What Are You Reading?

thaibebop

If I was to say I was reading a Ludlum or a Clancy would I be considered a phillistine by the intelectuals here?

I like Clancy. Got bored after reading many of his books but still like him. I am not sure why but Rainbow Six has always been my favorite.

For sheer escapism and a rattling good read, I like Clancy, Dean Koontz, Ed McBain, Michael Connelly, Michael Crichton, and an American writer whose name escapes me but he wrote Flight of the Old Dog and other avaition novels. Great stuff.

For a bit more intrigue and something to get into, Patricia Cornwell, Gerald Seymour, Dan Brown and so on.

However, there are few authors whose books I re-read, but include the classics (Dickens, Conrad, Evelyn Waugh) and, most of all, the Lensman series by E E 'Doc' Smith. I have read these 7 books, in order, for the last 30+ years, and don't tire of them. They are dated, naive, and apparently not particularly well-written, according to the literati. I don'tgive a monkeys - I love 'em.

Currently reading Brideshead Revisted, Trace (Cornwell) and Grey Lensmen (Smith). If there are philistines on tv, I'm one of them - I'd rather be a philistine than restricting my reading to the trendy, chattering class-type books.

I love brideshead revisited...I haven´t watch the series with Jeremy Irons...are they good?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love brideshead revisited...I haven´t watch the series with Jeremy Irons...are they good?

Wonderful. The series is very faithful to the book, and is one of those series I watch again and again on DVD. It's a marathon, though - about 10 hours long.

It was probably the last of the truly great adaptations by a single TV company (other than the BBC) and was so expensive it nearly crashed and burned during filming. But just look at the cast: Jeremy Irons, Anthony Andrews, Lord Olivier, Clare Bloom, Diana Quick, Nickolas Grace etc etc etc. Marvellous.

I like almost everything by Somerset Maugham; short stories, novels, memoirs and essays.

Is he "philistine" material too?? :o

I think Maugham puts you in the culture vulture bracket

If I was to say I was reading a Ludlum or a Clancy would I be considered a phillistine by the intelectuals here?

I like Clancy. Got bored after reading many of his books but still like him. I am not sure why but Rainbow Six has always been my favorite.

Rainbow six is a good series... you can put em down, pick em up.. thats why they are appealing.

i'm also a BIG fan of Wilbur Smith.. fantastic stories.. told over generations.. remarkable work IMHO

totster :o

Going for a nice contrast at the moment: the 4th book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King (commercial he may be, but he definitely knows how to entertain) and Tolstoi's Anna Karenina (reads so much better than any Dostoevsky I've laid my hands on).

Going for a nice contrast at the moment: the 4th book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King (commercial he may be, but he definitely knows how to entertain) and Tolstoi's Anna Karenina (reads so much better than any Dostoevsky I've laid my hands on).

Dostoevsky :o:D

I have try to read Crime and punishment twice I can´t I just can´t

Same here, it feels like reading the ramblings of a senile old man...

Seeing as you're from Spain, I'm reminded of some truly exquisite Latino authors I went through recently:

Gabriel Garcia Marquez's books are a truly awesome combination of realism, fantasy and syrupy romance..."Cento anos de soledad" especially was fantastic.

Isabel Allende writes very nicely for a dictator's daughter :o "Portrait in Sepia", especially, was great.

And most recently, one particular book which I loved was Laura Esquivel's "Like water for chocolate"...so, soooo sweet!

Same here, it feels like reading the ramblings of a senile old man...

Seeing as you're from Spain, I'm reminded of some truly exquisite Latino authors I went through recently:

Gabriel Garcia Marquez's books are a truly awesome combination of realism, fantasy and syrupy romance..."Cento anos de soledad" especially was fantastic.

Isabel Allende writes very nicely for a dictator's daughter :o "Portrait in Sepia", especially, was great.

And most recently, one particular book which I loved was Laura Esquivel's "Like water for chocolate"...so, soooo sweet!

Oh " Cien años de soledad" is one of my favourites books...

I don´t like Isabel Allende

And yes "Like water for chocolate" is such as sweet book...

There are other southamerican writers worth reading like Mario Benedetti, Borjes, Cortazar,gioconda beli, Neruda...

You should read "Cronicas de una muerte anunciada" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

One of my favourite authors is from Spain Miguel Delibes I don´t know if any of his books are written in english but if you ever find one give it a try...

Same for Jose Luis Sampedro....

I haven't yet read ""Cronicas de una muerte anunciada", but loved "Autumn of the patriarch", "Of Love and Other Demons", "The General in his labyrinth" and especially "Love in the time of cholera" :o

Thanks for the other recommendations, they'll be high on the list for future reading!

I will give King has credit, I tried to read The Stand, couldn't do it. Freaked me out and I have been told that's not the worst one.

Dostoevsky :D:D

I have try to read Crime and punishment twice I can´t I just can´t

Try reading The Brothers Karamazov.

Currently reading Thaivisa

:o

The Hurricane: Alex Higgins--by Bill Borrows

a very entertaining read about a true mad man

he used to go to a club in Belfast that played at,always fun to watch him.there was always an 8' radius cleared around him as nobody knew what he would do next

Í forget... there´s a few... Actually I think I´m about to start a GGMarquez novel... In spanish too! Oh and I´m reading a nietzche Antichrist in Spanish too.

Woaw and do you undertand anything?...I did´t even thouh it was my own language... :o

Currently reading The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, absolutely superb!

A bit sinister and dark in places and there's some spooky stuff in there that's true as well. Best read I've had for ages...

Sadly it's being turned into a movie (Tom Hanks) which will shatter the illusions this book offers!

I did´t like it very much and don´t believe everything it said...

You may like " Eight" by Katherine Neville...

A bit sinister and dark in places and there's some spooky stuff in there that's true as well. Best read I've had for ages...

Sadly it's being turned into a movie (Tom Hanks) which will shatter the illusions this book offers!

I did´t like it very much and don´t believe everything it said... :oWhat is there to believe, it's fiction?

I did´t like it very much and don´t believe everything it said... :oWhat is there to believe, it's fiction?

NOw that you mentioned i don´t know...but i have always though that the main thread was fiction but they sold the historical facts about the templar knights and the rest as true findings...

NOw that you mentioned i don´t know...but i have always though that the main thread was fiction but they sold the historical facts about the templar knights and the rest as true findings...

Yes and no. He uses bits that most if not all historians agree is true but he also uses alot which unproven, contested ground. So, that history thing is it's selling point. Like Clancy, he writes book which are based in military technology, alot of what he writes about doesn't exist, but being based on current military technology it is within the realm of believable.

Yes and no. He uses bits that most if not all historians agree is true but he also uses alot which unproven, contested ground. So, that history thing is it's selling point. Like Clancy, he writes book which are based in military technology, alot of what he writes about doesn't exist, but being based on current military technology it is within the realm of believable.

That´s is what i wanted to say there are many facts that are uproven...but i´ve got the impresion that they were post as real facts...when they are just theories to be tested...so I do not believe everything it said...

presently re-reading Living to Tell the Tale by GG Marquez...whotta read...as a memoir some of it reads like Marquez' fiction. Highly recommended, and not just to Gabito's fans...

Never heard of that one Do you know the title in Spanish?

Glauka- gabito´s fan :o

presently re-reading Living to Tell the Tale by GG Marquez...whotta read...as a memoir some of it reads like Marquez' fiction. Highly recommended, and not just to Gabito's fans...

Never heard of that one Do you know the title in Spanish?

Glauka- gabito´s fan :o

Vivir para contarla

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I have just returned from a four week trip working away. I always read a few books whilst away working. This time I read:

1. Lord Arthur Savile's Crime and other stories - Oscar Wilde

Wonderful stories including 'The Little Prince'.

2. Lolita - Vladimir Nabrokov

I found this a little disturbing.

3. The Political incorrect guide to Islam -Robert Spencer

A great book full of hidden truths. I am surprised that the book is still in print and that the author is still alive.

4. The Meaning of it All - Richard P.Feynman

A selection of his essays and lectures.

I am now reading 'Dune' by Frank Herbert. So far....not bad.

Am reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

Fantastic book, full of intrigue, adventure, drug running, prison breaks, blackmarket money laundering, prostitution & war and apparently all true!

Not bad for an aussie ex con :o