Semi-Decent Faceless Helmet.

I use my good fullface HJC when riding outside of the city. But in the city I use a faceless helmet with the visor removed, full 180 degree vision.

All good except my faceless one is pretty crap. :) One of the Thai makes, Real or Index or similar. The problem is the foam is too weak, and with all the airflow/wind, it compresses so it isn't tight against your face anymore. You can jam something between the foam and outer shell to keep it tight, but it doesn't last and and the result of it being too loose is uplifting when accelerating or going above 70/80kph.

So it's probably time to buy a semi-decent one, that has better quality and stronger foam. One where the foam is attached via velcro and you can just buy new pieces would be great.

But without breaking the bank either if possible, say around 4000b or so.

Any recommendations?

I have 2 Real helmets and am quite satisfied with them.Brought at least 5 brandname helmets over from Europe previously,but the Real fits me well.I also buy them really thight so when they expand a little they still will fit properly.

Lifting is normally a cause of not thightening the strap enough,it should be strapped to the hurt limit.

I have 2 Real helmets and am quite satisfied with them.Brought at least 5 brandname helmets over from Europe previously,but the Real fits me well.I also buy them really thight so when they expand a little they still will fit properly.

Lifting is normally a cause of not thightening the strap enough,it should be strapped to the hurt limit.

True.

I notice when I adjust the wedge between the helmet casing and the foam (is there an actual name for that? sounds a bit silly calling it foam) it decreases the amount of lift/air flowing in by quite a bit, ie, the helmet not lifting to the point the strap is pressed tight against you.

Anyway, one with removable foam (like my fulface HJC), where you can buy new inserts would be great.

Anyone?

You could also have a look at the slightly pricier "Ozzy" model from the same manufacturer. I've heard a lot of good things about it from a lot of riders around Thailand...

post-118861-0-97484500-1333331805_thumb.

I like the look of the GJ-603, the Ozzy doesn't seem to provide too much jaw support (call me strange, but after reading of a girl having her lower jaw ripped off while wearing an open helmet I went straight out and bought a full-face).

Of course there is the safety concern with an open face. I took the visor off my current one and have perfectly clear 180 degree line of sight. When I put on my fullface HJC it feels like I'm looking through a matchbox, with terrible lack of side vision, driving around the city feels thrice as dangerous.

Edited by strollling

Of course there is the safety concern with an open face. I took the visor off my current one and have perfectly clear 180 degree line of sight. When I put on my fullface HJC it feels like I'm looking through a matchbox, with terrible lack of side vision, driving around the city feels thrice as dangerous.

Yep, I know exactly what you're saying.

Yep, I know exactly what you're saying.

i used to think that would be the case, but after a few minutes in a full face, my concerns left me. You may lose a slight amount but its worth it. i do occasionally wear an open face helmet for a 711 trip but for my daily commute to work or further, it has to be my full face.

You could also have a look at the slightly pricier "Ozzy" model from the same manufacturer. I've heard a lot of good things about it from a lot of riders around Thailand...

I have had an Ozzy now for nearly 2 years and I find it comfortable and with an inner tinted piece good in bright sunshine.

The main problem I have with it (and it is the same with ALL open face helmets) is that later in the day the bugs come out and I end up eating a few and in the rain it is like being under a high pressure shower.

If I use a face mask, 10 baht or so from tool shops etc most of the bugs and dirt are kept away but they are no real help in the rain.

Also the Ozzy comes in an XXL size and is a comfortable fit.

I bought mine in Chiang Mai at this place

http://www.helmet2home.com/?lang=th

They have a wide choice as you will see and will send the helmet to your house and they sell replacement parts.

^ I always use a facemask when commuting around the city too, it doesn't fit with my fullface which is another reason I use the faceless helmet. Should I ever forget the facemask I can literally chew on the BKK pollution when used to being covered up.

I always use either sunglasses or those cheap clear glasses that you get in shopping centers and marketstalls for 100b. Great for the evening bugs and rain. :)

^ I always use a facemask when commuting around the city too, it doesn't fit with my fullface which is another reason I use the faceless helmet. Should I ever forget the facemask I can literally chew on the BKK pollution when used to being covered up.

I always use either sunglasses or those cheap clear glasses that you get in shopping centers and marketstalls for 100b. Great for the evening bugs and rain. smile.png

Sometimes during the day or early evening I have heard a large bug impact on the visor and feel glad that it was down and the bug didn't get me in the eye or up my nose.

There ought to be a law against them.

I always use either sunglasses or those cheap clear glasses that you get in shopping centers and marketstalls for 100b. Great for the evening bugs and rain. smile.png

You can always wear a balaclava with the full-face helmet... it also prevents the helmet liners from stinking up.happy.png

I have had an Ozzy now for nearly 2 years and I find it comfortable and with an inner tinted piece good in bright sunshine.

The main problem I have with it (and it is the same with ALL open face helmets) is that later in the day the bugs come out and I end up eating a few and in the rain it is like being under a high pressure shower.

If I use a face mask, 10 baht or so from tool shops etc most of the bugs and dirt are kept away but they are no real help in the rain.

Also the Ozzy comes in an XXL size and is a comfortable fit.

I bought mine in Chiang Mai at this place

http://www.helmet2home.com/?lang=th

They have a wide choice as you will see and will send the helmet to your house and they sell replacement parts.

But in the rain there are also no bugs.

You can always wear a balaclava with the full-face helmet... it also prevents the helmet liners from stinking up.happy.png

Yup. Can do with a faceless one too. :)

Though I have about 20 short commutes everyday, and the little face mask and open helmet is far the better option.