What Is A Tactful Way To Tell Your Trad Thai Masseuse That 1 Hour Is 1 Hour ?

chubby

My understanding was the hour long massage also includes the time they wash your feet and the time you take to change into the over sized pj's. So actual massage time might be between 45 to 50 minutes, with 10 to 15 minutes feet washing and others.

That's what I was going to mention - it's worth clarifying exactly when the hour starts / stops. Does it include any pre-massage preparations (e.g. getting changed, feet washed, etc.), or is it just when you're actually in the room being massaged? My understanding is it should be the latter, but different shops (or masseuses within shops) may have other ideas. Some lazy masseuses may use this tactic to intentionally sell you short, others may genuinely think the clock starts from when you walk in the door, or it may be massage shop policy. It's worth checking though. 20 minutes does seem a lot to be cut short by.

The way to make sure is by being playful. Demanding/stern won't work, especially with a young Thai lass

(guessing Nok, let's call her Nok, is such). So, here's what you do from my own experience.

1. Praise her before she starts out: K. Nok, nuaat keng. Phom chob maak. (Smile, yes you.)

2. Then, ask for a full hour: Neng chuomo tem, naa! (it all hinges on how you say naa - should be

drawn out in a playful mock admonishing tone)

3. Keep the watch handy and if she stops short:

"Oow, neng chuomo yang mai theng!" Again the oow is critical - shouldn't be harsh.

If all this doesn't work, nothing will, buy a vibrating chair.

Oh, sure. In the US I always tell people who get shorted change by a clerk that they should assume that they (themselves) are wrong, should then praise the clerk and tell the clerk positive things like what a wonderful job they do etc.

Remember, if someone doesn't do their job properly you must walk on eggshells and praise them. This will surely affect them to do a better job next time.

Lifeisthefun, you should be a project manager, you really know how to motivate peoplecowboy.gif