Hensim Platinum...

Thai Chi

I had a look at a couple of models of these today. The price is right and they look the part......but I can find very little information about them on the net. except for this.....

Another Thai-made motorcycle, bearing the Platinum brand, is set to make its debut in the local market with the launch of a variety of brands on April 21.

The motorcycles are based on technology from a Chinese producer whose Hensim brand is popular in the United States, according to Ritichai Saisuwan, vice-president for marketing of Platinum Motor Sales Co.

Mr Ritichai expressed confidence that the Platinum brand's quality and affordability would allow the company to find a niche in a market dominated by Japanese producers.

Platinum Motor Sales is wholly owned by Somnuek Vithayaraksant, the elder brother of Sompong Vithayaraksant, the owner of the SEC Group, a major independent automobile importer. Platinum has appointed 70 dealerships nationwide, including 20 in Bangkok.

The company last week signed an agreement with the Vocational Education Commission to provide after-sales services at the commission's 500 institutes nationwide, which it will support in terms of technical training.

Platinum plans to offer a total of 28 motorcycle models, all with four-stroke engines. They include: seven 125cc family models priced from 28,350 to 31,500 baht; three 125cc and 150cc motocross models at 33,600 to 43,050 baht; six 150cc and 250cc chopper types at 43,050 to 71,400 baht; a 150cc sport model at 41,500 baht; six models of 70, 125 and 150cc scooters priced from 34,650 to 57,750 baht; and five 150cc all-terrain vehicles (ATV) priced from 91,000 to 140,000 baht.

I was very intrested in the HS150-9 Sport bike (Mrs Daddy was not :o )Bimi faring/wrap around plastics/decent sized tyres/ full guages etc etc. It has 3 ways of starting the engine, electric, kick and remote :D The drive away price was slightly more than quoted above at 46K Bht. However, the 250cc Chopper (also very nice) was selling for 66K bht.

Has anyone come across these before, and if so, any comments please :D

Don't touch anything THai made

I purchased a Tiger Ozone and it is the worst bike in the world.

To ride it is ok, but it is thirsty, and spend the first year having parts replaced.

I have seen the sports bike you are talking about and it weighs a ######ing tonne.

Save your money and the heart ache and buy Japanese

Don't touch anything THai made

I purchased a Tiger Ozone and it is the worst bike in the world.

To ride it is ok, but it is thirsty, and spend the first year having parts replaced.

I have seen the sports bike you are talking about and it weighs a ######ing tonne.

Save your money and  the heart ache and buy Japanese

It appears that the donk is made in China and the frame/body parts here in Thailand. Ill check the weight out next time I have a look, and hopefully get a pic to post. I agree with your Japanese sentiments and currently have a Honda Wave 125 for around town work :D

However, I have been know to be an impulsive buyer on occasions. I remember once in Oz I went out to get a tape measure and hammer, came back with a brand new Kwaka KLR 650 :o:D

Guys,

Last November I was in Milan at the Motorshow (motorcycles and bikes). There were a bunch of Chinese/Korean motorcycle manufacturers! The word was that these bikes are so unreliable and no worth the price. The material used are so under specifications and spare parts are not available. Something brakes down, might take a while before you ride it again.

The only business the Chinese were doing good was the production of blinkers, lights, horns and all those small accesories in a bike. In which most Italian or Japanese bikes all those accesories are made in China. But the engine is what is unreliable.

I would still think it would be better a Honda or Yamaha. But dont be mistaken, all these small Thai bikes....Kawasaki,Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, and Tiger all parts and bike are made and assembled in Thailand! I dont remember calling, but I think the Tiger uses Kawasaki engines, not sure!

No doubt the Japanese bikes are made here, but can you see the Japs allowing their name to be put on a piece of junk? I would imagine they have very strict quality control, same applies to their parts made in China and whatnot. I don't know anything about the tiger, so I can't comment. What I can say is stand one up against a same category Jap bike, take off the badge and spot the difference. Not a lot of money spent on R&D there.

I have a JRD (Malaysian), biggest load of rubbish on 2 wheels I've ever had. From now on I'll only ever buy Japanese, they're everything JRD isn't.

I got the 'Quest', In 14 months it's spent probably a total of 4 months in the garage for repairs, no lie. At the moment it's in for not charging the battery, it's the garage's 8th attempt at the same job!

This time they've lent me a little JRD bike, a copy of a Yamaha Mio, still not brilliant but far better than my Quest.

Sounds like my Tiger.

The first two times it went in I walked back. THe next time after that I just got on the first bike with keys in it and rode off. They chased me down and gave me another bike to use, always get a courtesy bike now.

Two fuel tanks, two or three carbs, bits of fairing, a set of sparks in 2000km's 10 or so back lights, a new basket on the front.

However - I rode it into a flood over the top of the bike - completely covered, and it kicked over after two or three kicks. SO its not that bad.

JRD's have ABS, mine has never worked, even the loan bike's ABS doesn't work! Sales gimmick. If I could sell it I would, but none of my local garages will touch it, not even in part ex for a new Yamaha.

To the original poster, don't do it mate, buy Japanese.

No Chinese bikes I've ever heard of, are popular in the American market, nor do they have any decent reputation. Besides, the only Americans who buy under-200 cc bikes are 15 year olds and alcoholics who lost their driving license.

The only over-250cc bikes sold in the USA are the Big 4, Harley, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, an occasional Moto-Guzzi or Aprilia...that's about it. Americans don't buy Chinese bikes, even as race-pit bikes.