Airasia - Are They Moving Back To Don Muang?

scorecard

The Thai Government has told ALL Low cost carriers that they WILL be required to return to DM

As Swampy is at critical overload any one who does not think this will happen is fooling themselves

I believe by next high season all LCC will be at DM

Moving Air Asia to DM is not easy. Only the size of the operation means that airport staff would have to be increased considerably. Add to that re-opening of immigration and customs. There seems to be a lack of immigration officials at Swampy, so where will they get the extra staff? Air Asia will obviously not be happy. Many frequent travellers (myself included) use them, and getting to DM can be a nightmare and very unpredictable. They'll probably lose a lot of passengers who'll fly other airlines out of Swampy instead, thus reducing the effect of the move.

Long term, there's no way around building another terminal at Swampy. They'd better start digging, or the airport becomes an argument not to locate in Bangkok. Add to that floodings, random traffic jams and other inconveniences, and one can easily see a downward spiral for the City of Angels.

Edited by zakk9

The recent news reports about the government's policy re DM were hardly clear...

The news reports made it sound like the government was issuing some kind of an order for the LCC's to move to DM... But in reality, as best as I understand it, they government can't really force a private airline to move if it doesn't want to move.

Yes, they could change the fee structures or take other kinds of measures aimed at "encouraging" compliance. And that seemed to be what the government was talking about at the time, that is, giving discounts or reduced fees to carriers that made the switch to DM.

I think AA would be crazy to move to DM... apart from this coming year's expected repeat flooding episode. But then again, crazy things happen all the time in LOS.

,,,,,,,,,,, Add to that floodings, random traffic jams and other inconveniences, and one can easily see a downward spiral for the City of Angels.

I gather, you haven't witnessed BKK in the 90's..

Yes, I have, but traffic has increased dramatically since then while road capacity is basically the same. With floods, it's the other way around. While there may or may not be more water now than then, many escape routes for the water have been closed, forcing the liquid stuff into places like DM.