, you can increase your RAM up to 8Gb. I guess it was set up with three partitions - the C drive basically being only for your Win7 operating system, you are meant to store everything in D or F drives (but no-one showed you how to do that...).

Don't despair, there is user-friendly assistance out here from thaivisa-ers who have also been brought back from the edge of computing frustration/insanity by such help...AA

Wow,

sounds like you have successfully negotiated a steep learning curve to be able to shrink a non-C drive.

Should be easy to let C gobble up the space you freed up in F. Try opening windows explorer (NOT internet explorer) by clicking 'Start' on on bottom left of screen. Type in 'computer management' and hit <enter> to open. That should bring up a new window. On the bottom right of that window, there should be a rectangular section with a chain of squares (showing how your hard disk has been partitioned). With the mouse, right-click on the ...© drive. An option should be available 'extend volume'. If you (left) click on that, it should ask you something like "do you want to use the unallocated space?" Go for it! AA

Thanks, I will try shortly, just doing a defrag.

Will let you know when I succeed.

By the way, looking at some spec.s for your machine, it should last you into the next world (at least, compared to my machine). For example, you can increase your RAM up to 8Gb. I guess it was set up with three partitions - the C drive basically being only for your Win7 operating system, you are meant to store everything in D or F drives (but no-one showed you how to do that...).

Don't despair, there is user-friendly assistance out here from thaivisa-ers who have also been brought back from the edge of computing frustration/insanity by such help...AA

I was going to take my computer to a shop but it can be hard getting what is required with the language barrier.

TV ForumLand has been so good in many ways to get a good result.

Hope this works, what you have suggested, I do like my laptop.

I have iPad2 as well, it is great.

Bought a Samsung Galaxy Mini a couple of weeks ago, it is very good when you are not at home, very compact.

I only have Win7 basic/toy/shitkicker whatever it is called, but I believe that with Win7 home or premium you can 'look' into other partitions on your comp.

OK, if you want to get your machine flying, consider checking some of those suggestions that can be googled 'how to make my computer boot faster', 'services that can be switched off in Win 7'.

Also, my Win7 seems to be well-serviced with the (free) Microsoft Security Essentials (google 'MSE') anti-virus program. Only run one antivirus/malware program, more than one will slow you down. If you have, like, a three-month free subscription for Norton, use it up, get rid of the bastard, then install MSE. Update it everytime you log on...

If you want to get really antsy, consider putting a linux distribution on a partition in your comp... AA

Wow,

Extend is not highlighted only shrink is highlighted.

I only have Win7 basic/toy/shitkicker whatever it is called, but I believe that with Win7 home or premium you can 'look' into other partitions on your comp.

OK, if you want to get your machine flying, consider checking some of those suggestions that can be googled 'how to make my computer boot faster', 'services that can be switched off in Win 7'.

Also, my Win7 seems to be well-serviced with the (free) Microsoft Security Essentials (google 'MSE') anti-virus program. Only run one antivirus/malware program, more than one will slow you down. If you have, like, a three-month free subscription for Norton, use it up, get rid of the bastard, then install MSE. Update it everytime you log on...

If you want to get really antsy, consider putting a linux distribution on a partition in your comp... AA

I have MSE, no others.

It will not update, insufficient space.

Helllllpppppp

OK, shrunk mine by 1Gb, which created a 1Gb unallocated space partition. Then R-clicked on C partition (NOT the unallocated space) - 'extend volume' option was available, L-clicked on that and 2 seconds later was hunkydory

OK, shrunk mine by 1Gb, which created a 1Gb unallocated space partition. Then R-clicked on C partition (NOT the unallocated space) - 'extend volume' option was available, L-clicked on that and 2 seconds later was hunkydory

Extend is not highlighted, do not understand why

Extend is not highlighted, do not understand why

Extend is only highlighted in "F", "C" & "E" do not highlight.

You think 50GB is too much to extend?

OK, if still having problems, when you open 'computer management', may be that you can only gobble up free space from adjacent partitions. So, try shrinking E by ~ 1000Mb, see if C can then 'extend volume' by that amount.

If that doesn't work, try right clicking on E, and see if that can gobble up the 50Gb you freed up on F. Might be that you just have to sequentially chew then spew these partitions. Do not despair... AA

Will see if I can find out more about compaqCQ40 spec.s. But it is looking like you have to download elsewhere than C, if the above extend from adjacent partitions doesn't work. AA

OK, if still having problems, when you open 'computer management', may be that you can only gobble up free space from adjacent partitions. So, try shrinking E by ~ 1000Mb, see if C can then 'extend volume' by that amount.

If that doesn't work, try right clicking on E, and see if that can gobble up the 50Gb you freed up on F. Might be that you just have to sequentially chew then spew these partitions. Do not despair... AA

No, does not work, gives me another 1001MB of unallocated in another box

No, does not work, gives me another 1001MB of unallocated in another box

I can put the 1000MB back in E.

A wizard pops up and says -

You can only extend the volume to the available space shown below because your disk cannot be converted to dynamic or the volume being extended is a boot or system volume.

Does this mean anything?

OK, just looking at the compaq presario CQ40 manual, looks like it might have been designed so that everything you download has to be dumped into E or F. Not sure why there is no D. Maybe when you put a usb stick in, or your 1Tb HD, it shows up as D?

Can you transfer all docs/files out of C? That will free up space...

Also, like my toshiba NB305, you machine has a back-up parition (maybe that is D? Should be ~ 10Gb). The beauty of this, is that everything stuffs up, you simply follow the opening sequence and restore your comp to as-new state (needless to say, you lose all data on E and F). This is your link

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Compaq/Presario-CQ40-700/Manual/108813?page=11

OK, just looking at the compaq presario CQ40 manual, looks like it might have been designed so that everything you download has to be dumped into E or F. Not sure why there is no D. Maybe when you put a usb stick in, or your 1Tb HD, it shows up as D?

Can you transfer all docs/files out of C? That will free up space...

Also, like my toshiba NB305, you machine has a back-up parition (maybe that is D? Should be ~ 10Gb). The beauty of this, is that everything stuffs up, you simply follow the opening sequence and restore your comp to as-new state (needless to say, you lose all data on E and F). This is your link

http://www.manualowl.../108813?page=11

Have a look at Post #29 it says zero.

I am not sure what I can move.

<I can put the 1000MB back in E.

A wizard pops up and says -

You can only extend the volume to the available space shown below because your disk cannot be converted to dynamic or the volume being extended is a boot or system volume.

Does this mean anything? >

Mmm, I think your C might also be your back-up partition. GOOD NEWS is that it is healthy, and if everything stuffs up should be recoverable as per previous post. (slightly) BAD NEWS is that you will have to store everything - docs/music/films etc - elsewhere, either in E or F (or 1 Tb blackbox). Very important to get your antivirus updating, as most viruses target Microsoft products... AA

You should have someone capable doing this if you have something you want to keep.

Assuming you hand it over to someone knowing what he is doing:

Get a 250-300 gb harddrive and partition it up into C= 70 gb and D= the rest of the space.

Buy Norton ghost and once he has installed basic programs make a ghost image,

then learn to put all videos etc on D drive, and transfer all your old stuff to D

Edited by poanoi

OK, have a go at this.

Bottom left of screen, second icon from the corner, should be Windows Explorer. Left click

Should be a column of items on the left of the window

There will be a black line 'Computer'

underneath this, should be entries for

'SA.........©

'..............(E)'

'..............(F)'

Left click on ........©

(double) Left click on folder icon with 'Users'

should come up with three things - (1)you/yourself etc.,(2) Administrator, and (3)Public

double click on (1)

should open a list of the contents of what you have saved.

You want to copy all this stuff, to E or F or 1Tb HD. If the copy works, then you can subsequently delete it from C to free up space. Later, you can copy back to C - if you really need to...

To copy, R click on one of the items eg. 'My Videos'. In the list that comes up after the R click, select 'copy' (careful, do NOT select 'cut' at this time).

Then look back to the left, decide whether you want to put the stuff in E or F etc. R click on E or F, and select 'paste'. Bingo, you are copying that stuff to an other drive. After the copy/paste process is complete, open up E or F etc. to make sure (that which you moved) is there. If it works OK (should do), you can then got back to the stuff in C drive, R click on it, select 'delete', and confine it to virtual nothingness.

However, the space will not be freed up on C until you get rid of it by emptying recycle bin.

When you are confident doing this, instead of 'copying' from C to then 'paste' elsewhere, you can simply 'cut' from C then 'paste' elsewhere.

I feel in good company with other thaivisa-ers spending their valuable time trying to provide advice in order that another laptop does not take a 17th storey longdrop due to owner frustration... I only killed three (machines) in the last two years.. AA