Life In Thai Prison, Is It Really That Bad. ?

scorpio

No, i have no intention of ever setting foot in a thai prison or committing any crime on thai soil. Though have just read another book on thai prisons, have previously read warren fellows "the damage done " surely life in a thai prison couldnt be that brutal. The last book i read was about an english guy convicted wrongly ( so he says ) and sentenced to life 50 years of which he served 17 years before being repatriated back to uk. He talked about seeing people raped everyday, guards beating to death 50 inmates per month etc etc. eating rats, cockroaches. prisoners having sex with pigs ( damage done ) UNBELIEVABLE! !!!!

im sure the guys writing these books throw in a few horrifying tales and snippets just to make it a better seller. there was a guy from jomtien who died in chon buri prison a couple of years ago, he wad a friend of a friends and i heard rumours going about that the guards killed him. Also i used to know a thai girl, she served 3 months in pattaya prison for yaba and she actually told me there wad a russian girl in there who went crazy and was eating her own excrement.

has anyone any personal expirience or have visited a thai prison. Im intrigued and cant understand how any human being could serve 17 years in a hell hole like he explained and still be sane enough to write a book about it.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Edited by scorpio

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two friends of mine have been there, both guilty.

It is not good, I have seen the court system, the corruption, etc. Life in jail is easier for foreigners, a lot worse for Thais.

They want to sell books. Wouldn't trust a word out of any of these guys.

Honestly I would be much more afraid of being in a prison back home. A young white guy like me would be fresh meat for the rape buffet if I ended up in San Quentin.

Now you're just bragging.

I spent a night in the cells at Soi 9 Pattaya last year after over-doing the G&T's and getting a bit loud with the ex-wife drunk.gif

It wasn't that bad actually, other inmates were very friendly and looked after each other, including a couple of really upset people. Water was provided and some food the following morning.Did have to sleep on the floor though.

I soon paid the fine to get out at about 9.30 am the next morning though.

I met the arresting officer a bit later in the station whilst paying my dues and he sat down and had a chat with me. It was a salutary experience, but the jail itself wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected.

The TPV's were f**king useless though.passifier.gif

• Like 1

I do visit a few prisons in Bangkok along with the female prison when I am in Thailand.

How did I become involve? I am acquainted with a couple of people whose children are serving their time in there, so forwarding on parcels etc.

I would hate for any family or friend of mine to be incarcerated within thats for sure. The visiting areas (unlike the embassy rooms) are very noisy & frantic, but the surroundings are well kept and extremely clean.

Behind the scenes it is a different story!

Westerners are better treated on the whole than their Thai or Burmese counterparts because Embassies are involved.

Many British prisoners do opt out of the transfer treaty to the UK, preferring to remain in Thailand stating that conditions on the whole are worse in terms of "freedom" within the UK system.

Do I believe Warren Fellows? to be honest I am quite sure there is an element of truth in his book but with many embellishments.

David McMillan's book "The Smuggler" who managed to escape from Klong Phrem is certainly more believable.

I liked the book , Call That Hanging , where the main character survives an inner conflict whilst serving time in Bangkok , the writings pose many questions and so on , relevarnt to human nature . Let us observe this microcosm ; the inmates chatting . " It is betta to trust a suviva , coz you know he survived " , parled with " Dinnae trust a survivor , coz ye dinnae ken how he survived " , and on into infinity

I spent a night in the cells at Soi 9 Pattaya last year after over-doing the G&T's and getting a bit loud with the ex-wife drunk.gif

It wasn't that bad actually, other inmates were very friendly and looked after each other, including a couple of really upset people. Water was provided and some food the following morning.Did have to sleep on the floor though.

I soon paid the fine to get out at about 9.30 am the next morning though.

I met the arresting officer a bit later in the station whilst paying my dues and he sat down and had a chat with me. It was a salutary experience, but the jail itself wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected.

The TPV's were f**king useless though.passifier.gif

I think you might find it different in a prison rather than police cell.

• Like 1

Total b******s. If you give money or food to inmates, they"re OK. Thai inmates take care of foreigners, afterall, they

"re in the boat. Rape is frowned upon although I wouldn"t be surprised about the beatings. Everything you read in books is to sell the book. I actually believe that while outside prison is becoming backwards, inside prison is becoming more humane. There are far worst places to be detained than Thailand.

The time would fly if you use it wisely...perhaps to learn a hobby or craft, gain education or such. If you cannot speak thai when you went in, you should when you come out...might not be hiso thai, tad rougher...but hook up with a thai-chinese boy and you'll be right.

On a further note....they say that if you have money...life is not too bad in there and if you go by that book from the guy that escaped...he was on a pretty good wicket if all true.

But....how much....what is the magic figure per month you would need to lead a charmed life in prison.

You know, as a foreigner in Thailand, you can contact your embassy and visit inmates if you want to give moral support etc. I can't imagine anyone actually doing this but you could visit fellow countrymen locked up in Thai prisons if you wished, I'm sure they'd appreciate it. I saw a sheet about it the last time I went to the embassy in Bangkok and wondered what it would be like; they'd be really suspicious at first and you'd probably be opening a can of worms, but there you go.

I do visit a few prisons in Bangkok along with the female prison when I am in Thailand.

How did I become involve? I am acquainted with a couple of people whose children are serving their time in there, so forwarding on parcels etc.

I would hate for any family or friend of mine to be incarcerated within thats for sure. The visiting areas (unlike the embassy rooms) are very noisy & frantic, but the surroundings are well kept and extremely clean.

Behind the scenes it is a different story!

Westerners are better treated on the whole than their Thai or Burmese counterparts because Embassies are involved.

Many British prisoners do opt out of the transfer treaty to the UK, preferring to remain in Thailand stating that conditions on the whole are worse in terms of "freedom" within the UK system.

Do I believe Warren Fellows? to be honest I am quite sure there is an element of truth in his book but with many embellishments.

David McMillan's book "The Smuggler" who managed to escape from Klong Phrem is certainly more believable.

His story doesn't seem right to me. How do you smuggle long poles of bamboo. I can't see them fitting up your arse.

You know, as a foreigner in Thailand, you can contact your embassy and visit inmates if you want to give moral support etc. I can't imagine anyone actually doing this but you could visit fellow countrymen locked up in Thai prisons if you wished, I'm sure they'd appreciate it. I saw a sheet about it the last time I went to the embassy in Bangkok and wondered what it would be like; they'd be really suspicious at first and you'd probably be opening a can of worms, but there you go.

There's a tv show called 'an idiot abroad'. He visited Thailand on one of the shows and went and got a massage of a female Thai prisoner. Why would you do that. huh.png

The time would fly if you use it wisely...perhaps to learn a hobby or craft, gain education or such. If you cannot speak thai when you went in, you should when you come out...might not be hiso thai, tad rougher...but hook up with a thai-chinese boy and you'll be right.

yeah, you could swap lessons for favours. thumbsup.gif

Have watched the documentary ( big trouble in tourist thailand ) all the farangs interviewed whilst in prison still manage a joke and a smile so maybe its not that bad unless theyve been warned beforehand the consequences they face if the dont smile for the camera,s

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

This used to be a popular pastime of backpackers in KSR many moons ago, don't know if it still is. From stories I've heard it actually makes the inmates life more difficult.

Another Book,supposedly the inside story of the Bangkok Hilton,was "Welcome to Hell" entertaining but with the usual true story errors,and embellishments, but someone has to make some money,for all those lost years behind bars,so I suppose we can't begrudge them some artistic license.

Personally I believe there are a lot of other peoples experiences condensed in these "True Story Books"and passed off as one persons experiences.

My nephew ( Thai ) was in the young offenders institution on Cheang Wattana at 15 before going on to serve the rest of his nine months in Chonburi. Now at 19 he is doing 2 and a half years in Bang Kwang. Always for drugs. He actually says that it isn't that bad. He is a big lad though and maybe Thais aren\t so shocked by how it is also. He does speak the language so he knows what is going on too.

This used to be a popular pastime of backpackers in KSR many moons ago, don't know if it still is. From stories I've heard it actually makes the inmates life more difficult.

I have done this for nearly 12 mths. I suppose some prisons are tougher than others. The prison i used to visit is on Koh Samui where all the high grade prisoners are sent away to serve their sentences. Samui , being a low grade prison, from what i was told was not too bad. However it is still very crowded and the farang stay together. They are reasonably well treated by both the guards and the Thai inmates who earn money by doing the farang washing. There is plenty of food provided you like rice and chicken necks. I would take them in bacon, salami,cheese and bread rolls, visiting on a fortnightly basis. Generally speaking, they were contented to be spending their time in Samui jail and not elsewhere. The main guy i saw was an Englishman, not a bad sort of a bloke, but apparently a real conman.He got remittance for good behaviour. Whilst there he turned his time to studying Palmystry and from what i heard became very good at and in great demand.

I have done this for nearly 12 mths. I suppose some prisons are tougher than others. The prison i used to visit is on Koh Samui where all the high grade prisoners are sent away to serve their sentences. Samui , being a low grade prison, from what i was told was not too bad. However it is still very crowded and the farang stay together. They are reasonably well treated by both the guards and the Thai inmates who earn money by doing the farang washing. There is plenty of food provided you like rice and chicken necks. I would take them in bacon, salami,cheese and bread rolls, visiting on a fortnightly basis. Generally speaking, they were contented to be spending their time in Samui jail and not elsewhere. The main guy i saw was an Englishman, not a bad sort of a bloke, but apparently a real conman.He got remittance for good behaviour. Whilst there he turned his time to studying Palmystry and from what i heard became very good at and in great demand.

oldsailor35, you and I have disagreed strongly on some issues, your thread about riding in the back of a pick-up for example ...

But if you are visiting the Prisons with charitable intentions ... I tip my hat to you.

I try and make time each visit to get to an Thai orphanage and make some donations.

But never have thought of doing what you do.

Well done ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1