The New Dukes On The River

jarhead50200

We ate there last week and the food was as might be expected, very very good. Large portions and very tasty indeed. Service was good although some aspects still have yet to settle in, as might be expected. I'm on an odd diet currently hence the only thing I could sensibly eat was the chicken and cashews nuts, I felt like a tourist! But the quality was superb and it left me very full, 175 baht and highly recommended. Mrs CM had asald and a northern dish the name of which I don't know, she gave it her 100% rating which means it was seriously good.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So some posts are deleted that dare to criticise....mmmm work that out.

I have frequented Dukes a number of times over 6 years and the service was invariable crap and got worse.

Strange. I think the service is well above average. Also the lady owner (owner's wife?) is very friendly and lovely to chat with.

With two kids we're not going out for dinner as much as we used to, but Duke's remains a very reliable choice for those times that we do. And they're very kid-friendly.

You should try the new one River Market it is Thai with a little Japanese. We have been there twice and both times enjoyed it. Dave tells me he is still working on some of the dishes.

The other day we were in there and I ordered Cashew Chicken. The Chicken was not like any other I had ever had when I ordered it. Every other place I have tried it you had to look for the chicken. (not saying I didn't like it) At the River Market the Chicken was so big it had to be cut.

As for likite

His post said he was told to f--- off. He forgot to thank the manager as a couple of customers were getting ready to throw him out.

Edited by hellodolly

I went to the new River Market today. But not as a customer, on business. I went throught the Employee area and was showed around. The kitchen was spotless and one of the cleanest I have ever seen, anywhere ! I was surprised by the large size of it and the nice build quality. I was offered a meal but declined just coming from the dentist. My visit was a surprise to them so they were not preped for me and it was lunch time.

Where I would say it is a work in progress and a few more thing need to be done here and there, it's mainly trim work being done. Were some of the behind the scene workers spoke little Emgish, eveyone was helpful and quickly helped me.

I will be back to try it, and happily pay. And I suggest others try it too

Dave absolutely insists on cleanliness. Look in his other kitchens.

I was in the one on the moat a while back and Dave was helping train some staff. One of them came over and started to do some thing and Dave looked rite at him and told him to go wash his hands.

Yes there are a few wrinkles to work out.

Hard to find staff willing to work up to the standards Dave wants. Also Dave is still trying to improve on some of the dishes. I found them good but I am not what you would call a food connoisseur. The wife had his Thai sausage ad gave me a little piece. Was I ever surprised it was what I call Cy Aora (some thing like that) only it was not full of grass it was terrific.

• Like 1

I have frequented Dukes a number of times over 6 years and the service was invariable crap and got worse.

Strange. I think the service is well above average. Also the lady owner (owner's wife?) is very friendly and lovely to chat with.

With two kids we're not going out for dinner as much as we used to, but Duke's remains a very reliable choice for those times that we do. And they're very kid-friendly.

Are we talking kids as in babies or youngsters? I'm just wondering because I know some restaurants aren't too keen on babies because of the noise and if they eat the wrong thing, the smell! 555!

Are we talking kids as in babies or youngsters? I'm just wondering because I know some restaurants aren't too keen on babies because of the noise and if they eat the wrong thing, the smell! 555!

There's no problems taking babies or small children to eat at Dukes/River Market, Dave's got a few of his own and has been there/done that, you'll be made most welcome.

Are we talking kids as in babies or youngsters?

Either.

Mind, young kids are welcome just about anywhere (few exceptions) but some places are more suitable than others. Small detail: As soon as kids sit down they get color crayons and something to color, they get their drinks in plastic cups, the staff make them feel at ease, etc. This is part of what I meant when I said service is 'well above average'.

• Like 1

Are we talking kids as in babies or youngsters?

Either.

Mind, young kids are welcome just about anywhere (few exceptions) but some places are more suitable than others. Small detail: As soon as kids sit down they get color crayons and something to color, they get their drinks in plastic cups, the staff make them feel at ease, etc. This is part of what I meant when I said service is 'well above average'.

I agree. They are very accommodating, supplying the above and both Dave and his wife like kids. Well above average.

There's no problems taking babies or small children to eat at Dukes/River Market,

As W C Fields might ask.....how do you like them, grilled or fried?

The old ones are always the best, at least that's what Mrs CM says.

clap2.gif

The wife and I had dinner there tonight. Superb. Better than we expected. A few items we asked for weren't available, such as the fresh oysters, but we did arrive around 8.45, a tad late perhaps. The Greek style lamb is of the charts, best lamb I've had in Thailand. Good bottle of Californian white wine for around 700 Baht, was delicious with the meal. Can't say enough about this place. Bound to be number one in no time. 5 star food at 3.5 star prices.licklips.gif

Just wondering if a menu was available online?

I wet to their web site and there was no menu on it.

Great pictures they would make Dave have another Go at them.

What website would that be? They have a webpage for the Bangkok branch, but nothing for the north.

Just wondering if a menu was available online?

I wet to their web site and there was no menu on it.

Great pictures they would make Dave have another Go at them.

What website would that be? They have a webpage for the Bangkok branch, but nothing for the north.

I typed River Market Chiang Mai into the google

Dukes is a sponsor on TV I have not tried that yet. As I said I have been there and am slowly working my way through the menu.

Just looked at the menu under sponsor no information about the river market. But they have a huge selection on it.

Even a kids menu.

Edited by hellodolly

I had the pork leg Hinlay, it was described as a Northern Thai dish but the flavour was almost Indian or Massaman.

Very delicious, big portion, enough for 2 people easy, great value.

I'm wondering if the name Hinlay has anything to do with the Indian/Nepali restaurant ?

Keep up the good work.

Ate at Duke's Riverside once and never again. One of the worst meals I've eaten in Thailand. Soggy, limp, oil-soaked chips, Caesar salad sans anchovies, and a dried out bun for the burger - except for the bottom which was swimming in juice from the unrested burger patty. Never again.

Wikipedia: 'A Caesar salad is a salad of romaine lettuce and croutons dressed with parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and black pepper. It may be prepared tableside.'

If you wanted anchovies, maybe you should have ordered them?

/ Priceless

The original Caesar salad recipe did not contain pieces of anchovy; the slight anchovy flavor comes from the Worcestershire sauce (which is basically mushed up anchovies, often a shock to anchovy haters). Therefore Caesar Salad with actual anchovies minus the Worcestershire sauce is quite usual and often preferred, and here in Thailand is probably cheaper to make given the relative price of Lea & Perrin's and anchovies.

Caesar Salad has walnuts!

Ate at Duke's Riverside once and never again. One of the worst meals I've eaten in Thailand. Soggy, limp, oil-soaked chips, Caesar salad sans anchovies, and a dried out bun for the burger - except for the bottom which was swimming in juice from the unrested burger patty. Never again.

Wikipedia: 'A Caesar salad is a salad of romaine lettuce and croutons dressed with parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and black pepper. It may be prepared tableside.'

If you wanted anchovies, maybe you should have ordered them?

/ Priceless

The original Caesar salad recipe did not contain pieces of anchovy; the slight anchovy flavor comes from the Worcestershire sauce (which is basically mushed up anchovies, often a shock to anchovy haters). Therefore Caesar Salad with actual anchovies minus the Worcestershire sauce is quite usual and often preferred, and here in Thailand is probably cheaper to make given the relative price of Lea & Perrin's and anchovies.

Caesar Salad has walnuts!

Never seen nor heard of a Ceasar with walnuts. But here in Old Siam anything is possible.

I went to both The Dukes and to River Market for the first time last week.

Was impressed with both restaurants.

The portions at the Dukes are enormous... and tasty as well. The place was packed (Saturday) but service was perfect. The waitresses even took some time to joke around and chit chat. Will definitely go back!

River Market : Food was DELICIOUS. Atmosphere is perfect. Little bit pricey, but definitely worth it.

You could tell that the servers were not really used to it yet, but I think that is quite normal with a place that has just opened.

2 foreign guys who seemed to be the owners or so each came to our table to check if everything was OK. And it was...

Thumbs up for both places

• Like 1

I went to both The Dukes and to River Market for the first time last week.

Was impressed with both restaurants.

The portions at the Dukes are enormous... and tasty as well. The place was packed (Saturday) but service was perfect. The waitresses even took some time to joke around and chit chat. Will definitely go back!

River Market : Food was DELICIOUS. Atmosphere is perfect. Little bit pricey, but definitely worth it.

You could tell that the servers were not really used to it yet, but I think that is quite normal with a place that has just opened.

2 foreign guys who seemed to be the owners or so each came to our table to check if everything was OK. And it was...

Thumbs up for both places

The short one was probably Dave the owner. He appreciates any honest complaints as he is always looking to improve on things.

He is ot one of those who denys or makes up excuses.,

• Like 1

Two practical questions from me:

Where precisely is the entrance to the River Market?

Is it ok to take one's own wine and pay their corkage charge - at either this restaurant or the original Duke's?

Just before the old iron bridge. It's on that corner. No idea about BYO.

My wife and I went to The River Market and I have to say it is a beautiful looking place with a great view, peaceful on the river. We had a variety of sushi and it was all great. Service was great too and staff just seemed eager to help out. Prices were reasonable.

I went there during Songran. At first I thought the Thai food was a little pricy. Then the food came, we tasted it, and it was outstanding. It's a great location. The service, as was mentioned earlier, is excellent. The atmosphere is mostly Thai with a hint of American. I will go there again.

There's a starter dish at the River Market, it's raw marinated salmon wrapped around a soft green vegetable that's akin to the centre of a cucumber, lightly covered in a lemon and garlic marinade and it's just the best thing ever, I've been dreaming of it for over a week now!