I Can'T Drive

brit1984

Ever since I was old enough to drive I have lived mostly in cities where owning or driving a car is impractical and unnecessary (Oxford and London). Hence, I never even considered learning to drive.

Since we moved to Bangkok a few weeks ago it became clear I would eventually need to buy a car and learn to drive it, once we have settled in (I thought).

However, the in-laws just gave us a car and it seems a shame not to use it. My wife can drive but she is pregnant so she probably shouldn't over exert herself.

How and where can I learn to drive and get a driving license? I can't read any Thai and I can't speak much Thai so I will need an English speaking driving school.

Good luck. All I can say is don't get a relative to teach you. I do suggest using a big parking lot to learn on during the period that the mall is closed. It's kind of the same as learning to ride a bicycle... pick a place that is relatively harmless when you make the obvious mistakes. With driving or riding a bicycle or motorbike everything has to be instinctual and natural BEFORE you venture out into traffic.

http://www.srdriving...ent/view/40/52/ they do special courses for foreignersjap.gif Enjoy the car.

If thats not convenient for you ( sorry I dont know the area) maybe they can recommend someone.

This one looks more promising, hopefully they are still in business.

220/11 Bond Street, Bangkok

+66 0 2961 0002

http://www.thaisafedriver.com

Type: Driving Schools

Neighborhood: Greater Bangkok

Hours:

08.30 am - 5.00 pm

Public Transport:

Company is housed in Superior Building, located in Muang Thong Thanee in Nontaburi distrct. For your first visit to Safe Driving Education Company, you may take taxi.

Description (no personal opinions):

You can have English-speaking driving lessons in Bangkok, recommended by the US National Highway Traffic Safety. This driving school wants you to not only to become good and confident drivers than also a safe drivers. You will learn about all consequences of bad and ireasponsible driving. Every year 15,000 drivers die in car accidents in Thailand. Even 85 percent of all accidents are connected with motorcycles. That's why this school has a new section called Motorcycle Safety. Before entering car, you will drive simulator car under supervision of qualified instructor. Education includes multi-,media training with graphics, videa and animation because because it's very important for instrctors to keep students' interest and attention. Your driving education will be finished with evaluation sessions. Instructors take their job to qualify novice drivers very serious and as professionals, but they are also very friendly and nice to their candidates. School also organizes Corporate Vechicle Safety Training Program. Generally, prices of school's driving programs are very reasonable. For instance, private novice driver safety education program costs 9,000 per person.

Edited by edwinclapham

Well you fit in with the locals then.

In this country people don't learn to drive, they just have to move the car in a circle on the test centres land and drive forwards and backwards and forwards parallel parking into a large parking space. This is followed by a multiple choice test which you can keep taking all day until you have guessed enough correct and boy does it show. The written test is in Thai I have no idea if there is an English one.

I just did the convert your foreign licience test , but watched in amazement at how little you need to do to get a driving licience here.

It's too long ago to remember now, but I imagine you need the same documents for both. I think you need a letter from your embassay for something or other, passport - Visa, not sure if you need your work permit, erm I'm sure there is something else.

If you want to get a licience you can just do the above, but actually learning to drive which I guess is why your asking is very advisable and learning to drive very defensively is really a must. When you get out there, you can guess from the above, they don't teach how to use roundabouts so on these be very careful.

I would suggest practicing with someone. Maybe if you have a farang friend who drives, they can help... Hell you could even put an ad up in classifieds or craigslist as I'm sure someone would be willing to help you learn.

A lot of Thai people have had no real training or driving tests, that's why the roads are crazy in Thailand.

I'm like you, I lived in big cities like Manchester and London and there was no need for me to learn how to drive. Hell I can't even ride a motorbike or a scooter... I would like to learn but its other people on the roads that I definitely don't trust.

Good luck anyways!

Driving School Jarat

Description:

Driving school. instructors with basic English knowledge. Manual or automatic car lessons with office open Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 08:00-16:30. Opposite Snake Farm/ Thai Red Cross, Rama IV Road Bangkok.

Contact Details:

Tel:
02 233 7841

Khun Jarat appears to come recommended as well.

As most of the Thais on the road cant either ,you will fit in well.

which doesn't really help the OP....just because others jump off a cliff why should he?

Sounds like he has a bubs coming along, so at the very least, he'd want to know how to drive properly and defensively. I'm not sure where they are, but I'm pretty certain that some of the European car manufactures run advanced driver training courses, which might be useful after he gets his normal license.

• Like 1

Waiting for my vehicle plates one day, I watched the Thais take the "driving" test. Parallel parking: one women knocked over the front and rear flags 17 times.

30 minutes later, when I pick up my tags, she's getting her photo taken for her license. She was very proud. I didn't think you were supposed to smile on official photos...

http://www.srdriving...ent/view/40/52/ they do special courses for foreignersjap.gif Enjoy the car.

If thats not convenient for you ( sorry I dont know the area) maybe they can recommend someone.

+66 0 2961 0002

Hours:

08.30 am - 5.00 pm

Public Transport:

Company is housed in Superior Building, located in Muang Thong Thanee in Nontaburi distrct. For your first visit to Safe Driving Education Company, you may take taxi.

You can have English-speaking driving lessons in Bangkok, recommended by the US National Highway Traffic Safety. This driving school wants you to not only to become good and confident drivers than also a safe drivers. You will learn about all consequences of bad and ireasponsible driving. Every year 15,000 drivers die in car accidents in Thailand. Even 85 percent of all accidents are connected with motorcycles. That's why this school has a new section called Motorcycle Safety. Before entering car, you will drive simulator car under supervision of qualified instructor. Education includes multi-,media training with graphics, videa and animation because because it's very important for instrctors to keep students' interest and attention. Your driving education will be finished with evaluation sessions. Instructors take their job to qualify novice drivers very serious and as professionals, but they are also very friendly and nice to their candidates. School also organizes Corporate Vechicle Safety Training Program. Generally, prices of school's driving programs are very reasonable. For instance, private novice driver safety education program costs 9,000 per person.

Thank you - sounds good

• Like 1

+66 0 2961 0002

Hours:

08.30 am - 5.00 pm

Public Transport:

Thank you - sounds good

Really ?

" Before entering car, you will drive simulator car under supervision of qualified instructor."

About as relevant to real life as a Playstation game.

"Education includes multi-,media training with graphics, videa and animation because because it's very important for instrctors to keep students' interest and attention."

Still not got in the car then....

"You can have English-speaking driving lessons in Bangkok, recommended by the US National Highway Traffic Safety."

Yeah sure they endorse lots of driving schools in Bangkok.... giggle.gif

You can learn to drive with minimal Thai language skills, its time in the car that's important, you don't learn to drive in the classroom. And even if you did you will find a lot of hazard perception test clips online . After that its up to you, no video can prepare you for driving in LOS. Contrary to some of the opinions expressed above I don't think its a bad place to learn to drive, stay off the Expressway's and most off the time you will just poodle along....actually you can do that on the Expressway as well but that's another topic,

find someone who can drive and speaks a little english. Your wife will have a cousin of a cousin etc.

Offer them a job for a month or 2 of

a) being your 9 to 5 driver and showing you the loacal roads from a drivers perspective.

B) Teaching you to drive.

Read a few OS driving manuals so you pick up on the safety aspects he/she will have no idea about.

If your car is an auto it's really not that hard.

+66 0 2961 0002

Hours:

08.30 am - 5.00 pm

Public Transport:

Thank you - sounds good

Really ?

" Before entering car, you will drive simulator car under supervision of qualified instructor."

About as relevant to real life as a Playstation game.

"Education includes multi-,media training with graphics, videa and animation because because it's very important for instrctors to keep students' interest and attention."

Still not got in the car then....

"You can have English-speaking driving lessons in Bangkok, recommended by the US National Highway Traffic Safety."

Yeah sure they endorse lots of driving schools in Bangkok.... giggle.gif

You can learn to drive with minimal Thai language skills, its time in the car that's important, you don't learn to drive in the classroom. And even if you did you will find a lot of hazard perception test clips online . After that its up to you, no video can prepare you for driving in LOS. Contrary to some of the opinions expressed above I don't think its a bad place to learn to drive, stay off the Expressway's and most off the time you will just poodle along....actually you can do that on the Expressway as well but that's another topic,

Good point!...

find someone who can drive and speaks a little english. Your wife will have a cousin of a cousin etc.

Offer them a job for a month or 2 of

a) being your 9 to 5 driver and showing you the loacal roads from a drivers perspective.

Teaching you to drive.

Read a few OS driving manuals so you pick up on the safety aspects he/she will have no idea about.

If your car is an auto it's really not that hard.

I know what you mean but having been a passenger with many of the aforementioned cousins driving I think I would rather learn from a professional!

I always ask lots of questions when i am a passenger so I think I have a fair take on the rules of the road (i.e. there are no rules). I think a defensive driving course as has been mentioned is a very good idea.

By the way, is there something like the AA or RAC (breakdown service) over here? My wife thinks not but it wouldn't surprise if she just isn't aware of it.

My wife went for the govt test, it was hilarious 10 people sharing a manual car in a car park.

After she passed I told her "no way" was she going out on the roads until she had had another 6 weeks in the car with me in a quiet area practicing reversing, mirror signal maneuver etc.

After this she was much much better and to date has only killed 4 people and partially maiming 2 ( which I scolded her for)