What Are You Reading?

thaibebop

UG put the bait away now....! :D I tried reading Shakespere the other day, non-sensical.... :o

redrus

Actually, I'm not trying to cause controversy. I just don't see how anyone can claim to understand the archaic language of the Bible. Of course there are lots of people who claim to love and understand Ulysses by James Joyce too, however, I am not one of them.

Yes, I know that there are so-called "modern" versions of the bible that are easy to understand, but I was brought up to think that they are just storybooks, rather than the actual Bible. Someone trying to put words in the mouth of the Lord, rather than the - possible - words of God.

By the way redrus, usually I'm raving about Shakespeare not being understandable to the common man, so you might see where I'm coming from.

UG put the bait away now....! :D I tried reading Shakespere the other day, non-sensical....

redrus

Actually, I'm not trying to cause controversy. I just don't see how anyone can claim to understand the archaic language of the Bible.

...usually I'm raving about Shakespeare not being understandable to the common man, so you might see where I'm coming from.

You may not be able to understand the archaic language of the bible, but I can! I also study the Hebrew and Greek texts which helps enormously. I have, and consult, maybe ten other versions of the bible as I don't agree with anyone who says they put words in the Lord's mouth. Anything that helps me understand is useful.

I also enjoy Shakespeare!

UG put the bait away now....! :D I tried reading Shakespere the other day, non-sensical.... :D

Well said Suegha.

redrus

Don't even go there! Shakespere is the greatest. :D

Exactly.

Shakespere is, the Bible isn't, blah blah blah.....!!!!! ThaiBP, et al, this isn't about religieon.

As I said before, a book is written to be read and, should be read as such....!

redrus

End of.....!!!!!

Dude, take the cork outta yer a$$! I didn't bring up religion. I just said and jokingly( :D ) I might add don't mess with Shakespere, because I like Shakespere. You are the one beating the Bible here my friend. :D

Shi*te, TBP, we've proper missed each-others points there. 55555

I 've never had a cork in my arse and, as for religion..! :D

I think I'm gonna stick to the Man United in Decline thread in the future.

redrus

Sorry, then, I thought you were being very serious. My bad. Hey, what's Man United in Decline? I have not seen this thread.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'suegha''2006-01-28 01:27:30'

You may not be able to understand the archaic language of the bible, but I can! I also study the Hebrew and Greek texts which helps enormously. I have, and consult, maybe ten other versions of the bible as I don't agree with anyone who says they put words in the Lord's mouth. Anything that helps me understand is useful.

You can? Well why didn't you tell me?

Far be it from me to argue with someone who actually knows what they are talking about! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

This thread is one of those which proves that we are all indeed very different. It has also shown that sometimes we don't 'properly' read each others posts. No one was doing anything amiss and a few people took umbrige - no problem, we've calmed down now.

Just one point, the 'man united in decline thread', message to thaibebop, don't go there, it's not worth it!!!

All the best to all of you...

Edited by suegha

'Cold Mountain' by Charles Frazier, wonderfully detailed descriptions of nature contrast with the idiomatic dialogue, I love the phrases used, direct yet poetic. I haven't seen the film but I'm sure it can't get under your skin like the book does.

"Bangkok Slaughter House" then when I have finished the "The Damage Done"

"The Damage done" was very readable, but hardly a great book. I did enjoy reading it though!

Would you consider Papillon by Henri Charriere to be a "great" book? :o

It has a lot of simularities to The Damage Done and would have to be considered a modern classic even though written by a fabricating convict with little education. It has been very popular ever since I was a child and continues to sell as well as many modern bestsellers. :D

"Bangkok Slaughter House" then when I have finished the "The Damage Done"

"The Damage done" was very readable, but hardly a great book. I did enjoy reading it though!

Would you consider Papillon by Henri Charriere to be a "great" book? :o

It has a lot of simularities to The Damage Done and would have to be considered a modern classic even though written by a fabricating convict with little education. It has been very popular ever since I was a child and continues to sell as well as many modern bestsellers. :D

Yes, Papillion is a great book, and also made in to a good movie!

This thread is one of those which proves that we are all indeed very different. It has also shown that sometimes we don't 'properly' read each others posts. No one was doing anything amiss and a few people took umbrige - no problem, we've calmed down now.

Just one point, the 'man united in decline thread', message to thaibebop, don't go there, it's not worth it!!!

All the best to all of you...

Some how I am not surprised. Thanks for the warning. :o

Agree! with the movie comment. I haven´t read the book yet.

The book is MUCH better than the movie ( many GOOD things happened to Papillon that were left out of the movie which was too dark IMHO), so do yourself a favor and pick up a copy! :o

So I was told by my father who is a great fan of the book and no so much of the movie. I will read it in the future. Thanks for the advice though. :D

'Fowler - My Autobiography' by Robbie Fowler

'It's about a kid from Toxteth who wanted to play football, and got a whole lot more than he realized when his dream came true'

Quite the literary genius is our Robbie :o

Did he actually write it or was it 'ghost' written for him?

'It's about a kid from Toxteth who wanted to play football, and got a whole lot more than he realized when his dream came true'

Quite the literary genius is our Robbie :D

I thought Eddie may have been pushin a little sarc there too.... :o:D

redrus

The Idiot by Dostoyevsky. It does take ages and the Russian names are a pain in the bum, but the story is great. :D

Now there's a literary genius, Dostoyevsky. You should also read 'One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich' by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. A great book and also a great movie!

Quite the literary genius is our Robbie :D

I thought Eddie may have been pushin a little sarc there too.... :o:D

redrus

You'd never know though, he could be quite clever - he certainly (in interviews) comes across as well educated - not like some footballers who can't string a coherent sentence together.

'suegha' date='2006-02-02 00:51:56'

Now there's a literary genius, Dostoyevsky. You should also read 'One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich' by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. A great book and also a great movie!

A quick read as well!

Yes, read them both in an afternoon and still had time to surf Thaivisa, then had afternoon tea, a quick snooze and up early evening to read the complete works of Shakespere. That night just watched some TV and had an early night, one doesn't want to overdo ones reading, does one?

ps Even the movie 'One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich' is a long haul! Sit there with sandwiches and a flask of coffee wrapped up in a sleeeping bag!

Edited by suegha

the unconsoled by kazuo ishiguro. love the way he writes, tho this is NOT his best work.

my favourite is "an artist of the floating world". beautiful prose.

I have that book. I tried reading it once but just couldn't get into it. I kept it because I thought one day I would try again.

the unconsoled is a beautifully written book. you need to suspend reality when u read it cos many aspects of this story do not seem logical. read it for the pretty prose cos the book does not have a plot. i swear. it just goes on and on. it apparently takes place in some german town. but the whole book is like a very long dream. nice.

read it. its great!

i did attempt reading the satanic verses once and could not get past the first 3 chapters...its a tad too profound for me. ditto for virginia wolf.

ooohhh and ive just finished reading nana by zola. tragic.

however, my forte is children's books. have read tonnes of them. favourite genre: fantasy.

the unconsoled is a beautifully written book. you need to suspend reality when u read it cos many aspects of this story do not seem logical. read it for the pretty prose cos the book does not have a plot. i swear. it just goes on and on. it apparently takes place in some german town. but the whole book is like a very long dream. nice.

read it. its great!

i did attempt reading the satanic verses once and could not get past the first 3 chapters...its a tad too profound for me. ditto for virginia wolf.

ooohhh and ive just finished reading nana by zola. tragic.

however, my forte is children's books. have read tonnes of them. favourite genre: fantasy.

I am sorry, I didn't say which book I had. I haven't read Unconsoled, it was An Artist Of The Floating World that I didn't get through.

thaibebop: its about this artist who used to paint war posters when he was younger. the book is basically a reflection of pre WW2 japan and post WW2 japan after the bomb.

the artist is a nationalist, he was for the war and believed in japanese superiority. thus, before the bomb, he was well loved and was well respected by society.

when the bomb fell, tables suddenly turned. he became a pariah for instigating the war thru the war posters the had painted.

its important that when u read an ishiguro book, what is implied,ie the nuance is more important than what is actually explicitly spelt out in the written form.

:o))

am now reading a suitable boy by vikram seth.

Edited by boybrat