No Dual Pricing For Genuine Thai Residents

gamini

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If and I say if foreigners being charged more for things was a resident issue then I think that would be fair enough but it isn't. For example if someone from Vietnam rocked up and obviously looked Thai then they would get Thai prices. Why, because they look Asian, or more exact oriental Asian. Same for Loas, Cambodians etc etc.

Staff don't stand at park entrances or other events and ask everyone for their Thais ID cards so its quite obvious that the criteria is if you dont look like them then you are a foreigner and hence pay more.

Actually, they are quite easy to spot.

post-123755-0-81836600-1333262681.jpg

I always pay the thai price. Whenever we go to ticket booths selling tickets for farangs on higher price I always give them a bit of the dirty look (nothing serious), speak to them in thai saying i am ผู้ใหญ่ and resident and my wife confirms it. Never had a problem. wink.png

That ... look is very important and often decisive for the thai seller in determining the price.

Happens everywhere. I lived in hawaii and they do the same. My favorite restaurant gave a 20% discount if you showed your hawaii drivers license.

People coming into my restaurants in the states always got a table ahead of the crowd [on the sly of course] since they come all year, and pay the bills, where the tourist is a one shot deal. Only makes good business sense

If and I say if foreigners being charged more for things was a resident issue then I think that would be fair enough but it isn't. For example if someone from Vietnam rocked up and obviously looked Thai then they would get Thai prices. Why, because they look Asian, or more exact oriental Asian. Same for Loas, Cambodians etc etc.

Staff don't stand at park entrances or other events and ask everyone for their Thais ID cards so its quite obvious that the criteria is if you dont look like them then you are a foreigner and hence pay more.

Actually, they are quite easy to spot.

post-123755-0-81836600-1333262681.jpg

Blimey, I can only assume you posted that as a joke.

I really hope people are not thinking of that kind of tourist as a stereotypical example of what I mean.

Ok lets put this to the test because I there are obviously some highly skilled superman like people on this forum . Here is a link below with a photo of some friends. Anyone can compete. Tell me from right to left where they are from in Asean :

If there is no answer then I think we can assume no one is up to the challenge. There are 7 girls, if someone gets more than 4 out of 7 then I will bail out with defeat.

http://imageshack.us...7630026610.jpg/

Edited by rinteln

Happens everywhere. I lived in hawaii and they do the same. My favorite restaurant gave a 20% discount if you showed your hawaii drivers license.

People coming into my restaurants in the states always got a table ahead of the crowd [on the sly of course] since they come all year, and pay the bills, where the tourist is a one shot deal. Only makes good business sense

So that was because you proved you were a resident ? Have you ever seen this restaurant try to charge someone more, on purpose of course ?

Edited by rinteln

Well well. I think its fair to say that the above test is pretty neutral and fair. 7 normal, average Asean girls in bar doing a normal thing like drinking in a bar. A typical example of a normal day.

So after 20 whole minutes and 12 views on imageshack not a single taker to my challenge. Interesting. If I had made such highly skilled assessments of myself as other people have here I would be itching to prove myself correct, not the case as it seems.

You see my test would of always proven my point anyway, for 3 possible outcomes. 1. because if there were answers then every answer more than likely would of had different results and thus proving its too hard to tell in general. If one person got it right then at least a few others would of been wrong. Percentage would of been in my favour. 2. If there were no answers (which is the case, so far) then this means no one is confident enough to go for it which explains itself, or 3. Anyone who doesn't want to answer cant believe their own theory too much anyway which again is self conclusive. Hopefully this might put the "i can tell where everyone is from" argument in distant memory.

All in all the test has and will prove even if answers come later that generally speaking its too hard to tell where a set of people are from that generally look the same. Hence this is the basis on which non thai but Thai looking Asians don't get charged extra. This test could be proven again and again with any set of people from anywhere.

Blimey dont you just love this forum, see ya

Edited by rinteln

Confirmed from Austria as well....ripp off the Germans, Austrians or locals pay less....

It's easy to tell if they are tourists. If they are bargirls from Laos who have settled here, adopting Thai dress, grooming, body language, etc., not so easy.

A family from Vientiane on holiday in Bangkok would definitely be spottable.

Anyway, who cares really?

Sorry had to return back after that comment.

So.................your not taking up my challenge...???.lol. which of course would be the easiest way to settle it. Or would you like another photo of totally different people. Or maybe what about a photo of my mates back home. Maybe you can tell if their from Scotland, Wales, Ireland with your superman skills. lol

Who cares !!! Exactly the answer I would expect from a failed attempt.

So bar girls from Loas are not foreigners then ???? and shouldn't be part of the discussion ?? Seems rather odd as they are foreigners. What they do as a job as no relevance to whether you can tell where they come from, which you claim you can. As it happens not one of those girls are from Loas so in a way I suppose that may be your attempt at the little test. Looks like the hole being dug is getting bigger.

Sorry to push on this but I am finding this bit of the subject very hard to pin down even incredibly after nobody taking up my challenge. Its almost laughable.

Edited by rinteln

The attractions don't operate like police states and demand ID of everyone. If you are an Asian who keeps his mouth shut and doesn't stick out as a tourist, you can sometimes slip in. If you are Asian and can be spotted as an obvious non-Thai you will be confronted and made to pay the tourist price. We've been through this a thousand times already, but the racist card does not stick. It is a pricing system based on nationality that can sometimes be breached by an Asian mistaken for a Thai.

I agree with some of what you said but how can it be a nationality thing. So by definition you are saying that food vendors, attraction gates, taxi motorbike guys etc etc can tell the difference between and Thai and a Loas, or a Cambodian or Vietnam by looking at them. Well I've been here for a 7 years and I cant tell by looking at someone whether they are Thai or not. If you can then great but I doubt most of the above can.

There will be always be exceptions and these are always the ones who come up but its not the exceptions that count. Its the concept. If 100 Loas, Cambodians and Malays all rocked up throughout the day to an attraction i bet at least 80 odd would get through on Thai prices. Anyway the number doesnt matter its the concept.

Even if what we are talking about happened ONCE in any of our countries there would be outrage. So Europe and US being the benchmark I think we can agree its a bit more than nationality.

in usa, there is almost always different pricing for theme parks for residents and non-residence if buying your ticket at the gate.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.

It's easy to tell if they are tourists. If they are bargirls from Laos who have settled here, adopting Thai dress, grooming, body language, etc., not so easy.

So.................your not taking up my challenge...???.lol which of course would be the easiest way to settle it. Or would you like another photo of totally different people. Or maybe what about a photo of my mates back home. Maybe you can tell if their from Scotland, Wales, Ireland with your superman skills. lol

So bar girls from Loas are not foreigners then ???? and shouldn't be part of the discussion ?? Seems rather odd as they are foreigners. What they do as a job as no relevance to whether you can tell where they come from, which you claim you can. As it happens not one of those girls is from Loas so looks like the whole being dug is getting bigger.

Sorry to push on this but I am finding this bit of the subject very hard to pin down even incredibly after nobody taking up my challenge. Its almost laughable.

Maybe the 'challenge' of trying to place a bunch of average looking women is something we find laughable? Just thinking out loud, you know...

So.................your not taking up my challenge...???.lol which of course would be the easiest way to settle it. Or would you like another photo of totally different people. Or maybe what about a photo of my mates back home. Maybe you can tell if their from Scotland, Wales, Ireland with your superman skills. lol

So bar girls from Loas are not foreigners then ???? and shouldn't be part of the discussion ?? Seems rather odd as they are foreigners. What they do as a job as no relevance to whether you can tell where they come from, which you claim you can. As it happens not one of those girls is from Loas so looks like the whole being dug is getting bigger.

Maybe the 'challenge' of trying to place a bunch of average looking women is something we find laughable? Just thinking out loud, you know...

Perhaps yes but the test still stands and lack of answer still stands doesn't it. This is a good test as this is a typical set of girls that you would find in Pattaya. If anyone could raise to it then they would of already and I would be gone, to the pleasure of most I suspect.

Again as I mentioned before it doesn't matter who is in the photo, the theory is still the same.

Edited by rinteln

So.................your not taking up my challenge...???.lol. which of course would be the easiest way to settle it. Or would you like another photo of totally different people. Or maybe what about a photo of my mates back home. Maybe you can tell if their from Scotland, Wales, Ireland with your superman skills. lol

So bar girls from Loas are not foreigners then ???? and shouldn't be part of the discussion ?? Seems rather odd as they are foreigners. What they do as a job as no relevance to whether you can tell where they come from, which you claim you can. As it happens not one of those girls are from Loas so in a way I suppose that may be your attempt at the little test. Looks like the hole being dug is getting bigger.

I am not even sure they are all girls.

Your tone is getting snarky, so this conversation will end soon. Life's too short.

A Laotian bargirl settled in Thailand is a resident -- just like a farang with a drivers license -- and is entitled to the local rate.

We're talking about distinguishing TOURISTS from LOCALS. A person from over the border in Laos has virtually the same genetic make-up as an Isarner, so NATURALLY they are going to be indistinguishable if they have been here long enough to speak, dress, act, and groom as a Thai.

Your "challenge" is meaningless unless you have a stash of pictures of Laotian tourist visitors -- which you clearly don't. Besides, pictures do not tell the whole story. The way people talk, move, interact with others, etc., is just as importance as their appearance.

Anyway, you are getting aggressive and arrogant and are clearly fixated on "winning" something. Whatever, dude. Have a good day.

• Like 1

I am not even sure they are all girls.

lol

Your tone is getting snarky, so this conversation will end soon. Life's too short.

A Laotian bargirl settled in Thailand is a resident -- just like a farang with a drivers license -- and is entitled to the local rate.

We're talking about distinguishing TOURISTS from LOCALS. A person from over the border in Laos has virtually the same genetic make-up as an Isarner, so NATURALLY they are going to be indistinguishable if they have been here long enough to speak, dress, act, and groom as a Thai.

Your "challenge" is meaningless unless you have a stash of pictures of Laotian tourist visitors -- which you clearly don't. Besides, pictures do not tell the whole story. The way people talk, move, interact with others, etc., is just as importance as their appearance.

Anyway, you are getting aggressive and arrogant and are clearly fixated on "winning" something. Whatever, dude. Have a good day.

So...................you cant tell me where those girls are from in the photo then ???? lol

You are right the post did start off being about tourists and residents but if you remember I pointed out that I don't think its about residents, its about what you look like. You then dismissed that and said you can tell the difference so others can too which means in your eyes that only true tourists get charged more. I then challenged you to simple test with an example of the very kind of people that are walking around Pattaya and you failed.

"A person from over the border in Laos has virtually the same genetic make-up as an Isarner, so NATURALLY they are going to be indistinguishable" yes yes yes........at last you see my point. Thats exactly what I mean. So you cant tell the difference then. Which means the theory will be the same for Cambodians too.

As I said none of those girls in the photo are from Loas so why are you talking about Loas. I can only assume you thought they were from Loas. They are mix of Cambodian and Thai. My point is proven.

Your totally right I am out to be proven right and in your case at least I have been proven right.

Your own words have just swallowed you up, the history of the topic will show it for all to see and doesnt need any extra comment from me.

You have a good day to. When your next in Pattaya jump into a metered taxi from the bus station down to South Pattaya and test your own theory about no one being charged any extra in Thailand.

Edited by rinteln

What about food and taxis? I've never encountered a meter that jumped faster for farangs or a menu that had higher prices for farang.

Yes they do exist, a lot of shophouse type restaurants have a menu in Thai with cheaper prices than the menu in English for the same food.

• Like 1

I'm still confused why the OP is paying tax on his pension, especially if it is sourced overseas. Taxation rules apply equally for all those who have spent 180 days per year in Thailand, regardless of immigration status.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, you win. You can live your life a happy man now I guess.

Excellent, have a nice day

Everyone knows there are 2 diff scales so you only made yourself look foolish in the end. Which was nearly amusing as watching you argue with....... yourself! LOL. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

What about food and taxis? I've never encountered a meter that jumped faster for farangs or a menu that had higher prices for farang.

Yes they do exist, a lot of shophouse type restaurants have a menu in Thai with cheaper prices than the menu in English for the same food.

Indeed! And it doesnt stop with the menus.

dual-pricing-sign-11.jpg?w=200

Just 1 example..

Not sure what you mean, everyone who has a job and work permit is required to pay income tax. I receive a pa nga daw every year which I must use to file my US taxes; they take into account the tax I have paid in Thailand and give me tax credit.

Think you are misinformed there, fella.