The New Dukes On The River

jarhead50200

ate at the new DUKES last night, outstanding.............. beautiful decor and ambiance, the waiters/waitresses friendly, courteous and smiling............. took my wife and between us with more food than we could finish it came to a little over 450thb. i must commend the new restaurant as it will bury the competition as to the huge selection of thai and farang food, and my water glass (i like cold water) never went below half full. good location, plenty of parking and a river view. i must admit the DUKES at all locations runs circles around the local boys, as to quality, and quantity for an affordable lunch or dinner. little things like keeping cold water in my glass means a lot.

thank you for this nice restaurant.

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ate there last night greatly impressed. Tried foods I normally would not but I know Dave is a sticker for quality so I tried them.

The name s not Dukes it is The River Market I believe. (could be riverside market)

It is located on the river right next to the iron bridge on the west side of the river.

They are owned by the same owners as Dukes and if you want farong food they are planning on making it available. It will be prepared at the Dukes on the East side of the river and delivered.

They have a menu that has two pages in both English and Thai. I did not look that close but I believe one of them was sea food and the other had a little bit of Japanese on it.

Service was excellent.

It's called the River Market and it's right next to the Iron Bridge on the city side of the river, Thai and Japanese cuisine, it's going to be a smash hit for sure, Dave and co have busted their b*lls over the past noine months, building the place from scratch.

• Like 1

Is the Iron Bridge the one way bridge close to Rimping Market, the one the Chiang Mai Magic Map calls Lek Bridge?

Yes.

Thank you. Doesn't that place the new restaurant across the river from the old Dukes and a little bit south? Is it at the intersection of Loi Kroh and Charoen Prathet Road?

Is the Iron Bridge the one way bridge close to Rimping Market, the one the Chiang Mai Magic Map calls Lek Bridge?

Yes.

Thank you. Doesn't that place the new restaurant across the river from the old Dukes and a little bit south? Is it at the intersection of Loi Kroh and Charoen Prathet Road?

Your direction are correct but the road names don't sound right, Loi Kroh is the girle bar street is it not. The road that runs parallell to the river on the otherside from the (Old) Dukes is the one that you want, the intersecting road is the Iron Bridge (which takes you to Rimping).

EDIT: I just relaised that Loi Kroh probably does run all the way to the river, past the Red Lion etc hence your description of the roads is likely correct.

Edited by chiang mai

re .. The name s not Dukes it is The River Market I believe. (could be riverside market)

It is located on the river right next to the iron bridge on the west side of the river.

it is .. the river market : )

its so wide i couldnt get it in yesterdays pic so heres one taken from the iron bridge last december

dave2

post-42592-0-18489200-1333197162_thumb.j

post-42592-0-95830500-1333197202_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yes.

Your direction are correct but the road names don't sound right, Loi Kroh is the girle bar street is it not. The road that runs parallell to the river on the otherside from the (Old) Dukes is the one that you want, the intersecting road is the Iron Bridge (which takes you to Rimping).

EDIT: I just relaised that Loi Kroh probably does run all the way to the river, past the Red Lion etc hence your description of the roads is likely correct.

Thanks. I used the name on my MapMagic of Chiang Mai, it shows Loi Kroh running up to the bridge, and the road that parallels the river on the west side as Charoen Prathet Road. I can understand the confusion, Loi Kroh Road is so closely associated with girlie bars in Chiang Mai it is easy to forget that part of the road is just a normal road.

I drive by it every day to work and did not know it was open yet.

I will try it but Thai and japaniose food ?

I can get Thai anywhere and Japanese really is not my thing

wish for a more Duke's like menu

That's not what they had in mind but you can order it and they will prepare it across the river and bring it over for you.

Try some of the Thai food. The mother in law eggs are almost western. And some sort of chicken wrapped in lettuce was good but admittedly it did have a tang to it.

I even ate half of one of those little crabs the throw in the salads I think it was deep fried and the wife had ordered it. It wasn't half bad.

Next time over there I am going to give the sea food menu a good look. Yet to try the fried chicken but I tasted some a month or so ago when Dave was working on it. It was great.

The six of us, two neighbors, myself and our wives went to dinner there tonight and had a wonderful time along with a wonderful Thai dinner. The place is beautiful inside and is fully open to the river in a very attractive way. They had some nice Thai deserts on the menu but that was not what I had a feel for and I asked David if he had thought about having some of the good ol Duke's apple pie or cheese cake. He said no problem and said anything I wanted could be sent over so we had some. It was on our table within five minutes. All in one heck of a nice night out eating there.

Ate at Duke's Riverside once and never again. One of the worst meals I've eaten in Thailand. Soggy, limp, oil-soaked chips, Caesar salad sans anchovies, and a dried out bun for the burger - except for the bottom which was swimming in juice from the unrested burger patty. Never again.

• Like 2

Ate at Duke's Riverside once and never again. One of the worst meals I've eaten in Thailand. Soggy, limp, oil-soaked chips, Caesar salad sans anchovies, and a dried out bun for the burger - except for the bottom which was swimming in juice from the unrested burger patty. Never again.

You just couldn't resist getting that in huh? This thread is about River Market.

You just couldn't resist getting that in huh? This thread is about River Market.

Obviously new. Every one else would have sent it back and Dukes would have replaced it.

I don't regularly eat Caesars salad so I don't know is it suppose to have anchovies?

As for the chips can't say as I ever heard any one complain about them in fact quite the opposite.

Was the water OK?

Had lunch there yesterday. They are open for lunch and dinner. Beautiful restaurant. Time, effort and expense were not an obstical. The building design and decor were well planned out. If you are into Sushi, try the Raw Bar which also has king crab, mussels and others sea food items. Didn't see lobster yet, but it will probably be added soon. It is handicap accessible. Ramps leading from the parking lot to the main dining area. Very modern restrooms. Only went into the men's which is equipped with 6 urinals, 3 stalls(western style with paper) 3 sinks with papertowels. Wife and I had a very good conversation with Michael, one of the partners. He is very knowledgable of the wines of the world and the foods of Thailand. He and my wife, which also loves her wines, did most of the talking about the food, service and the wines. We gave him our feedback on some of the things we thought might help make the service better. Michael stated that he wants to have wine dinners, wine tasteings in the near future. So if you want to be included, ask the waite staff for his notebook and enter your name and email address so he may send you advanced notifications of dates, time and costs. For you Ripple and Thunderbird wine drinkers, they also carry California wines. All in all it was a very good dining experience. The foods we ordered were tasteful, well presented and hot off the stove. When and if you go there, keep an open mind. Its new and there will be miss understandings on orders. The waite staff are still learning but they still bend over backwards to please you and make your meal an enjoyable one. We plan on eating there often.

• Like 2

Retiredammt wrote " For you Ripple and Thunderbird drinkers, they also carry California wines." I was wondering, do they actually carry Tbird and ripple ? or are you just trying to demonstrate your lack of wine experience in an odd way?

I think they only add 7% VAT at the original Dukes.

So not enough to be memorable, over the usual:

"<deleted> Nong, I ordered the SMALL pizza!"

----"This *IS* the small pizza, kha."

"You serious? If this is a small pizza I'm not sure I ever want to meet a big one. ;) Unless I have a herd of elephants to feed."

---<smile>