What Are You Reading?

thaibebop

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished Reggie Perrin and have moved onto Robert Rankin's 'The hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocolypse'

Been reading it for 3 hours and snot, dribble and tears are pouring out of me. This guy is the best living British humour writer. It really is genuine laugh out loud funny but frequently. No wry humour here but good old belly laughs!!

Look out for any of Rankin's books in Thailand if you can but don't mistake him for that miserable other writer bloke called Rankin who wrote the crow road crap!!

Pisses all over Pratchett and his pretentious obsessive weirdo fans as well!

History of Southeast Asia - Milton Osborne

A Short Concise History of Southeast Asia- Mary Heidhues (used these books for my class)

Welcome to hel_l: One Man's fight for life inside the Bangkok Hilton - Colin Martin

I am about to start:

Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies - Jared Diamond

Half a life - V.S. Naipaul

Just finished Reggie Perrin and have moved onto Robert Rankin's 'The hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocolypse'

Been reading it for 3 hours and snot, dribble and tears are pouring out of me. This guy is the best living British humour writer. It really is genuine laugh out loud funny but frequently. No wry humour here but good old belly laughs!!

Look out for any of Rankin's books in Thailand if you can but don't mistake him for that miserable other writer bloke called Rankin who wrote the crow road crap!!

I WILL be looking forward to readin ghtis.

Thanks for the heads up!

:o Yeah, what's with those guys?

Tranquillo Hermano... :D

• 2 weeks later...

The last 3 books...

Empress Orchid - Anchee Min

A fantastic story (based on a true story) about the last empress of China.

It's a long way from penny apple - Bill Cullen

Story of the Dublin tycoon Bill Cullen

And Just finished reading....

Without a guide - edited by Katherine Govier

A collection of travel writings by women writers... A surprisingly enjoyable book, I will be looking for some titles from some of the authors featured, i particulary want to read a book called Tracks by Robyn Davidson, which documents her six month trip across the desert in Western Australia by camel.

I've run out of books now... :o

totster :D

Guest endure
The last 3 books...

That's my book of choice for my flight to BKK tomorrow :o:D:D

The last 3 books...

That's my book of choice for my flight to BKK tomorrow :o:D:D

An excellent choice... you won't be able to put it down... :D

Enjoy !

totster :D

They both have the first name "Ian" (but spelled differently).

Only one writer is named Ian Rankin who you recommend, the other one is Iain Banks who you don't seem to enjoy. :D

If I was to say I was reading a Ludlum or a Clancy would I be considered a phillistine by the intelectuals here?

Yes, but someone like Ian Rankin is a simular kind of writer.

He just hasn't swamped the market enough to be considered too commercial to be trendy. :o

If I was to say I was reading a Ludlum or a Clancy would I be considered a phillistine by the intelectuals here?

only americans do this kind comments about being intellectual and well educated...

(just joking i just want to annoy ulysses g.)

Hello Ulysses G. how are you doing? :o:D

I'm doing fine, but I have a feeling that old croc isn't American. :o

I know he is scottish ...but i was just giving he a clue of what kind of people will bring up the subject of being intellectual :D

But this not even true, it was only an excuse to annoyed you and asked you how were you doing? :D:D

Edited by Glauka

I know he is scottish ...but i was just giving he a clue of what kind of people will bring up the subject of being intellectual :D

But this not even true, it was only an excuse to annoyed you and asked you how were you doing? :D:D

Glauka, not Scotish! There is more than one Perth in this world. :D This makes our conversation about your visit to my home town seem a little funny doesn't it. :D

(and never call me American :D )

I'm doing fine, but I have a feeling that old croc isn't American.

I know he is scottish ...but i was just giving he a clue of what kind of people will bring up the subject of being intellectual

Glauka, not Scotish! There is more than one Perth in this world This makes our conversation about your visit to my home town seem a little funny doesn't it.

(and never call me American

WHAT?!!!!!!! :o

YOU ARE FROM AUSTRALIA?! :D

I assumed that you were scottish because you asked me at some point" scotland, spain thailand and interesting trip you had (or something like that)"

Indeed our conversation was hopeless I was talking about the scottish perth...of course you could not recognize the venue... :D

OMG how silly I am... :D:D

Edited by Glauka

Why would I be annoyed?

Once again, you have kind of turned the tables on yourself, my dear. :D

Why would I be annoyed?

Once again, you have kind of turned the tables on yourself, my dear. :D

:D

I'm doing fine, but I have a feeling that old croc isn't American.

I know he is scottish ...but i was just giving he a clue of what kind of people will bring up the subject of being intellectual But this not even true, it was only an excuse to annoyed you and asked you how were you doing?

Glauka, not Scotish! There is more than one Perth in this world. This makes our conversation about your visit to my home town seem a little funny doesn't it. :o

(and never call me American :D )

WHAT?!!!!!!! :D

YOU ARE FROM AUSTRALIA?! :D

:D:D

OMG and what about the pm I sent you so that you could check my album pictures with the bagpipe...

scottish perth all the time scottish perth in my mind...

i though you may like the mixture between YOUR culture and my culture....

and now...

OMG i am so silly :o:D

OMG and what about the pm I sent you so that you could check my album pictures with the bagpipe...

scottish perth all the time scottish perth in my mind...

i though you may like the mixture between YOUR culture and my culture....

and now...

OMG i am so silly :o:D

I enjoyed the pictures Glauka. We have culture in Australia too you know. Don't worry. :D:D

I like Clancy. Got bored after reading many of his books but still like him. I am not sure why but Rainbow Six has always been my favorite.

I like Clancy. Got bored after reading many of his books but still like him. I am not sure why but Rainbow Six has always been my favorite.

For sheer escapism and a rattling good read, I like Clancy, Dean Koontz, Ed McBain, Michael Connelly, Michael Crichton, and an American writer whose name escapes me but he wrote Flight of the Old Dog and other avaition novels. Great stuff.

For a bit more intrigue and something to get into, Patricia Cornwell, Gerald Seymour, Dan Brown and so on.

However, there are few authors whose books I re-read, but include the classics (Dickens, Conrad, Evelyn Waugh) and, most of all, the Lensman series by E E 'Doc' Smith. I have read these 7 books, in order, for the last 30+ years, and don't tire of them. They are dated, naive, and apparently not particularly well-written, according to the literati. I don'tgive a monkeys - I love 'em.

Currently reading Brideshead Revisted, Trace (Cornwell) and Grey Lensmen (Smith). If there are philistines on tv, I'm one of them - I'd rather be a philistine than restricting my reading to the trendy, chattering class-type books.