Short Notice Wedding Mess.

klubex99

Hey expats.

Hope you can help me out here.

I am up in Korat, and I am getting married next Wednesday. I opted to hire the clothing for the big day, on the advice of my future wife,

We did the pre-wedding photos a few weeks ago (don't ask why). I have to say that I hated looking at myself in the pics with the evening suit.. Thing is, i am a bit 'robust' in the beer gut dept. So my choices were limited (seriously limited).

Anyway, i am rejecting the suit for the wedding day, and i have been all over Korat looking for a replacement, buy or rent, its all the same to me as long as I get results. But problem is, i don't have time for a fitted suit, and nothing off the peg fits, we been all over the place. they just don't cater for fat farangs here.

Now anyway, i am off to pick up some of my mates from the airport on Thursday and we are going to Pattaya for a few days before heading up here, I know pattaya is top-heavy heaving with farangs of all shapes and sizes, so I am confident that i will score something there.

Ideally I am looking for an evening dinner suit with waistcoat and bow tie on a white shirt with the turn-tip collar ends. A bit James Bond if you like.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to be able to acquire these things in 48 inch chest and 46 inch waste and 30 inch leg??

Would appreciate the help, I can even handle the Mr Blobby comments ;)

I can buy or hire... not a problem, I can mail it back and leave C-Card on file.

Thanks in advance.

Issan...is tot the right dress a striped or check cotton cloth wrapped around the waist and pulled up between the legs and tucked into the waist.

Seriously you may get a suit made up very quickly but may not be very pretty. May be getter to go for the good pants white shirt and if you want to be formal a tie. Good shirts and ties can be got at Central or Robinson stores.

I used the suit that "Teerak Wedding Studios" gave me, but I tried on many and then told them which one I wanted, and it was dry cleaned and all was ready for the big day. I go married in a dark suit, and I also hated the pre-wedding photos in the studio, however the ones done in Hua Hin were fantastic, and I really hate my photo being taken

Most of the "suit makers" in Pattaya can do it however my personal experience is as follows:

I am very slim so it might cost you more but I went to some Thai/Indians that have a shop on walking st. close to the "King Seafood" restaurant and on the same side. They did the measurments there and then and told me to come back the next day at 1:00pm for a fitting. I did and was told it would be ready at 4:00pm. It was and it was custom fit and cost me only 2500 baht mind you that was 5 years ago but I do know they are still there.

Like I say, I think most shops will do it and if you tell them you need it the next day it CAN be done but my experience with this particular shop I can vouch for.

Most of the "suit makers" in Pattaya can do it however my personal experience is as follows:

I am very slim so it might cost you more but I went to some Thai/Indians that have a shop on walking st. close to the "King Seafood" restaurant and on the same side. They did the measurments there and then and told me to come back the next day at 1:00pm for a fitting. I did and was told it would be ready at 4:00pm. It was and it was custom fit and cost me only 2500 baht mind you that was 5 years ago but I do know they are still there.

Like I say, I think most shops will do it and if you tell them you need it the next day it CAN be done but my experience with this particular shop I can vouch for.

That's the advice I was waiting for. Thanks for that, I will go there.

Make sure you ask for double stitch. When i last got suits made, you had to tell them you wanted double stitch or else they will try to save time with single stitch and you will end up with a suit that can easly fall apart.

This is experiance from Indians in Bahrain. But I thought I would add, as it's relevant in any Tailor shop.

When i get suits made, i always ask for an extra pair of trousers (pants) made. The trousers (pants) normally wear out quicker than the jacket.

Edited by dean999

Make sure you ask for double stitch. When i last got suits made, you had to tell them you wanted double stitch or else they will try to save time with single stitch and you will end up with a suit that can easly fall apart.

This is experiance from Indians in Bahrain. But I thought I would add, as it's relevant in any Tailor shop.

When i get suits made, i always ask for an extra pair of trousers (pants) made. The trousers (pants) normally wear out quicker than the jacket.

Good advice on the double stitch. I never knew that but guess I was lucky wiith the shop I used. Have had the suit for 5 years now and still strong as ever. Most of them do speak English at least so you can describe exactly what you want as you said.

I will say that I did go into several shops first and ask how much and most were 4500 even back then so when this one shop strait out said 2500 that got my attention. I would sooner deal with someone who gives their bottom price FIRST then the rest that try to start high and barter down. These type of people I normally give a tip to just for their honesty in the first place if I like what I receive.

PS: To the OP. What day will you be here? Maybe I can take a run down there and get the name of the shop or take a picture for you?

Edited by Gone

I think you would be making a mistake getting a suit in Pattaya. They deal with tourists who want a quick factory made to measure job. Korat like most towns will have good quality tailors...they may be a bit harder to find. I would suggest asking a government official where they get their uniforms made. There are sometimes shops with uniforms in the window or there are more discrete places. The better ones of these are fully blown tailors and can make the finest of suits. Korat as an airforce town is ideally suited...pun intended.

I use a tailor in Pratumak 4 opposite the Asia hotel. The indian owner speaks perfect English and if you explain your time constraints he will sort something out for you. Not bought a suit from him but shirts and trousers are excellent quality, fit very well and the turn around time is great.

Pratumnak 4 is a 50 baht moto taxi ride from walking street.

Edited by rod2011

Good advice on the double stitch. I never knew that but guess I was lucky wiith the shop I used. Have had the suit for 5 years now and still strong as ever. Most of them do speak English at least so you can describe exactly what you want as you said.

I will say that I did go into several shops first and ask how much and most were 4500 even back then so when this one shop strait out said 2500 that got my attention. I would sooner deal with someone who gives their bottom price FIRST then the rest that try to start high and barter down. These type of people I normally give a tip to just for their honesty in the first place if I like what I receive.

PS: To the OP. What day will you be here? Maybe I can take a run down there and get the name of the shop or take a picture for you?

That would be great.

I don't mind paying, I got a pretty open budget.

meet us down there and I will buy you a few beers :)

Don't get married.DO NOT GET MARRIED FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN

Too late for that good advice I think.....all we can do is wish the guy all the best......and tell him..."Hang on...he is in for a bumpy ride" I hope it will be a good one.

Too late for that good advice I think.....all we can do is wish the guy all the best......and tell him..."Hang on...he is in for a bumpy ride" I hope it will be a good one.

Don't judge his relationship with the relationships you two have had with bargirls. Not every Thai girl works in a bar. I have been married for nearly 5 years and it has been plain sailing.

Why have people always got to put a downer on things. jerk.gif

Don't judge his relationship with the relationships you two have had with bargirls. Not every Thai girl works in a bar. I have been married for nearly 5 years and it has been plain sailing.

Why have people always got to put a downer on things. jerk.gif

My marriage is a great one. All mariages have their ups and downs........their highs and lows. Their sicknesses and healths their better for worse. My wife never worked in a bar either and you have no grounds for making that assertion.

Again. I wish the OP all the best.

By the way there are many great bargirls as in any other profession and some not so great. People here do not always have the choices that they may have in other countries....

Edited by Rimmer
Off topic discussion of prositution in other countries removed

dean you are right in a way but my comment was only joking..yes you have married a good women there are many good women that never worked bar i understand and very happy for you

but if his girl did work bar then i tell him now run run run ha ha

and no i have had no problems with bars girls.Because i do not coversate i just do the you know what then when finished i run run run

after pay of course ha

sorry english not good

and dean 5 years is nothing.come back in 10 years time and if you still togther i will be impressed

Edited by Markland

There is some very good tailors arond the same area as the old bus station and in the direction of the railway station in Korat. Your gf should know the area?

Did the pre wedding photos also.... while I found it hard work; the final pics were worth the effort.

We used a wedding shop in the "old city centre" ... sory dont remember name. Wife thinks it may have been Teerak wedding studio.... Staff had a good grasp of english and were unerserstanding of a stressed farang LO