What Are You Reading?

thaibebop

Just finished all four of Dan Browns books, that I know of. Ended with Deception Point. Quite cool....

Just started The Great Gatsby, by F, Scott Fitzgerald. Finding it a little hard going, not read anything really like before. Exept maybe Ragtime by E.L Doctorow. They're not really my mug of coffee but once I pop I can't stop.

redrus

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Í forget... there´s a few... Actually I think I´m about to start a GGMarquez novel... In spanish too! Oh and I´m reading a nietzche Antichrist in Spanish too.

Nietzche! :o

Nietzsche!

Reading Nietzsche in another language than German is sacrilegious! His German is brilliant and sometimes he also uses French and Latin. The German language is a main part of his work, take it away and you destroy everything.

I never thought about reading Shakespeare in a translation.

Oh, what I'm reading? Irvin D. Yalom, When Nietzsche wept, in the German translation Und Nietzsche weinte :D

Patex

Am reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

Fantastic book, full of intrigue, adventure, drug running, prison breaks, blackmarket money laundering, prostitution & war and apparently all true!

Not bad for an aussie ex con :o

I found that to be an enjoyable read as well. The blurb on the book sells it as a true story, but while some of it is based on the things he did, he himself describes it mainly as a work of fiction on his website. I was a little bit disappointed when i found out, i kind of wanted it to all be true, but i have to admit there were plenty of moments in it which were just too much 'action adventure' to be believable, and i did doubt it at the time.

Just finished all four of Dan Browns books, that I know of. Ended with Deception Point. Quite cool....

I've read all his books to date.. fantastic stories... well recommended :o

totster :D

Yes, ditto. A similar book is one I recently read called 'The Last Templar', by Raymond Khaury (sp?). Outstanding.

Also just read 'The Broker' by John Grisham. Not his best, but excellent anyway. Re-read Kafka's 'The Trial', an old favourite.

Just been trying to read 'Tender is the Night' by F Scott Fitzgerald. Having given it much thought, I have come to the conclusion that the author is (in respect of this book, anyway) a pretentious, verbose tw4t who is so up his own 4rse I'm amazed he can see daylight.

I guess I won't be asked to be a judge for the Man Booker Prize this year, then.

Not bad for an aussie ex con :D

Don't do yourself down, mate :D

Am reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

Fantastic book, full of intrigue, adventure, drug running, prison breaks, blackmarket money laundering, prostitution & war and apparently all true!

Not bad for an aussie ex con :o

I found that to be an enjoyable read as well. The blurb on the book sells it as a true story, but while some of it is based on the things he did, he himself describes it mainly as a work of fiction on his website. I was a little bit disappointed when i found out, i kind of wanted it to all be true, but i have to admit there were plenty of moments in it which were just too much 'action adventure' to be believable, and i did doubt it at the time.

I'm currently reading it and enjoying it immensley, one of the better books I've read in a while.

I just finished 'Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova. Not bad at all, took me back to when I read Bram Stoker as a nipper, good for any vampire aficianados Wolfie?

Nothing really compares to Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, It's still one of my favourite books, I've just ordered his latest effort The Baroque trilogy

Should keep me out of trouble for a few weeks.

Wilbur Smith writes amazing books, can't beat him for mutliple generation epics. River God was my favourite.

I liked Stephen King, 'The stand' and 'It' were my favourites, what is his new fantasy series like?

I love this thread, thanks for all the good recommendations.

2. The Song of Fire and Ice Book IV

A Feast For Crows

by George R.R. Martin

Did you buy A Feast for Crows in Thailand, and if so where? I really want to read this book but Kinokuniya in Bangkok does not carry it, even though the branches in Kuala Lampur and Singapore have had it almost 2 months. Every time I ask them, they tell me it's on the way, but they've been telling me that since October. The other bookstores are even worse, and I've never seen it at a second hand shop yet.

A Feast For Crows

by George R.R. Martin

Did you buy A Feast for Crows in Thailand, and if so where? I really want to read this book but Kinokuniya in Bangkok does not carry it, even though the branches in Kuala Lampur and Singapore have had it almost 2 months. Every time I ask them, they tell me it's on the way, but they've been telling me that since October. The other bookstores are even worse, and I've never seen it at a second hand shop yet.

No, I am in America, so it was real easy to get it. I have been told that Amazon will deliver in Thailand. So, try ordering on-line.

I was a little reluctant to post on this thread cos I thought I might get bashed! But what the he11, I have been bashed on here before!

I read my bible every day as I have done for nearly 30 years, I also have many reference books on my study desk all the time. I am currently reading, 'Divine Inspiration of the Bible' by L. Gausen, written in 1841 but still a great read. Undesigned Scriptural Coincidences by J J Blunt, again originally written in 1847 but it's full of 'aha' moments. Wrested Scriptures by R. Abel, a reference book really, it details scriptures that have be 'wrested' (old fashioned word) by various denominations over the years.

In a different mode, I have also just finished, Harry Potter and the half blood prince. And I have just started Bill Clinton's My Life.

I was a little reluctant to post on this thread cos I thought I might get bashed! But what the he11, I have been bashed on here before!

I read my bible every day as I have done for nearly 30 years, I also have many reference books on my study desk all the time. I am currently reading, 'Divine Inspiration of the Bible' by L. Gausen, written in 1841 but still a great read. Undesigned Scriptural Coincidences by J J Blunt, again originally written in 1847 but it's full of 'aha' moments. Wrested Scriptures by R. Abel, a reference book really, it details scriptures that have be 'wrested' (old fashioned word) by various denominations over the years.

In a different mode, I have also just finished, Harry Potter and the half blood prince. And I have just started Bill Clinton's My Life.

I'm telling ya Suegha, I think you would really enjoy Thomas Aquinas and maybe even Augustine, though he is a bit dry. BTW, what did you think of The Half-Blood Prince?

I read my bible every day as I have done for nearly 30 years.

You'll not get a bashin from me for that fella. Look at my avatar, I'm a man of the cloth....! :o

Seriously, I always meant to read the bible, just never seem to do it. I'm not a particularly religious person so thats probably the reason but, there's a lot of stuff in there. I'll do it one day.

redrus

You'll not get a bashin from me for that fella. Look at my avatar, I'm a man of the cloth....! :D

Seriously, I always meant to read the bible, just never seem to do it. I'm not a particularly religious person so thats probably the reason but, there's a lot of stuff in there. I'll do it one day.

redrus

Why? Just watch the Mel Gibson movie. Ya know, the one with the guy and thorns and stuff. What was that flick called? :o

You'll not get a bashin from me for that fella. Look at my avatar, I'm a man of the cloth....! :D

redrus

Why? Just watch the Mel Gibson movie. Ya know, the one with the guy and thorns and stuff. What was that flick called? :o

Was it not The Passion of Christ....?

Yeah saw it, I liked it.

redrus

redrus

Was it not The Passion of Christ....?Yeah, I was just joking. People always say just watch the movie.

Yeah saw it, I liked it. Never saw it, since I know the story and have seen the Passion played out so many times ( I even think there was an older movie that dealt with the Passion) I couldn't see what he could do to make his all that different.

redrus

The Bone Woman - By Clea Koff

A forensic anthropologists account of exhuming the graves from Rwanda, Bosnia, Kosovo etc due to genocide.....

Only half way through but a very fascinating read.....

.... and for some lighter relief Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart by Gordon Livingston.

Edited by Lisa28

BTW, what did you think of The Half-Blood Prince?

I actually thought it was quite good. I am though, a bit bored with the whole thing, but I know I'll read the next one to find out what happens!!!

You'll not get a bashin from me for that fella. Look at my avatar, I'm a man of the cloth....! :o

redrus

Redrus,you're right about the bible, there is a lot of stuff in there. But the only way to get through it is to start at the begining and read it. Read it with an open mind and then make up your own mind about it.

Get yourself a modern translation as the 'thees and thous' can be quite tough for a newbie to it.

BTW, what did you think of The Half-Blood Prince?

I actually thought it was quite good. I am though, a bit bored with the whole thing, but I know I'll read the next one to find out what happens!!! I will do the same, but I am at that point where I am ready for the end, whatever it might be.

redrus

Redrus,you're right about the bible, there is a lot of stuff in there. But the only way to get through it is to start at the begining and read it. Read it with an open mind and then make up your own mind about it.

Get yourself a modern translation as the 'thees and thous' can be quite tough for a newbie to it.

:

redrus

If one is religious, the bible might be worth looking at for some kind of - supposed - divine inspiration, but just to read, it's totally useless. Muddled and senseless, written thousands of years ago in a language that is impossible to translate correctly today, one has to rely on wackos like Pat Robertson to find out what it "really" means. If you like interpreting psychedelic poetry, the bible might be worth a read.

If you want something religious, useful and inspirational that doesn't need a team of translators, I recommend Siddhartha by Herman Hesse.

The History Of The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire

- Edward Gibbon

Volume 3

Like the title suggests that is what I am asking. In an attempt to find the reader in this forum I will start by saying that I myself read ALL THE TIME. I don't stop and read more than one book at a time as well. I read non-fiction, fiction, I don't care. Normal I stay with in the genre of sci-fi/fantasy and I always read something about history, science or philosophy. School however is taking care of the non-fiction for me. Over X-mas break I am tackling Malthus, Beccaria, Locke, Emerson, Dostoevsky just to name a few, not to mention some really great books on the histroies or Japan, China, and India. I will not post all of that stuff I am just posting the stuff that was not assigned.

1.The Camulod Chronicles Book III

The Eagles Brood

by Jack Whyte

A Feast For Crows

by George R.R. Martin

3. Star Wars:Revenage of the Sith

by Matthew Stover (much better than the movie :o )

Okay, I showed ya mine, now you show me yours. :D What are you reading?