Taking A Motorcycle On A Train In Thailand

TylerBKK

I am curious if anyone has taken their motorcycle (meaning either a mid sized bike or a big bike) on the train upcountry leaving from Hua Lompong station in Bangkok?

If so I would be interested to hear your experience. Things like cost, risks, problems, etc.

I am also wondering if your bike doesn't have a center stand how you could prevent it from falling over during transport?

And do they just stick your bike in a cargo car banging up against all other types of large, heavy, blunt objects?

Simply wondering how feasible it would be to get a bike up to Chiang Mai by train or that area to do some riding up there.

Cheers...

i know a couple of couple of people who got bac bikes either scratched ,dropped ,bent ,damaged and i dont think they care too much

just lash everything together with big ropes

theres probably insurance u can buy but i would rather spend the money on gas and ride there (maybe a night in a guesthouse half way )

I bought my Honda Phantom in Nakhon Si Thammarat about 3 years ago and while I was quite happy to ride it from BKK to my house some 400 km northeast I had no idea how to get up to BKK so I booked an overnight sleeper from NST to BKK on a Monday afternoon.

Oddly enough trains from NST to BKK go south before looping around to join the southern line from BKK to Malaysia etc.

So Monday I get to the station to find problem number 1.

The Phantom was to wide to go into the trainand after a discussion with the SRT guys I get the Honda into a pickup (at the cost of 1 or 200 baht ) and drive to Thung Song station (another 1,000 baht) where the bike is off loaded and onthe platform ready for the off.

A BKK train pulls in and the bike is loaded into the baggage van (at the cost of 3 or 400 baht ) and everything is OK, I kept the key and the steering lock was off.

The baggage vans in Thailand are nearly a metre off the ground hence the labour charge.

This was around 3pm but my a/c sleeper is no problem as the train isn't going to leave for a while.

Problem number 2.

Another train comes in and the station staff tell me that is my train to BKK. What about that train and my bike.

No Problem it will be waiting when you get there.

Oh sh1t, did I sign up for this?

Later the train with my bike leaves and we leave after that with me waving goodbye to my bike of 3 days.

It was a slow journey but we got into BKK about 5.30 am on time.

A word of caution, the Thai train toilets are like the ones in the UK in the 50s and 60s in that the empty straight onto the track and they are squatters.

I never liked them and going for a dump is not the best plan but needs must when the devil drives.

Anyway I get off the train and an SRT guy comes up and asks me if I am looking for my bike.

I follow him and there it is, unmarked and waiting for me (at the cost of 3 or 400 baht ).

How to get out of the station, just ride slowly along the platform and out onto the road.

I was quite happy with the trip on the train, dinner was a beer or 2 and some food I bought in Thung Song and breakfast was American (Thai style).

Would I do it again.

Not really as I now have more biking experience in Thailand and a good GPS otherwise I probably would.

bad weather ?

high speed highways ?

long boring journey in a straight line ?

need to bring the bike + a car full of boxes etc ?

many possible reasons ,but i would never put a bike in a train personaly

there is no journey you cant make on a 250 or bigger and i find highways exciting anyway negeotaiting between fast moving and unpredictable traffic :)

bad weather ? - wait and hour and relax or pull out the rain suit !

high speed highways ? - even on them you see waves and dreams going along the side and they do go 100 kph+

long boring journey in a straight line ? - So may wonderful back and secondary roads in thailand to explore

need to bring the bike + a car full of boxes etc ? - sounds like 2 wonderful adventures to me

many possible reasons ,but i would never put a bike in a train personaly

there is no journey you cant make on a 250 or bigger and i find highways exciting anyway negeotaiting between fast moving and unpredictable traffic smile.pngI can tell you there is really no journy (except toll ways and toll bridges) that you can't make on any running and maintained bike in Thailand. It's wonderful, go out and ride !

• Like 1

400 bht is a pretty good tip for those guys. I think it's actually their job to put the bike on and off the train.

How else can you get the bike into the baggage van?

They probably wouldn't let you do it yourself and humping a 160 kg bike up about 1 metre on my own would probably have done me a power of no good.

On the other hand the bike arrived without a scratch so the 400 baht could be construed as an "insurance" policy.